S03E05 The Everyday Authentic Leadership Episode
November 14, 2023
Theresa Destrebecq & Vincent Musolino
- Which superpower would you like to have?
- Definitions of authentic leadership
- Authentic leaders deeply understand their values, strength and purpose and use that to motivate and inspire others
- The ability of people to tell their own stories and help people connect to that story
- 4 Dimensions of Authentic Leadership: Self-Awareness, Relational Transparency, Balanced Process, and Internal Moral Perspective
- Vulnerability is a strength not a weakness
- How our unconscious mind interferes with authenticity
- Don't bring our true self to work due to cultural expectations, fears, peer pressure, etc.
- Authentic Leadership is self-referential
- Authentic leaders are proactive in looking at their biases and how they process people
- Leaders already think they are being authentic
- Self-awareness isn't a destination, it's a journey
- The 5 Rs - Review, Remember, Recognize, Reflect, Renew
- You can never say that you completely know yourself
- Don't crucify others or ourselves for our biases - we all have biases
- Own up to others your biases - ask others to give you feedback about your biases
- Authentic leaders lead as uniquely them
- Everything comes down to the strength of our core
- People claiming to be self-aware, but acting as if they are not
- How can one facilitate authentic conversations?
- Create spaces that are empowering enough to be vulnerable
- When you look into the mirror and ask questions, who responds?
- Connection between courage and authenticity
- Kindness and complacency
- Should we always be authentic?
- Authentic leaders know what they do not know and are willing to admit it
- Empathetic feedback
- Looking for the elements of truth in hard feedback
- How do we encourage people to take the time to reflect?
- Not look at what's right or wrong, but look at what happened and making meaning from it
- Every day has moments of authentic leadership
- Every day provides moments for self-reflection
Amara is a certified executive and leadership development coach with great passion for leading authentically. I work with executives and leaders to embrace authenticity, strengthen positive behaviors, develop new leadership capabilities, grow influence, and deepen impact. My clients achieve positive lasting changes in leadership behaviors.
Please check out her new book, The Truth Behind Excuses
More yummy content on leaderlearner.fm