SPEAKER_00: Well, good morning. Wow, it is so great to have everyone in the room. Amen? Are you not in your normal seat? Just show of hands. Who's not in their normal seat? Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. All right? Well, it really is. It's genuinely a goal in this season where we're we're kind of casting vision and clarifying direction, our vision and our values and say, look, we're one church. You look across a church, you're like, man, I I need to get to know. I didn't I know them from somewhere else, not from church. I hope that our greeting times, my oldest daughter said, Dad, that was not long enough. I did not get to go around and say hi to everyone that I know at this church. I hope that you're feeling that sense as well. Maybe you uh would feel compelled to stay a little longer after we close. We have nowhere else to go but lunch and shake someone's hand and get to know them. I do want you to know that we have extra things because we're all meeting at once. We've got extra greeters, extra parking, uh, extra golf carts. There's overflow parking at Blue Hole. Our safety team is really organized and ready to help. And so if you have any question for any need, a medical emergency, or you need to know where something is, ask somebody with a lanyard. They're ready to help you. Got it?
unknown: Got it.
SPEAKER_00: All right. I cannot wait. We're gonna talk more about this at the end of the service. This is our uh devotion and life group, small group curriculum over the next few weeks. But if you have a Bible, open it up to Matthew chapter 28. We're gonna be in Matthew chapter 28. These really are the marching orders of our King Jesus. And uh, we want to settle in as we talk about vision to see how our vision really connects to the mission of every church. Every church should be fulfilling the marching orders of Jesus. And uh if you come to church here regularly, you know I love to take this time to pray for a missionary or a pastor, a pastor friend of mine, or someone that's walking through a big decision or a transition, or they've got a challenge in front of them. And today I'm gonna do something totally different. I might push you out of your comfort zone a little bit, and that's okay. You don't have to do it just because I'm asking, but I'm requesting that as I pray, you would open your hand. You would open your hand like this, and we would start our sermon time as we stand under the authority of God's word by really asking a few things. So if you're comfortable, would you open your hand? And in a moment, when I say, would you pray this prayer after me? I'll just lead you through a prayer of surrender to say, God, we want to know how you would change our lives by being a part of this faith family, how we would obey you in a different way. And if you don't feel comfortable, you don't have to say it after me, all right? But if you do, would you? So let's pray, and I'll lead you in a moment. Lord, we are gathered in this place to lift up Christ. I thank you for the joy that is in the room. I thank you for what we've already sang and for the fellowship and the prayers that you've already heard, for prayers that you're already answering, we give you the praise. And in this special season of our church family, as we walk through it this week, I just pray that my heart would be fully surrendered to you. I pray that I would be fully dependent on you, that I'd be walking with the Spirit, these things that we're going to talk about. And those that are in the room now that would be willing to pray this prayer, would you pray after me? Lord, I thank you for every blessing that you've given me. Lord, I thank you for this church family.
unknown: Lord, I thank you for this church family for this.
SPEAKER_00: As we walk through this vision from the Bible, as we walk through this vision from the Bible, show me if there's anything that needs to change in my life.
unknown: Show me if there's anything that needs to change my life.
SPEAKER_00: Show me if there's anything that needs to change in my family's life. Show me if there's anything that needs to change my family's life. Use me to be the light of Christ.
unknown: Use me to be the light of Christ.
