SPEAKER_00: In spite of all this, they still sinned. Despite his wonder, they didn't believe. So he made their days vanish like a breath, and their ears in terror. When he killed them, they sought him. They repented and sought God earnestly. They remembered that God was their rock, the most high God, the Redeemer. But they flattered with him with their mouth. They lied to him with their tongues. The heart wasn't stealthful toward him. They weren't faithful to his covenant. Yet he being compassionate, atoned for the iniquity and didn't destroy them. He restrained his anger often and didn't stir up all his wrath. He remembered that they were but flesh. A wind that passes and comes not again. How often they rebel against him in the wilderness and grieve him in the desert. They test God again and again and provoke the Holy One of Israel. They didn't remember his power on the day when he redeemed them from the foe. He performed his signs in Egypt, and his marvels in the fields of soon. He turned their rivers to blood so that they couldn't drink of their streams. He sent among them swarms of flies which devoured them, and frogs which destroyed them. He gave their crops to the destroying locusts, and the fruit of the labor to the locust. He destroyed their vines with hail and their sycamores with frost. He gave over the cattle to the hail and their flocks to the two thunderbolts. He let loose on them his burning anger, wrath, indignation, and distress. A company of destroying angels. He made a path for his anger. He didn't spare them from death, but gave their lives over the plaque. He struck down every firstborn in Egypt, the first fruits of their strength in the sense of Ham. Then he led out his people like sheep and guided them in the wilderness like a flock. He led them in safety so that they weren't afraid. But they overhelmed their enemies and he brought them to his holy land, to the mountain which his right hand had worn. He drove or nations before them. He apportioned them for a position and settled the tribes of Israel in their tents. Yet they test and rebel against the most God the most high God and didn't keep his testimonies. But turn away and act tritrously like their fathers. They twist like a discipl, for they provoke him to anger with their high places. They move him to jealousy with their idols. When God heard he was full of wrath, and he utterly rejected Israel. He forsook his dwelling at Shiloh, the tent where he dwelt among mankind, and delivered his power to captivity, his glory to the hands of the foe. He gave his people over to the sword, and bent his wrath on his heritage. Fire devoured their young men, and their young woman had no marriage song. Their priest fell by the swords, and their widows made no lamentations. Then the Lord awoke as from sleep, like a strong man shouting because of wine. And he put his adversaries to rout, he put them to everlasting shame. He rejected the tent of Joseph. He didn't choose the tribe of Ephraim, but he chose the tribe of Judah, Mount Zion, which he loves. He built his sanctuary like the high heavens, like the earth, which he has founded forever. He chose David, his servant, and took him from the sheep fort. From following the nursery, the nursing use he brought him to shepherd Shacob, his people. He is rail his servant. With upright heart, he shepherd them and guide them with his skillful hand. So read Godwards.
SPEAKER_02: This is the uh the second of two weeks in a row where uh we are all together as a as a family. Kids are in, and uh we have been looking at at Psalm 78, that's Sam that Marielle read for us. That was a long reading. Marielle, thank you so much for doing that for us. Um uh grown-ups, you can have that in front of you either if you have a uh a paper bible here or you can just Google search uh Psalm 78 ESV. Kids are gonna stay in today. Um, and so if you want to come down the front, you can uh come and be with us. Last week in Psalm 78, can anybody uh remember what it is that we were that we were thinking about? This is gonna be fun, particularly for the Linens, but Daniel staying in the whole time. Hey Daniel, uh who can remember what we were looking at last week in Psalm 78? What was the what was the big idea? What was the game that we were playing? Does anybody remember what we were talking about? Yes, Isla, go for it.
unknown: Remember and pass on.
