John, Chapter 20 - The Empty Tomb
20 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene *came early to the tomb, while it was still dark, and *saw the stone already removed from the tomb. 2 So she *ran and *came to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and *said to them, “They have taken the Lord from the tomb, and we do not know where they have put Him.” 3 So Peter and the other disciple left, and they were going to the tomb. 4 The two were running together; and the other disciple ran ahead, faster than Peter, and came to the tomb first; 5 and he stooped to look in, and *saw the linen wrappings lying there; however he did not go in. 6 So Simon Peter also *came, following him, and he entered the tomb; and he *looked at the linen wrappings lying there, 7 and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings but folded up in a place by itself. 8 So the other disciple who had first come to the tomb also entered then, and he saw and believed. 9 For they did not yet understand the Scripture, that He must rise from the dead. 10 So the disciples went away again to their own homes.
- Mary Magdalene (to grow strong or great, a high tower; Mary’s name implies what she would learn; a risen Savior, strong and tall)
- Came early to the tomb while it was still dark (early to inquire about the Lord not late)
- And saw the stone was already removed from the tomb (something big & heavy happened)
- So she ran and came to Simon Peter (He who hears, listens) you have to hear this news!
- And to the other disciple whom Jesus loved (John which means Yahweh has been gracious)
- They have taken the Lord from the tomb and we do not know where they have put Him (Mary thought they moved the body and didn’t assume resurrection ???)
- So Peter and the other disciple left and they were going to the tomb (Listen God is gracious heading toward the tomb)
- The two were running together; and the other disciple ran ahead faster than Peter, and came to the tomb first. (The rock and God’s grace go together; the rock is the corner stone which the builders rejected and become the chief corner stone – this is a picture for the Jews; John (God’s grace gets their first; John represents God’s grace poured out upon the whole world to provoke the Jews to jealousy so that they would come in later.
- And he stopped to look in, and saw the linen wrappings lying there, and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings but folded up in a place by itself (John sees the linen wrappings lying there (they were not on Jesus anymore) and the face cloth folded up in a place by itself (interesting because this would not be possible with face clothes wrapped around His head with the normal ingredients which would it conform to His face and dry like a mummy; the process could not have been done by human hands; it would have to be more like Jesus dissolved and left the cloth whole and in tact so much so that it could be folded neatly and set down.
- So the other disciple who had first come to the tomb also entered then, and he saw and believed (the ancient Greek word for saw is “eiden” meaning, “to understand, to perceive the significance of”) and then John believed.
Intro to Outbless Weekly
Thanks for listening to Outbless.com