SPEAKER_02: I teach a New Testament class in our homeschool community.
SPEAKER_03: Uh-huh.
SPEAKER_02: So what did God do? What was the punishment for them not going into the like not wanting to go into the promised land at that time? Crickets. That's like so and it's it's three kids. Snakes. There were snakes. You're right. There were snakes. That was a punishment that they got. But before that, like I said, they were in the wilderness for 40 years. Remember, I said, and but when the ten spies said at Kadesh Barnea, some of them wanted to go back to Egypt. Don't do that. Instead, hang with God and get the blessings I've I've promised land. And it was, but they it was just like.
SPEAKER_03: I'm still thinking about those snakes. What kind of snakes were they?
SPEAKER_02: It just says fiery serpents. We can probably do a Google search and what's saying what snakes are native to the Arabian desert, and black mambas are awful. I mean it was it was legit.
SPEAKER_00: You're listening to the Midweek Motivation Podcast from DeSoto Hills Baptist Church in South Haven, Mississippi. Here's your host, Mark Lewis, David Burgess, Laura Ulrich, and Pastor Grant Steagall.
SPEAKER_03: Welcome to the Midweek Motivation Podcast for Wednesday, March 25th here at DeSoto Hills Baptist Church. I'm Mark Lewis from Grant Stiegall. We hope this programming can encourage folks throughout DeSoto County and beyond. Be sure to subscribe and share our link on social media. Hopefully, the cold weather is behind us. We had a snap last week. I had to go back outside and recover my faucets because I'd already uncovered the front one to do some cleaning on my car. Yeah, but it was only one night. I didn't recover.
SPEAKER_02: I they Amber. One of the TV stations posted or something like, you don't have to do that unless or you don't have to leave water running in your house unless it's going to be below 20 for like two days. Yeah.
SPEAKER_03: So I didn't I'm over it. I am ready for spring weather. Yes. Spring weather. That's what I'm ready. I don't want to I am ready for summer. I'm not really ready for summer weather. Wish we could just have Mississippi spring all year. Or fall. All year. And I wouldn't mind, I wouldn't mind a cold snap for a few weeks. I like wearing a sweater. But I wouldn't mind summer for a few weeks.
SPEAKER_02: Go swimming, like doing it, things. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
SPEAKER_03: But not as long as we have it. We did go we did go to Florida for a few days back in the fall break. It was already too cold to get in the water, even in Florida. When did you go? I mean that would have been the first second week of October, first or second week of October.
SPEAKER_02: We used to go in September and it was still nice.
SPEAKER_03: Like we got in the water. We laid out and it was it felt great. But the water was cold. Yeah. I mean, for me, it was cold, cold, cold, cold. Anyway, all right. Hey, we have a busy calendar this spring, as we always do. So why don't you go ahead and dive right in and tell us what we got? Okay.
SPEAKER_02: Um, well, uh we've already had two, two of these Sundays, but it's not too late to be a part of these ministries. We we're going through Impact Month. Impact Month is um something we started back in the fall just to help recognize ministries which people can be a part of. Like so often we get, I I hear people, well, I want to be a part, where can I plug in? And you we just to better highlight ministries and how people can be a part of. Um we started Impact Ministry, which is just our impact months, which is just highlighting in the fall we did four. This spring we're doing four. In the fall, we'll do four more, and it's just opportunity for you to see some of the ministries that we have going and then go out into the grand hall and sign up for those ministries, or at least sign up to get more information about them. Uh, the first one we recognized this spring was like audio, visual, um, you know, multimedia kind of things, sound, lights, uh, words on the screen, TV cameras, all of those things. If you didn't sign up for those, but you're interested, please contact us here at the church office. We can get you in touch with folks. And um, you don't have to know how to do it. Immediately, we'll train you. Right. But um, you know, that's one. This past week we looked at kitchen and serving in the kitchen. If you want to be a part of that, Miss Jean, talk to Miss Jean at the church office. She'd love to get you involved there. Um, this Sunday, we're gonna recognize our security team. Uh, and then we're gonna let we're not gonna recognize the ministry on Easter just because it's gonna be such a slam service. But um the Sunday after that on the 12th, we'll we're gonna be recognize our women's ministry and some things they're doing, and you can find out how you can be a part of that, uh, ladies. So that's going on right now. Um, we do have Palm Sunday, uh will be this Sunday. Um, I'm excited about Palm Sunday. Um, excited about the message. I I hope it'll be as good as my studying has been. I that's always my hope. I enjoy the study so much, and I I get so much out of it that I just my prayers I can convey some of that um on a Sunday morning. Um, but that's this Sunday. We will celebrate the Lord's Supper. Um, that's kind of become a tradition at DeSoda Hills, is to I celebrate the Lord's Supper on Palm Sunday, so we will do that. And then that afternoon at 5 uh is our annual Easter egg hunt. Which is so much fun. It's a lot of fun. Uh we'll do it down at the pavilion. It'll be outside, weather permitting. Um we'll be outside, and there will be different areas for the different age groups. Um, so it's a lot of fun. Uh so encourage you to come out and be a part of that. The next Sunday, then, April 5th, is Easter. Uh it's a busy morning. We'll do three services that morning, 8, 9, and 10 30. Um, Mark, you know that the 8 o'clock service. Um, it's still a very full service. We have a poster that says abbreviated. The only reason we say abbreviated is just because it's we have to be out of there in about 45, 47 minutes. Yeah, like we're we're starting the next service at nine, so you so we really need to be out nine fifty at the latest, and that's a quick turnaround for that ten minutes. So eight fifty. Eight fifty. Eight fifty, yeah. And so that's the but it's still a full great service, great worship. Yes. Um the message I I I mean, I I do the same message that I do at nine and ten thirty, and so it's a great service. Um, and then the nine and ten thirty services um are are phenomenal, you know, huh? Well thought out. Well thought out and phenomenal. Yeah. And so and then the 12th, um, we are like I said, impact we'll recognize our our women's ministry. But one thing that we're doing to kind of close out impact month and ministries and what people are doing, it's a volunteer appreciation Sunday. So we want to tell say thank you to all of our volunteers. And so uh we'll do that on the 14 on the 12th of April. And then the 26th of April is the third annual DeSoto Hills Children's Ministry Grand Prix.
SPEAKER_03: Um I love that if you if you have not been to the Grand Prix. Wait, is it third or fourth? I think this is the third year. Okay. I think this is the third year.
SPEAKER_02: I know it's third, but for some reason I started thinking it was the fourth.
SPEAKER_03: I know, I know for sure this will be at least the third. How many years have we done it in the MPC? Was last year the first year in the NPC? Okay. Then this is the third year. Because the very first year, the first and only year we did it in the tree house, it was immediately it was like too small.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah.
SPEAKER_03: Yeah.
SPEAKER_02: Last year was the first year in the NPC. It's great. It's uh it's so much fun. Kids have a great time. The adults have a fun time. Adults have a great time. Yeah. I'm having to get dads not to wager over in the corn. I'm just kidding. Uh no, it's it's a great time. It's a lot of fun.
SPEAKER_03: So uh all right. So uh busy, busy month coming up, and I don't have to tell you May will be just as busy. We'll get to that in a week or two. Yeah.
SPEAKER_02: I mean, I was just thinking about it. First Sunday in May is Graduate Recognition Sunday, and then it's Mother's Day, and then I mean, yeah.
SPEAKER_03: And then BBS is here. It's it's crazy. We'll have um we'll have our salute to summer.
SPEAKER_02: Salute to summer is in May. That's right. I mean, that's the the last Wednesday night in May, which is different. I mean, y'all go ahead. That's different. We usually do that the last Sunday in June, but this is the last Wednesday night. So on a Wednesday night in May, the last one in May. I'm excited about it though. It's gonna be good. Uh side street steppers, I've talked to them, they're coming back this year um for for music and entertainment, and then we'll have the water slides, and yeah, it's gonna be great.
SPEAKER_03: And we're got we've got a worship night in May as well. It is a uh a slammed spring straight into a busy, busy summer. And uh, we have some other things that we're excited to tell you guys about, and we will get to those in the coming weeks as well. Hey, I want to do a couple of table topics with you.
SPEAKER_01: All right, table topics, table topics, table topics, table topics, table topics, table topics, table topics, table topics.
SPEAKER_03: All right, we uh have these this cube, this crazy cube of table topics, which is a product that you can get on Amazon, and we encourage our people to get these for your family because they spark some fantastic family discussion at the table. It's harder to get the children at the table these days, so uh, but they do enjoy it when you pull the cube out. If you had to create a motto for your family, what would it be?
SPEAKER_02: Oh I always wanted to do this. My kids never did it, they never got on board. But I always wanted to, when it was time for the Steagalls to leave, I always wanted to say, regulators, and them say, Mount up and go get in the car. Always wanted it, but they never did it.
SPEAKER_03: You big old cheese ball. Okay, which sports team in your lifetime has been the most fun to watch? You're gonna say the Braves, aren't you? Weren't you a Braves? I was not a Braves fan. You watched baseball a lot?
SPEAKER_02: What was it? I didn't watch a lot of professional. Like we we didn't get cable until I was 14 or 15. Right, and I remember you telling me that, so it seemed like you had to watch who was in the local, who was in the There's nobody in local Northeast Mississippi. My grandmother listened on an old transistor radio. I'd go into her house, all the lights were off but one, and she had a little transistor listening to the Cardinals.
SPEAKER_03: Okay.
SPEAKER_02: Um, but I never was really a Cardinals fan. Um we when we when we finally got cable and had TBS, you got WG WGBN, the Cubs, right, and TBS was the Braves, but I never I was I was outside so much that I just didn't watch them play a whole lot. I didn't now I had some teams that I followed. Um I probably followed college way more than I did professional. So even as a kid.
SPEAKER_03: Which which is odd because uh seems like when you're growing up, it seems like the professional teams is where it's at. And then as you get older, you get more into college.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, but no, we I mean we grew up, my whole family was huge Mississippi State fans. So I remember going to Duty Noble Field and and watching the Bulldogs play, and um, you know, going you state fans will know like Tommy Raffo, John Cohen, um those guys. I remember going and playing. I remember one of my one of the most fun I remember is a couple of them. One was they made it, Mississippi State made it to a super regional, I think they were playing North Carolina. This would have been, I mean, it would have been in the 80s probably. And dad all of a sudden said, come on, let's go. We lived about 45 minutes from Starville. Come on, let's go. And we went to the super regional that was lottery on that. That was awesome. And then another one is I was in probably about the seventh grade. Um, we had a guy from South Pontiac who signed with Mississippi State. His name was Steve Hagen, and he was a phenomenal baseball player. And um he signed with Mississippi State, and we had a game. South Pontiac had a game on Saturday morning-ish. And um we found out at that game, it might have been even been Saturday afternoon because we got to we got to Alabama late, but we um found out the next day he was gonna get to DH or play. He's gonna get to play. I think they were playing Auburn. At Auburn. So the head baseball coach said something to my dad and said, Come on, let's go, get the boys and let's go. And so we loaded up and drove over to Auburn, Alabama to watch them play. And but then it was like he it there was no hotels. All the hotels were sold out. So we wound up staying in Bessemer outside of Auburn and then went and and watched Steve play. That was pretty awesome too.
SPEAKER_03: What a memory, man. Yeah, what a memory. How did your parents meet?
SPEAKER_02: They were, I mean, they were older. I when I say older, they were late 20s, early 30s when they met. Dad was a school teacher and coach at Algoma High School. Everybody knows Algoma because of that. Seafood Junction. That's right. Uh dad taught and coached there. And my mom was she worked for the for the state of Mississippi in their school food lunch thing. So she had an area that she traveled in. North Mississippi was in her area. She knew had kind of kind of become friends with the principal at out at Algoma, and Mr. Norwood was like, I got this teacher here I want you to meet, and he introduced them. Were they close in age? Mom and mom and dad.
SPEAKER_03: Um, yeah, I mean, two years. For that generation, that's strange that they were that old, because normally that generation was married. Oh, yeah, but in our early 20s. Yeah.
SPEAKER_02: Um, but no, they they were I mean, they were almost 30 when they got married.
SPEAKER_03: Yeah, that is that is interesting. All right, follow-up question. How did you and Amber meet? Um, we met Were you at Southern Mint already?
SPEAKER_02: No, we met at MC. Um I was I'm two, I was two years ahead of her. So I was a junior her freshman year. She came to MC as a freshman. We met just kind of on campus, you know, kind of things like that. We actually went back the other day, um, or back in February for her birthday. We went and got Eli and uh we went out to to dinner at a restaurant that was closing in Jackson. And so we went and we pulled up on campus and parked, and then she said, It was right there. And I said, What are you talking about? She said, It was right there was the time I met you and remembered. She said, I'd met you, but it just kind of, but I met you, remembered your name, and said, That's the guy I'm gonna marry. But then we met, just kind of we went to church, went kind of in the same groups, kinda. I mean, MC's not that big. So went to ch went to the same church, did some things like that.
SPEAKER_03: So much of our friend circle intertwined so many different places that I never could remember exactly because y'all both worked at GBA too, and so many people meet at GBA. We met at MC, but then she worked after one summer.
SPEAKER_02: One summer we were there at the same time, but I was working faculty and she was working staff. Yeah. And so, um I remember her being a lifeguard the year I was there. We didn't really start dating though, until I had graduated and she transferred to Southern Miss. All right.
SPEAKER_03: All right, that's table topics, people.
SPEAKER_01: Table topics.
SPEAKER_03: We're now gonna shift to our devotion portion of the podcast. We call it the midweek moment.
SPEAKER_02: So I won't be super long on this, but as I was preparing for um Palm Sunday service, which is this week, I wanted to do a different thing kind of out of Acts. I actually I was thinking I would do this passage on Easter Sunday, but then the more I got into it, I was like, no, this is more of a Palm Sunday message. And I began to look at the new covenant. When Jesus uh gave the Lord's instituted the Lord's Supper with the disciples, he said, This is the new covenant in my blood. And we read that all the time, but I asked myself the question, do we know what the new covenant is? Like, what is it? What does it mean? Those kind of things, which led me to say, let's do a message on that. It would be good to do that on Palm Sunday because we were doing the Lord's Supper, which led me also into, hey, let's look at the covenants for a little bit. So, so the next few times that I'm together, we're gonna look at some of the covenants in the Old Testament. Mark, you asked me to do this. First, let's let's define a covenant.
SPEAKER_03: We need some definitions. Let's define a covenant. Because I told you, those of us adults who've heard some of these terms our entire lives will nod along and be like, eh, we might not fully understand or admit that we understand everything about what we're talking about. Right.
SPEAKER_02: So let's clarify. So a covenant is an agreement between two or more parties, okay, in which obligations are placed on one of the parties, or it could be on both of the parties, or on all the parties. So in the ancient Near East, which was which is the Middle East in Bible times, like scholars call it the ancient Near East, but it's the Middle East area in New Test Old Bible times, there were three kinds of covenants or three kinds of agreements that would come. There was something that's more like a treaty for us. So it would be two unequal powers, so a strong, a strong power, a weak power, where the the stronger power placed obligations on the weaker. Okay. Think here in the Bible when God met the Israelites at Sinai, we're gonna talk about the Mosaic covenant in this. The Mosaic covenant was a treaty. God is stronger than the Israelites. They enter into this covenant, and God says, I'm gonna be your God, but you've got to fulfill these obligations. So that's more like the treaty. The second kind is a is a contract where you have two equal powers and they have mutual obligations. Okay, so think in in Old Testament, Jacob and Laban. So Jacob, who was whose brother was Esau, son of Isaac, right? He he went back to his uncle to find a wife. He went to Laban, he wanted to marry Rachel, said, Hey, let me work for seven years and marry Rachel. Laban said, good. So he the obligation was I'll work seven years, Laban's obligation, I'll give you Rachel. And he broke the obligation. Laban broke it, married Leah, tricked him, and then so Jacob went back and said, Okay, this is not, he said, Okay, I'll let you go go ahead and marry Rachel, work seven more years. And so he worked, he married Rachel, worked seven more years, and then even came and said, Hey, let me work longer, but now give me some of the sheep that you know, like give me all the speckled sheep, or give me all these kind of things. And so that's that that was a contract, two equal parties, mutual obligations. The third is kind of a grant, okay? And so you have unequal powers, but the stronger power obligates itself for the benefit of the weaker power. So like the government feeding its people or famine. In New Testament, the Abrahamic covenant. God says, Hey, I'm picking you, Abraham. You're gonna, I'm gonna give you, make you the father. You're gonna have a lot of descendants, I'm gonna give you land, and you're gonna be a blessing to the nations. What did Abraham have to do? Nothing. I mean, nothing. The new covenant that we're gonna look at this week, it's it's it is a grant. I mean, it's God saying, Hey, I'm gonna do a new covenant, and you're not, it's not like the Mosaic covenant where you have these obligations. I'm gonna put it within you, and it's gonna come from the inside out. And so, so it's a grant. So, three kind of covenants. Okay. Today we're gonna look at the Adamic covenant. are the covenant God made with Adam. Okay. It's the first one. This covenant is uh it it's more like the um I guess it's it's more of a it's it's not an equal power. It was it's between a grant and a treaty. Okay. So here's what happens in Genesis chapter 1 when you come to verses 28 through 31 it says God blessed them that's Adam and Eve and and God said to them be fruitful and multiply fill the earth subdue it have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heaven and over the living over living birds over the living thing that moves on the earth God said Behold I've given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of the earth and every tree with its seed and its fruit you shall have them for food and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth everything that has breath of life I have given every green plant for food. And it was so and God saw everything that he had made and behold it was very good and there was evening and there was morning the second day. So here's the covenant I'm giving you all this here's what Adam and Eve were supposed to do be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth they were supposed to subdue it and have dominion over it. Then he tells them how to do that in chapter 2 verse 15 he said the Lord took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work and to keep it so that's how he is going to subdue and have dominion he's put him in the garden he's supposed to work it and then he says you can eat from all the trees everything except the one in the middle of the garden the tree of knowledge of good and evil you should and if you do these things life is going to be great the problem is in chapter three Adam and Eve don't do that that they eat from the fruit so then God curses them he tells Adam he's going to have to work he's going to have to sweat he's going to fight have to fight thistles and thorns and and all of these all all of his days he tells the Eve that she's going to have pain in childbirth she's going to strive to win the affection of her her husband and then the serpent is going to crawl on his belly and but then he says that the the seed of Eve is going to crush the head of the serpent and the serpent's going to bruise his heel. So so there is the falling now here's the cool thing about that covenant you we see that covenant we see what we find though in the New Testament is Christ is going to fulfill all of those covenants. He's going to to win them back. When you come to Romans chapter five we see that how Adam fulfilled not how Adam how Jesus fulfills this covenant and does what Adam was supposed to do. He says therefore just as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin and so death spread to all men because all sin for indeed for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given but sin is not counted where there is no law yet death reigned from Adam to Moses even over those whose sinning was not like the transgressions of Adam who was a type of the one who came who was to come so sin entered the world through Adam death entered through sin all men since all men are going to die. And we see that but Christ came and he fulfilled it because he lived a perfect life. It says but the free gift is not like the trespass for if many died through one man's trespass so everybody's going to die because of the sin because sin entered through Adam, death through sin, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus abounded for many. And the free gift is not like the result of the one man's sin, for the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. For if because of one man's trespass death reign through that one man, much more will those who have received abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through that one man, Jesus Christ. So because Christ lived this perfect life he died and took the punishment that we were supposed to receive he justifies us. And then what it's going to go on and say in verse 18 therefore that one trespass less led to condemnation for all so one act of righteousness Christ living this righteous life being crucified leads to justification and life for all men for as for as by one man's disobedience the many were made sinners by one man's obedience many will be made righteous. Now the law came to increase the trespass but where sin increased grace abounded all the more so that as sin reigned in death grace might grace also might reign through righteousness leading through eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. So because Jesus was the perfect Adam he didn't sin he died and took the punishment to justify us so he took the punishment for that and then through the resurrection he gives us his righteousness so he brings justification he brings righteousness he brings sanctification and it's not earned under the obligation of not eating the tree of the fruit it's earned as a the fruit of the tree is earned as a free gift God gives it it's it's more that grant that he gives it for the benefit of us through Christ's death and resurrection how many years do they think it was from the time of Adam to Christ dying on the tree?
SPEAKER_03: Do scholars really know that?
SPEAKER_02: I mean you can take and I I I can't tell you right off the top of my head but you can take if you take the Bible there are timelines that are there that if you take this timeline and you use the lifespans of people leading up in the old testament to go back to I mean but because think about it they count it I mean but BC so we count AD after Christ we count one two three four so if you count years BC it's backwards. Correct. So they're counting from whatever I mean they're counting up that way. So they they there is a time and I have it in my office somewhere um so they know it I I mean I want to say gosh I want to say 1500 to 2000 years something like that.
SPEAKER_03: But but then it's just crazy to think that when Adam fell God already had this plan in place of how to redeem and how many years it was going to take for that to happen.
SPEAKER_02: I just find that interesting I mean and Paul says that in Ephesians like before the foundations of the world he had this all planned out. Right.
SPEAKER_03: So I love it man. Yeah. Well thank you guys for listening if you don't have a church home we'd love to see you here on Sunday morning you can catch our services online at DeSotaHills dot com our YouTube channel at DeSota Hills Baptist for all of our church family we love you.
SPEAKER_00: We'll see you back here next Wednesday morning bright and early God bless this has been your midweek motivation we'd love to have you join us in person on Sunday mornings. Our services are at 9 and 1030 a m