SPEAKER_00: Would our community see Christ magnified through our lives? Lord, we surrender to you. We trust you. We trust you and give us the strength to obey you. We give us the strength to obey. In Jesus' name. Amen. Y'all were so bold. Thank you for doing that. I don't do that all the time, but I think there's something really unique and really special. You are in Matthew 28. We're going to just read a few verses, 16 through 20. But as you've turned there, maybe you're already there. Again, show of hands. If you've ever been on a cruise ship, I'm just curious. I've been on a handful of cruise ships. Show me your hand. If you've ever been on a cruise ship, every day there, okay. Now I know I'm talking to my people, okay? So here's the deal. I love getting a chance to travel. My wife goes really hard and really fast. Go, go, go, go, go see it all. The thing about a cruise ship is sometimes you just relax, right? The other thing about a cruise ship is there's lots and lots of great food. You can go down and get a hamburger, you can go to the sub shop, you can get a pizza anytime of the day, late into the evening. If you're really looking for the good food, you're going into the dining room, right? So they've got these special meals where you can order five appetizers. My wife and I went on a cruise one time when we turned 30. We were like, this is it. We got toddlers at home. We've got to invest in the marriage. And this waiter that served us was like, I saw that you really like the lobster bisque. Let me send you another one and another one. And then the next day while we sat at our table, guess what was at the table? The lobster bisque, even though it was not on the menu. And then every night we had at least one lobster bisque. We ate and we ate and we ate, and it was glorious. Just imagine if the cruise wasn't a vacation. Just imagine if for somehow maybe uh we worked on the boat or we had an extended stay, or or I mean it was it was a gospel boat, and I got to preach the gospel, and so I was stationed there for many months, and I ate and I ate and I ate and I never once exercised. I never once walked up on the top deck or visited the gym. I never got on a treadmill or a bike, I never got my heart rate up. I never once exercised. How healthy do you think I would be? Not our pastor team and our elders starting in January to Easter, we prayed and we prayed and we prayed and we said, God, how will we specifically at First Baptist Church of Wimberly fulfill this mission that every church has the same mission to make disciples? But what is specifically unique about us in this season, in this time, how do we connect to each other and connect to this community? And we came up with this simple vision statement. We exist to magnify Christ and share the gospel in our homes in the Wimblery Valley and beyond. Now, here's where this connects to the cruise ship, and I don't mean to step on your toes. That is not my goal, but some of y'all might accuse me of this. If you've been coming to church for years and years and years, and you've not once opened your mouth to speak up about who Jesus is, it's not very healthy. It's like living on a cruise ship and eating five appetizers and three desserts and never exercising. And we sit and we learn and we grow, and all of that is so important. But if we never pour that back out to serve others, if we never pour that back out to talk about the love of Jesus, just a simple phrase, did you know Jesus loves you? That'd be a great first step for many of us. Then we get unhealthy really, really fast. So here at FBCW, we exist to magnify Christ and share the gospel. We want to do that unapologetically and unashamedly so that we can fulfill the marching orders that Jesus has given us right here in Matthew 28. I want to read these verses. Matthew 28, starting in verse 16. Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him, they worshiped him, but some doubted. Some doubt is very important. They've already seen the resurrection. And there's some doubt. Some doubted. Jesus came and he said to them, All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me. Go therefore, make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe, obey is another word there that is in some translations, to observe or obey all that I've commanded you, and behold, I am with you always to the end of the age. Jesus gave us these marching orders. Go make disciples. Now, he's speaking to the eleven disciples here. Judas has already betrayed Jesus. And I would argue that he's not just speaking to the eleven, he's speaking to the church. This is why I would argue that because in John 17, Jesus is in the Garden of Gethsemane, he's praying before his cross and resurrection. He knows the pain that's coming. And he's praying. Oh God, unify these believers. Oh God, sanctify them in truth. Your word is truth. And then he prays and he says, I pray even for those Christians that haven't even heard. They're ones that are going to hear about me because these people are going to go tell them. I pray that they would be mature in the faith as well. So when Jesus gives a command to these eleven, he's not just thinking about the eleven apostles, he's thinking about all those that they're going to go and tell and how their lives are going to be transformed through the gospel and how they are going to be used to obey this great commission. You can look at Acts chapter 2 as well and read the book of Acts. By the way, I started my morning this morning by listening to the first four chapters of Acts. Because I want fresh in my mind what's happening when the Holy Spirit comes down. We read it in chapter 1. You will be my witnesses, you will be empowered, and you will be my witness in Jerusalem, all Judea, Samaria, and to the end of the earth. So if Jesus is only speaking to the eleven apostles here, why in the world is there that pattern and acts of the church growing like wildfire? I believe these 11 disciples are the beginnings of the Christian church, and Jesus is addressing the whole church as he addresses these 11 men. If you're taking notes, you can start just by writing this from Matthew 28. Remember the authority that Jesus gives the church. It's no accident that he starts by saying, All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me. Therefore, go out. You go out with my authority. Now, why is that an encouragement? Because