Just Live Podcast 035 - How is PERSONALITY Connected to your IDENTITY?
by Dan & Suzie Potter
Your PERSONALITY is a significant part of your IDENTITY. It is the set of characteristics and traits that define how you think, feel & behave in different situations and with various people.
There are over 2500 personality tests/questionaires ... WOW this can be overload!
Knowing PERSONALITIES helps YOU! And it helps you engage with others in relationships and social interactions.
Here are some of the BENEFITS of understanding PERSONALITY TYPES:
1. You can appreciate different perspectives of others around you
2. You can recognize individual strengths & weaknesses & challenges of yourself and in others
3. You can adjust your approach to others by being more aware
4. It helps you develop curiosity & openness to others
5. It helps you improve communication and relationships with others
6. It helps you resolve conflicts in a healthy others-focused way
7. It allows for increased empathy for others and self-awareness personally, and builds a greater sense of community & belonging
8. It will promote greater success in work and life, with more informed decisions
9. It will help you develop authenticity, being true to yourself, rather than conforming to social norms
The first PERSONALITY typing system we were exposed to in our 20's was the "4 Temperaments" (also the "DISC" or "4 Animals" test). It gave us real understanding of ourselves individually, and shaped how we uniquely raised our 2 sons. It also was a yearly training for us within OM especially how it relates to teams working together.
"Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator" was the next level personality typing system that influenced us comparing extraversion-interversion, sensing-intuition, thinking-feeling, judging-perceiving. We are completely different on each of these spectrums except that we are both more intuitive. This allows us to have a more well rounded perspective on life and people around us.
Learning our STRENGTHS with "Strength Finders" allowed us to show up strong in our unique gifts, and the importance of finding teams that are good complements of others using their strong gifts as a contribution to the whole.
The most important PERSONALITY typing system we recently encountered is the "ENNEAGRAM". We learned so much about ourselves and others around us using it, that Suzie got certified as an Enneagram Coach! We now use different parts of the ENNEAGRAM regularly in our "Seasons of Life" COUPLE's Program, coaching others, and general engagement as we journey with people.
If you want to learn more about yourself and your PERSONALITY with the ENNEAGRAM, feel free to take our "SIMPLE ENNEAGRAM" 6-part self paced course, coupled with 3 (or more) Coaching sessions.
Your IDENTITY is YOU! Knowing your PERSONALITY helps you see how God uniquely created you to LIVE FULLY ALIVE and help others do the same!
If you ever need help growing your unique Identity please contact us.
Click here to go to the MOMENTUM CHALLENGE 90 course