SPEAKER_01: Good morning. Happy Father's Day to all of you dads out there and all of you that are celebrating Father's Day today. We are grateful that you're here. We're grateful that you chose to join us as we worship the Father together this morning. I want to start with a statement that uh is probably pretty familiar, but uh one that uh rings true so often, and that is the fact that children tend to reflect their parents in many ways. It happens right when they come out of the womb. We start looking at those kids and say, oh, he's got his dad's nose, or the that uh the way that he smiles, the way that she smiles looks just like her mother. And we we begin to assign these features to one or the other because we recognize the parents in those children. And we see it continue as they continue to grow. A lot of times it's just by nurture, by being around their parents, they pick up different characteristics, different things that their parents do. And I think sometimes when you hear something someone says, he is just like his daddy, maybe it can be a compliment, and then sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's because they have the same smile or the same laugh. Maybe it's the same walk, or perhaps even the same stubborn streak. Children have a way of resembling their parents in so many ways. I find myself often doing something, and then I'll think, and I was like, oh, my dad used to. I find myself making a choice or going through something, and and sometimes I look back and say, Oh, that's a lot like my dad used to be. And a lot of times when people see me after they haven't seen me in a while, they'll tell me, You look more and more like your dad every time I see you. And sometimes I'm like, oh no. Uh, but no, he's I'm I'm thankful for that. He's a good at the end of the day, I guess. Uh, but we often get that. We resemble our parents in so many ways. Um, and Jesus says that same principle should apply to us spiritually as well. So this morning, on this Father's Day, that's what I want to focus in on. What does that look like in our lives as we look at the Father and the attributes that he has? How do we implement those in our own lives? What is it that should translate from what we see with him to how we live on an everyday basis? Like father, like son, or like child, you could say, as we each look at him. As followers of Christ, the truth is we ought to resemble the Father in many ways. And as we continue this series on growing in stature, I want us to think about how true spiritual growth, how true spiritual growth should look in our lives each and every day. Because spiritual maturity isn't measured by how long you've attended church. It isn't measured by how much Bible knowledge that you've accumulated along the way. It's not even measured by how many years you've worn the name Christian. Instead, spiritual maturity is measured by resemblance. The more time you spend around the Father, the more time you spend in his word, the more it should reflect in your daily decisions. When people look at you, they should see God at work by the choices we make, by the things we do, by the way we lead, by the way we give, by the way we show mercy and grace to others. So the more we grow, the more we should look like our Father. Let's look again at our text this morning in Matthew 5. If you have your Bibles, go ahead and turn over there. We had some internet issues, so our uh slideshow this morning, you'll notice, is a lot more basic than it usually is, but it will serve somewhat of a purpose as we work our way through the sermon this morning. But we're looking at Matthew 5, verses 43 through 48. Brian read that this morning for us. We're going to read it again as we enter into this message. Notice verses 45 and 48 as we make our way through. But it's Matthew 5, verses 43 through 48. It says, You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your father who is in heaven. For he makes his son rise on the evil and on the good, and he sends rain on the just and on the unjusts. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Then verse 48, you therefore must be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect. Again, notice verse 45, so that you may be sons of your father who is in heaven. And then in verse 48, that you may be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect. So notice what Jesus is doing in this text. What he's doing is pointing to the Father. And again, the goal is not religious activity in our lives. The goal for us as Christians is to be more like him, to model those characteristics, to reflect his love and grace to the world around us. Reflect his plan, to trust his plan at the end of the day. So the question as we enter into this message this morning is how are we doing? How are we doing that in our lives? How are we reflecting God? Let's look at what Jesus teaches us about the Father as we go through the book of Matthew and his gospel. How can we grow into God's likeness? The first point, if you're using your outlines, the Father is present. Matthew 6, in verse 6, it says, Your Father who sees in secret. And then in verse 8, your father knows what you need before you ask him. I think one of the most comforting truths in all scripture is that we don't serve a God that is distant. We serve a God that is present, one that is there in our lives at all times. There are times where we may wonder where he is, but the truth is he sees. God knows and he cares. In fact, there's nothing that escapes his attention. There may be times we feel alone. There may be times where we wonder if anyone else around us notices. There may be times where we begin to question whether God sees what we're carrying. But Jesus reminds us that our Father sees every tear, every struggle, every prayer he listens to that is uttered from your lips. The Father knows you and he's there with you and he knows what you're carrying on a regular basis. God is present. What a blessing that is in our lives. Think about it. God is there with us. And I think that matters. Because God's presence changes everything. Many years ago, researchers asked adults what they remembered the most about their fathers. You know what never topped the list when they ask this survey money, possessions, gifts. Those were never the first things that people pointed to. You know what people remembered most? Conversations. There's something special about being there. Think about your own experiences with those that you love.