we learned in the context that some were doubting. Do you remember those words? They worshiped him, but some doubted. Why in the world would these eleven that have seen signs and wonders, the teaching of Jesus, miracles? Why in the world would they be in this season of doubt? Well, just think about it for a moment. Before the resurrection, they were hiding. Jesus gets arrested. Peter betrays like, I don't know this man. He's cursing. It's a little slave girl. They're like, I think you're one of those people that are following Jesus. I don't know the man. Curse you. Curse me. Cursing. I don't know him. Then he's on the cross. And the pain and suffering. That's our hero. That's Jesus. Get off that cross, Jesus. What are you doing? Letting them put you to death. Even though he had said this many times in the Gospels, I'm going to be put to death. This temple's going to be destroyed. I will rebuild it in three days. I'm going to die. And I'm coming back in three days. He had said it over and over, but in the midst of it happening, there is a dark day in the life of these men that had given everything to follow Jesus. And yes, praise God, the resurrection has happened. We see that right there at the beginning of Matthew 28. But these men had walked through this low valley of darkness and doubt. And even though they're worshiping Jesus now, some were still in that moment of doubt. So when Jesus says, I want to start not by giving you a command, I want to start by giving you a reminder that I have all authority in heaven and earth. And I want you to remember that because I know some are doubting. And even in this of your doubt, would you know that the authority that I have I'm sharing with you that you might go and obey my commandments? You see, he had shown authority over earth. They had seen that. Demons flee, disease is healed. They had seen his authority over earth, but this is interesting. Jesus says, All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me. What's so important about heaven and earth? I think this is a subtle nod to the power of Jesus' resurrection. Here, Jesus is saying, just remember, death could not have me. Satan could not have me. There's victory, and I'm telling you, even if some that are doubting, all authority, not just on earth, but over heaven, has been given to me. And when I tell you to go out and obey me, I'm sending you out with my authority. My friend Andrew, he's a pastor. He loves to say about the resurrection. In the resurrection, Jesus kicked death in the teeth. And Jesus is giving them that reminder, this command that we hear, make disciples. It's grounded in the authority of Christ. The risen Lord's authority. One scholar says it like this the risen Lord's universal authority makes possible the universal mission to take his message to make disciples to the ends of the earth. Just think about it for a moment. The authority of Christ. We have these great Christocentric or Christological passages in the New Testament. One of them is Hebrews chapter 1. And it says that Jesus is the exact radiance of the glory of the Father. And by Jesus' word, the whole universe is held together. You want to talk about major authority? Jesus speaks, and everything in the universe is bound together. What about Colossians chapter 1? It says, For by him and through him and for him all things were created. So when Jesus says, I'm expecting you, eleven men, go make disciples. He's saying, You don't have to do it on your own authority. I'm giving you my authority. The same authority that holds the universe together. Jesus grounds his command to make disciples in his very own authority. He's saying two things here. The first is this listen to me, because I'm the one most worthy to be obeyed. Amen. Now some of you know you can omit, amen. Some of you are learning that. I ask you to do it so you can say, Yeah, that's true. Yes, amen. Or Jesus said, truly, truly. So when I say something like, Jesus can say, listen to me, because I'm the most worthy to be obeyed, that's true. Amen. Number two, Jesus says, When I send you out, I'm not sending you on your own, I'm sending you with my power. So remember that Jesus gives the church his authority. That's what we start with when we look at this idea of being a healthy church, making disciples. Additionally, I think if we're gonna be a healthy church, we receive the command that Jesus gives. Receive the command that Jesus gives. And he tells them right there in verse 19, go make disciples. Now, what's a disciple? Generally speaking, a follower, a student, a learner, a pupil. In the Jewish context, I mean, Jesus, Jesus was raised in a Jewish household. He's a good Jewish boy, and all the Jewish boys had rabbis that they followed along and they learned from them and they memorized the Old Testament. So sure, generally, there's this context of being a learner. When we think about New Testament discipleship, I'm reminded a lot of things that Paul taught us in Corinthians chapter 11, verse 1. Paul says this, be imitators of me as I am of Christ. And so if we're obeying this command to make disciples, and there's someone that we're teaching them to observe everything that we've learned to obey, we're saying, hey, if there's anything in my life that points you to Jesus, just be imitators of that. Here's what we're not saying. You need to look like me, you need to dress like me, you need to talk like me, you need to like the things I like, because all that washes away. The only thing that's important is anything you see in me that points you to Jesus. That's right. I think often of our son's addict, and many, many people say, Oh, he looks just like you, especially when he was younger. He looks up to you, and he wants to, he wants to be like you. And I've told him many, many times, you don't have to be like me. You don't have to look like me, you don't have to like the things that I like. But one thing I'm hoping, son, is that if you see anything in me that points you to Jesus, follow that. That's what disciple is. And so, can you say in your own life what Paul said in Corinthians 11 that there are people in my life that I'm leading, I'm offering life on life observation, instruction, and you would say to them, Hey, you could follow me as I follow Christ. And if that's true, you're obeying this command. You're making disciples. Now, before we move on, we we kind of have a to