SPEAKER_00: Hi, my name is Michelle Steele. Pastor Philip and I want to thank you for listening to this message from Life of Faith Church. We have more resources available to help you build your faith and frame your world by the Word of God. From our website, lifeoffaith.net, you can connect to our YouTube channels. Watch the live stream feed from our church services. Access books and downloads in our web store. And discover more about Life of Faith Church, producing by city, state, nation, and world. Visit lifeoffaith.net today.
SPEAKER_01: Let's go to Luke chapter 12. And we dealt this morning. We'll go over these six things that the Lord said was a sign that a spirit of poverty was at work. And he wanted me to minister on those specifically in the conference that we were at. And uh, but this road of revelation has to be walked out. And uh God's getting us ready for something. And he said to us that April was the door to more. And that door is, he said, flung wide open in in the month of April. He said tonight, as we were preparing to come out for worship, uh the Lord said a few things and he talked about that uh it was going to be begin to be heavy. The next three months it was gonna be very heavy, and it would continue throughout the year. But uh the important thing that I understand that so that door is open, it's there. All right, and so uh while we give according to what we purpose in our heart, that there are seasons that I need to be sowing in. In those seasons that God says, this this thing's open, and I want to be sowing. And that's not uh me saying uh like a lot of ministers do. You know, a lot of a lot of ministers they they say things and they don't do what they're saying. And so it's it's it's it's sowing from them as well. Are you following me? Hallelujah. I've made it very plain to the Lord. When I told the Lord He was my source all those years ago, I made the determination that that when I read that scripture in Genesis where Abraham said, I won't take a shoelace from you, anything from you, lest you can say you made Abram rich. I lifted up my hand to God. It was God that told me to come into the full-time ministry. It was I that agreed to come into the full-time ministry. I'm 100% God's responsibility. Nobody in the world has enough money for me to be after it. Nobody. Right? Because God will take care of it, people will promise and renege. God promises and never fails. Amen. So, six signs that a poverty spirit is at work. Number one, we went over them today and you probably wrote them down, most of you. The love of money. The love of money, sign that a spirit of poverty is at work. Number two, trust in money. Trust in money. We'll deal with that a little bit tonight. Number three, failure to be rich towards God. A sign that a spirit of poverty is at operate in operation. Number four, selfish me first attitude. The fifth one was a refusal to consistently sow and enter into the law of seed time and harvest. A refusal to consistently sow and enter into the law of seed time and harvest. And then the sixth one is an inward jealousy of what others have or are able to do, an inward jealousy of what others have or are able to do. Anybody need any of those repeated? We good? Hallelujah. The spirit of poverty is constantly applying pressure. I wrote down the other morning when I got up, the Lord started speaking to me about this, and he said, the spirit of poverty is a crushing spirit, and it desires to crush the life out of a person. And he said, A person in the grip of poverty feels they have nowhere to go. And he said, That's why I said in Deuteronomy 28 that poverty and debt were under the curse. Now, when we say that, it's not just because we're against debt. Understand what he said about the people under the blessing. It said, You will lend to many nations and you will not borrow. And he said, Under the curse, they'll be far over you, and you'll borrow from them, and they'll lend to you. So he said, being the borrower and not the lender was under the curse. There's not one positive reference to debt in the entire Bible. Not one positive reference. Not one. We talked about it yesterday in men's meeting when we were talking about the Bible as a financial handbook. And I made the statement. It says in the book of Proverbs, it says the borrower is the slave of the lender. Not in convenience. Not a little bit put out, the slave of the lender. Right? Now again, I'm not just, I'm I'm this is not even my focus. I just, from what the Lord said to me, he said in Deuteronomy 28 that poverty and debt were under the curse. I have never intended for my people to be in bondage to poverty or the world system or debt. The spirit of poverty lures people in through wrong thinking about money and how money operates. They think more money is the answer. And when they get more, they throw it on the fire of wrong thinking, and it simply is burned up and produces no lasting value in their lives. They get it and they just throw it on the furnace, the fire of wrong