Jo - Yass, NSW / Ngunnawal Country
October 17, 2023
Australian Homeschool Stories
If you are curious to know what a Charlotte Mason education can look like for a modern Australian family than this is the episode for you. With three children (aged 17, 15 and 11) whom she has homeschooled from the get go, one of whom is now attending university, Jo has a plethora of wisdom to share.
- The only time her kids attended school was to be one of their friends 'show & tell'
- Growing up living on the same street in Sydney as all of her extended family who were all involved in education, made for a childhood where learning and living were synonymous
- Jo sees homeschooling as a choice to value education and to share what it can be to have that learning more naturally through life
- The Charlotte Mason philosophy is best described as a generous feast. A broad, balanced approach to making sure that no matter what the skills, talents or interests of the child, they all have the capacity to learn
- How Jo settled on Charlotte Mason home education for her family and how they have adopted this philosophy to a modern Australian perspective
- The pillars of a CM education - living books, narration, nature study, art, music and handcrafts
- How her homeschool has evolved from the early years of play to raising teenagers, what’s changed and what’s stayed consistent
- Her eldest's pathway to university and Jo's insightful advice to all parents when considering higher education for their kids, whether homeschooled or not
- Jo's involvement in My Homeschool - Resources that parents can feel confident using to offer a Charlotte Mason homeschooling approach that still meets Australian curriculum standards
- Hoping to be great friends with her adult children and approaching this in terms of developing a life and an education that they share together
- Seek out the beauty - it’s not just about ticking the boxes
- “I hope they can see a broader version of who they are and who they can be”
Commonplace Quarterly magazine - The ABC's of a Charlotte Mason Education
Modern Miss Mason - Leah Boden
When Children Love to Learn - Elaine Cooper
In Memoriam: A Tribute to Charlotte Mason - Brandy Vencel
Consider asking your local library to order in a copy of these books if they don't currently have them in their collection
Homeschooling Consultative Group through NESA
Have you got a story to tell?
Connect with us on instagram @australianhomeschoolstories or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up to our substack to be notified of new episode releases:
Australian Homeschool Stories Mailing List
This podcast is recorded on the lands of the Bunurong people of the Kulin nation. I pay my respects to elders past, present and emerging and acknowledge that sovereignty was never ceded. This always was, always will be aboriginal land.
Original Music by Daniel Garrood @garroodcomposer
Listen on Spotify here