SPEAKER_02: Remember and pass on. That's what Psalm 78 is about. You might have kind of uh gotten lost in all of the stories that ASAP, the writer of Psalm 78, is is retelling. He's reminding the people of his day what God has done in the past in order that we might remember God's past faithfulness and pass it on to the next generation, to our children, so that they might hope in God. And we we looked at three things that uh that the Psalmist wanted to pass on. Can they remember what one of those three things was that was here last week? So we had the we had the crown, first of all. Any grown-ups help? Now let me remind you, it was who God is, and then we were remembering what God has said and what God has done. Those are the three things that we were passing on. Who God is, what he said, and what he's done. Now, as we continue on in this Psalm, one of the things that becomes apparent, one of the reasons why they need to be reminded is because we're forgetful as human beings. I don't know if you've ever uh ever noticed that. You know, your your mom might say to you, have you brushed your teeth? Or go upstairs and brush your teeth, and then as you're going out the door, say, Have you brushed your teeth? Oh, I forgot. Oh, hurry up, let's go, run upstairs. That never happens in our house, just every day. Or you might get a text from somebody saying, on your way home, could you pick up some milk? Could you pick up some bread? And you walk in through the door, and the person in your house says, You did you get the milk? Do you get the bread? Oh again, never happens in our house. We are so prone to forget. So let's warm up our brains this morning. There was uh this side was very uh was very upset that they lost the game that we were playing last week. And I have uh let me show you, I have replenished my basket of goodies for for today. There's even more, in fact, because I don't think that everybody got last week. So we uh we have Kinders and Starmix and Lollies. So we're gonna play another game against again, side against side. So if we can have the next uh the next slide, hopefully a game slide will appear. No, that's not it. Um oh, I think we're changing programs, that's what's going on. So we're gonna warm up our brains with a with a memory game. It will be very uh very familiar. It's a memory game of pairs. Yeah. We can just go on to the next one and I'll explain the game. There it is. Great. So side against side, we're gonna try and find the pairs. If you don't get the pairs, we'll click on the uh on the on the red circle and the picture will disappear. Since this side lost, uh, we're gonna go with them uh first this week. So two numbers to try and find a pair. Whoever gets the most pairs wins the game today. Okay, so give me give me two numbers this side. Ten and ten and eight. Let's try ten and eight. And what's eight? No! That's eleven. Eight. Fantastic. Okay, so that's not a match. This is gonna go brilliantly. Okay, so we're gonna cover those over. So you got a little uh you got a little guess at what eleven was. So we get ten and eight, we're gonna cover those back over. Excellent, excellent, okay. This side, give me two numbers twelve and twelve twelve and nine? That was the first one I heard. So twelve and oh. Okay. All right. This side, what number would you like to? What number do you want to pick on?
unknown: Ten and nine.
SPEAKER_02: Ten and nine is that the general can say ten and nine. Let's try ten and nine. All right, so we gotta gotta point for this side, right? So we go, we go back over. Give me a number. So we got three. And okay, so we're gonna we're gonna try three and eleven. Okay, cover them back. We're back over this side again. Let's go right up the back this time. Somebody give me a number. Okay, seven and twelve. All right, let's try seven. Oh, okay. Seven and twelve. This side, what numbers would you like to pick?
unknown: Three and seven.
SPEAKER_02: Three and seven. Okay, let's try three and seven. Excellent. That's one each. All right. Back over, back over to this side. Uh yes. Eight and one. Let's try eight and one. Oh cats cats and dogs. Eight and give me another number. Eight and oh eight and eleven? No, it eight and two? Okay, all right, okay. Whoa. Are we just eight and two? Right. Eight and two. Okay. Sorry? Two and eleven. Okay, two and eleven. Yes. Two points to this side. So you guys won last week, so it's fine. Uh all right, let's try again. Let's see if you can even it up. So we're saying eight and four. Right, eight and four? Yeah. Okay. You got you got one, you got one shot, right side. Okay. Oh, and what do you want to pick? Give me one number. Just give me one number. Twelve and six. Let's try twelve and six. Yes. And so obviously, this side are gonna pick one and five. Let's see, one and five, just to finish off the game. Great. So, what we're gonna do, turns out it was a draw, hang you. Um well done, everybody. So, as you're leaving, if you would like to take a nice lollipop or some sort of treat, they're gonna be on the basket here as you exit. Well done, everybody, for playing the game. Uh, give yourself all a round of applause. I I know it was so fun, wasn't it? Do you say you saw the dog and the monkey? I know, right? In the game, what would happen if you forgot? Well, if you forgot the squares went blank again and you couldn't see them anymore, and you ended up well, what would have happened is you would have you would have lost the game. The psalm is all about what happens when we forget what God has done, when we forget what he has said in the past, and when we forget who he is. And so the the psalmist gives us three ideas, three pictures of what it's like to forget God. And the first thing is that when we forget what God has done, when