SPEAKER_02: Okay, I have this question that I think is insightful uh and that y'all can it'll be a good thought experiment, I guess. Who do you think, and the answer is Jesus? Spoiler, besides Jesus, so who's second place? Who do you think in all of history has saved the most lives?
SPEAKER_03: Winston Churchill.
SPEAKER_02: Saved the most lives. So at first I thought how can we define saving a life? Like there's different categories, there's different ways to save a life. I have one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine different ways that we can save a life.
SPEAKER_04: Okay, so is this brought to us by the fray? How to save a life, the song? Yeah, it should be in the background right now. Yeah, I don't know what the We're gonna have to pay copyright on it now, Crumb.
SPEAKER_02: They're not gonna read it.
SPEAKER_06: It was less than three seconds. It's good.
SPEAKER_02: Okay. So we can sing the whole song in less than three second increments. We'll be okay.
SPEAKER_04: So like Jonas Salk, Louis Pasteur, I mean, I'm thinking of like medical advancements here.
SPEAKER_02: Okay. So I have I have two kind of like people in mind, but then nine different professions, if you will, or different ways that you can save a life. So one of them is warning someone of danger that's ahead. Right? When you see a street sign with that there's rock slides or that there's a cliff upcoming, there's a warning for danger ahead. Proceed with caution. Okay, so a a way that you can save a life.
SPEAKER_03: So so who gets credit for that? The guy who actually put up the sign? If there's a guy who put up a sign like, because technically you could say like the guy who goes around and puts up stop signs all around town. Because just think of how many lives are saved because there's a stop sign there.
SPEAKER_02: Okay, so the government saves lives.
SPEAKER_04: Okay, but yes. But have you also heard that for every safety feature put onto cars, people drive riskier? Yeah. And so there was a thought experiment. Well, there's two. There's one that they put like a knife blade on the steering wheel an inch away from the chest of the driver.
SPEAKER_06: Oh my god. It's a thought experiment.
SPEAKER_04: You don't so like you would drive incredibly cautious. The other one is that uh this uh I'm not it's a thought experiment. You put infants on the bumpers of cars.
SPEAKER_02: I was gonna ask how to drive home from the hospital.
SPEAKER_04: Yeah. But when you have an airbag, you drive riskier. When you have anti-lock brakes, you drive riskier. Like these are things that they've proven with like data. Right. And so sometimes the safety feature actually makes you less safe.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah. And I think it's Ohio when the Model T came out. There were two Model T's in the state of Ohio, and they got in a wreck with each other. And there's no safety features on the other side.
SPEAKER_06: Were there any guidelines? Like road rule.
SPEAKER_04: They were both dodging horses. Yeah, probably so. So but in the Philippines, there's basically no laws for traffic. Yeah. More or less. Make sure somebody knows. And traffic just kind of flows. Do you just kind of wave and pull out in front of somebody and like they don't get mad or cram on their brakes or their horn, they just kind of wave and smile back. It's like, well, I guess it's your turn.
SPEAKER_03: So what's their You are in a different part of the Philippines than I was because I couldn't go anywhere without hearing a horn getting honked.
SPEAKER_06: Well, that's not uh an aggressive thing. No, it wasn't necessarily aggressive. Yeah, there's a lot of honking you turn corners. But like they don't lay on their horn. It's like beep beep, hi. Yeah. Uh same in in Chile as well.
SPEAKER_03: In in the Philippines was the one places years ago, years before we knew what texting was, they had a road the size of a freeway, and they had a sign that says do not text while crossing the road. Because that's everybody was texting while crossing a road. So yeah. So maybe they when they saw that sign, they're like, I'm gonna run dangerously across the road.
SPEAKER_02: So that's one way, setting up signs. Okay. And uh a second way, it's kind of like the first, is you warn someone far enough in advance about something that they can prepare for. So the first one is something to avoid. Avoid the cliff, avoid walking across the fairway.
SPEAKER_04: So the tsunami warning system. The butterfly.
SPEAKER_02: Something that you That's what I want to go to. I was gonna say the British are coming, or there's a famine in a few years, think of a biblical reference. Like something that's inevitable, but you give someone ample time to prepare, you can save their life. Yeah. In that way.
