Late Night Internet Marketing with Mark Mason -- Affiliate Marketing Tips, Online Business Advice, Email Marketing and SEO
This week on the Late Night Internet Marketing Podcast, we focus on choosing a domain name for the Late Night Night Niche Site. How to choose a domain name is a question that I get a lot, so I am hoping that this live example will help people. Specifically, we discuss the things to think about and look out for when picking a name, and the tools you can use (domain name generators) to find a good domain name.
In the new segment, we keep track of the evolving Google Penguin 4.0 SEO story. It looks like things are finally settling down. The two major takeaways are that Penguin is now dynamic (it can be updated week to week or day to day) and backlink penalties seem to be a thing of the past.
Next week, I’m planning on tackling SEO for 2017 — what you need to know in light of the Penguin 4.0 updates and more. You’ll want to make sure you don’t miss that episode.
Are you making good progress this month? In case you missed it, last week I discussed how to get the most out of the end of the year
— even if you are off track on your goals.
Here are the highlights of the things I have shared in this episode:
* Internet Marketing News: The new Penguin 4.0 is out and about! This is a real time algorithm which means Google can update the software live and this version will do away with penalties associated with spammy links.
* Late Night Niche Site Update: We decided to pick Youth Baseball as our niche to work on as it met criteria that we set in our previous episodes and the next step is picking a domain name. So what are the things we should consider in picking one? I have come up with the ultimate checklist in choosing a domain name (you can download that list by clicking the yellow button below) but here are the highlights:
* The characteristics of a good domain name:
* People will look at the search results and check if your URL looks spammy, if it’s related to what they are searching for or if it sounds professional, so choose one that is solid and makes sense. A catchy domain name will also improve your click through rate.
* Your website’s URL should be something which can be remembered.
* Your domain name should not be something which needs explanation or which needs to be spelled thoroughly.
* Your URL should not violate trademark law. Do due diligence – you can hire an attorney to do trademark search, use tools such as LegalZoom or at the very least, Google it!
* Get a .com. It’s not a rule but SEO-wise, I recommend that it is best to stay with a .com
* Check your domain name for availability on social media.
* Unveiling our domain name for this project in our Late Night Niche Site: Youthbaseballzone.com (Wohooo!)
Links Mentioned In This Episode
* Lean Domain Search
* Name Mesh
* Name Boy
* My affiliate link to NameCheap
* Great article from Posirank On Penguin 4.0
* Penguin runs in “real time”
* Google’s Penguin 4.0
* Del Frisco’s Grille
The Ultimate Domain Name Checklist
Thinking about buying a domain? Before you do, be sure to download and use the Ultimate Domain Name Checklist.