thinking. Hallelujah. And that's why I use the analogy about the wood. He said wood is meant to be burned as that is its purpose. Money is meant to be, and then he gave me three things. Money is meant to be a means to be a blessing. Blessed to be a blessing. Number two, a means to provide desires and needs in this temporal realm. It's a means of completing transactions. A means to provide desires and needs in this temporal realm. It's a means of completing transactions. Hallelujah. And then he said, number three, money is meant to be invested and saved, not merely made and spent. Hallelujah. I told you this morning that I was raised. I can't tell you how many times I heard this when they would speak in regards to spending money. Well, that's what it's for. No, it's not. You have to spend money at times, but spending money is not what produces financial victory in your life. It's investing and saving, not spending. If a person doesn't learn to curb their spending and increase their sewing and their investing, they can't expect to be successful. Amen. I used to know two couples that in the very beginning days of this ministry, years ago. As a matter of fact, uh, this molding, all the crown work that you see here, that one of the guys that I'm talking about did all that, did it for free. All right, one wonderful people. But here's the thing: man, they uh they they thought, you know, all of them had a fifth wheel. You know what a fifth wheel is? Fifth wheel camper. And a boat. And different things like that. And they they were the epitome of robbing Peter to pay Paul. They took it out of this pocket to give it to somebody else. But but but they would talk about how they they were going to the lake in their boat. They never mentioned that they were late on the boat payment or that they didn't have money. It was all a sham. Work a job, get a lot of money, do some work for somebody on a house, get a lot of money, and flash the green. They didn't have any money. They had money in their pocket, they had no money in their accounts. You can have you can have a million dollars in your pocket, and you are not rich because that's not doing anything in your pocket, that's just liquid. The solid is what's in the account. Hallelujah. Do you see this? Glory. To not save money is a violation of its purpose. Money is not the source, but it's the form of commerce in this world. I don't care where you go. In America, of course, it's the dollar. Mexico, the peso. Other places, the euro. But it's still the form of commerce in this world that we live in. Hallelujah. For it to be used correctly, it must be managed or directed. Money unmanaged or directed produces destruction. A person with a mediocre income who will stay out of debt, serve or save, invest, and give will live comfortably and without the stranglehold of the poverty spirit in their lives. Yet a person who makes a large income, who does not direct and manage their finances, will end up in ruin and crushed by the poverty spirit. Why? Because more money is not the answer. More money to an undisciplined person with wrong thinking is just more wood to throw on the proverbial fire. And it truly is here today and gone tomorrow. Hallelujah. And then he went through those three money purposes again: a means to be a blessing, a means to provide desires and needs in this temporal realm. It's a means of completing transactions, a means of investing, and it needs to be invested and saved, not merely made and spent. Hallelujah. Now I go through all that to say the poverty spirit is a crushing spirit. It's always pushing, it's always applying pressure, and it has to be pushed back on. But you don't push back on it by simply buying something to try to show that you don't have a poverty spirit. Do you see what I'm saying? Because people think, well, you know, so yeah, when I go to the restaurant, I'm not going to order the cheapest thing on the menu. Well, okay, that's fine. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you're pushing back against the poverty spirit. It can mean a number of other things. Hallelujah. Are you with me? Why does God want us thinking right about money? Because everything that God wants us to do is connected to how we think. Everything. We've told the story several times about Pastor Carwell, the Lord saying to him, I want you to go buy the most expensive suit in town. And we laughed because he said, Well, why do I need to do that? You know, I can go to the bargain bar and get three for$100. Most expensive suit in town at that time was about$500. And remember what the Lord said? Because if you can't buy a suit for full price, you can't build a building. If you can't build a building, you can't take a city. If you can't take a city, why do I need you? So it was not about the suit. It was about changing his thinking. Because everything is tied to it. Three full-powered television stations were tied to his thinking. Are you following me? Ever what God's asking you to do. You know, everything that you have need of, God