SPEAKER_03: Or or you might inadvertently take it. Because you warn them about something. Don't don't be late for school, honey. And they're like, oh, I better hurry and get out of here because they left three seconds earlier, they were in the intersection. Texting case. Yes. Well, I'm not texting, but yeah. Okay, so I'm getting this off track. So how else can we say all of these you could make a case? Wait, hold on.
SPEAKER_04: Did you say that there's nine of these? Uh I thought of nine. There's a million. Yeah, we yeah, okay.
SPEAKER_02: Okay. But these are just categories.
SPEAKER_04: Yeah, so you can't come in and make a joke about all nine. We gotta get through these scrum.
SPEAKER_02: These two are similar. You engineer something proactive. So seabelts. There you go. I was thinking like you prevent a flood with a dam. Right. Something like that. So you engineer something proactive, or you can engineer something reactive. Thinking of a vaccine for illness. Yeah. Something that already exists in the world. You make something to take it out, to counteract it. A reactive something that you make. You uh look good. You can save a life. Esther did with all the Jews.
SPEAKER_05: That's why she was.
SPEAKER_03: I was like, yeah, I don't know that I've saved any lives that way. Not for everyone. I'm pretty sure I've destroyed one.
SPEAKER_06: Have you been in a pageant though for for a royal wedding? Not yet. More like where there's hope. Yeah. There's hope.
SPEAKER_02: So you're saying there's a chance.
SPEAKER_06: You're telling me there's a chance.
SPEAKER_02: Self-sacrifice is another one. That's probably the first one that we think of. I'm thinking of Bruce Willis and Armageddon. Yeah. Right. Or Jesus. Self-sacrifice. Take take the bullet for someone else, jump in front of someone. You negotiate peace. So you stop a war from even happening. You stop a disaster. I remember a video from a few years back. There's one of these like janky parking lot carnival rides that's unstable in the wind. And a lot of people run over there and stabilize it, and they probably saved a lot of people. I don't know if they each get credit for saving it though. Probably just the first guy that went over there and put his hands. But you can stop a disaster or winning a war, like the Manhattan Project. Although they can take some, but it could also save a lot too. But there's a lot of ways. Those were the nine categories that that I had thus far.
SPEAKER_04: Okay. So n d do you have some data or historical examples that are gonna blow our minds, like how many lives did Jonasauk save or anything like that?
SPEAKER_02: So I I tried to go a different direction and say this is a person that I think perhaps doesn't get enough credit for saving a life for it. Uh but the first one and of all the pigeons, can you all name many pigeons? Cherry is the only one I know. So to me, they're the most famous.
SPEAKER_06: Yeah. I don't know. I know pigeon stories, but I don't know names.
SPEAKER_03: I remember the ones from Mary Poppins. Okay.
SPEAKER_02: I don't know any of their names, though. This is the only one.
SPEAKER_03: I mean, we're not on a first name basis, but go ahead.
SPEAKER_02: So this pigeon, Cherry, is accredited with saving hundreds of American soldiers' lives during the first World War, so the Great War at the time. Um American soldiers um of the Lost Battalion became surrounded by the German forces in the Argonne Forest in 1918, setting the stage for it. Uh and they were these American soldiers were being accidentally shelled by their own comrades, their own artillery. So they sent messages out and these carrier pigeons were not making it very far. But the last one that they sent out, the last one they had, was Jeremy. And she carried this desperate message. We are along the road parallel to 276.4. Our own artillery is dropping a barrage deck directly on us. For heaven's sake, stop it. That's what the message read as. Um as they were flying away. And so Cherry got hit, wounded in the breast, blinded in one eye, and had one leg hanging by a tendon, and still managed to fly roughly twenty-five miles, they say in twenty-five minutes, delivering this message. So that's sixty miles an hour.
SPEAKER_03: Wow.
SPEAKER_06: Goodness.
SPEAKER_02: No. Yeah, twenty-five miles and twenty-five minutes. Yeah, sixty miles an hour. I don't know how fast pigeons can fly. But that's the lore of this of this story. Um so the message got delivered, the artillery stopped, and 194. So basically 200 American soldiers were reportedly saved on that day.