SPEAKER_00: What is it that you remember? The things that they gave you or the moments that you spent.
SPEAKER_01: We don't go and mourn a loved one that we lost and say, Man, I wish they could just give me something else. It's someone we truly care about. Our reflection is, man, it sure would be nice if I could just have one more conversation. If I could just spend another day with that person that I love. Perhaps you've been there recently. Think about what you remember, what you hold on to. It's those moments of presence. And I think the first message, the first lesson for us as fathers today is be present. We as fathers need to reflect our father in the way that we show up for our kids. Be present in their lives. Those random basketball practices, those moments around the dinner table, those Saturday mornings, whatever it may be, whatever it looks like in your own life, show up, be present. Why? Because the Father is present. And we're called to reflect that in our own lives as well. One of the greatest gifts a father can give his family is simply himself. It doesn't mean perfection, but simply presence. It doesn't mean you have to have every answer, but it means you need to be available. And isn't that exactly what God does for us? He never abandons his children. He never stops caring. Have you ever just sat and thought about how amazing it is that God hears your prayers? I know we've mentioned this before, but man, it still amazes me every time I go to him in prayer. The creator of the universe loves me so much that he listens to me. Like of all people, he listens to me. And the same is true for each and every one of you. Your prayers are heard by God. That is powerful. Don't miss that truth among the monotony of our prayer lives. Hopefully, it's something that you do on a regular basis. But don't lose how powerful it is that God is present in those moments. As we grow in stature, we begin reflecting that same presence to those around us. We become people who show up. A Christian is one that's going to be there when times are tough. As Christians, we should be a people who listen, a people who truly care, a people who make others feel seen. Why? Because that's what the Father does for us. Number two, on your outlines this morning, the Father provides. Matthew 6, verses 25 through 32, Jesus points to the birds. You know this text? He points to the flowers and the grass. He says, look at nature itself. Your heavenly father feeds them. And then he goes on to ask the question Are you not more valuable than they are? See, the Father provides. And I think when we hear provision, we often think about finances. We begin to think about food and housing and clothing, and certainly that's a part of it. God certainly provides those things to us, but I want you to see this morning that his provision for us is much deeper. He provides peace when life is chaotic. Where do we find that peace? It's only when we go to him. God provides much more. He gives us strength when we're exhausted. Wisdom when we don't know what to do. He gives us grace when we failed. When you think of God as provider, perhaps that's the most substantial gift that He's given us. Because the truth is, every single person in this maybe has fallen short, but God has offered the grace. God has been there for you even in those moments. That's a love that's poured out for you. That's God showing up. And that's God providing for us. He gives us hope even when we're discouraged. Every good gift comes from Him. I think one of the greatest temptations for fathers is believing that provision is primary financial.
SPEAKER_00: There's more to it than that.
SPEAKER_01: You, as a father, need to be one that provides. And if success is measured by a paycheck, perhaps you're missing a part of what provision actually means. Jesus reminds us that the father's provisions is much richer than just finances. A father can provide a house and still fail to provide encouragement. He can provide a meal and still fail to provide proper guidance. He can provide comfort and still fail to provide faith. See, good fathers provide, but godly fathers help them help their children see who the true provider is. See that? A godly father points to Jesus. A godly father continually reminds his children where those gifts come from. His life reflects God in the things that he does. Every blessing ultimately traces back to God. So as we grow in stature, we become people who reflect the generosity of our Father. Not merely accumulating blessings, but there's an element to that of sharing those blessings. Not merely receiving grace, but extending grace. Not merely enjoying God's provision, but pointing others to it. I heard a message many years ago that still sticks in my mind. It talks about our primary function as Christians, and it can be reflected in one simple emotion. It's this. Who are we supposed to be on a regular basis? Our lives should look like this. Simply pointing to the Father. Who should we be on a regular basis? Who are we called to be? What are we called to look like? Simply this. Pointing to God, pointing to Jesus, bringing others to that truth, bringing others to the one who provides. And that role is especially important for you fathers out there. Letting your children know the one who is the true giver of all these gifts that we enjoy. Pointing to them to the one that gives us the greatest gift that we can receive. Our goal as fathers should be a life that looks like this. Simply pointing. Number three, on your outlines, the Father gives good gifts. Matthew 7, verses 9 through 11, Jesus says, which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone, or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent. Then Jesus goes on to say, How much more will your father who is in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him? Think about what Jesus is saying here in this moment. Even imperfect fathers genuinely want good things for their children. We want them to be protected. We want them to be provided for. Sometimes the best gift he can give you is a closed door where you need to go a different direction, pivot. Sometimes his gift is healing. Sometimes his gift is simply the strength to endure. Sometimes his gift is to rescue you from a moment in life where you need rescue. But sometimes the gift that he gives us is growth through hardship.