understand this flow of verbs in Matthew 28. Go, make, teach, baptize. And many scholars, much smarter than me, have reminded me several times that the main verb in this section of scripture is the make disciples. And every other verb flows under that verb. And so as we're as we're understanding this command that Jesus has given, I think there's a sublist here. What does it look like for us to make disciples? If the main command is make disciples, it looks like all those other verbs underneath. As we go along in our life, we make disciples. We make disciples as we teach them about Christ. We make disciples as they're baptized and there's life change and they're obeying. We make disciples as they observe what we've learned to observe. And so we have to understand this idea of making disciples is supported by all the other verbs. So, just by way of example, we make disciples as we go. So the main idea is to make disciples that sub-idea is as you go, as you live your life. We have people from nine decades of life in the room right now. From one all the way to 90 something right now. Which means as you go in your life, it's gonna look different depending on what stage of life you're in. But can I just ask the question? As you go to work, could you make disciples? As you go to school, could you make disciples? As you go to dance practice, could you make disciples? As you go to the baseball team, could you make disciples? As you go to visit your grandkids, could you make disciples? As you go into that nursing home, could you make disciples? As you go, as you go across the street and talk to your neighbor, could you be making disciples? I think it's both the intentional, I plan to go here. I was so encouraged visiting a few of our life groups this morning, and we had one person say, I would like to be discipled. I would like to be mentored by someone that's wiser in the faith than me. How do I do that? And we're able to have the conversation. Say, there's some very practical ways of saying, I'm raising my hand, I'm ready. If you go onto our website and register for one of our groups called the Discipleship Waitlist, that's the cue for me and the rest of our ministry staff to say, they're ready. They're on the wait list. There's a paragraph there that will say, hey, give us a week or two, give us a little bit of time, we're gonna pray about who to pair you up with. That is a planned, formal, intentional relationship. And I think that's part of as you go. It's a it's intentional. But I also think a part of as you go is the one that's not planned.
unknown: Yeah.
SPEAKER_00: As you go along your life, as you step into H E B, as you're working on that project, so you gotta run to ACE the fifth time because you're still working on that project. Like I told you, students, as you go into school, the as you go of the unplanned times when you have an opportunity to speak up about Christ. Can I tell you how much Jesus loves you? Can I tell you how he's changed my life? Are you committed to obeying that mission to make disciples? We make disciples as we baptize, and there's a beautiful truth. Here about baptism. I loved getting to do our creekside baptism just a few weeks back, and I think next week we're gonna have the opportunity to celebrate that. We're gonna watch a highlight video. It's gonna be wonderful. But all of the people they get up and they they share their testimony, they say, look, whether I've been a Christian now for a few weeks or I've been a Christian for several years, what I'm doing in my baptism is I'm going public and I'm letting everyone know there used to be a time where I only lived for myself. And then I met Jesus face to face. I knew that Jesus was the only one that could wash me clean. Jesus was the only one that paid for my sin. Jesus was the only one that made forgiveness possible. And I cried out to him, I said, Jesus, forgive me. Jesus, save me, Jesus, help me to obey you. And now what I'm doing in my baptism is I'm going public to say, that old person is dead, and Jesus gave me a brand new life. He gave me a brand new heart. And I want everyone to know about it. I think there's an important aspect of that when we consider being baptized among our church family. You're never baptized into a church, by the way. Sometimes that language gets said. I think that's not the best language. Again, I was proud of my son. He was praying up here at these steps, and he said, Would you just help us to remember that we're Christian first and Baptist second? That's who I am, right? I'm a Christian. I'm not a Baptist, I'm a Christian. I'm a Christian first, I'm Baptist second. But we're always baptized to go public with our faith and let our church know there was a day when I was dead in my trespasses and sins, and I cried out to Jesus, and he's made me brand new. And I want everyone to know that my life is for Christ. I'm sealed by the Holy Spirit. I'm living for him. I'm not washed by the waters of this creek or the waters of that baptistry. I'm washed by the blood of Jesus. I just want everyone to know that I'm living for him. And so when you do that in the context in front of your church family, what you're doing is you're asking for some encouragement. You're asking for accountability. You're telling those in your church family, I want you to help me grow in my faith. And if I've not yet been discipled, sign me up. I'm a candidate. I'd love to be discipled. I want to learn better how to obey Christ. And so we make disciples as we go. We make disciples as we baptize. That number three is we make disciples as we teach. Now, some argue here, we've already addressed it. Some argue Jesus is only talking to these 11 apostles. I think they're wrong. I think Jesus is talking to the church. And he says, as you teach, you will make disciples as you teach them to obey everything that I've commanded you. Most people look for an excuse to get out of evangelism. Well, that's just not my gift. I'm just not that bold. I'm just not that courageous. There's a guy that's written on evangelism, his name is uh Rico Tys, and he says the number one reason people don't speak up about Jesus is because they're too comfortable and they're afraid to get out of their comfort zones. One of the things that we're gonna be asking over the next five weeks is that we would say, Lord, yes, I'm uncomfortable, but would you push me past my comfort zone?