SPEAKER_00: By a pigeon. Yep.
SPEAKER_02: And the army accredited well, they thought it was a her for a long time, but in 2021 they did a DNA test. It was a him. So they accredited him, Jeremy, with uh award for that. And now he's in the Smithsonian.
SPEAKER_06: The average is 50 to 60 miles per hour. Uh top speeds of 90 to 110.
SPEAKER_04: Oh, whoa. A pigeon?
unknown: Mm-hmm.
SPEAKER_06: According to several references.
SPEAKER_04: Okay, I'm gonna blame the food supply because all the pigeons that you see now have been eating carbs in the park from the people that throw them bread. Those were the OG pigeons that had a healthier diet matters.
SPEAKER_06: Yeah, for sure.
SPEAKER_04: They had a healthier diet. They were keto pigeons. Keto pigeons. Yeah, that's why they were healthier.
SPEAKER_06: I don't think they were city pigeons.
SPEAKER_04: Yeah, exactly. These were wartime pigeons. They were trained.
SPEAKER_06: I'm sure they were raised and trained to deliver messages. Yeah. They were. They were pounding creatine, they were doing push-ups. Yeah, they had training sessions every morning, every night.
SPEAKER_02: I looked into that a little bit. Two days and they're they use their direction more based on sound than they do on site or any other resource that they have. So more so like a bat. But they can hear lower frequencies, is what it was attributed to, at least. That's very cool. And then my real answer, well, go ahead.
SPEAKER_03: No, well, I just had a weird question that had nothing to do with anything. But like, can you could you teach a pigeon like, hey, don't fly so low, you're gonna get shot. Like go up, you know, several hundred feet before you start. Yeah, I don't think that's possible. Because he's not listening. I doubt it.
SPEAKER_06: Yeah. They're self-trained to follow what they what they need to.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah. Okay, this is my real answer for who I think could have saved, besides Jesus, the most lives in all of human history. What was his name? Sir Joseph, I don't know, Basil Heady, something like that. He is accredited. Oh I so I was thinking something in medication that way. I think this guy might have.
SPEAKER_03: Okay, okay, okay, this better be good because the five's about to be on.
SPEAKER_02: He is accredited with developing the modern sewage system.
SPEAKER_06: Yes.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah.
SPEAKER_02: I think that hygiene, 'cause before him, and of course there was other like sewage systems all the way back to the Roman Empire, right? But a city could only expand and grow to the amount that the river could support. How fast the river could wash away any of the waste. You don't want it piling up, that would also cause disease too. And so I think he might have a case for group of men that have saved the most lives.
SPEAKER_03: So he didn't actually like invent the toilet. No. That was somebody else. Thomas Crapper. Yeah. John Crapper. Yeah. I thought it was John.
SPEAKER_06: I think it's Jonathan Jonathan, Thomas. I think there are brothers.
SPEAKER_03: And I do know that there was some debate as to who actually like like he might have stolen. That's right. Oh really? I think that's right.
SPEAKER_04: Yeah, because there was like a plumbing store involved, and anyway.
SPEAKER_02: But even I don't know which one came first, if the toilet did or if the sewage system did. But if you have a toilet, like you still need a sewage system. Yeah. You need it to get away from you.
SPEAKER_03: Yes. I mean it's why we have problems in third world countries, is because they have not figured out that you can't do that. And it's led to, you know, millions and millions of people dying. So yeah.
SPEAKER_02: I did think some medical resource would be pretty high up there. Yeah. But it's impossible to truly grasp like to have a number on how many lives that has saved.
SPEAKER_04: Yeah, and I would think plumbing coming in that's clean would also have saved thousands, millions of lives. Yeah. But so like I mean both sides of the plumbing, the input and the output both are essential for health.
SPEAKER_03: This sounds terrible, but like they didn't really save any lives. They just prolonged them. I mean if you think about it. Right. Because eventually ever all of those people still died. So I'm still going for Jesus as undisputed number one because everybody else that like like you you could have, you know, saved their life from you know um drinking unhealthy water, and then two days later they could have, you know, a tree could have fallen on them. And so you've just you prolonged their life.
