Hebrews 6 - The Peril of Falling Away
6 Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment.
- Therefore (because we have a perfect High Priest Jesus Christ which was confirmed in Chapter 5 – let’s get on with living a new life by the power of God
- Leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ
o This does not mean forget about it
o It means, got it, then move on now to what is next
- Let us press on to maturity
o To press on means keeps on learning and growing in your knowledge of God’s word, God’s plan and God’s purpose and run the race with a view toward winning
- Not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith
o Repentance and faith are paired together
o You must repent from your sin(s)
o You must put your faith in Christ unto salvation (these are elementary)
o Even a school age child can understand (now what)
- Of instruction about washing and laying on of hands
o Washing may be a reference to baptism (it is symbolic)
o And laying on of hands is how the gifts of the Holy Spirit seem to be transferred
- Acts 8:14-17 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they would receive the Holy Spirit. 16 (For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.
- And the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgement
o The resurrection of the dead is paired with eternal judgement
- All of these things are elementary Christian teaching
o We should all know these things very early on and then search and seek for else God wants to know and do (because of these things).
3 And this we will do, if God permits. 4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
- We teach the elementary things but then we desire to learn more and develop our relationship with Christ, if God permits (by His good pleasure implied)
- In the case of those
o Who have once been enlightened
o And have tasted of the heavenly gift
o And have been make partakers of the Holy Spirit
o And have tasted the good word of God
o And the powers of the age to come
o Notice you can be enlightened, you can taste and experience the heavenly gift!
o This is a verse in the bible that says “taste and see that the Lord is Good”
Welcome to the Outbless Weekly bible study hosted by bible teacher and humber servant Michael Metcalf
Thank you for listening to The Outbless weekly bible