Speaker 1: in this mic. It's very calming, very nanny-like, actually. Calm nanny voice.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Midweek Motivation Podcast from DeSoto Hills Baptist Church in South Haven Mississippi. Here's your hosts Mark Lewis, david Burgess, laura Ulrich and Pastor Grant Stegall.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Midweek Motivation Podcast for September the 10th. Here at DeSoto Hills Baptist Church. I'm Mark Lewis sitting with David. Burgess. We hope this program can encourage folks throughout DeSoto County and beyond. Be sure to subscribe and share our link on social media. This is season two, episode two of the Midweek Motivation Podcast. Dave's sitting here drinking a little coffee. It is earlier in the morning. First thing is your first agenda on the day. Amen, it is. I pulled up last year's season of Midweek Moments and plugged the episodes into AI. Now you use AI. I'm a chat GPT guy, but you use. What do you use?
Speaker 1: I use Grok mostly. Yeah, grok, it's free.
Speaker 3: Well, what's amazing about AI for our listeners who have not delved into AI yet? It's, by the way, I don't know that I could go back at this point.
Speaker 1: It's become, quickly become, a crutch Point of no return. We're there.
Speaker 3: Yes, quickly become a crutch point of no return. We're there, yes. Uh, all I did was just copy and paste the links to your episodes in and it spit out wonderful summaries of everything we talked about last season and gave me some great little ice breakers for you, thought thoughts for you piggybacking off of that. Uh, we had you on a few times last season. We talked about everything from nintendo 64 memories to. Romans 12 and anxiety. And so we're going to pick up with a couple of questions. What's the worst Christmas gift you ever received? To that legendary Nintendo 64? You said that was your best Christmas gift. Do you remember a worst gift?
Speaker 1: Certainly. I certainly remember the worst gift I woke up on Christmas morning and I had. It wasn't my only gift, but I just remember why was an orange, just a fruit, a fruit in my stocking? And I looked over in the kitchen on the countertop and there was a whole slew of oranges and I'm like what the I've got plenty of these. Why did I get one of these? It's just taking up space in my stocking.
Speaker 3: Were they trying to make you feel grateful?
Speaker 1: It was probably trying to make me, you know, hold me back on my candy intake.
Speaker 3: Early decorating before Thanksgiving Another theme we talked about last season. Is that a mood booster or just a marketing hype?
Speaker 1: It's definitely both Okay. Christmas decorating before Thanksgiving, before Thanksgiving, it gets you in the mood, man, it gets you in the mood for Christmastime. But, man, the industry knows what they're doing, right.
Speaker 3: And I don't think the industry at all wants to just give us Christmas cheer early. They want to sell that stuff as quickly as possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you take your kids into Target. It's like Christmastime in October and they're like, hey, the more time you have during Christmas time, the more time you have to spend.
Speaker 3: I did get a little ill when we walked into. What store was that yesterday? Tj Maxx? No, homegoods, homegoods. I get them confused all the time because they're about the same store. I do too, homegoods. Halloween everywhere, everywhere, and it's like September 1st. Oh yeah, oh yeah. Halloween everywhere. It's been like that over in. We're two months away from Halloween.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been like that for at least two weeks, because they have no other holiday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, summer's over. They got to get rid of all their stuff. All right, you talked about building good habits. What's?
Speaker 1: one habit you tried and failed at miserably. A habit that I tried and failed at miserably One you tried to build at some point, probably like I overestimate my goal for reading.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: You know, have you ever done that? Yes, you know, have you ever? Done that yes. So I'm like, oh, I'm going to read you know 30 books this year, or in two weeks I'm going to read two books and I get to the end of the two weeks and I'm like scrolling mindlessly through TikTok, I'm like, oh, what about the book? What did I do with the book? I've got five minutes left to finish the two books.
Speaker 3: You tried to learn Spanish for a while. I've tried to learn Spanish multiple times and I've failed at that one. So that's one habit. I've tried my hardest to do is learn another language. Yeah, I know about.