SPEAKER_02: So could your life be saved multiple times in one life? Yeah.
SPEAKER_03: Yeah. Yeah, that's a good point. So like Lazarus still died. Yeah.
SPEAKER_04: The twice the little girl that was that was raised. I mean, I mean, you just Yeah.
SPEAKER_03: Yeah, lots of lots of people died. So anyway.
SPEAKER_02: I remember you telling me something about that um in a time that I really needed it, the difference between healing and a cure. Yeah. Right? Did I get the right words through it?
SPEAKER_04: Yeah. I mean, it wasn't my idea though. It was from a book.
SPEAKER_02: I think it's from here.
SPEAKER_03: It was from one of Doug's Doug's favorite books. Remind me. Was it one of the books that like you told the the author to add to the went to Ryan?
SPEAKER_04: No, uh Theography. Uh G it's it's just called Jesus. It's the it's the Leonard Sweet, I forgot the code author. Yes. Biolin Sweet, is that who it is? Yeah. They got a section in there about that.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah.
SPEAKER_04: Do you want me to tell that right now? Okay. So um so a medical cure is when the leprosy leaves the body and it goes back to regular health. Um, that's not a guarantee. But in Christ, a healing is guaranteed. And sometimes you're healed um because you medically die and you go to your reward, but you're healed. You don't have leprosy, it doesn't, it doesn't follow you into the next life. And so um just kind of distinguishing and just kind of knowing that healing is always guaranteed in Christ. That like that like you're going to be healed. Um, a medical cure, a lot of times, is what we're praying for. And that's not a guarantee. Just kind of distinguishing between those two things helps a lot of people.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah. That's good. That's what I had to share.
SPEAKER_04: Oh, I thought you were gonna go through all nine. I'm like, man, what did we go watch? I thought you meant like an example for each one of them. I thought there were eight more animals. I thought it was gonna be like Noah's Ark, and we were gonna have who is it is it Balto, like the book that or the the movie that came out like a few years ago, like the like the sled dog that had the medicine.
SPEAKER_06: I don't know. Um Balto, but I don't know.
SPEAKER_04: Yeah, so like yeah, the the like went to go get the medicine, the sled dog. Yeah. I feel like I'm sure they're compounding this. I had kids at the right age that time. Yeah. Balko, maybe?
SPEAKER_03: Balco.
SPEAKER_06: Balco, B L C O.
SPEAKER_03: Anyway, it was the the the drug company that got in trouble that had to do with Balco also.
SPEAKER_04: Uh so anyway, no, I thought I thought we were gonna get a parade of animals that save people's lives. I'm like, man, this is gonna go on for a while, child. I'm sure there are plenty of examples. I'm sitting here thinking lunch is coming up.
SPEAKER_02: That would be I'm gonna stake it in that those are the nine waves that you can save a life. Okay.
SPEAKER_04: And and and there's probably a story of an animal doing the other eight.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah. I recently watched um Arthur the King. Have y'all seen that one? I think it's a Mark Wahlberg movie came out.
SPEAKER_06: Yes.
SPEAKER_02: Maybe within the last two years or so. And and the dog recognizes a natural danger. I think it was a cliff or canyon or something, and he stops the crew from running off the edge.
SPEAKER_06: Yeah, they got lost, right? The the running crew.
SPEAKER_03: Balto.
SPEAKER_06: Yeah.
SPEAKER_03: Okay, so there was what was the I'm I don't know why I'm looking at you because you have no idea. Although you might remember this is a weird reference, but there was a show we watched like when I was in elementary school, there were several movies. Bingey.
SPEAKER_05: Yes.
SPEAKER_03: It was Benji. Benji, he saved lives. Last year. See, look at that.
SPEAKER_02: B E N J I, he's uh like he's kind of a reddish-brown dog.
SPEAKER_03: I don't he was a furry dog and yeah, he was not a short haired dog.
SPEAKER_02: I don't remember any of the plot though, but I do know the DVD cover. He was a hero.
SPEAKER_03: Unso. Yeah.
SPEAKER_02: Marmaduke was my it was the dog I knew. That's Scooby-Doo, I guess.
