5 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. 2 He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying,
- The sermon on the mount; the beatitudes
o I like to see these are the attitudes we should be (be like these)
- When saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him
o There is something entirely peaceful and godly to go up into the mountains to spend quiet time with God away from the crowds and the busyness of life
o Notice His disciples came to Him
§ We can come to Him in the mountains too
§ Seeking His face, His will, His direction, His correction, etc
- He opened His mouth and began to teach them
o Whatever Jesus has to say, I want to know and learn it well
o How about you?
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Pour in spirit speaks of great humility
- Bowing yourself before the King and seeking His will rather than own
- This is the opposite of pride
- If you come to the Lord “poor in spirit”, humble – you will be blessed
- This means things get better
4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
- Those who mourn are mourning their friends and family who have died
- It is heart wrenching to have a loved one ripped out of your life
- But don’t worry, you will see them again is what is implied
- This is why you will blessed in the end when you are reunited with your loved ones
5 “Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
- The gentle are those who carefully treat and care for others
- When you gently care for others, God notices it
- You will inherit the earth (this means you will own it without having to pay for it)
- You can’t earn a inheritance. It is simply given to you by a caring and thoughtful relative
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
- To hunger is to yearn for something
- To thirst implies urgency
- Do you hunger and thirst for righteousness (can’t wait for things to be made right)
- This means all that which is unfair and evil ceases to happen and God rights every wrong
- If describes what you feel in your heart, congratulations! You will be satisfied means you are going to see it come to pass.
7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
- To be merciful is not repay evil for evil done to you
Welcome to the Outbless Weekly bible study hosted by bible teacher and humber servant Michael Metcalf
Thank you for listening to The Outbless weekly bible