knows you have need of it. He's anticipated it, and he's given you a way out of it. He's given you a means of provision. I I have what I have to do is do what? Look well to the state of my flocks every day. I have it on my mirror. I look at it every morning, and it says this have you looked intently at your flocks today? Because I want to look every day. Hallelujah. Do you see this? Because the curse, everybody say the curse. You know, the curse is operating in the earth. You don't have to do anything to get it to operate. It's already operating. The blessing is operating in the earth. I don't have to do anything to get it to operate. Now, I enter into one of those. The curse is not supposed to operate in my life. Right? That's the place to say big amen. Not supposed to operate in my life. Now, can it? Yes, 100%. Why? Because it's up to me. The laws of God are in operation. The spirit of poverty is pushing. Always. It's crushing somebody right now. Right? Somebody is sitting at home worried about their finances. They don't know how they're going to make it. They don't know how they're going to make ends meet. And that poverty spirit is crushing the life out of them. And the more they sit there and worry, the less they're formulating a plan out, the less they're doing something to make a difference. Because they just like the Lord said, they think that more money is the answer. And they get more money and they have an undisciplined mind and an undisciplined thought process about money, and they just throw more money on the proverbial fire. Hallelujah. But you do have to push back against the spirit of poverty. How do you push back against the spirit of poverty? By observing the financial guidelines in the Word of God and adhering to them. Hallelujah. We're going to deal with tonight a failure to be rich towards God. Luke chapter 12 and verse 13. And one of the companies said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said to him, Man who made me a judge or a divider over you. And he said, Take heed and beware of covetousness. Now we read that. What is covetousness? We talked this morning about the love of money. And I said that my wife, who I know has been sitting under the word full time for 33 plus years, 35 years, she said to me after hearing, and I think Brother Jim was there when she said it, because it was right after the over we were talking about this over lunch, after uh the day session at the conference that we were at. And my wife said that my wife said, that's the first time I ever heard anybody teach and tell us what the love of money was. You'll hear people, and and remember what the love of money was from this morning? That missed place desire for money. Desire for money at any cost. Whatever it costs me, I just want more money. Well, what is covetousness? Because we tell, oh, don't covet. Well, what is it? Well, it's it's wanting what somebody else has. Well, that's part of it, but it's not all of it. When I'm covetous, I think if I just had that, I would be happy. And I just need more of that. Right? So there are people that think they just need more money. Well, what is more money without training about money? Hallelujah. So he said, beware of covetousness, for a man's life, notice this, does not consist in the abundance of the things that he possesses. So he doesn't say that riches are the problem, he says covetousness is the problem. The spirit of poverty pushes the idea that riches are wrong and it causes people to be covetous after them. Riches are not wrong. Jesus said that. Hallelujah. One translation, the Weast Bible says, Because not in the sphere of that which is in superabundance enjoyed by anyone, is his life to be found from the source of his possessions. So superabundance is not wrong, but my life can't be wrapped up in it. It cannot, I don't care where you're at financially this evening, your life cannot consist in just getting more money. Well, I got this to take care of, and I got this to take care of, and I got this to take care of. I understand, but your life can't be just wrapped up in that. Hallelujah. The New English Bible says, even when a man has more than enough, his wealth doesn't give him life. Even when you got more than enough, your wealth don't give you life. That's why you need to go back and listen to the message and focus in on the part about contentment and how important contentment is to your financial future. Hallelujah. Money is a form of commerce, but it's not the answer. In verse 16, it says he spake a parable to them, saying, the ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully. Now remember, he's talking about a fool. And he said, This rich man's ground brought forth plentifully. That's God's design. Sowing and reaping, a multiplied harvest. Hallelujah. That's his design. Is that you sow and you reap multiplied portion? Verse 17. And he thought, this man that his ground brought forth plentifully, within himself, what shall saying, What shall I do? Because I have no room where to bestow my fruit. And he said, This is what I'll do. I'll pull down my barns and build greater, and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. Again, nothing wrong with putting back and saving up what you get. Alright? He's got a large harvest, and he goes, I don't know what I'm gonna do with all this. Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna pull down these barns that I have, I'm gonna build bigger, and that's where I'll put all my fruit. Nothing wrong with that. I say, nothing wrong with that. When you're investing naturally, depending on what account you're investing in, there's there's certain IRAs that you can only invest a certain amount in. You max them out. Well, then if you max it out, what do you got to do? If you're gonna save more, what do you gotta do? You gotta get another one. Right? There are IRAs that you got to leave them in there till you retire before you can access them. And then there are IRAs that you can use them. Hallelujah. Individual retirement account. I can use it without penalties. They're quick to make sure you know you got a penalty. But listen, understand, there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with putting back. There's nothing wrong with saving. There are people that unfortunately to this day tell you that if you're investing your money and saving your money, that somehow you're putting your trust and faith in money when in reality you're doing what the Bible told you to do. There are financial things that come against people and they got to use their faith much harder than they would have had to use it if they would have just had a responsibility fund. They had to grind their teeth and stay up and pray two or three hours extra a night because something went out in their house when if they would have had a responsibility fund, they could have just paid for it. So there's nothing wrong with that. Glory. But verse 19, I will say to my soul, soul, you have much goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry. The spirit of poverty wants a person to think money is the answer. See, I don't have any worries because I got plenty of money. So now that I have what I think is enough, I can be at ease. I have plenty of money. And I'm going to keep all that I have for myself. Never buy the lie that money is security. Security can only be found in the plan of God. I'm not erring on the other side here. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't, again, that you shouldn't do what you need to do with your finances. But it's not security. Security is only found in the plan of God. And doing what God has asked you to do, doing things God's way. Hallelujah. In verse 21, notice what it says. Because you remember God said to him in verse 20, uh, this night your soul's required of you, then who shall those things be that you have provided? So is he that lays up treasure for himself and is not rich towards God. Now you see why you got to read all those verses together? Because people, even in our circles, they pull that one verse out of its setting. See, this is how it is when you're uh rich towards yourself and not rich towards God, and they leave it there. And they leave out the man's entire attitude. What was his attitude? I'm gonna pull down the barns, I'm gonna build bigger barns, I'm gonna fill them. Nothing wrong with that. But then he said, and I'm gonna say, take your ease. You got plenty. Eat, drink, and be merry. What's the problem? His security is found in his finances. Hallelujah. Amen. Why do we need to know about finances? What did Jesus say? He told a parable. Remember what he said? He said there was a certain steward that cooked his master's books, embezzled money, and the master called him on the carpet and said, Look, I found out you've been cooking the books. You got to pay all this back. And you remember what the man did? He said, I'm I'm I'm too old to dig ditches. What am I gonna do? He said, Here's what I'm gonna do. And he went out to each of his master's creditors and he said, How much do you owe my master? A hundred, whatever. He said, Sit down and write fifty. And he did that to all of his creditors. Now listen, the Lord, our Lord, did not commend this man. He's called the unjust steward. His Lord, a temporal man, commended him. Why? Because of his wisdom. And what did Jesus say? The children of this world are wiser in their system than we are in ours. What did he say about unrighteous mammon? Flee from it, right? Don't have anything to do with it. No, he said this. He said, make friends with unrighteous mammon. Why? Because he said there are going to be lean days, and your knowledge of unrighteous mammon is going to determine whether you make it or not. Hallelujah. Do you see that? Glory to God. And so this man got this all backwards. He said, Here's, I got security now. I got plenty of money. And what did the Lord say to him? Look, you don't even know you're you have so little security, regardless of how much money you have, you're gonna die tonight, and you think you're