SPEAKER_03: Big dog. Underdog. Do you know how many lives were saved because of those meddling teens? Isn't that what he always said at the end of the Scooby-Doo? They save lives, they solve crimes. Well, there could have been a life that was saved.
SPEAKER_06: Future, yeah. Future lives.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah. Is that closing line? And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you. I thought it was you meddling. Meddling kids. I think that's right. And your dog.
SPEAKER_05: It's in your dog.
SPEAKER_03: Yeah. That's actually that topic was was good. I'll I'll give it to Claps, but if I do, then it throws off everything.
SPEAKER_06: So we're going to start everything. To start the next podcast.
SPEAKER_02: So we used to have, we weren't very creative with the games that we played growing up. We played Scooby-Doo a lot, which meant putting on our socks and running like Scooby-Doo characters and around the corner. And you just you just run in place for a little while before you actually start going for it. And then someone was behind you, and when they moved their arms, they would miss and basically give themselves a hook, like all the Scooby-Doo villains did. And then you run into doors and you come out the other ones.
SPEAKER_06: That's awesome.
SPEAKER_02: We slammed a lot of doors growing up, probably. But that was one. We played church a lot. We baptized each other thousands of times.
SPEAKER_01: Sometimes longer than they wanted to be baptized. Yeah. Sometimes. It's like you want to go see Jesus? Today's your day. Today is your day.
SPEAKER_04: I've got a friend that would do that to their kittens, and they would baptize their cats. And there was a wild one they couldn't catch, and so they got a water hose out and they sprayed it. And they said, That one's a Methodist. He's only sprinkled. We can ride out on that story. We could. I wanted to not praying.
SPEAKER_03: I wanted to just lay out. I wanted no one to say anything for like 30 seconds and just sit in the awkwardness of a bit of time. It's a funny story.
SPEAKER_06: It is fun. There were kids. I played grocery store where we'd put a box on a rolling uh kitchen chair and go shopping through the kitchen.
SPEAKER_02: So going back to the cat. Do you have to do you have to baptize it nine times, one for each of its lives? If it was just sprinkled once but baptized eight, how does that work out in eternal life? I don't know. Find out when we get there. Add it to the list of questions. Did y'all ever have that going up? Did y'all have a list of questions that you couldn't wait to ask God one day? I wish I would have written them down. Written them down. Yeah. I do know I want to I want to know what he wrote in the sand with the adulterous woman and John A. Like stuff like that. But there's a lot of other stuff that I probably don't care about what the answer is now, but at one time I really cared about what the answer was.
SPEAKER_04: I remember being scared, kind of nervous that um so I didn't go to church a whole lot as a kid with my grandparents primarily, and um didn't like the singing. Uh liked the preaching even as a little boy, but I remember being scared that like heaven was just gonna be singing. Singing. And I was like, oh man, that is I'm not excited about that. And so anyway, I had a lot of questions back then. It's like, you know, can I can I go play basketball with my friends and then and then and then come sing for a little bit?
SPEAKER_03: Like we have to sing all four verses or can we skip the third verse? 'Cause that's what we did back in on earth.
SPEAKER_04: There was lots of first, second, and fourth verse. Yeah.
SPEAKER_06: Absolutely.
SPEAKER_02: Those are the ones with the dots beside it. Right. Yeah.
SPEAKER_04: I will say this as far as questions and um heaven goes, there's a Randy Alcorn book that is just QA about heaven. And it's it's fascinating. Yeah. It's super thick too. So but like you don't have to read it straight through. There's a list of the questions. So if you have a question like, Will my pet be there? I think is a pretty popular word that people ask, you can go find it.