unknown: Yes, Jesus.
SPEAKER_00: I don't think Jesus is just talking to these 11. I don't think Jesus is just talking to those that have the spiritual gift of evangelism. I think it is every believer of Christ needs to make disciples so we can make disciples as we teach. Now, some have a formal relationship as I've described, some have a more informal relationship. I want to just talk about the Bible with my coworkers. Is there a way to do that? Is there a way for me to share my testimony, share my experiences, invite a friend to coffee and just say, Can I tell you what I'm learning in the Bible? And I think God is honored in that. But we've got to be teaching something, right? We've got to be teaching this idea that there's truth here, and we stand on this truth, and it changes our lives. It's one of the things you'll read as we're going to be encouraging you guys to take one of these books home. That's part of our 12 values. We trust in God's word. And as we make disciples, we teach people to trust in God's word. Now, if it's more of an intentional relationship where you are meeting with someone one-on-one or one on two, one on three, and there's some accountability, and we're all growing together, and sometimes we fail forward, and sometimes we celebrate victories. What you're doing then is you're teaching so that others would teach and that others would teach. Can I give you a verse that I love and I've got committed to memory? It's 2 Timothy 2, 2. Paul says to Timothy, what you have heard from me, teach to faithful men who are able to teach others also. There is a reality in that verse. Maybe you saw it, maybe you didn't. But I think there are four generations of disciples in that one verse. Paul teaching Timothy, what you've heard from me, Timothy, I've taught to you. Teach to other men. Those other men are able to teach others also. Right? So you got Paul, you got Timothy, you got other men, and the others also. Do you see all four of those right there? So Jesus always had this strategy. He always had this mission when he's giving the great commission to the 11 disciples, he's letting them know this is how my church will grow. Because you will make disciples as you go, baptizing them and teaching them that continual action of continue to teach, and then these that have been taught will be able to teach, and those over here will be able to teach. There's a big difference between addition and subtraction. We can we can add people all day long and say, Well, we've got, we're gonna, we're gonna add one more, and we're really excited. And by the way, I'm excited about addition. I'm excited when someone gives their life to Christ, I'm excited when someone joins the church, I'm excited when someone joins a small group. I'm excited about all those things. But you know what gets me more excited? Multiplication. Because we can have an addition all day long over years and years, and there's one more, and there's one more, and there's one more, and praise God, there's one more, and every person has a soul, and every person matters. But what if that one more gets trained up and discipled? And they're able to teach others also, and then they rise another one up, their disciple, they hear about Jesus, and someone they're moved by the Holy Spirit, have new eyes to see Christ and new ears, and they say, I want to know who cre who Jesus Christ is. Now you've got multiplication, and so I've got to check my numbers. You really smart people can check my math. But I love a piece of paper like this to talk about multiplication. I love the idea that if you multiply, you got two times two is four, not just two, three, four, five, six, and then you multiply again times two. Y'all know what that next number is? Eight. I'm not gonna be able to fold this ten times. But you fold it again and it's not nine, ten, eleven, it's sixteen. And then you multiply it times two again, and it's thirty-two, and you multiply times two again, and now it's sixty-four. If we're spending our whole life adding disciples and saying, oh, there's one more, there's one more, I think that's awesome. I think, praise God, he gets all the glory. But what about the fruitfulness of multiplying disciples? Because after 64, you get 128, and then 256, 512, and on that 10th multiplication, you get 1,024. Here's the deal: the power of multiplication is on the 20th times 2, you're at over a million.
unknown: Wow.