good. You know, God didn't kill him. He just you think you're secure and you're gonna die. You're not secure. Why? But why is this important? Laying up treasure's not the problem. Not being rich towards God is the problem. All throughout this, you see, what am I gonna do with my goods and my riches? And here's what I'll do: I'll pull down my barns and I'll build bigger barns so that I can bestow my riches. There was never any thought. There was never any uh contemplation of doing something for God, of saying, God, you did all this for me. You blessed me, you gave me this abundance. Not being rich towards God. God is your security. Money is the tool that I am allowed to use on this earth to facilitate what God wants me to do, but God is my source. Hallelujah. The spirit of poverty says more is the answer. That's why you've got to spend time changing your thinking about finances, and then when more comes, you'll utilize it correctly. The Lord's been saying to me for a number of years now about abundance coming, and he keeps saying, just be prepared to channel it, channel it where it needs to go. See, the whole problem here is that this man was trusting in what he can do and in what he could produce. Amen. I remember, and this again was in the early days of the ministry, many, many, many years ago, 25, probably 25 plus years ago, and I had a couple guys that that came to the meeting. Now they had lived in sin, and because they had lived in sin, they had squandered their finances, but they boy, they got a hold of the things of God, and they had a roofing company and a home remodeling company. And they got a hold of the things of God, really got involved in the plan of God and got a hold of the things of God. And I mean, God started blessing them left and right, blessing them, just hand over fist, blessing them. And uh they had nothing when they began serving the Lord. God began to bless them. And I've told this story before, but it's so important to reiterate. And then, you know, you started not seeing them on Wednesday. Hey, brother, I missed you on Wednesday. Yeah, I know I got this going on. We got this job, and we got this, we got that, and we got the other. Oh, okay, all right. And then, you know, you'd you'd go and then you wouldn't see, and then finally they weren't coming on Wednesday at all. Then here and there, Sunday night. Man, I missed you on Sunday night. Ah, yeah, I know. You know, uh, we've been working so hard through the week, you know, we needed a rest. You know, came to church on Sunday morning, needed a rest. Then they're not coming at all on Sunday night. Still going at it, hand over fist, right? But now all of a sudden, it's not so important that I'm rich towards God. Why? Because all my needs are met. I got plenty. See, the spirit of poverty says, look around you. You don't have you, your needs are met, you're out of debt. Don't you don't have to push. Hallelujah. And they started going after more money and more business. You know, last I heard, they had lost their families, lost their business. One of them has been married two or three times since then. Now listen to me. Not because they left my church, not because they left this church, they left the plan of God. They came with nothing and God gave them everything. And they failed to be rich towards God. Amen. In 1 Timothy 6. 1 Timothy 6 very often is overlooked when people deal with financial prosperity, if that's what you want to call it. We dealt with some of it this morning. But 1 Timothy 6, we dealt with verse 4 through 10 this morning in verse 17 of 1 Timothy 6. Paul said, charge them that are rich in this world, that they give away all their money and don't hold on to any of it. Is that right? Oh no, that's not right. It says, charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not high-minded, trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God that gives us richly all things to enjoy, that they do good, that they be rich in good works. Understand something. If a person is not doing good and being rich in good works with the minimal they have right now, don't fool yourself into thinking that they'll do it when they get a lot. They will not. If you won't be rich in good works and give and help people when you're making minimum wage, you're not gonna do it when you're owning the company. Because that's your thinking. Hallelujah. Well, I'll give when I get more. No, they won't. Because if they're not giving now, they're not gonna give when they get more. If you're not generous when you don't have very much, you're if you're stingy when you don't have very much, you're gonna be stingy when you've got a lot. Because generosity is a heart condition. Hallelujah. Do you see that? Verse 19, willing to communicate, it says in verse 18, willing to give and to share, laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come that they may lay hold on eternal life. Now, so Paul says that riches and being rich are not a problem for him. It's not what he said. He said, charge them that