we forget what God has said, we begin to grumble against God. We begin to complain, and that's exactly what happened in the Psalm. So if we remind you of one of the verses that we read last week, so picking it up in verse 17, says, Yet they sinned all the more against him, rebelling against the most high in the desert. They tested God in their hand in their heart, demanding food that they craved. They spoke against God, saying, Can God spread a table in the wilderness? He struck the rock so that water gushed out, streams overflowed. But they said, Can he also give bread or provide meat for his people? Do you see the grumbling? Could God do this? Could God feed us in the wilderness? Uh, and so they began to grumble against God. Let's next picture. Let's put up this cartoon. Some parents are going to resonate with uh with the cartoon that comes up right now. But this is really how we respond to God a lot of the time. Is we we grumble against him. We think, okay, well, he was he was good for us in the past, but we say to God, well, what have you done for me lately? I don't know if any any mothers uh think that this is particularly relevant uh to them. You have all that that is provided, and yet there's a sense in which when we grumble, we say, Well, what have you done for me lately? One of the things that we forget is we forget how good God has been to us. And so we say to him, Well, that's great, but you didn't come through for me here, you didn't provide for me here. What have you done for me lately? Imagine, imagine for a second, imagine you were in the middle of a busy road, in danger of all of the traffic whizzling past you. And imagine somebody ran out a great risk to themselves and they scooped you up and they brought you safely to the other side. What do you think you might say? You might say thank you. You might say thank you, you might think, oh, I really appreciate you taking that risk to get me safe. How weird, it's alright, I weird would it be if they scooped you up and brought you over to the other side and you turn around to them and you didn't say thank you, but you said what did you bring me? Like, what'd you what did you bring me to eat? Like I'm like, I'm hungry. That would be weird, wouldn't it? But that's kind of what has happened with the people of God in the Old Testament. That's exactly what Asaph is saying happened. That God rescued his people from slavery in Egypt, brought them from certain death through the Red Sea, brought them out to the other side, brought them into relationship with himself. And what did they say? They say, I'm hungry. What am I what am I gonna eat? You brought us out into the desert to starve. See, when we forget about God, when we forget God's good rescue, we begin to grumble against him, we begin to say, Well, what have you done for me lately? Just speaking to the grown-ups for a second, maybe actually that's how you interact with your own spirituality. You you you think, yes, like, yeah, I'm a follower of Jesus. Jesus died for me, he's taken my sin away, but but God didn't help me here. What's he done for me lately? Has caused you in your heart to forget his goodness, it's caused you to grumble against him. You've become a little bit like the children of God in the wilderness, saying, Well, I'm actually quite hungry. What have you done for me lately? You know you're a child of God and you know that you've had your sin forgiven, but there's something else that you want as well. You still want the success, you still want more money, more comfort, you still want that relationship. And while God doesn't give you the thing that you really want, you grumble, you say, Well, you haven't really done anything for me lately. That's the first thing that we do. We grumble against God. The second thing that happens is that once we've started grumbling against God, we start to get bored of God's way. Question What's your favorite food? What's your favorite food, Ayla? I can probably answer this question, but go ahead.
unknown: Pasta.
SPEAKER_02: Pasta. Yeah, pasta and pizza. Pasta and pizza together. Pasta on the pizza. Yeah. In our house, I don't know if you've noticed, but we've never met a carb that we didn't like. Um, yeah, pasta, pizza. Who else has a favorite food? Yes. Pizza as well. Is it is pizza like any others? Any other Owen? Old McDonald's, what we call McDonald's in our house. Uh yeah, we don't get happy meals anymore. We get the 20 Nug share box, and they basically have 10 each. Uh now, imagine. Anyone else want to offer a favorite food? Anybody, uh, anybody's favorite food, something healthy? Ha ha. See, salad. Yeah, whatever. Now, we all have a favorite food, whether it's chicken nuggets from McDonald's or whether it's pizza. Now, imagine for a second that um that that was the only thing that you were able to eat. For breakfast, lunch, and dinner, it was pizza. For breakfast, lunch, and dinner, it was chicken nuggets, or it was pasta all day, every day. Now, these guys, I can see by their faces sitting down the front here, they're like, problem. But those of us who are maybe grown-ups kind of stretch that out and think, well, a few days of that, that'd be good fun, actually. I quite enjoy that. After about a week, he might be like, oh, I'm starting to feel a bit, hmm, not quite sure about that. Stretches out to a month, stretches out to six months, stretches out to a year. And somebody sets down that that that 400th pizza in front of you. I don't think that this is what I want. We begin to get bored. What ASAF is recalling here is a story back in the Bible book called Numbers. Numbers chapter 11, where the people of Israel they began to get bored with what God was providing them. God provided them. Can anybody remember what it is that God