The Pain About Pain
January 17, 2023
Beth Anne Fisher & Kaylee Johnson
Pain...maybe it's not what we think and it's very real...
Book by Joanna Bourke, The Story of Pain: From Prayer to Painkillers
- Why this topic hits home particularly for Kaylee
- Quote from Dr. Peter Mere Latham
- The former paradigm of “Pain Management” - not simple, but it is complex and evolving
- Persistent Pain - has the quality of intact tissue (at least from what we know right now); not thought to have tissue damage after 3-6 months…so what keeps making pain happen then?
- International Association for the Study of Pain, updated 2020 definition of pain
- Pain as sensory and emotional
Carolyn Vandyken, Canadian physiotherapist
- Beth Anne adds that pain also has a spiritual domain, in her opinion. Research not quite ready to support this yet…
- Think of the emotional component as ‘distress’
Podcast episode with Elizabeth Gilbert & Kate Bowler
- Concept of ‘catastrophization’ - helpful and not? A scale that measures it
- The ‘Pain Volume’ knob - Beth Anne’s metaphor
Get in touch with us!
Beth Anne: firstname.lastname@example.org
*For educational purposes only. This podcast is not meant to replace individualized medical advice.