On the cusp of becoming a mother to three kids under 3, Adele certainly has her hands full in this season of life but her conviction to home educate her children is unwavering. In this, the final episode of season two, she share her naturally evolving journey from teaching as a career to staying at home to teach her own.
- The story of how Adele and her family ended up moving to Tasmania at the tail end of COVID lockdowns
- Her reflections on her own catholic schooling where she thrived academically but struggled socially, underpinned by the stability of her home life which she credits to her mothers presence as a stay at home parent
- Teaching these days is not just teaching - there’s so much that is thrown onto teachers which is not part of what they are trained to do, which is to teach the curriculum, and how this is contributing to burn out in the profession
- As parents we put a lot of faith into someone we don’t actually know very well to educate our kids but the important things we hold near and dear should be coming from us
- Being a blended family with older step children who live interstate plays a big part in their choice to home educate in that they don't have to worry about conflicting school holiday schedules interfering with sibling relationships
- The roles she and her husband have opted for and how their dynamic works to everyones benefit in their family
- Why do we have to wait until they are 5 or 6? The importance of connecting and forming communities with other families of pre-homeschool aged kids
- Having two bright girls with a penchant to learn from a very young age informs her choice to homeschool having experienced first hand that kids who excel in school often get forgotten about
- “We want to be the ones that are guiding them and setting them up for life and for adulthood and we just feel like this is the best way to have the biggest impact on what kind of people they go out into the world as”
- If you want it badly enough you will find a way to make it work
Hold onto your kids - Dr Gordon Neufeld & Gabor Maté
Dumbing us Down - John Taylor Gatto
Consider asking your local library to order in a copy of these books if they don't already have them in their catalogue
Emma @play_at_home_mummy Instagram
Jules @storiesofplay Instagram
Life Without School Podcast by Stark Raving Dad
Have you got a story to tell?
Connect with us on instagram @australianhomeschoolstories or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up to our substack to be notified of new episode releases:
Australian Homeschool Stories Mailing List
This podcast is recorded on the lands of the Bunurong people of the Kulin nation. I pay my respects to elders past, present and emerging and acknowledge that sovereignty was never ceded. This always was, always will be aboriginal land.
Original Music by Daniel Garrood @garroodcomposer
Listen on Spotify here