SPEAKER_00: We could spend 20 years adding people. I want to add one more, tell them about Jesus. I want to add one more to our life group. I want to add one more. They get some Christian community and all that's good and valuable. But what if we spend our life multiplying disciples? I want to teach them to obey so that they can teach others to obey and they can then learn and teach others to obey. Being a part of a healthy church is not just about getting a bunch of head knowledge, it's about asking the Lord to help us have heart obedience. Jesus cares a whole lot less about our head knowledge and a whole lot more about our heart obedience. And I think if we're committed to this idea to make disciples, then we help people not just have more head knowledge, but have heart obedience. I'm encouraged by a movement of God. I started reading about about 15 years ago in Honduras and India, where house churches are being multiplied and it's fantastic. And one of those teachers from that movement said, Don't you ever tell a new Christian to sit down and wait 10 weeks or six months till they know enough and then they can start teaching others. Don't tell them that. Don't tell them to sit down until you know enough and then you can teach others. Tell them immediately you met Jesus, guess what? You got a testimony, you can help someone else meet Jesus. You just finished John chapter 1, guess what? You can teach John chapter 1. If you've learned something about John chapter 1, you don't gotta teach the whole Bible, but you can show someone else John chapter 1. And the whole sentiment is if you tell someone when they first give their life to Christ and they first become a Christian, go ahead and sit for a little bit. Guess what the temptation is? To keep sitting. Yeah, keep sitting and keep sitting, and keep sitting and keep sitting, and before you know, you've sat for a year or three or five. I want to be a church that magnifies Christ to shares the gospel. We don't need to be a church full of people just sitting around. We need to be a church full of people who are making disciples. Here's the honest question Is it possible that you yourself have been sitting too long in church? Because I guarantee you, if you use this as a devotional, if you use this uh with your small group to really be challenged and answer these questions and be self-reflective, ask the Holy Spirit to lead you and grow you. You're gonna hear things like serving inside and outside the walls of the church. And you say, I don't want to be sitting around, I want to use my gifts. You're gonna hear things like building Christ-centered homes. You say, Okay, I gotta be the primary faith trainer in my home. You're gonna hear things like intentional discipleship that multiplies. Well, you can't just sit around and let that happen in front of you. I want every person to be a part of it. Another pastor that I look up to, his name is David Play. He said, God did not save us for you to sit and soak in a pew. He saved us to send us. We make disciples as we teach. Everyone has a part to play. I want to pause for a few minutes and connect this specific vision. We magnify Christ, share the gospel in our homes, the Wimberley Valley, and beyond. I want to connect that to things already happening in our church and things that are gonna continue to happen in our church. The first time the church got to see this from our pastor team, it was April, the last Sunday in April, and I did something I'm gonna do again, just to wake y'all up. We just got a few more minutes, but y'all need to wake up, okay? There's 12 core values. In those 12 values, there's four categories. Glorify God, abide in Christ, connect in community, multiply disciples. And I'm not expecting anyone to memorize all 12 of those. Maybe those categories would be helpful for you. What I am hoping is when someone out in our community says, What is First Baptist Wimberly all about? That you would be able to articulate. We magnify Christ and share the gospel. Did you know that seven words? And you're gonna practice right now because I'm gonna ask you to repeat after me. We magnify Christ and share the gospel. What is First Baptist Wimberly all about? Let me just tell you, we magnify Christ. We magnify Christ and we share the gospel. Amen. It's seven words, and that is how we in this place in the Wimberly Valley, right here in Central Texas, are gonna say every church should be fulfilling Matthew 28 as a great commission. How are we gonna do it specifically in this context? Okay, we're gonna focus on something. Our lives need to count for Jesus. We live for his glory, we are the light of Christ, and we share the gospel. Just briefly, magnify Christ in our homes, in the Wimley Valley and beyond. Jesus teaches in the Sermon on the Mount that you are the salt of the earth, you are the light of the world. Why would you put a basket over that light? No, no, no. Open it up and let everybody see it. He closes that section by saying that people would see your good deeds and glorify God who is in heaven. When we magnify Christ in our lives, we live distinctively Christian and we're different, and the watching world sees it. In this curriculum, it's a helpful illustration about magnifying. Don't think of magnifying as a microscope to make something really, really small look big so we can see it with our human eye. No, flip that around. See magnifying as a telescope. Something really awesome and really grand that's all the way out there that we can't determine how awesome it is with our human eye. We need a telescope to magnify that, and then we just say, Whoa, that's awesome. Did you know if God's using your life as a telescope to magnify Christ, you would live in such a way that someone looks at you and says, Hey, there's