SPEAKER_00: But whatever he gives, ultimately.
SPEAKER_01: I think sometimes the best thing that we can receive is just that solid foundation to hold on to when life storms come our way. I'm not going to go as far as to say that God gave you that storm, but I will go as far as to say he's allowing you to endure it because of what it's building inside of you. He's allowing you to go through it because he knows that it's a reminder of the foundation that you walk on, what you stand on, what is important to you. And it's in those moments of extreme duress where the true you comes to life. Sometimes the best gift that he can give us is uh to allow us to encourage, allow us to recognize where our foundation truly lives. Harsh to let me go through that. How awful was that moment in my life, but then 10 years down the road I look back and say, Man, I'm so grateful for that moment. I'm so grateful for that storm. Look at what it taught me, look at where I am as a result. Those that have been through addiction will tell you the best thing that ever happened to them was rock bottom. Because it helped them see where the truth lies. Those have been healed are typically the ones that recognize Jesus in their moment of weakness. The same is true for us. God gives incredible gifts, and some of those are simply being with us. His presence in those moments of hurt because God is good. And as we grow in stature, we need to begin reflecting that same generosity. We become people who bless others, we become people who encourage others, we become people who invest in other people that lift each other up. This should be a place known for lifting others up. When they come here, they should feel the love of Christ. When people enter that door, there should be a weight that's lifted off of them because of the encouragement that they feel. I'm blessed to be around a group of very loving, encouraging people, to be a part of this family that you can so easily tell they truly love and encourage one another, and what a blessing it is to be part of this family. Amen. That's exactly who we are called to be. The Father who gives good gifts is a representation of who we should be. Matthew 18, 12 through 14, Jesus tells the story, and you know it, of a shepherd who has 100 sheep. What happens? One wanders away. There's one sheep that gets lost. And what does the shepherd do? You know the story? He goes after it. Jesus says, It is not the will of my father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish. Man, what an incredible picture of the father's heart. God does not delight in losing his children. Did you hear that? God does not delight in losing his children. No, he pursues them, he seeks them, he rescues them. God restores his children. You see, the heart of the Father is revealed in his mercy. Thank goodness for that. With me? And I'm so grateful that we serve a merciful God. Because the truth is, every one of us has wandered. Every one of us has needed grace and mercy. Every one of us has needed someone to come looking for us. I think one of the greatest signs of maturity is moving from correction to restoration. Immaturity wants to prove a point, but maturity wants to win a person. Immaturity says, You made your bed, but mercy says, How can I help bring you home? How can I bring you back to Him? And I think that's how the Father treats us. And I think that's how growing Christians begin to treat others. And I want you to see the difference here because it's not about excusing sin, it's not about ignoring truth, but instead, it's about pursuing restoration. Because here's the truth mercy is a family trait.
SPEAKER_00: We're all here this morning because of the grace of God. Every one of us needed grace and mercy.
