Late Night Internet Marketing with Mark Mason -- Affiliate Marketing Tips, Online Business Advice, Email Marketing and SEO
Technical issues like affiliate website hosting can often seem scary. They certainly don’t have to be. In this episode, I explain the different kinds of hosting you might choose to use for your affiliate site. If you are just starting out, I recommend you use shared hosting at SiteGround
. I’m using SiteGround for several of my sites, and I really like it. We’ll be hosting the new niche site on SiteGround shared hosting, and in this episode I explain why.
My friend and mastermind colleague Ray Edwards published a video this week about why he stopped watching The Walking Dead. We discuss my thinking about why he might be on the right track. During the discussion, I recall one of my favorite quotes:
You are what you are and you are where you are because of what has gone into your mind. You change what you are and you change where you are by changing what goes into your mind.
* Zig Ziglar
Finally, I talk about the increasing importance of mobile for your website.
Next week I’m planning on continuing the niche site discussion, so be sure to stay tuned.
* Internet Marketing News – according to data, mobile devices have, for the first time in history, overtaken desktops as a place to get to the internet. This translates to you ensuring that your website is usable on mobile and that you provide an excellent mobile experience. It also failed to have a ‘mobile first’ strategy. Google will rate your site low if you do not have a responsive site for mobile users.
* The Late Night Niche Site Updates – We decided on our niche (Youth Baseball), we picked a domain name (com), now let’s figure out where our website is going to be housed. Here are things we need to consider:
* What to use to build your website:
* If you are building a site which is simple and needs to be up and running quickly, go with a company like Squarespace. It’s an affordable, no-fuss integrated builder.
* Another option is to build your website on WordPress using the blogging platform, Blogger. You are still using the actual WordPress software so you are subject to their guidelines and restrictions.
* For affiliate marketers, my recommendation is to use self-hosted WordPress. WordPress.com hosts WordPress for you but in the self-hosted version, WordPress.org provides a download of the WordPress software that you can put into your web hosting.
* Four Levels of Web Hosting Service
* Shared hosting – the least expensive but if you have bad neighbors, they can affect the performance of your website.
* Virtual Private Server (VPS) – shared hosting that uses sophisticated software that protects your resources.
* Dedicated Hosting – your site has its own space in the server farm.
* Cloud-based Hosting – multiple computers comprise your website. If one computer goes down, there are still other units which carry your load.
Here’s that Ray Edwards video about why he stopped watching the walking dead (embedded here for you viewing pleasure).
LInks Mentioned In This Episode
* Ray Edwards Walking Dead Video
* Ray Edwards Blog
* Zig Ziglar
* Article about mobile data trends
* The Divi Theme
from Elegant Themes
* Episode XXX on selecting a niche
* Episode 108 On How To Find A Domain Name