Late Night Internet Marketing with Mark Mason -- Affiliate Marketing Tips, Online Business Advice, Email Marketing and SEO
Why I Invest In Social Media Marketing World [LNIM132]
Mar 23, 2017
Mark Mason - Entrepeneur and Online Business Coach
Why attend conferences?
That's a pretty darn good question. Someone asked me recently why I choose to invest in conferences like Social Media Marketing World each year. After all, the actual cost of attending a conference is not small when you consider the airfare, hotel and conference registration.
But more than the actual cost is the opportunity cost. For me personally, spending days at a conference carries the cost of not doing other things. This week, I'll be falling behind on my podcast, taking time off my day job and missing my daughter's soccer game all so I can participate in Social Media Marketing World.
So why attend conferences?
As it happens, I have five very clear reasons for investing (that's how I see it) in conferences, and Social Media Marketing World is at the top of my “must attend” list.
Also in this episode, I discuss how DropBox saved me last week and offer a few tips on using DropBox. If you're not using DropBox, you might want to give it another look. Not only that, I take a look at this quote commonly attributed to John Wesley that he probably never said:
I set myself on fire and people come to watch me burn.
1. “Light yourself on fire with passion and people will come from miles to watch you burn.” – This quote is attributed to John Wesley but often misquoted. There is also a significant amount of debate among legitimate historians if he really said it, but whatever the case is, I love this for marketing. Whoever said this quote, our enthusiasm should have this same level of intensity. When people sense this, they will be attracted to your brand, to your message and will help you rise above everyone else. Note though that passion is not enough, it should also be overlain with purpose. You may have passion but it may not be suitable for business so go for sustainable interest as there will be a lot more opportunity for you to be successful.
2. Dropbox is a cloud synching service where any file you put in Dropbox will appear in any other system that you installed Dropbox on. Here are tips of how you can get the most out of Dropbox:
• You can get a basic account with 2GB worth of space but you can refer Dropbox to your friends and every sign up will give you additional 500MB. A cool way to start!
• If you delete a file, Dropbox keeps it for 30 days. You can restore files and folders back if you realize you still need them.
• You can set Dropbox to automatically seek out and upload photos from your mobile. Awesome!
• Dropbox offers two-step verification so turn this on for extra security.
• Dropbox is the perfect solution for sharing monster files.
• You can turn on the Selective Synch feature so you can choose the directories or devices that you want to synch it with.
• A lot of cross platform applications that exist both on Android, Mac or PC shares settings with Dropbox.
3. Why am I going to Social Media Marketing World? It’s expensive so what’s the point? Here is a list of why I bother:
• It is an opportunity for me to reconnect with people that I have met over the last 10 years both online and in real life. This is something that I really enjoy so this is fulfilling for me. For my Mastermind group, this is the one time every week that we can all be physical together so I highly value this.
• It gives me an opportunity to meet new people and add them to my list of friends. Getting this opportunity and exposure to people I do not usually rub elbows with is very rewarding.
• There is an enormous amount of content in this conference. The number of ideas that I come out with is amazing.
• I am privileged that I can help and give answers. I have given a talk, hosted a panel and led sessions. This opens up opportunities and gave me the chance to say thanks.