are rich. He didn't say there was a problem there. Well, what did he say? He said the problem areas are pride. Being high-minded. What did he say? He said, charge them that are rich in this world that they are not high-minded. They're not haughty. Now, you know, you might sit here tonight and think, well, my goodness, I would, I would, I would never do that. I understand. Maybe you wouldn't, but there's a reason that we're cautioned. Because it's a possibility. Think about this. Why, why does now no nobody in this room, you understand? But that person, you know this person. I know you know this person. Ladies. Why is it that it's always that person that you know that when they buy a new coach bag, they always make sure that they does anybody, ladies, does anybody know that lady? You're not gonna raise your hands, cowards. Thank you for raising your hands. What why are they doing that? They want you to see that they have a coach bag. Why do they want you to see that they have a coach bag? They're high-minded. What do they think prosperity is? That bag. Is that right? Is it? No. Because you don't have to have money to buy that bag. You understand what I mean by that? You got to use money, but you don't have to have money. Why do you think people buy knockoffs and want to act like you don't know it's a knockoff? When I was in Ecuador, it was so bright there. You know, Ecuador is uh uh right on the equator, and it's it's so it's so close to the sun. All right, it's it's it's Quito and Ecuador right there. It's one of the highest places on earth. And uh so you need sunglasses. So we were we were at some of these this place, I forget where it was, and uh there's a guy selling sunglasses. Well, I mean, you can buy sunglasses for cheap. And and I went over there, I and and I don't do knockoffs, I don't, right? I mean, they think they're fooling you, you're not fooling me. I'll tell you why he wasn't fooling me. Because he had a pair there and he said, These are oakleys. I'm like, okay, how much are your oakies? It is maybe five bucks in our money. I forget. But here's what it said: Oaky. Oaky. O-A-K-I-E, Oki. And I said, Give me some of them oakies. And so he he gave my put them on. I started saying, I'm an Oki from Muskogee. And he put them on. He goes, Oh, Oki look good on you. Yeah. Well, I never went to anybody and said, Look at these Oakleys I have. It said Oki. Right? But why do they think that way? That's haughty. I said, That's haughty. All of us guys, we know that guy that he wants to make sure we know that his car is newer than our car. Right? And when they get an upgrade, they make sure they come to your house and rattle the pipes in your driveway. Right? Why? Haughty. He said, charge them not to be that way. Amen. This is important. Is there anything wrong with wearing carrying a designer bag? Nothing. If your attitude's right. But the the the mindset, the attitude, has to be now. Now I know this is like elementary stuff, but it's listen, it's not can you afford it? It's do you really need to buy it? Well, I got the money in my pocket. Well, I understand, but is that what you need to do? Right? I mean, who really cares if you're carrying a Louis Vuitton bag? Who really cares? I just want you to know, I really I don't care. Well, this is Louis. I yeah. This is cheapy, and it works just the same way. Louis meet cheapy. Hallelujah. Now, now now so what I'm saying is is it's okay it's okay to carry a Louis Vuitton bag. It's it's okay. But here's the thing, here's the thing to to to to make sure you realize in your life don't be impressed by it and don't think it impresses other people. That's haughty. If you are content in the house you have, don't worry about what anybody thinks about it. They don't have to live there. Let me move on. So don't be high-minded. And then he said, What? Don't trust in riches. Now, most people that you know, they would say, Well, I don't trust in riches. Then why is money such a big deal? Why does it have such a hold on them? Why can a tight time produce so much pressure? Why do they get anxious about it? They're trusting in it. Yeah, but you know, if I don't have this by this time, now wait a minute. If we're now, you understand what I'm saying? I understand there's things you got to do, and you gotta do things and pay things on a certain time. But here's the thing: if I'm not trusting in money, if I'm trusting in the living God and and and I'm sowing, I'm being generous, I'm believing God, he knows what's coming, he knows what I need. That's why he said, look at the birds. Right? Everything I need, everything I need, my father has it. My father has it. Every single time the Lord will provide. My father has it. Hallelujah. He gives us blessing up on blessings. Amen. I know my God's not empty-handed. Hallelujah. Do you see this? And so I'm trusting in him and not in the riches. Now, don't take that where some people take it too far. Yeah, I don't want, I don't need money. Yes, you do. Money's a form of commerce, and you need it. But I'm