Late Night Internet Marketing with Mark Mason -- Affiliate Marketing Tips, Online Business Advice, Email Marketing and SEO
Need actionable email marketing tips that you can put to work in your business starting today? This week we welcome Terry Dean to the podcast. Terry has been making a living online for over two decades (wow), and is an email marketing expert. Terry offers amazing email marketing tips not only from his own direct personal experience, but also from his many coaching clients.
Terry Dean is a legend. He has been doing the internet business thing full-time since 1996. Better still, Terry has helped thousands of entrepreneurs just like you get started building their online business. A resident of Dunnellon, Florida, Terry is married and has 2 dogs.
One of the things that I love about this interview with Terry is how he authentically shares his own origin story about delivering pizza for Little Caesar’s (Pizza! Pizza)
. My reaction is that if a pizza delivery guy like Terry can make online business work, then so can you.
In the episode, you’ll find out the three critical elements that should be in every email that you send, and why just delivering massive value is not enough.
The money, truly, is in the list — its true two decades ago and is true today. With 21 years of experience in his arsenal, Terry has tips for us to boost our profits using our email lists. Here are the fundamental things in line with email philosophy:
* To build a list, focus on the audience first. Everything you do, think about your audience. The first thing that you need to have is a lead magnet and this equates to a freebie that you give away to get people to subscribe to your list. Lately, Terry calls this a ‘Free Preview’ as he views that gift that he gives as a bridge to whatever I am offering next. If it is a tennis client, for example, you can give him a free video on how to improve his serve once he opts in, and then give him a link to the first product for sale. Since it’s about the serve, we will give him a product or an item related to that. You offer him the next step after, that’s why Terry calls it the Free Preview. With this simple system, their clients would usually bump their sales up to 30% – 50% within 24 hours. There is no need to warm the prospect up, you ride the momentum.
* Split test. People don’t test nearly as often as they talk about it. Terry would test different affiliate pages to see which ones would sell best. You can have switch three different offers and see which ones resonates best to the kind of traffic in that landing page. When you are starting out, don’t worry about the colors of your buttons or things like that instead, test big things such as main headlines, offers, or prices.
* Once you gain a subscriber in your email list, start sending out emails using auto-responders or broadcast messages. For beginning, Terry suggests auto-responders upfront to establish a relationship. The biggest mistakes that you can do is to send a whole bunch of promos, which can burn your list really fast, and the other one is sending content without promoting anything. The latter is hard to fix in the long run because it’s not going to build you a list that’s going to buy from you. What you want to do is to give value but it needs to be in contrarian in content especially in the beginning. In means that when everybody else is saying X, but I say the problem is Y instead. You will want your content to be contrarian and different with what others are saying and to start off, you can use the ‘rant style’ type of email. It gets your email noticed in the midst of the noisy marketplace.
* For affiliates, the best email that you can send to promote any affiliate program is a case study for their product. Buy their product, use their product, and tell people the results.
* Value is more than just content. It is direction and guidance from someone you ...