sent down from heaven? It was called ma. Yeah, that's right. So they're these little flakes that they baked into bread, and they ate that for a long time. But then what they began to say is, oh, I'm a bit bored of the bread. Gotta go out and collect it every day. Can we get some meat too? And so God sent quail, these tiny little birds. But God also warned them back in numbers. It's like, you're gonna get sick of that too. Yes, you're like, I want some meat. But they grew to hit it. And this is what happens, this is what happens to the human heart is that God is miraculously they're in a desert, there's nothing there, there's nothing growing, and God. God is performing a miracle every day of sending bread from heaven and sending these quail into the camp of Israel. And they're getting bored of it. They're getting bored of God's miraculous provision. You see, when when God's way becomes boring to us, it's really easy to forget God and go a different way. But no other way gives us life. No other way gives us the the joy and the satisfaction that we and the happiness that we want. And I'm gonna speak to the grown-ups. God's way will at some point or another become boring to you. Maybe it's boring already. Maybe you actually hear and you're like, I don't know why I'd be interested at all in the first place. Well, let me say this everything that you chase has a tolerance effect in your life. Do you know what I mean by that? That when you chase after something, you get that initial buzz when you get it, but then you need more of it. Whether it's it's money or intimacy or success. Everything that you chase in this world, apart from God, will have a tolerance effect in your life. Have you noticed that? That you're running after these things, and you're like, oh, this isn't giving me the same satisfaction, the same high emotionally that it did when I first went after it. Because you developed this resistance. Everything that we will chase after will have this tolerance effect. Only God, the infinite, the all-loving, the all-powerful, the all-soul-satisfying, can give us what our soul craves. Be very careful about becoming bored with God's way. And then thirdly, in the in this section and more quickly, once we've grumbled against God and gotten bored of his way, it becomes very easy, thirdly, to follow other gods. And that's exactly what Asaph says happened. So in verses 56 to 58, he says, yet they tested and rebelled against the Most High. They did not keep his testimonies. They turned away and acted treacherously like their fathers, like a twisted and deceitful bow. They provoked them to anger, provoked him to anger with their high places, and moved him to jealousy with their idols. So idols and high places. If you want in the ancient world, you want to worship a follow God, a false God, you set up a high place. When our hearts forget God, we turn to other things to satisfy that craving that whole that turning from God leaves in us. Those are the three things that happen. When we forget God, we grumble against Him, we get bored of His way, and then we turn to other things in order to satisfy us. Now, how does God respond to all of that? How does God respond? Three ways as we finish. Now kids, young people, we're gonna play a game. Okay? If you want to play the game, you need to come up and stand in a line in front of me. And I am going to I'm gonna need I'm gonna need my phone because I need a timer. Okay. Okay, so stand stand in a line, all facing the uh uh the congregation. Fantastic. Now here's the game, guys. Okay, you're all gonna stand in a line and you're going to count in your head 20 seconds. Can you all can you count to 20? Yeah, you need to be able to count to 20 to play this game, okay? And count in whatever language you prefer, right? But you gotta count out 20 seconds in your head, silently, not out loud. And then when you think the 20 seconds has passed, you put your hand up. I'm not gonna put my hand up because I've got sweaty armpits, uh, but you put your hand up nice and high so we can see, okay. And the person who is closest to uh to 20 seconds, or the people who are closest to 20 seconds, get to be the first people to choose something from the bucket, okay? All right, so if you were on the losing side, you get a chance to well, you were it was a draw. Anyway, uh you get to be the first to choose, okay? So I'm gonna set a timer. You all clear what to do? So you're counting 20 in your head, and you guys can help me. Um maybe get some other you can get some other timers going, and we get uh if we need a steward's inquiry. All right. We ready? Okay, we're gonna start in three, two, one, go. Okay, stop. All right. I think that David is our winner, actually. So David David was like at 19 and something. Yeah, give him a big hand. Well done, David. Good job, guys. Don't worry. So he gets to pick first, you'll all get to pick after the service. You pick something, David, and then you guys can sit back down. David, you were almost on the money, I think. Uh that was that was a really good job. What were we illustrating there? Well, one of the things that we were illustrating there was the need for just a little bit of patience, uh, the ability to count for sure, um, but patience, waiting, putting your hand up at just the right time, as David did. One of the amazing things that ASAF tells us in this Psalm is that we forget God, we get bored of God, we follow other gods, and one of the first ways that God responds is that he's patient with us. That reminds you what what ASAF says in verses 38 and 39. He says, Yet he, that's God, being compassionate, it's another way for talking about his love. He atoned for their sin and did not destroy them. He restrained his anger and did not stir up his wrath. He remembered that they are but flesh, a wind that passes and comes not again. That we did wrong. We forgot God, we didn't listen to his ways. And God was patient with us. He was kind to us. So when we forget him and when we realize that we've been living our own way, we can run back to him and say, Thank you, God, for being patient with me. Have you experienced the patience of God in your life? That actually maybe whole seasons you've been doing your own thing and forgetting all about God, and something has happened that has brought you back to him. And one of the things you run back and say, Thank you, that you are a father who always welcomes me back. One of the ways that God responds is that he's patient with us. The second way that God responds is excuse me, is that God does judge sin, but in judging sin, he rescues sinners. Quite a long section, verses uh uh 43 through to 53 basically recounts the plagues of Egypt. Who can remember what the plagues are? Can anybody name a plague? Yes, Leon. There's frogs, frogs is a great one. Anybody remember a plague? Flies, that was another one, Maxie? The last one, what was the last one? You are a firstborn, so you should remember. Death of the firstborn. That's the all that was the ultimate plague. Yeah, Sophia. Locusts, yeah. Oh, we're nearly gone. We could keep yeah. Blood, that's right. The water's turned to blood, yeah. We're in it now. Come on, let's see if we can darkness, yeah. Uh darkness is a great one. Kill the uh light. Um, yeah, Leon. No? Uh crop stones. See, yeah, hail. So yeah, the hailstone sub the crop score. Yeah, so I think we've met so we're nearly there. I think we've missing by my kind we're missing gnats and boils. Yeah? Anyone else think I'm missing another one? Anyway, what? Yeah, so we said we just said hail. Um, but that's what Asaf is remembering. ASAP is remembering that God sent judgment on the Egyptians who were keeping the children of Israelite uh as slaves, and then through the death of the uh of the firstborn or the Passover lamb, rescues his people. That God judges and rescues at the same time. Have you noticed that? That's what happens when Jesus dies on the cross. God judges sin, but in his judgment falling on Jesus, he rescues his people. Judgment and salvation always go together in the Bible. God judges sin and he rescues sinners. Now, here's the question. Were the Egyptians bad people and the Israelites good people? No, it's not so much that God rescues on the basis of good and bad. If God only rescued good people, well, he wouldn't rescue anybody, would he? It's not just that God only rescues good people. No, the problem was that the Egyptians did not listen to God's command. They didn't listen to what God was saying. Let my people go. That was Moses' message. They rejected God's rule, they rejected his way, and so they faced his anger. But every person who trusted in God, who listened to his promises, who trusted and had faith in the Lamb that died in the place of the firstborn, all of them were rescued. Both of the people of God and the Israelite or the Egyptian neighbors who said, Well, I'm gonna trust that too. And so in the Exodus, what you read is that actually a mixed multitude of people came out because it's not about good and bad, it's about trusting God's promises, trusting who he is, or following your own way. God judged sin and rescued sinners. And then finally, God's patient with us, God judges sin, rescues sinful people, and then the final thing that God does as he responds to our forgetfulness is that he sends a shepherd to guide us. Verses 67 to 72. He rejected the tent of Joseph, he did not choose the tribe of Ephraim, but he chose the tribe of Judah, Mount Zion, which he loves. He built a sanctuary like that of the heavens, like the earth which he founded forever. He chose David, his servant, and took him from the sheepfolds from following the nursing news he brought him to shepherd Jacob, his people, Israel, his inheritance. With an upright heart, he shepherded them and guided them with a skillful hand. In our house right now, we are loving uh the cartoon series Young David. Um, you can uh you can just download the Angel Studios app and watch the cartoons. I don't care if you're a grown-up or what, you'll be singing the songs with us. Young David is great, but it it uh it follows the life of this young shepherd boy and how he learned to be the king that God would one day make him into by being a shepherd of God's people. He protects them, he provides for his sheep, he risks his life for his sheep, doesn't he, Ayla? He trusts God every step of the way. See, friends, we're forgetful people. We forget to brush our teeth, we forget to brush our hair, we forget to get our shoes on when we've been told, we forget the bread and the milk, we forget God's way, we for we forget what he's done for us. And we turn and we say, Well, what have you done for me lately? We forget and we get bored and we follow other ways and we forget that he has been so patient and so good with us. So, what does he do? Well, he gives us a shepherd. David is long since dead. But his great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandson, 14 is the good shepherd. That the descendant of David is the Lord Jesus, the shepherd who lays down his life for his sheep, who takes that judgment in order that we might be set free, who frees us not from slavery to Egyptians, but slavery to sin, slavery to that addiction to me, myself, and my. He is the Lamb who takes our sin away so that we no longer need to face God's anger. And what that means is that every time we forget, every time we get bored, and every time we go our own way, we can always run back to Him and have Him welcome us as one of His sheep back into His fold.