not going to trust in it. Because it's a form of commerce, it's not the answer. Amen. Woo, glory. Because verse 17, notice what it says. Charge them that are riches in this world. They're not high-minded or trust in what? Uncertain riches. So the riches of which the kingdom is not the source. The believers' riches are certain. And that's not streets of gold, gates of pearl. Street by and by pie in the sky. It's certain. True trust means that their hope is in their riches. And in this world system. Have you ever wondered why the enemy tries to strangle people's finances? It's not just to slow them down and make life hard on them. It's to get them going after something that's not the source. Money slows down, they just go after more money. Most people struggle financially because they're not doing what God wants them to do. Don't tell me God told you to take a job and you're struggling. God didn't tell you to take a job so you could struggle. Well, God told me to start this business. Not if you're struggling, he didn't. Because God doesn't set you up to struggle. Well, I know God said, okay. Then you just keep right on struggling, saying, God said, tell me how that's going to work out for you in six months. Because it's not going to work out. Because God does not put you in a position where you just continually dig yourself a hole deeper and deeper and deeper and deeper, and it doesn't seem like there's any way out. Now I know that sounds hard, but listen, I'm like the doctor that doesn't seem to have a very good bedside manner. We got things going on, we got to deal with it. We got to deal with it, get it out of there. Right? Got to stop this right now. I gotta reverse course. I gotta change my thinking. I gotta understand that there is literally a spirit of poverty that's trying to crush the life out of me and my family, and there's something that I've got to do about it. Amen. God said, He keeps saying to me that you gotta, you gotta, when he starts dealing with you, it's gotta be, okay, when do I do it? How do I do it? And where do I do it? Hallelujah. Trust in uncertain riches. In Mark chapter 10. Mark chapter 10. And verse 23. And you'll remember that this is when Jesus had dealt with the man we refer to as the rich young ruler. And verse 23 it says, Jesus looked around about and said to his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God? The operating system of the kingdom. And the disciples were astonished at his words, but Jesus answered again and said unto them, children, how hard it is for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. Now remember the context of this rich man is he's trusting his riches. What did Paul say? Charge them that they don't trust in their riches. He didn't say don't have them. He didn't say they're a problem. He said don't trust in them. Trust means to obey, to yield to or to comply with. Jesus said in the Philips translation, children, you do not know how hard it can be. So he looked at the disciples and he said, You have no idea how hard it can be for a person that trusts in riches to enter into the kingdom of God's system. He said, It's like the Greek says, in many instances, trying to pull a cable through the eye of a needle. I know Jesus said camel, but many say that that word should be cable. Well, either way, trying to put a camel through the eye of a needle or a cable through the eye of a needle. It's impossible. Can't happen. That's why the spirit of poverty pushes you to trust in money, to trust in riches. Because when you do that, you cannot enter into the kingdom of God's system. And see, that's why the Bible's a financial handbook. What does it say? It's what does it say? What does it say? It says this labor not to be rich. In other words, that's not your source. We've said this for years, and I know we hear it, and we're like, yeah, that's right. Every time I go to my job and I work, I'm getting seed to sow. That's not my source. That's not what I trust in. And people will say that, but then right on the other hand, they'll say, but you don't understand. I don't make very much. I thought it wasn't your source. If it's not my source, then why am I making decisions about what I can give or so based on what I make? I'm not saying to be foolish with your money, but what I'm saying is that at what point do we say, okay, my trust is in God and his wealth and not what I can produce? Hallelujah. He said, You have no idea how hard that can be. The core, look, notice verse 28. Peter began to say, Lo, we've left all and followed you. And Jesus answered, and you know the verse, there's no man that's left father, brother, sisters, father, house, mother, wife, children, lands for my sake and the gospels, but he will receive a hundredfold now in this time. Houses, brethren, sisters, mothers, children, lands, persecutions, and in the world to come, eternal life. In the world to come. So the core of the hundredfold return is a refusal to trust in riches. That's the core. Hallelujah. You know, there are people who