The Lord an Abundant Helper.
146 Praise [b]the Lord!
Praise the Lord, O my soul!
- The Lord an Abundant Helper
o This is who He is
o Abundant means more then enough (pressed down, shaken together, overflowing)
o This is His nature and the amount of help He is ready to give you and I
o And anyone who calls upon the name of Jesus Christ
- Praise the Lord!
o Because the Lord is an Abundant Helper
- Praise the Lord, O my soul!
o Its repeated for emphasis
o The word “soul” is added the 2nd time to draw attention to the fact that his Help is eternal
o That’s worth thinking about twice (or more)
2 I will praise the Lord while I live;
I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.
- I will praise the Lord while I live
o This is the main activity we should be doing if we have been helped (saved)
o While I live means for ever and ever because He promised us eternal life
- I will sing praises to my God while I have my being
o As long as you have life and breath you should use your voice to sing praises!
o If you know for sure you have been saved (helped), then your joy should rise up through your throat and come out of your mouth (in song!)
o Are you full of joy because you have been saved?
§ Maybe you should tell you face about it
§ Maybe you should tell your mouth about it
§ Can anyone else notice the joy you have because you are saved?
· Is your salvation and gratitude visible or audible?
3 Do not trust in princes,
In mortal man, in whom there is no salvation.
- Do not trust in princes
o This means men of power or position or resources
o If you trust in man he will always let you down
o Man can never take God’s place (don’t up anyone in such high regard as God)
- In mortal man (there is no salvation). It only comes from the Lord Jesus Christ & not pastors or bosses or friends or doctors or kings, etc.
4 His spirit departs, he returns to the earth;
In that very day his thoughts perish.
- Notice what happens to mortal man
- His spirit departs (it leaves the body)
- He returns to the earth (from dust you were made; to dust you will return)
- In that very day (the day you die)
o His thoughts perish (there are no more thoughts)
o His opinions or words don’t mean anything anymore
o The point is (therefore, don’t hold man in such high esteem)
o He is very temporary (here but just a moment)
5 How blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
Welcome to the Outbless Weekly bible study hosted by bible teacher and humber servant Michael Metcalf
Thank you for listening to The Outbless weekly bible