something different. There's something awesome about you, and I want to know what it's all about. And you say, I'm gonna magnify Christ. Someone tell you, Jesus has changed me from the inside out. I'm surrendered to him. Philippians is something that we've been teaching recently here at our church, and we're gonna finish it after this five-week series. But in chapter two, Paul says to the Philippians who have trusted Jesus, you, you are like lights in the world. You're like shining stars in a dark, crooked, depraved generation. And everything is downward spiral into darkness and evil. But you, because you love Jesus, because Jesus has changed your life, you are like lights in the world shining. And when people see us, they should see Jesus. Amen. So that's how we're specifically gonna say we want to live our lives in such a way that no matter where we are out in the community, no matter what school we're attending, no matter where we are in the workplace, no matter where we live, people see us and say, Hey, hey, they're they're making Jesus look good. They're magnifying Christ. Their actions, their attitudes, and the way that they love people, and their their optimism, their joy, their positivity, their their quickness to forgive, and their slowness to get anger, all the things that we see in the New Testament. We are called to magnify Christ, starting in our very homes, in this valley and beyond. And then, secondly, we share the gospel in our homes, in the Wimberley Valley and beyond. I think of 1 Peter 3 15 here. In your hearts, regard Christ as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone that asks of you for the reason, for the hope that's in you, yet do this with gentleness and respect. You can think of Acts 1.8. We're supposed to be the witnesses of Jesus. You can think of Matthew 28, we are making disciples. Think of 1 Corinthians chapter 5. We are ambassadors for Jesus. It starts in our home. If you have little ones in your home, you are the primary faith trainer. That is a core value here at this church. If you are raising kids birth to 18, we want to give you all kinds of tools and all kinds of resources to celebrate the milestones, to have intentional faith talks, to capture the God moments so that you're building a Christ-centered home. Because this starts right there in your home. Share the gospel where? In my home. You're a grandkid, excuse me, you have grandkids, you're a grandparent. It starts right there. You get to be a legacy grandparent. Where are you sharing the gospel? With my grandkids. I want to make sure they know who Jesus is. I want to make sure they're growing. I want to make sure they understand how to read the Bible. And then in this Wimberley Valley, how are we sharing the gospel in this Wimberley Valley? Just a few examples to encourage you. We had a prayer request last week. I'm not even going to embarrass anyone because I don't know the name. They say, pray, pray for this person I met at the DMV. Because somehow I stopped and we talked about the Lord. I don't know what was said because the name wasn't on this card, but we prayed for the person at the DMV. And they met them, they talked to them. Maybe they shared the gospel with them. They at least said, I'll be praying for you. That's how we can be the light of Christ in this valley. Amen.
unknown: That's right.
SPEAKER_00: I told you there was a young lady in our church in her 20s that got really passionate, has some free time, is sharing the gospel at Texas State, going on her own every week, handing out tracts and Bibles, and she literally got kicked off of campus. Today, right now, the president of that school is a guest at a church plant that we partner with. And I'm like, I hope the president should know that people are getting kicked off campus for handing out Bibles. Where are we sharing the gospel? Sharing the gospel of Texas State. About a month ago, I have a church member connected to one of his old pastors that has made this available for people that are interested. This has a church member's name and phone number on it. And it just has this phrase, Everlasting Life Today. How to have everlasting life with the QR code. You scan it and you go to a gospel presentation. Now I would I would love for you to speak the gospel. If you're just looking for a step forward in that, you can get these cards printed and you can put them everywhere. You can put them on gas pumps, you can hand them out to people that you meet and say, Hey, I don't know if you know about Jesus, but I just want you to know that here's how you can have everlasting life. There is no other name given among men by which we must be saved but the name of Jesus. And I want you to know about it. That's how we share the gospel in this Wimberley Valley and beyond. Y'all have seen testimony of church members going to Central Asia, to Ireland, church members going to Colombia. Currently, right now, as we speak, we have a church member planning a trip for Mexico. There's a Spanish-speaking church that meets on our property every Sunday night. They send out one of their deacons. He's pastoring in the mountains of Mexico, and we're trying to figure out how do we get there. How do we get there to partner alongside of them? And I hope that you hear more about that. That's happening right now. I have no idea what the update is because I'm really excited that it's happening and I don't have to be in the middle of it all. How are we going to be on? We are taking this message. Jesus saves, Jesus loves you. Jesus is the way and the truth and the life, and no one comes to the Father but through him. We're putting it in our homes, in the Wimmerly Valley, and beyond. We want to magnify Christ and share the gospel. Would you be a part of that adventure?
unknown: Yes.