SPEAKER_01: Because mercy is a family tree. Number five this morning, the Father loves sacrificially. Matthew 26, 39, in the Garden of Gethsemane, you know Jesus' prayer. He says, My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me. But even in that moment, the Father's plan continues, ultimately leading Jesus to the cross. When we think about the Father's love, I think one of the things, one of the places our minds first go is about comfort and blessing and provision, about protection. But I think the greatest expression of the Father's love is sacrifice. See that? Gave his son. The ultimate gift. The cross stands as the ultimate demonstration of love. It's a love that costs something. It's a love that gives. It's a love that puts others first. And I think that's the kind of love that we are called to reflect to this world. We model Jesus as we modeled God's love. We are called to a sacrificial love. The world teaches us to ask, what do I get out of this? But the father teaches us to ask, What can I give in this moment? The world teaches self-preservation, but the father teaches self-sacrifice. The world around us teaches comfort, but the father teaches love. And real love always costs us something. As we grow in stature, we increasingly resemble the sacrificial love of our Father. Are you growing this morning? You look back at your life and see how your life is transformed from one that's all about comfort and self to a life that's lived with an eye towards others. And what can I give? How can I show up? How can I provide? What does that look like in your own life? We reflect where we began this morning. When people look at a child, they often see a resemblance, a familiar smile, a familiar expression. We get to do it all the time. What a blessing it is to have so many little babies in our congregation. Have you gone up to one of them and said, hey, you got your mama's smile? And we look at that kid, they look more like their mom or their dad. You can see it in these little babies that are all around their con all around our congregation. I think just last week or week before, I looked at baby Thomas. I said he looks more and more like a Mark each time. But we see it, we reflect that of what came down from our parents. Something in us that says, I know whose child that is. Jesus says the same should be true of us spiritually. People should be able to look at your life and see a resemblance of the Father. Not because you're perfect, but because you're growing. Growing in his presence, growing in his generosity, growing in his goodness, in his mercy, growing in his love.
SPEAKER_00: I truly believe that's what spiritual maturity looks like. That's what's meant by growing in stature.
SPEAKER_01: This whole quarter surrounds. And I think the question this morning is very simple. This one is for all of us, not just us.
SPEAKER_00: If someone watched your life today, would they see the family resemblance? Would they say you are reflecting God the Father? How you're acting?
SPEAKER_01: And how voices you're about the language you're using, the love you share, the grace you offer. Is there a family resemblance? And finally, this morning, a challenge for you fathers out there. The challenge is simply this the greatest gift you can give to your children is not money. It's not success. It's not even a house or an inheritance. The greatest gift you can give your children is a life that demonstrates faith in God. A life that says, I'm not sitting on the throne anymore. It's a life that chooses God's way over my way. It's a life that trusts the Father enough to follow him wherever he leads. Take that truth into account in your own life. Your children will learn many things from you, but perhaps the most important thing they'll learn is what it looks like when a man humbly puts God first. Are you making those choices? Are you doing that in your own life? Dads, new dads, old dads, have you been around the game for a while? This truth is for you this morning. How can you grow closer to God? How can you better walk that path so your parents, so your kids see God, see Jesus living in you. They see an example of faith that's worth following. Are you giving that example to your kids? If not, my challenge to you this morning is to make a change, to live your life in a way that's worthy of following. Challenges to myself as much as anyone else in this. Because there are little eyes watching. That family resemblance doesn't stop when they come out of the womb. It continues in what they learn from you, dads. Are you being the right kind of father this morning? Long after they've forgotten what you bought them, they will remember whether you love Jesus. They'll remember whether you trusted God, they'll remember whether your faith was real.
SPEAKER_00: And I think that's really the challenge for all of us.
SPEAKER_01: It's not just dad's, it's not just fathers, but it's for every person in this room. Will you trust the father's heart? Will you trust that his way is better than yours? Because the truth is we must surrender our pride, our plans, our desires, and allow God to sit on the throne of our lives. Because the Father who gave his son for us has already proven what love looks like.
SPEAKER_00: Set the tone, set the example. What I want you to know this morning is God hates sin.
SPEAKER_01: Not because it restricts us for anything, but he hates sin because what it does to the people he loves. He loves you too much to leave you where you are. He calls you to something better.
SPEAKER_00: He calls you to himself.
SPEAKER_01: Out of who you were before, to a life that walking with him, that's standing on the foundation, one that trusts his way and reflects his life in the world. So the invitation is open to you this morning. We finally surrender to him. We discover what children of God have always known. That is, his way is simply better. You've never made that choice in your life to let Jesus sit on your throne. You never uh submitted to him in baptism. We want you to do that this morning. Make that choice to wipe those sins away, be raised to walk a new life in him. Please make that choice this morning. Never made that. What a way to celebrate Father's Day, right? Or if simply you need to make a change in your life. Maybe it's just I need to be a better dad. Come forward. Let's pray together. I need that prayer as much as anybody else in this room. Help me be a better father each and every day. Or if it's simply turning back to God and saying, I have lost my way and I'm coming back to you. If you need to respond to this invitation this morning in any way, we invite you to come as together we stand and sing.