Ephesians Chapter 5
Be Imitators of God
5 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; 2 and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
- Therefore (because of what we learned in Chapter 4 – “just as God in Christ has forgiven you”.
- Be imitators of God, as beloved children (little children often imitate their parents; this is a beautiful illustration about young children imitating their parents. This is what we should do “be imitators of God, as beloved children.
- And “walk in love” just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering, and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
- When we walk in love and give ourselves up – it’s an offering – it’s a sacrifice to God (not to Man) and its as a sweet aroma to God! God loves it…
3 But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints; 4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
- But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you as is proper among saints (don’t engage in ungodly activities or impurity or greed) – it must not even be named among you (not said)…
- … and there must be no filthiness in silly talk or coarse jesting which are not fitting (no swearing or dirty jokes or jesting which is kidding around about sexuality). Which are not fitting (it does not fit, you can’t put in on, its not your size, this means it’s not for you at all ! )
- But rather (this means instead) giving of thanks (instead of filthy language, silly talk or coarse jesting; this is what we should do “give thanks” for what God has done.
- For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. You can know this with certainty (it’s a fact, it’s certain, it’s true, it’s serious). People who practice these things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Some people think its ok to kid around like this but God’s Word says is not!
6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them; 8 for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light 9 (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), 10 trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; 12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. 14 For this reason it says,
And arise from the dead,
And Christ will shine on you.”
- Let no one deceive you with empty words (no one, no man, no woman, no false teacher) empty words are all words not contained in scripture. Words contrary to The Word.
Welcome to the Outbless Weekly bible study hosted by bible teacher and humber servant Michael Metcalf
Thank you for listening to The Outbless weekly bible