Late Night Internet Marketing with Mark Mason -- Affiliate Marketing Tips, Online Business Advice, Email Marketing and SEO
In this episode, we talk about the new WordPress Attack, chat more about Niche Keyword Research, why it's important, and how to think about it. We also tackle a really tough listener question about money making potential in internet marketing. Is it worth the time? All this and more! You gotta love that.
This Week Around Late Night IM
There is a WordPress attack underway. You can read about it on the CERT site
. Concern is creation of a massive high-bandwidth botnet.
Here are some things you should do right away
* Update all themes, plugins and (of course) WordPress
* Make sure that you do not have a user named “admin”
* Install Limit Login Attempts
Big thing last week was the end of the Forever Affiliate
6 week coaching program. I can say without a doubt that this is the best affiliate marketing course that I have ever been involved in. It was just awesome. As a result of the course, I have a 20 site plan for 2013 with the goal of having 10 brand new profitable sites by the end of the year.
I'm slower than some of the other people in the course because in addition to my day job, I have this crazy blog and podcast to maintain. My plan is still to report all the results to you as they happen. I have this awesome master control spreadsheet complete with tasks and target dates. I need to update that for “reporting” so that I can easily and accurately tell you what is going on….but the basic snapshot is like this. I have the process broken out into five major steps:
* Niche selection — including finding an offer, finding keywords and profit testing
* Site Build — this includes getting the domain up and running with WP
* Post Content — includes ordering content and images and posting them
* Monetize site — includes link tracking, offer placement, etc
* Initial promotion — includes cheap promotion before sale for about a month
* Paid testing — includes paid testing through PPC
* Asset promotion — if the site makes sales, big promotion
* Ongoing promotion — rankings achieved, ongoing promotion
* 14 niches identified
* 4 sites built
* 3 sites have content posted
* 1 site in initial promotion
Also working on a cool experiment with another 10 sites based on this report from John Leger and Josh Spaulding
. The report shows how to make automatic sites in just 4 easy steps using Article Builder
and Keyword Canine
We have had more sniffles, fevers and other junk running around my house. I am starting to wonder if we are cursed. It's really hard to work on your internet business when you don't feel great, or when you are taking care of a sick little one. It's one of the things that gets in the way.
Listener Feedback On From Facebook
Mark -I have for some time now been going down the road of affiliate/internet marketing, but the thought that is continually nagging in the back of my mind is that is this really worth the effort? I don't mind at all working hard for something, and putting in the time, as I realize its not going to occur over night, but I don't want to do it if its all for nothing and there is no payoff.
I guess I think about it this way – there are certain activities that a person can do that have higher values in an economy than other things. For example a doctor usually demands a higher salary than a clerk in a department store.