Speaker 1: What is up everybody? Hey, my name is Ryan and welcome to our Reflections podcast, and today we got a special treat for you we're going off the grid, off the map. Mike Lauer is joining us in the house today. What's up, mike?
Speaker 2: Not much.
Speaker 1: If you don't know Mike, he is our director of music here at Central. He's also my podcasting producer in our huge operation down here in the basement and he thought this idea would be kind of fun. He's like I'm going to pepper you with like as many theological questions or practical questions about church or whatever faith that he can think of, and I have what. Is it 30 seconds to answer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll do 30 seconds.
Speaker 1: And when I'm at 30 seconds and if you know me and many of you maybe do or have gotten to I'm kind of long-winded, especially around theology. I just like to explain it. But he's going to buzz me. Here's the buzzer to know that I'm out of time. All right, there it is, and no exceptions. So we're going to get through as many as we can and we're going to see how it goes. It's an experiment. If you like it, let us know. If you think it's terrible, let us know. All right, shoot One.
Speaker 2: All right, question one. I think I know the answer to this one. Okay, denver Broncos, denver Broncos. Question number one who is your favorite biblical figure?
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: I really Just kidding. Okay, 30 seconds, starting now.
Speaker 1: I really like Moses. You know, moses was a flawed as I read him, a flawed character, but he loved God. He was kind of a maniacal. He had anger issues, I think. I mean when he strikes the rock when he's supposed to speak to it, he gets frustrated at the people and I can understand that. But he also, I think I mean when he strikes the rock when he's supposed to speak to it, he gets frustrated at the people and I can understand that. But he also, I think, loved them and he met with God. As a man speaks with his friend, it says I love that. It's a beautiful, beautiful story. Oh, great. Oh, you hit the buzzer. Go ahead, all right, let's go?
Speaker 2: Number two, number two. What's something people misunderstand about capital? G Grace, 30 seconds starts now.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know even about capital G grace, but I'll say this. I think people oftentimes say things to me like I don't want to take advantage of God's love, and I just think, no, no, take advantage of God's love. That's what he's giving it to you for and by no means is it a license to sin. That's missing the point. Take advantage of it. It's free, it's a gift from God. God is doing everything God can to rescue you, save you and liberate you. Take advantage of that. Please take advantage of it. That's quick Under time. Let's go.
Speaker 2: What is a random tidbit from the Bible that you think most people don't know?
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: A random tidbit, 30 seconds starts now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a random tidbit, you know this came up in conversation a couple weeks ago with this group of people. I do a Bible study with that Mark. So the Gospels, the four Gospels, the stories of Jesus, are Matthew, mark, luke and John. Mark was not a disciple of Jesus so it's kind of crazy that his book got in there. So Mark wasn't one of the original 12. People think that he was probably a close friend of Peter's and even of Paul's and that he had connections in that way, but he was not a direct follower. But his book actually was used by Matthew and Luke scholars believe as like their template for their gospels. So Mark was like one of the original gospels, it was one of the first. It was the first gospel written. So, yeah, mark wasn't a disciple, though.
Speaker 2: Good answer, all right. Next question, question number four. Question number four this came up because I like to reread books.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you reread a book and you're like wait a second. I don't reread books, what, except for the Bible, yeah, so what was the last thing you read in the Bible that you were like wait a second? What? That happened yeah 30 seconds starts now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the first thing that comes to my mind is in John 6. I just talked about this a couple weeks ago, but Jesus is hanging out with a bunch of people and he tells them. He says very truly I tell you, unless you eat of my flesh and drink of my blood, then you have no life in you. But whoever drinks of my blood and eats of my flesh will have eternal life. And they're, like they're, super offended because this, in a Jewish culture you would never talk like that. I mean, eating a body would be anathema, be really a faux pas. It's scandalous to say that and even the All right, I'm out.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: All right. Question number five.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is your theological specialty?
Speaker 1: Okay, I love talking about the Gospels, like just reading through the Gospels and just talking about the fascinating layers, connections, meanings behind a lot of these stories. I'm doing it with this young group of guys they're college-age boys, like three or four of them, and they come every week and we do it and it is endlessly fascinating to read through the Gospels and just talk about all the metaphor, allusions and stories. I think Jesus and his friends were just extremely fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, the Gospels, that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that and the creation story, I think is interesting also.