Speaker 1: I can get dirty with Spanish, like if I hear, if I walk in and hear TJ Maxx and they're spitting out an ad in Spanish, I know what they're saying. If I walk past some people and they're speaking Spanish, I can pick up what they're saying. I stuck with Duolingo for a while and I learned about 1,500 words.
Speaker 3: Okay. So, you've got enough of the street language. You think you can kind of know what's going on.
Speaker 1: I can know what's going on in a conversation.
Speaker 3: You just wanted to hear people talking bad about you. I understand it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Ooh, you said something not nice.
Speaker 3: If fellowship had a flavor, what would it taste like in your home?
Speaker 1: Oh, watermelon, Absolutely Watermelon, man, it's so much food and you can eat so much and it just makes you happy and it and it's a negative like caloric intake. So, it takes more energy to burn than take in, right, and you can just eat all you want and just be happy, right.
Speaker 3: Uh, from the Anxiety episode, I love this one. If you could delete one app from every teenager's phone for a month, what would it be?
Speaker 1: Oh, one TikTok. I'm deleting TikTok over Snapchat 10 out of 10 times. Delete TikTok. The world would be a better place.
Speaker 3: We took a poll at school for the yearbook, and Snapchat and TikTok were head-to-head and it was overwhelmingly TikTok. Snapchat is almost no longer a thing with this current generation. I think it's the previous generation that are in their 30s, that were the Snapchat children, and now it seems like TikTok is king.
Speaker 1: They're like late 20s, 30s, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Share a funny real-life moment that beat anything social media could offer, and I know you've got those. You've got those stories in spades.
Speaker 1: A funny hold on.
Speaker 3: Repeat the question a funny real life moment that could beat anything we would see on social media for entertainment okay, I've shared this story before with these students um fireworks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you knew we were going it's unbelievable. It's so, uh, obviously, I was probably 10, 11, 12 years old and I, uh, we, we discovered that we were throwing bottle rockets in the pond and they would stay ignited and they would shoot and blow up underwater. I was like this is awesome, this is the greatest thing ever. And then in my head, like, like, very impulsive person, the impulsive person that I was, especially when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Poor choice maker yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: It was like act before you think you know. And so I had a slew of bottle rockets left over from 4th of July and I was like you know what? This is the greatest thing ever. We can shoot bottle rockets inside the house. And so I filled up this trash can full of water and I was in my room and I made sure, like nobody's around I mean, I had the forethought to think, all right, I'm gonna get in trouble if I get right uh, and so I had lit a bottle rocket, put it in the trash can full of water, and and it did what bottle rockets do? It stayed in the trash can and blew up. Well, exits the water, is the smoke Right. And then I hear footsteps from my mom walking down the way around towards my room and I'm like wigging out. I'm like here comes mom, she's going to go nuts. And so I run over to the window and I'm trying to throw this trash can, this five gallon water and full of water out the window. And as I'm in the process of throwing out the water, mom walks in the room and I turn and look at her and her teeth are already grit towards me and she said what are you doing? Are you kidding me? Just like that I'm like. All I could do is like I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. Mom, I don't know what I was thinking. Dumbest move ever of dumb moves, right there.
Speaker 3: And you did fireworks and you did preface that story on wednesday night with this is something I am not encouraging you exactly do, exactly. Okay, let's get that out of the way.
Speaker 1: Most adults here listen to the podcast, I'm sure, but even so, gentlemen, don't do it.
Speaker 3: All right, you are plugging along here at DeSoto Hills, you are discipleship minister. You are still working with our youth, as we are searching for a youth pastor. Tell us some of the things, some of the themes that you plan on hitting with our students this fall.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we are in a series and it's going to take us through probably December and it's all about knowing Jesus and it's all about knowing Jesus, Knowing him. We started off in the book of John and just talking about the preexistent Christ and what that implies for our life. If Jesus was there at the beginning, he was there as playing an integral part, a main part really, of our creation. The word says in the beginning was the word and the word was with God. The word was God, um, and in in in him, like everything was created that was created, and so Jesus plays a role, or was at our creation and and is the creator. And so, uh, we talked about our first Wednesday how huge the implications are that Jesus is the pre-existing Christ, pre-existent Christ in our lives, like. If that is true, then like we owe everything to him. You know our whole existence should be built around who he is, what he wants for our lives and his authority in our lives. Everything is built around Jesus. If he is the preexistent Christ, the creator God there in the beginning of eternity's time, like huge implications for our lives.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. If you could pick one or two things that you'd love to see happen in the life of our students this year, what are some things that you would love to see happen in the life of our students this year? What are some things that you would love to see?
Speaker 1: Just the turning on the light of repentance. Okay, and we're going to get into that here in a little bit, but to understand true repentance is not just a one-time deal, it's a lifestyle. And so you know, if we could help our kids bear fruit in keeping with repentance as they follow Jesus, know Jesus man, it would be the biggest win. And they are Like we are really in the past few weeks just in youth ministry in general, we have been hitting on this idea of repentance and it's clicking. And so if every single student could understand what repentance is man and how it should flow from their life on a daily basis, it would be a win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it. I'm super excited For those of you who feel like you haven't plugged in yet. If you could find a way to plug in, we're going to talk about that this month as we're doing Impact Month here at DeSoto Hills. If you see one of those episodes and a ministry that you think you would be valued at plugging into, we certainly want to encourage you to do that. All right, hopping to your personal life. About three weeks ago, you had Leo completely severed. What happened? He was on a trampoline and he pulverized his arm somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. So all three of us the boys me, milo and Leo we're on the trampoline just playing. We play this little game called cat and mouse, and so I'm the cat and I'm trying to get the mouse, and so they're the mice. But we were getting ready, we were winding down. It was like a Tuesday evening, 6 pm. We have a trampoline fit with safety net so kids don't fall off.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, they make trampolines way better these days than they used to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know user error when you don't like close the opening, oh no, yeah. So Leo kind of leaned into the net, thinking the net was behind him. But as he leaned into it he was kind of partially on the opening and he rolled out. And he kind of rolled out, rolled out from his back onto his front, onto the ground, broke his radius and ulna in his right arm, right there in the middle of his forearm, just broke both bones. And so he screamed and I knew he fell off to where I couldn't see. But the way he screamed I was like, oh, he broke something, something is broken 100%. I looked down and saw his arm, just a glimpse of it, and I said that thing is broke and so I picked him up. Hannah came to the door, she looked at me and and I said he broke his arm. And so we quickly got ready and took him to Campbell Clinic and they sent us on to Le Bonheur don't you just love it when you hit one office and they say you need to go to another? yeah, and then we should have just gone straight to Le Bonheur, honestly like it was right, honor honestly like it was right that bad it was hard to tell, but when they took the x-ray at campbell clinic they turned it over and we knew it immediately, because there it was just pretty gnarly scene and no doubt you're sick at your stomach because you're like stupid.
Speaker 3: I should have zipped that thing closed, but I can totally see it in fact, yeah now that I think about it, most people who have those nets they never zip the thing because that's just extra work and it's like the chances of you hitting that part of it are pretty slim.
Speaker 1: Well, they're not zero people.
Speaker 3: It's not zero what else did y'all do this summer? Because we haven't talked to you this summer uh, really, we just went summer camp.
Speaker 1: Uh, summer camp was awesome. It was the best so far.
Speaker 3: Uh, we went and we've never, we've never been up to the mountains like that for a summer camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a new thing for us. We went up to the mountains and outside of Gatlinburg or in Gatlinburg really it was called Wayfloe Mountain Retreat and it was the best. The kids loved it.
Speaker 3: Lots of activities at that camp to do, yeah plenty.