SPEAKER_02: Neat. I I heard a lesson and he has a book as well from Andy Davis, maybe. I I might be butchering the um author here, but he's he's talking about kind of heaven, uh what what that could be like, and he's explaining that his take on it is we're gonna see the glory of God in its fullest. And since we don't know everything now, we're gonna get up there and we're going to um learn. It's gonna be like an education on the entire history of the glory of God. And we could just look at one example of our lives or just our lives in entirety, and we can notice the way that God has worked things out um in our lives, brought us to certain places, made us meet certain people, um, made us leave the house three minutes later or earlier, and and God worked through that. But there's an infinite number of ways that we have not recognized at work. And so we might be enlightened to that. Um and imagine just your life, there's an infinite number of ways, but in all of human history, in everyone's life, that we're gonna get the opportunity to have the knowledge and dwell in in that. So he says it's a pattern of learning, so it's an education that we're gonna get. Yeah. I mean it's kinda interesting. But if you tell a teenager you're gonna sing and you're gonna learn and heaven, that might not be enticing. Yeah.
SPEAKER_04: Nice to draw. I I know that we went to that conference together when Richard Beck spoke. And he asked, you know, how many people in here know your Enneagram? And almost every hand goes up. And it's like, he's like, you know, that's a sign that we're very interested in like knowing ourselves and looking at ourselves and finding out and learning about us. And he's like, and yet there's this whole infinite God that we're invited to come to know that we'll never come to the end of knowing, and just finding enchantment in that. Um, and that's kind of helped me a lot. And just kind of thinking about, like, yeah, Lance, you're not that big a deal. Like, you can spend this time thinking about that mistake you made five years ago, or what's going to happen in six weeks to you, or you can spend time thinking about this infinite God, like what's more um interesting and beneficial to sit around and think about.
SPEAKER_05: Yeah.
SPEAKER_02: And I think you've encouraged us at the end. And if you want to know more about yourself, know more about God. Yeah. And it will enlighten you to more things about yourself than any Buzzfeed, what kind of bread am I quiz could ever reveal to you.
SPEAKER_04: What character on Scooby-Doo do I run most like?
SPEAKER_02: Five questions. Or any, you know, lion, otter, squirrel personality quiz could ever teach you. Learning the creator gives enlightenment to the creation. Yeah.
SPEAKER_03: I just I have just a great amount of comfort in a verse that I know seems so cliche, but like God knows us, He loves us, and He says, you know, I've I've got something that is better than you can imagine. You can more than you can ask or imagine. And I'm like, okay, so like it is, I'm just gonna trust that um that like he's not gonna like, we're not gonna get up there and he's gonna be like, okay, everybody, we're gonna sit in pews for the next you know, four million years and sing songs because like this is you know, this is what you imagined it would be. Like, I don't know what it's gonna be, but it's like literally gonna be better. I can't even imagine. I just get excited, yeah, thinking about it. It's like, oh, I don't like I don't know what it's gonna be like, but he does and he knows that it is gonna be awesome. So, and he's there, so I trust him.
SPEAKER_02: I'm I'm trying to get the details right, but I can end us with this heaven joke. There's always risky ground to start with. But I don't think it's much of a heaven joke, but this guy gets the opportunity, something happens in his life, he's on the beach, God's up in the clouds, and he has some questions for him. And he says, God, how long is like a a million years on earth? How long is that in heaven? And God says, A million years on earth is like just a second in heaven. Time works different up here. He goes, Dang, wow, a million years. It's it's just only a second. And then he says, Okay, okay, God, another question. How much is uh a million dollars on earth? How much how much is that worth in heaven? God's like, well, a million dollars is on earth is like one cent. It's like a penny in heaven. And he got all right, yeah. Hey God, can I have a penny? And God's like, yeah, one sec.
SPEAKER_05: Yeah, hold on, one second.
SPEAKER_02: I'll be right back.
SPEAKER_04: And so now Doug has to pray a sign because Giles and I have discredited ourselves.
SPEAKER_01: Okay.
SPEAKER_00: Okay, I'm sorry, I've got I'm so tickled, I can't I can't stop. Okay.
SPEAKER_03: Okay, let's pray. God, thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to just laugh and to love. And Lord, I I pray that we will um do more of the latter at every opportunity, not just with with our friends, but but people we we don't know that well and people we don't even like. God, just give us an opportunity to to love those um because you love us. Lord, I am I'm thankful um for the ways that that uh humans have interacted uh to save one another uh in these different ways. But ultimately, we're just thankful for the salvation we have through your son Jesus. Uh and and we are so grateful for that. It's in his name I pray.