S02E16 The Get a Move On Episode
April 17, 2023
Theresa Destrebecq & Vincent Musolino
- What do you look back and think, "I would never do that again?"
- We do our best thinking when are up and moving around
- Gestures help us think through ideas
- "We use our brains entirely too much."
- Do we use our brains, or does our brain use us?
- Most of our best ideas come when not trying to think through something
- Thinking harder is counter-productive
- Protestant thinking is against fun and all about hard work
- Not wrestle with ideas, but play with them
- What is professional?
- Definitions of seriousness that drive our learning
- Rise of ADHD in the US and the increase in seat time in schools
- 20 minutes in nature was better for ADHD students than the medications
- More productive after micro-breaks
- Think will think better after a break, but think better because of the break
- Don't separate our movement from our work - invite movement into your day
- Walking meetings
- More accurate when walking while thinking (Radiologist study)
- Nietzsche had the best ideas while walking
- Mobile intelligence
- Not separate the mind from the body
- Level of conversation is elevated when we are elevated
- Afraid of chaos - children were "little savages"
- Play time versus work time
- "The opposite of play isn't work, the opposite of play is depression." ~Stuart Brown
- Emotional regulation being improved when spend time outside
- Importance of natural light to working
- The privilege of having access to green spaces
- Bringing nature into built spaces to support productivity
- Awe - the word and the sound
- We are not too different from our environment
- Leaders creating space for movement (modeling)
More yummy content on leaderlearner.fm