Matthew 8 - Jesus Cleanses a Leper; The Centurion’s Faith
8 When Jesus came down from the mountain, large crowds followed Him. 2 And a leper came to Him and bowed down before Him, and said, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” 3 Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
- Remember Jesus had been up on the mountain (away from the crowds) to spend time with the Father in prayer.
- His disciples joined Him and He taught them valuable lessons
o Mat Chapter 5 – the beatitudes
§ To be salt & light
§ To love your enemies
§ To live a higher standard (Christian values)
o Mat Chapter 6 – giving to the poor and pray
§ Be careful not give or pray to be seen
§ How to pray
§ Fasting for God in private
§ You cannot serve God and Wealth (you must choose)
o Mat Chapter 7 – Don’t judge others
§ You will be judges by the same measure you judge
§ The golden rule (treat everyone as you would want to be treated)
§ Everyone who asks, seeks, knocks gets a good response by faith
§ The narrow and wide gate (you must choose one)
§ How to tell a good tree from a bad one (measure the fruit)
§ Not everyone who says Lord, Lord will get into heaven
· Only those who do the will of the Father (obedience)
§ Build your life on the rock not on the sand
· Because the storms will come
- These are foundational lessons that disciples must learn and apply in their life
- Now Jesus comes down mountain to start ministering to others
- Large crowds followed Him because He did miracle after miracle in their sight
- A leper came and bowed down before Him
o This is the position of reference and respect (humility)
- He said “Lord if you are willing, you can make me clean”
o This was a declaration of the leper’s faith in Jesus the Son of God
o Remember everyone who asks, believing receives!
- Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him saying I am willing; be cleansed
o And immediately his leprosy was cleansed
o No other man would touch leper because its contagious
o Jesus touched him and healed him because of the lepers faith!
4 And Jesus *said to him, “See that you tell no one; but go, show yourself to the priest and present the offering that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”
- Jesus didn’t want too much attention drawn to Himself because it was not time yet
- But Jesus wanted the leper to show himself to the priests
5 And when Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, imploring Him, 6 and saying, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, fearfully tormented.” 7 Jesus *said to him, “I will come and heal him.” 8 But the centurion said, “Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed.
Welcome to the Outbless Weekly bible study hosted by bible teacher and humber servant Michael Metcalf
Thank you for listening to The Outbless weekly bible