#36 - Does your company have a formal mentorship program? It’s easier to set up than you’d think, and is one of the best ways to boost safety in your team. In this episode, Shane walks through the benefits of mentorship, the differentiators between mentors and leaders, and how he recommends starting a mentorship program. We then flip it to the home and talk about the role parents play as mentors, friends, and parents.
If you have follow-up questions, you can always reach us at email@example.com.
To learn more about today’s topic, visit:
- [01:00] What the book Shane is writing is about.
- [05:30] Strategies to get into writing mode.
- [06:10] Contrasting mentorship against leadership.
- [08:25] Why companies need formal mentorship programs.
- [09:30] Who should mentor who.
- [11:00] How do we experience mentorship differently based on our Cognitive Colours?
- [13:05] How coaching differs from mentorship.
- [16:00] Who should mentor? Does being extroverted matter?
- [18:00] Should we look for mentors who are opposite from us?
- [20:25] How does this all change when we’re working remotely?
- [23:05] How do we balance mentorship and leadership without affecting a workplace’s creativity.
- [24:45] How mentors can get mentees comfortable with failure and growth.
- [27:20] Flipping this to the home, how does this tie into parenting styles?
- [30:00] How parents can help their kids navigate the many influences in their lives.
- [33:40] If it takes a village to raise a child, where is the village in today’s digital world?
- [35:45] Balancing being a parent vs being a mentor at home.
Mentioned in this Episode: