SPEAKER_00: Good morning. There are certainly moments in life where we look around and just have no idea what the next move is. What are we going to do next? Have you ever been there before? Have you ever felt that pressure? I think sometimes it's a major decision. Sometimes it's when we're trying to decide between two options and we're seeking wisdom in order to find it. Sometimes it's a painful trial. Sometimes it's a relationship problem, a burden at home. Maybe it's even pressure at work or a struggle in the church. Maybe sometimes it's even an inward battle that nobody else can see. Have you ever had one of those moments in your life where you're just not sure what to do, which direction to go? And I think in those moments, what we usually want from God is an answer. We want a clear path of how to move forward. And that's often how we pray. What should I do in this situation? What should I do in this moment? So we want God to tell us what to do. We want him to come in and fix the problem. We want him to remove the pressure that surrounds us. We want him to make the path plain, make it easy for us. But what we find in the book of James this morning is he's teaching us that what we need most in those moments is not just answers. What we need is wisdom. This whole quarter we've been talking about wisdom. And I know some of you maybe we've spent a lot of time on wisdom. And uh yes, and I think that's a good thing because we need more and more wisdom each and every day, and there's so many aspects of it that should make a difference in our world, that we should focus on and learn from. And so that's where we find ourselves this morning as we take a look at James 1, 5 through 8. If you have your Bibles, I encourage you to turn over there. We're gonna read that text in just a moment. Um, but as we think about what wisdom means and how to apply it to our lives, it's more than just knowledge, it's more than just facts, but it's how to use those things. Answers can tell you what comes next, but wisdom teaches you how to walk with God no matter what comes next. James says that when we lack wisdom, we should ask God. Why? Because God is generous, because he's willing, he's kind, he's kind to the one who comes to him, but James also makes clear that wisdom is received in a certain way. And again, we'll talk about that in just a moment. It is received through our trust in him. So here's the bottom line for our message this morning. God gives wisdom generously to trusting hearts. You want to seek wisdom, you want to have wisdom in your life. Well, it begins with trusting God. And we we began this quarter with that exact thought that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, of how we seek Him, we recognize Him, we trust Him, and that's where wisdom is formed in our world and in our lives. So James teaches us three simple truths in this passage that we'll talk about here this morning. So let's read the text and then we'll break it down into those three points. It says here, if any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. And when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do. So, our first point this morning as we take a look at this text is that wisdom is needed. You ever been there in your life where I just need some wisdom in this moment? Well, it's certainly the case, and you probably don't have to look around this world very far, look around our culture to see there's a lot of people who lack wisdom. Uh, and and maybe it's in the mirror at times. Uh, we need that truth as well. But wisdom is certainly needed. And so, verse five begins this way: if any of you lacks wisdom, and I think that's already encouraging because James assumes that believers, that you and I are gonna have moments in our lives when we lack wisdom. And that should be comforting because it's pointing out that we're not always gonna feel like we're on the right path, that we always have everything figured out. Anybody felt that way before? I know there are many times of my life where I look back and say, Oh, I probably could have made a better decision there, or when I'm facing an upcoming decision and I don't know exactly which way to go. And James says that's okay because many of us lack wisdom. And so we should find comfort and peace in that. He does not speak as though this is a failure or that it is unique to a few people that are weak. But he says, if any of you lacks wisdom, that means this text is for all of us. Notice what James does not say. He does not say in this text if any of you lacks intelligence. He doesn't say if any of you lacks education, if any of you lacks talent, no, he says, if any of you lacks wisdom. Because wisdom is more than knowledge, it's more than just intelligence, it's more than just knowing the facts, it's more than being well-read or well-spoken. Wisdom is knowing how to live. It is seeing life from God's perspective and responding to things and circumstances in our world in a way that honors Him, that brings glory to God. A person can be smart and still be foolish. A person can know many things and still make poor choices. A person can know Bible facts and still fail to apply God's truth in daily life. We have to put it into action, not just know it. I think James is writing to believers that are facing trials. In the verses before this, he talks about trials and testing and steadfastness and maturity. So, in this context, I think as we look at it, wisdom is not merely general life advice. It's wisdom for hardship, wisdom for suffering, wisdom for when pressure is pushing down upon us, wisdom for staying faithful even when life is difficult. There are gonna be moments in this world where things aren't easy. Those are the times we need to live with God's wisdom in mind. So, how do we respond when I'm hurt? How do I endure without becoming bitter? How do I walk by faith when the road that is set before me may be a little unclear? How do I honor God even in confusion? And how do I stay steady when I'm in the middle of a trial? This is all where wisdom is applied. And I think that's the kind of wisdom James is talking about here this morning. That means something very practical for us. Many times we are asking God to change our circumstances when what we really need is wisdom for the circumstances we're in. If you think about our prayers in those moments when life is coming at us quickly, when we're in the middle of a storm, our prayers often take this from me or deliver me from this moment. Help me to get well, help me to overcome this. But perhaps our mindset should shift of how I should walk in the middle of this storm. What are you teaching me in this? What can I learn from the storms that are swirling around me? We pray, Lord, get me out, but sometimes the better prayer is, Lord, show me how to walk through this. We ask God for relief, but God may be teaching us to ask for wisdom in those moments. And the first step toward wisdom is for us to admit that we're lacking it. First step to gaining wisdom is to recognize that we're incomplete, to recognize that we need help. You know, that contradicts what this world teaches us. You need to be self-reliant, you gotta have everything figured out on your own. But the truth is, when it comes to wisdom, the first the first step is to recognize that you need it. I think that's hard for proud people. It's hard for those that are self-reliant. And it's hard for people who want to appear strong. But spiritual maturity does not begin with pretending you know it all, it begins with humbly admitting, Lord, I need your help. And again, that's the very foundation of how we live as Christians. When we come to Christ in that first moment, it's because we recognize our weakness. It's because we know that we are incomplete, and we know that without Him, we are nothing. So coming to Him in the first place is recognizing our weakness and walking in humility. That's where James starts, because wisdom is needed. Second point on your outlines this morning is wisdom is offered. Verse 5 continues, let him ask of God who gives to all liberally and without a reproach. I think this is one of the sweetest parts of this whole passage. James tells us what to do when we lack wisdom. And what should we do when we lack wisdom? Ask God. It's really that simple. Ask God for help. And then he tells us why we should ask with confidence, because of the kind of God that he is. The kind of God we serve, is a God who gives to all liberally, he says. A God who gives without reproach. And we see that in the abundant blessings that we carry each and every day. Think about all the things you have and all the ways that God has blessed you in your life. And so, in that, we know that God gives abundantly. Our cup overflows. So when we know when wisdom is offered, that God is a giving and loving God and He is going to share wisdom with us. God is generous. He is not stingy with wisdom. God is not reluctant to help. He is not irritated by your weakness. He is not annoyed by your need. My guess is many of you have felt that before. When you go to ask for help for whatever reason, we almost feel like we can't ask for help because we want to be self-reliant. And so we hold back when we really do need help. But we're so ashamed to ask for it. But when we serve a God that gives generously, we must recognize that He wants to help. And how much easier is it to go to someone when you know that they are a very giving and loving person? That's exactly what we have in God. Wisdom is offered to us, and we must go to Him to get it. I think sometimes human beings give in a stingy way. They may help, but they do so with a sigh. Never had that before? They help with impatience or they help with a lecture. They're gonna offer you help, but they're gonna tell you what you're doing wrong in the process. I'll help you, but you should have known better. I'll help you, but I'm just tired of all this. I'll help you, but let me remind you just how foolish that you have been. You ever been there before? That's not what we get when we seek God. That's not what we get when we ask for wisdom. James says God is not like that. He gives generously, he gives kindly, he gives without reproach. That means he does not shame the one who comes to him and asks. Some people hesitate to come to God because they feel embarrassed by their weakness. They think I should know more by now. I should be farther along by now. I should still, I shouldn't be still struggling with this. But James says that when you lack wisdom, you should ask God because God is not ashamed to help those that are needed. We come to him, he's going to be there for us. And I want you to see what wonderful news that is. God is not waiting for you to become self-sufficient to come to him. God is inviting you to come precisely because you are not self-sufficient. And again, I go to that very moment that when we're united with him in the waters of baptism, we don't come to him once we have everything together. You didn't enter into that water because you had it all figured out. You entered into that saving relationship with Jesus Christ because you knew you needed help. Because you recognized that I can't get there on my own, and it's only Jesus that could save me. We have to recognize who God is and the love that's poured out for us and the grace that He shares. And notice the promise that you have at the end of the verse, and it will be given Him. That doesn't mean God always answers in the exact form or timing that we expect. It does not mean every question is instantly resolved. It doesn't mean we always receive a dramatic moment of clarity in that moment, but it does mean that God truly gives wisdom to those who seek Him. You continue to trust Him. I was reading through 2 Samuel, 1 Samuel this past week, and watching the story of David play out, and how you know we remember that big moment whenever he conquers Goliath and he is the champion of the nation of Israel right there. And everyone celebrates David, and you would think things would turn out easier as a result. But you know the story. For a little while, Saul puts his trust in him, he loves him. David continues to go out and win those battles, but it isn't long before Saul is throwing spears at him because he gets jealous of David. And so for about a decade, David is on the run. And you may look at that and you say, Well, well, David gave God everything. He trusted him when nobody else did. So why would God do this to him? But I think you take a step back and look what God was doing in that moment. He was forming the heart of a king. He was forming the heart of a man who was going to rule and lead his people. So he found a certain sense of humility in that moment. And we see it on display because more than once David had Saul in his grasp. One time, you know the story, he cuts off a part of his robe. He could have killed him, he could have taken him out, went on to reign to be king, but he had a different priority. So God was working on him in those storms. And I'll guarantee you, David would have gladly said, I want all this to be over. He probably prayed for that. And as he did, the answer that he got wasn't immediate. It didn't happen overnight, but it was a decade worth of hiding in caves, being on the run, living like a fugitive.
SPEAKER_01: Trusted God in those words.
SPEAKER_00: And I think the same is true for us. Even in our storms, you have to keep your focus and you have to keep your trust in him. And because he's working in those moments, he's building in those moments. He's preparing you for the next storm, the next trial that's coming your way. So maybe we don't get the exact answer we need when we go to him in prayer, the one we think we need, I should say, but we do get exactly what God knows we gives wisdom to us through his word. He gives wisdom to us through prayer. He gives wisdom through godly counsel. I want you to think about these things. Are you, you know, it's one thing to say, I'm gonna pray for wisdom, but it's another, are you truly seeking it? Are you going to God's word? Are you going to him in prayer? Are you seeking godly counsel from your brothers and sisters? God gives wisdom to us through spiritual maturity that's developed in those trials, in those stormy seasons. He gives wisdom through a heart that's shaped by trust and obedience when we walk and step with his commands. It leads to wisdom in our life. The problem is never a lack of generosity by God. The problem is oftentimes a lack of dependence in us. We're not trusting him the way that we need to. We are often more committed to appearing strong than actually being dependent on the Lord. But dependence on God is not weakness. Dependence on God is wisdom, and that's what it comes down to. There is nothing mature about trying to live the Christian life disconnected from the God who gives wisdom. There is nothing strong about self-reliance when God has already invited you to ask. I was thinking about this. It's like your teacher at school says, okay, our next test is going to be open book. You can use your book to take this entire test. But you say, Oh, I don't need that book, I got it all figured out. So you the grades come back and you got a 71, and you're like, hey, I got a 71 on this test without even using the book. But then you look at everybody else in the class and they all aced it. Why? Because they use the resources that were offered to them. I think so often in our lives, we know God is there, but we're not leaning on him. We know that he's gonna deliver us in these moments, but we don't trust him like we should. It's like you got an open book test here. God wants to help you, he wants to offer wisdom, but are you seeking him? Are you putting your faith in him? And it comes down to those daily choices that we're making. When's the last time you opened up your Bible and just read it for yourself? When's the last time you just got down on your knees and spent some time in prayer? And I'm not talking about a two-minute prayer before I go to bed. I'm talking about really seeking him in those moments. Opening up your heart to God. That's where wisdom is found. That's where we find him. That's where we ask for his guidance. When's the last time you've truly done that in your own life? So if you act if you lack wisdom, ask of God. Ask the God who gives, ask the God who is generous, and he's already laid out the plan of how we receive it. Ask the God who does not shame the needy because wisdom is offered. And our final point this morning: wisdom is received through trust. James Addison is an important condition in verse 6. But let him ask in faith with no doubting. I don't think James is saying that believers never struggle. It is spiritual wavering. It is asking God for wisdom while quietly refusing to trust him fully. Those are the things that he's pointing to. James is not saying that we don't struggle. He's not saying that real faith never feels weak. He's not saying that Christians never have tears or questions or moments of pain, because I guarantee you we've all been there before. We've all had those moments, but he's talking about something deeper. He is warning against a divided heart. And again, it's doubting. He's the doubting James is condemning is not simply emotional struggle, it's spiritual wavering. It's asking God for wisdom while quietly refusing to trust him fully. It's wanting God's direction while still clinging on to self-rule. It's like we go to him and ask for wisdom, but we're still doing everything our own way. We're not trusting his way. You want wisdom, you gotta trust God. You gotta trust his plan. How often in our lives do we say the right things? But yet our heart is committed to something else. Whether it's sin, whether it's uh a different idol of this world, whatever it may be, money, power, fame, sex, Whatever it is, something that's pulling us away from God. And we refused to put our trust in Him. So wisdom is received when we finally let that go and trust in His plan. James says, that is not faith. Oftentimes it sounds like this: God, show me your will, but I may still do what I want. God, give me wisdom, but I'm going to trust my instincts more than your word. It's God lead me, but only if your leading agrees with my preferences. About that. The wisdom that our culture is missing. So many in our world, in our in our culture here in the United States, they want to claim to be Christians, but they want God's word to adapt to what they believe instead of trusting in God's plan.
SPEAKER_01: His word.
SPEAKER_00: Then verse 8, he says, He is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. And I think that's pretty powerful language if you think about it. A wave has no anchor, it is moved by whatever it hits next. It has movement, but there's no stability in it. James says that's what a divided person looks like, just rolling through. Destructive. Double-mindedness means split loyalty. James says that is a divided person. It means trying to trust God and self at the same time. It means wanting the Lord's wisdom while still leaning on your own understanding.
SPEAKER_01: Ask for it, but we're still trusting the thing instead.
SPEAKER_00: James says that kind of divided heart leads to an unstable life. A life that's unstable in prayer, unstable in decisions, unstable in emotions, unstable in obedience, and unstable in convictions. A divided heart produces an unstable life, but surrendered trust brings stability to our lives. That does not mean trusting Christian. That does not mean the trusting Christian has an easy life. Don't misunderstand the point here. Doesn't mean everything's gonna be easy and perfect, but it means the trusting Christian has an anchored life. And when things get tough, when the storms come our way, you have a foundation you can trust. You have someone to lean on, you have someone that's gonna walk with you. Times are hard. Let's face it, we all have storms. I've preached it many times, but if you're there are probably many of us in this room that are in the middle of some type of storm in our own life. And if you're not in the middle of one right now, hold on because I guarantee you there's one coming. And in those moments, we have to learn to trust him. And that's where our faith is built. That's where wisdom is received. Trust God in the middle of things that don't seem to be going our way. And I think that's what that's what James is calling us to. Not perfection, not self-confidence, not a polished religion, not a polished religious language, but he's calling us to trust. He's calling us to ask God, to depend on God, to receive from God with a surrendered heart. And when you do not know what to do, it's really simple.
SPEAKER_01: Ask God. Go to him. Seek wisdom. Trust him enough to follow what he gives you.
SPEAKER_00: So let's bring it all together as we wrap this up. James teaches us three simple truths. Wisdom is needed, wisdom is offered, wisdom is received through trust. And that leads us to the key lesson for you to take home today. When you do not know what to do, ask God and trust Him to follow through what He gives you. Some of us need that word today because we are in a place of confusion. Some of us are facing decisions, big decisions. Some of us are facing trials or carrying burdens. And some are weary because they have been leaning on themselves for far too long. So in those moments, the word is simple. Ask the God who gives generously. Ask the God who gives generously without reproach. Ask the God who is ready to lead us, but ask with trust. Do not live with a divided heart. Trust God, turn to God, trust his wisdom, and obey his will. That's really the point of all of this. This is wisdom. That's what it looks like. Put your faith in him. So for some today, the real issue is not just what you need wisdom for a decision, but the real issue is that your heart has not been fully surrendered to the Lord. You have wanted God's help, but not God's rule. You have wanted peace, but not surrender. Wanted guidance, but you haven't given yourself to obedience. The answer is not just get better at decision making. The answer is to come fully to God. Give him everything you are. Repent of self-reliance. Turn from sin. Trust in Jesus Christ. That's the invitation for you. You need to respond to the Lord's call. Don't wait. Don't put it off. You need to obey the gospel to confess Jesus Christ to be baptized for the remission of your sins. You need to come back to the Lord with a whole heart. We ask you to come in repentance and faith.
SPEAKER_01: Ask for wisdom and trust Him. Follow.