#39 - Is there such a thing as a “bad” workplace culture? How can you bring your team together to work toward a shared future? What role do leaders play in building culture? In this 2-part series, Shane breaks down the 9 step framework CultureSmith uses to “smith” a culture. First, Shane explains what a culture actually is (a lot of us get this wrong), then we cover the first 4 steps of the framework: Shared Future, the Cognitive Colours, Uncommon Norms, and Emotional Literacy.
If you have follow-up questions, you can always reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about today’s topic, visit:
- [01:30] The Surgeon General’s crusade against loneliness and how it ties into the work CultureSmith does.
- [04:00] How to figure out the health of your workplace culture.
- [06:00] The problem with employee engagement surveys.
- [09:00] Where the name “CultureSmith” comes from.
- [10:00] How many people need to work at a company for “culture” to exist?
- [13:30] Step 1 of the framework: Shared Future.
- [16:00] Moving from ambiguity to alignment.
- [19:20] Step 2: Identifying your Cognitive Colour.
- [22:30] What if people don’t want a “label?”
- [25:45] Why going into this level of depth is important.
- [33:20] Step 3: Uncommon Norms. Getting honest about your company values.
- [42:30] Step 4: Emotional Literacy.
- [47:00] Can other people “make you feel” a certain way?
- [52:00] Applying Shared Future at home.
- [55:30] Cognitive Colours in the home.
- [1:00:00] Uncommon Norms for families.
- [1:03:00] Emotional Literacy in the home.
Mentioned in this Episode: