2 John, Chapter 1 - Walk According to His Commandments
1 The elder to the chosen lady and her children, whom I love in truth; and not only I, but also all who know the truth, 2 because of the truth which remains in us and will be with us forever: 3 Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
The elder (an elder has wisdom from time in God’s word and time with God, learning to walk by faith and not by sight; now an overseer of God’s house, the church made up of God’s children). We believe this elder to be John the Apostle who now about 90 years old.
To the chosen lady and her children (who are they)
- The chosen lady (would be under the control of the elder)
- This was likely a local church and its members similar to us being called the Bride of Christ and Children of God
- It could be a specific women but not named because of the great persecution going at this time
Whom I love in truth
- And not only, but also all who know the truth (this is the glue that binds us together)
- Because of the truth which remains in us and will be with us forever (God’s word is eternal)
o Grace (getting what you don’t deserve – Heaven)
o Mercy (not getting what you do deserve – Hell)
o And peace will be with us (peace from God Himself without any fear)
- From God the Father (the creator and utmost authority)
- And from Jesus Christ, the Son of the father (the savior and first born of the brethren)
o In truth and love (this is truth and it proves God’s love toward us)
4 I was overjoyed to find some of your children walking in truth, just as we have received a commandment to do from the Father.
- I was overjoyed (joy overflowing up and over the top; impacting others)
- To find some of your children walking in truth
o Some did
o Some did not
o This is an important distinction.
o Which one are you?
- Just as we received a commandment to do from the Father (God said it, that settles it, lets do it, make sure you walk in truth; not lying to yourself)
- To walk in truth requires that you reconsider your walk
o What are you doing
o What are you saying
o Where are you headed
o Are your thoughts and actions aligned with God’s word?
5 Now I ask you, lady, not as though I were writing to you a new commandment, but the one which we have had from the beginning, that we love one another. 6 And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you are to walk in it.
- Now I ask you lady (church, bride of Christ)
o But the one which we have had from the beginning (commandments from the very beginning can be summed up in two:
§ Love The Lord your God with all your heart, mind and strength
§ Love your neighbor as yourself
Intro to Outbless Weekly
Thanks for listening to Outbless.com