Speaker 1: There was plenty to do, nobody was bored, we all just had the best time. I mean, the kids said it was the best camp ever. I thought it was the best camp ever, the best venue by far Service isn't great up there, so you also are just almost got a baked-in unplugged week which is also amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's good Swimming pool lake, all the blob stuff on the lake.
Speaker 1: Oh, they had basketball at it, Volleyball yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh man, they do have a bunch of stuff. Then Yep Volleyball. I bet that was fun.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was a lot of fun. We utilized the whole campus. They had some trails, they had a creek that ran through the middle of the property. It was ice cold. It was fun to sit in. Yeah, everybody, just I mean, it was the best place.
Speaker 3: Bluetooth speaker. I'm sure you were bumping some music the whole time. Oh, yeah, the whole time. All right, we're going to shift to our devotion portion of the podcast that we call the midweek moment.
Speaker 1: All right. So I mentioned earlier this theme of repentance that we're going through. You know that keeps recurring in our student ministry and in my own personal life this theme of repentance keeps coming up, and so I want to keep with that. This morning we're going to be in Luke, chapter 5, starting in verse 27, and it's how Jesus calls Levi, and Levi was a tax collector, and so we're going to read that this morning and then we're going to kind of unpack a little bit of what it means. So in verse 27, chapter 5 of the Gospel of Luke. So verse 27, chapter 5 of the Gospel of Luke. After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the tax booth and he said to him follow me. And, leaving everything, he rose and followed him and Levi made him a great feast in his house and there was a large company of tax collectors and others reclining at table with him, and the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples saying why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners? And Jesus answered them those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick I have not come to call the righteous, but the sinners to repentance, all right. So Jesus is calling sinners to repentance. Let's keep that in mind. So Levi was a tax collector. He was a Jew by birth. He was collecting tax from his own people for a government occupying the Hebrew land. Okay, so he was seen as this sort of traitor to his own people. He was taking money from his people, giving it to the Roman government, all right. So that's you know issue one. Issue two is tax collectors characteristically like, took extra money. They took extra and padded their own pockets. Well, they were real popular among the popular my people? yeah, they were loved to universally loved. Yeah, that's a joke. They were hated, so they they were. He was a traitor, he was seen as a just the worst type of person, and so they got a bad rap, and rightfully so. They took bribes. Think about being in that position and say hey, I can fudge these numbers for you. If you give me a little extra, we'll call it good. And so they took bribes, and you could tell by their lavish lifestyle they were getting money from somewhere, and so the tax collectors were wealthy and what was important to them was money over, you know, allegiance to their nation allegiance to their people. Yeah, money was the most important, and so they were just generally seen and were corrupt people. But we see Jesus come on the scene and Jesus, as you know and as our listeners know, jesus changes everything. So Jesus, he calls Levi and says follow me. And it doesn't say anything else. All it simply says is Levi rose and followed Jesus, so he left everything. Levi left everything and followed him. And so when we see this moment of repentance in Levi's life, we have this definition of repentance. Is that you just like, oh yeah, just stop sinning, right, just stop sinning, repent, stop sinning. That is great if it is like, possible, right, if okay, like if I were to tell people you just got to stop sinning and then you're good. Well, stopping sinning is like a form of works. If we leave it there, all right. If we abstain from sinning, thinking that's what God wants, then it's going to leave you empty-handed and not known by Jesus, all right. And so what Jesus is doing is he's yes, he's calling Levi away from his old life. He's like calling him away from his corruptness, his sin. Say let go of that, let go of the world, let go of what entices you, Turn away from that. But he calls him to himself. All right. So if Jesus calls us to anything, you know, we kind of live in this culture where we mystify the calling of Jesus. Jesus, throughout his ministry he called people just to himself. And so that's what Jesus called Levi to. He said call, come and follow me. And Levi left everything in his repentance. We see that he left everything and followed Jesus. And then the next couple of lines said that Levi made him a great feast in his house and there was a large company of tax collectors and others reclining at table with him. So we see not just Levi, the act of repentance, but we see the fruit of repentance. Like Jesus comes into his circle, jesus comes into his house. He invites Jesus into his most sacred space. It's his house. He invites Jesus in. And not only does he invite Jesus in, he invites everybody. He knows all the tax collectors. He's like man, I'm going to get all these people following Jesus. And so he invites his most corrupt acquaintances, his most corrupt connections. He invites the darkest sinners to come into his house to surround Jesus, in hopes that they are changed as well, that they can find new life. They don't have to be, you know, the armpit of society anymore. You know, they are the stink of society because of how they live their life and chose what to do. And Levi, who aka is Matthew, he's like come on, guys, we don't have to live like this anymore. I found Jesus and he changes everything, and so there's fruit in his repentance. It's not just this act I'm going to stop sinning, it's I'm letting, I'm turning away from my sin, I'm turning to Jesus, and the fruit of it is like I'm bringing people into the kingdom with me. And so we see the fruit of repentance in Levi's life. And so my question is what is true repentance? What is it Like? Is it just stopping sin? No, I think what true repentance is is an acknowledgement. It's an ownership. It's taking ownership of what you are Like I'm a sinner and there's nothing I can do in and of myself to change that about me. And so I'm going. True repentance is more so, not just a stopping of sin, but it's an acknowledgement and understanding of what I am. I'm a sinner, I'm a slave to sin, I'm powerless to save myself, and so repentance is, yes, realizing is acknowledging that, acknowledging what God already knows about you and turning to Him, turning to Jesus as central focal point in my life from here on out. Yes, I'm going to fall, yes, I'm going to stumble, but Jesus is the prize. And if we turn away from our sin, we have to turn towards something, and that something is Jesus. So Jesus is our focal point from here on out. So, with that said, if Jesus is the object of our repentance, we turn away from our sin, turn to Jesus. It's not just, we take repentance as just this one-time thing. Right, it's this one-time thing in our life. No, in Matthew 3, 8, john the Baptist, when he came baptizing people, he warned the Pharisees and the religious leaders, called them a brood of vipers and he said bear fruit in keeping with repentance, all right. So in my personal life and this is where we'll finish, and this is the challenge that I'm going to issue our listeners this morning is, in our life, true repentance is not a one-time thing, it is a daily thing. It is, you know, jesus tells us to take up our cross daily and follow him. And then in John the Baptist, he says he warns the Pharisees, he says you brood of vipers, and he warned them bear fruit in keeping with repentance. So in my life, when I'm living in the mountaintop or when I'm down in the valley, like the thing that brings me to reality of who I am, where I am, whose I am, is preaching the gospel to myself daily, reminding myself that Jesus, the Son of God, loved me, he lived the perfect life, he died a sinner's death, he was nailed to a cross, was in the ground for three days and rose from the dead. And that brings me back to reality. It's knowing Jesus, being known by Him. Preach the gospel to myself daily, follow Jesus.
Speaker 3: You know, we often listen to these stories in the Bible and sometimes I catch myself thinking of some of these stories as fiction. And you have to remind yourself these are things that really happened. Imagine a guy, a prophet, the son of man coming into your house and saying drop everything you're doing right now and just leave and come with me. How many of us would have the discipline to actually do that?
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Because I can honestly say I don't know that I would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the kind of thing is like God activate whatever faith in my heart and mind, activate whatever faith it takes to do that, because man. I can't do it myself.
Speaker 3: Right. I mean, these are very serious, thought-provoking situations in the Bible that if you really, if you were honest with yourself, if you put yourself into Levi's shoes, what would you do? I mean something else. Thanks for listening. If you don't have a church home, we'd love to see you here Sunday morning. You can catch our services online at desotahillscom, our YouTube channel at Desoto Hills Baptist Church. For all of our church family, we love you. We'll see you back here next week. Have a fantastic day, God bless.
Speaker 2: This has been your midweek motivation. We'd love to have you join us in person on Sunday mornings. Our services are at 9 and 10 30 AM.