S03E06 The Mental Health Responsibility Episode
November 29, 2023
Theresa Destrebecq & Vincent Musolino
- If you could change anything about yourself, what would you change?
- Should organizations provide resources for employee mental health?
- Mental health is still a taboo topic for many, especially in organizations
- Not educated about topics of mental health
- Shame associated with an EAP program
- Culture of "suck it up," "be strong," and "pull up your bootstraps."
- Perception of being weak - the stigma of mental health issues
- Is there a right way to support people around mental health?
- Community-based program to support employee mental health - feeling not alone by sharing with others
- Trust advisors in Switzerland - listen and provide options, not therapy or coaching
- Complexity of situations
- Neurodivergent employees and mental health - are they in the same box?
- Leaving your personal life at the door doesn't work
- Compartmentalizing our lives doesn't work
- We are meant to be in community with others - we are not autonomous beings
- Is community more important than the product?
- Sitting with our emotions, rather than trying to push past them
- Personal responsibility - where am I participating?
- Yoga, nap rooms, etc support the symptoms, but not the cause
- Provide the relationship space for people
- Continuity of support - more than just a couple of days off
- People who can step off the work highway, and others who cannot
- Pressure on employees can't be fixed with nap pods
- The CEO who was fired for providing more for his employees, but not focusing enough on profit
- Not about finding fault
- Mental health is not linear
- YES/AND - both individual and organizational responsibility
More yummy content on leaderlearner.fm