SPEAKER_00: So we remember the authority. We received the command. Here's the last main point. We remember the promise that Jesus gives to the church. The promise is his presence. Verse 20, teaching them to observe all that I've commanded you, and behold, I'm with you always to the end of the age. You don't have to know about the omnis, but if you know about the omnis of God, you know about his omnipotence, he's all powerful. You know about his omnipresence, he's everywhere all at once, and you know about his omniscience, he's all-wise, all knowing. Well, right here, as Jesus gives this command, he grounds it in his authority, and then he sandwiches it at the end by saying, Behold, I'm with you. Behold, I'm not going to leave you or forsake you. Behold, my presence is with you. So, right in the middle of the command to make disciples, we have his omnipotence. He has all authority and all power and his omnipresence. I'm with you. I got your back. I'm not going anywhere. I'm with you. Go wait for the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit's coming down. Holy Spirit's gonna empower you. Behold, I'm with you to the end of the age. Do you know that we want the presence of God every time we gather as this church body? That's why we pray. And sometimes we're like, that's a long prayer. I don't know, I get distracted. My mind just wanders, and I say, Well, just keep practicing praying because we're asking for the presence of God to be palpable when we gather for worship, to sit under the word, and have fellowship.
unknown: Yes.
SPEAKER_00: Sometimes I've been tempted in my life to yearn for those powerful moments. Maybe you've had them, you've been in church, and you sing that one song. You're like, God, I feel your presence in the room. Maybe you've been to all night prayer rallies. Maybe you've done things like secret church where you just study the Bible all night long. Maybe you've fasted and prayed. Maybe you've been to multi-church gatherings or a Forrest Frank concert or Phil Wickham in Brandon Lake. You're like, I feel God's presence right here. I want more of God. If you're anyone is with me, just say amen. I've been there. Man, I remember very specific moments in my life where I feel like, Lord, your presence is right here. And so often I'm tempted to pursue that in big Christian Christians. Concerts or big worship gatherings or serious ardent prayer meetings. But did you know that Jesus said you can have it anytime you want? Just go share the gospel. Just go make disciples. And if you make disciples, I'm here with you. My presence is with you. Remember that Jesus promised his presence. We have his presence with us everywhere we go. And did you catch that as we come to an end? With you always to the end of the age. That reminds us that Jesus is coming back. Amen. It's only a time between the times where we get to be face to face with Jesus. And he brings his bride in purity and says, You've been washed by my blood. I'm going to spend eternity with you. And so while we're still here in this broken upside-down world in the time between the times, can we make that commitment? Say, Jesus, if you haven't come back yet, we're going to magnify you and share the gospel. We're going to obey your marching orders. We're never going to lose sight of the fact that it's your authority, not ours. And that we go with your presence. So I asked you at the beginning of this time, would you open your hand and say, God, does anything need to change? We're going to pray and we're going to sing. And I challenge you to ask that same question. God, does anything need to change? That I might better fulfill this great commission. That I would be excited about joining and partnering with a church family that seeks to fulfill this great commission with a very specific, clear directive. Magnify Christ and share the gospel in our homes, in the Wimley Valley, and beyond. Let's pray. Jesus, thank you that you don't leave us or forsake us. Jesus, thank you that you remind us of your presence. Thank you that your authority is what we're going out with. Jesus, we thank you that even in a time like this in our church in 2026, in this place in Wimberley, that there's so much excitement. You've done great things in and through this church. You've done great things in the past. But I'm excited about the great things that you still want to accomplish in and through us. And so I just pray that collectively as a church, whether we go into small groups thinking and praying this way, whether we individually in our times with you during the week, and we're in the scriptures thinking and praying this way, I just pray that you would put us all together on the same page. Let's strive for the unity, Jesus, that you already bought and paid for. Help us to see more and more examples in the life of individuals in our church and say, man, you're magnifying Christ, you're doing it. That's awesome. Help it be very, very clear individually what might need to change in our lives. So even as we have this moment of response, if you want to come and just pray at these steps, if you want to talk to a pastor or minister, come and speak to us. If you would just in your seat say, Lord, I think this is the thing that would just a tweak here and your strength there and your grace to cover that area. Lord, I think I think I would better magnify the name of Jesus and live my life to share the gospel. In any way, God, we are responding to you. Do business with us in this moment. We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.
unknown: Amen.