Speaker 2: All right. On the other side of the coin, what is your theological blind spot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not a Pauline scholar. I have a grasp on Paul but I also because I love stories and images and that side of narrative. I mean I love narrative. My hermeneutic is the fancy word how I read the Bible. I read the whole Bible as a story and some of Paul's letters. They're really interesting, but I get bored I shouldn't say bored, that's not very fair to Paul. I just love stories and paul's writing letters and fair enough, but I, that's probably my. My weak spot, I think, is the epistles sure all right.
Speaker 2: Question number seven if you had to preach on one book for a whole year, yeah, what book would that be?
Speaker 1: well, we've done it. But uh, john, I think john is john or genesis, they're my two favorites. Well, you gotta pick one, okay, ah, john.
Speaker 2: There's no book called John or Genesis. That's true.
Speaker 1: That's true, john. All right, I love John.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah. If you had to sum up the Gospels in one sentence, what would you say?
Speaker 1: The Gospels themselves, or the Gospel like the good news of Jesus.
Speaker 2: Because I got an answer for that one.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say Like, am I synthesizing the four books? Yeah, I'm going to say the one that you don't already have an answer for, to put you on the spot. Well, I mean Jesus. Yeah, it's the story of the life, death and then resurrection of Jesus and how it changes the world, Literally changes the course of human history, and nobody saw it coming. Even while it was happening, no one saw it coming. That's it, man. That's it. You want the other answer?
Speaker 2: Sure might as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to say an offensive word, I hope. If it offends you, I'm sorry, but I read this in a book called the Brother to a Dragonfly, which you should get. It's an incredible book about two brothers and I forget the author off the top of my head, but he summarizes it like this and I love it. Here's the gospel you and I. You're a bastard and God loves you anyway, there you go. That's great. So, good man, that's so good.
Speaker 2: All right. Question number nine what theological question. Idea, paradox, whatever is the one that keeps you up at night.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wish I had more detailed answers about what happens after we die. Now, look, I know you're going to say, oh, there's plenty of scriptures and there are, but a lot of them are not really clear. A lot of them, like in the early Jewish text too, are not. It develops, it begins to morph over time, and especially in Paul. Paul has more, I think, sort of Greek influence, and some people contend that Paul was a Platonist and I think there's some of that in his writings. But what exactly happens? I think my view is you go to be with God. I love Ecclesiastes. The breath, the spirit goes with God and the body goes back in the dirt. But what happens? What does it look like? Yeah, the other images are metaphors. Okay, I'm out, I'm done, all right.
Speaker 2: Question 10. What do you think the church will look like in 25 years, which is probably roughly when you will be retiring and passing the torch on to?
Speaker 1: another, this church or the church Western church.
Speaker 2: You could answer it either way, but just like how are people going to engage with the church in 25 years?
Speaker 1: I'll be quite honest, I don't know if it'll be that much different.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, 25 years is not a long time. But I think you'll see his pockets of alternative styles and engagement and things that pop up that reflect their context or that maybe embody more practice. But I think that this, what we have now, in many ways is a behemoth and I don't know that it's going to go away anytime soon. It might take a long time to morph it and change it, but 25 years is not much time, dude, sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Right, one bonus question. Okay, let's go for our listeners out there. You may not know this little fun fact, but ryan and I are actually both from colorado. Yes, and we both grew up rooting for the rockies. Yes, uh, and as of right now, the the coloradoies are, as of this recording, 4-25.
Speaker 1: That's four wins, 25 losses.
Speaker 2: They're on pace for a record low 22-win season. My question is how many games do you think the Rockies will win this year?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go 35. I think they'll exceed the pace they're at now by 10 games. So they'll be 35 and 127? Yes, whatever that, I think they'll exceed the pace they're at now by 10 games or whatever They'll exceed the pace.
Speaker 2: They'll be 35 and 127. Yes, whatever that you do the math, yeah, I think that's the math.
Speaker 1: They're bad. They're bad Time for the Munfords to sell.
Speaker 2: Let's buy them. Let's buy them, all right, any final thoughts?
Speaker 1: No, hey, I appreciate you guys Love us't know? Go to our website, find my email and email me. I'd love to hear what you think. Peace.
Speaker 2: Peace.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you enjoy this show, I'd love to have you share it with some friends. And don't forget, you are always welcome to join us in person at Central in Elk River at 830, which is our liturgical gathering, or at 10 o'clock, our modern gathering, or you can check us out online at clcelkriverorg Peace.