give and still trust in riches. Just because I give is no indication that I don't trust in riches. I can give and still trust in money. In 1 Timothy 6 and verse 17. See, when bondage starts being broken, it can be uncomfortable. Because something's breaking off my life. I'll be real honest with you. When the Lord started telling me these things and sharing these principles with me, you know, I there there's nobody that feels any more, I don't want to say this, I don't want to say unqualified, but how come you choosing me? I know what people think about me. I don't care, but I know. You understand? And and here, understand what I what I mean by that. Because people, listen, if if somebody was talking about an individual and they say, yeah, they're rich. They got all they need. What? What are you talking about? I know where they live. Talking about they have all they need. I know what kind of house they live in. Well, what does that mean? What does that have to do with anything? See, they're judging how well off you are by where you live. Now they're wondering how they're gonna pay the light bill. And you got four or five accounts set up for your future, and you're worth something, right? But they're making the decision based on where you live. Now I say that to say this. So people will always make that kind of decision. And people look at the scope, whatever you think the scope of the ministry is, and they think, oh yeah, you know, they're here and they're they're doing this and they're doing that. Well, they don't know what we're doing, they have no idea, they have no concept about the inner workings of the ministry. No concept at all. That's why I say I don't care. It don't matter to me what people think. The best of the best, the greatest in the kingdom of God, have stood in this pulpit and ministered the word of God. Amen. And they still do, they still will, they still are, right? It doesn't bother me. Because here's what I want you to understand. That does not impress me. Big churches don't impress me. All these preachers that have their TikTok and their whatever it is, pickpock or whatever, right? And and and and they're TikToking and and they're showing their new Louis Vuitton, and they got Louis Vuitton boots and pants and and jacket. I'm not impressed, Slick. Because that don't mean anything. That don't mean anything. How is that helping anybody? They're just looking at what you have and they want Louis. I don't want you to wear Louis. That's not why I'm teaching you this. The spirit of poverty doesn't care if you wear Louis, it just doesn't want you to have any lasting riches. It doesn't want you to tap into the source that cannot run dry. Hallelujah. Think about this. When you do what the Bible says with your money, if you want to buy a Louis Vuitton bag, you go right ahead and you buy it. But it's not taking anything away from my family, it's not taking anything away from my future. It was cold, hard cash in my pocket that wasn't needed for anything. Are you following me? This is important. Because there are people that that give and trust in riches. That's why, if you're content, how many, now I'm not asking, I'm not asking for a show of hands inwardly. You you just decide, are you content with your house? Inwardly, are you content? Then don't worry about it. Why do you need another one? Did the Lord tell you? If he did, go after it. If he didn't, it's okay if you go after another one. He's not, I mean, right? But why? Always ask yourself why. Why does it matter to me what people think about what I drive, or where I live, or what I wear? You know, I've never walked up to Brother Kevin and said, boy, that's a sharp jacket. What's the brand on that? I've never done that. Number one, it's none of my business. Number two, why does it matter? I say, why does it matter? What if I pull back that lapel and it says Hugo boss?
SPEAKER_00: Ooh.
SPEAKER_01: Ooh. Oh, he's well off. He's wearing a boss jacket. What if I pull it back and it says Walmart? George. Who is George? Do you know people that think that way? You know people that think that way. And what would they think? They would think if that said Hugo Boss, they would think he's so prosperous. But if it said George, we need to pray for him. He needs help. I'm serious. They think that that is prosperity. I know people that have name brand stuff hanging in their closet and they don't have money. They can't get involved in the things of God. Because when they get a little extra cash, they buy a new pair of shoes, a new suit, a new whatever, and there's nothing wrong with buying any of that. But understand, when you think that's what makes you look prosperous, that's the spirit of poverty. It's crushing them. Their money never has a chance to expand and grow because it's always spent before it's planted. Hallelujah. Do you see this? That's why you need to think about everything. Why do I want that? Why do I feel like I need that? Why do I think that's going to make things better? And that's why I take issues sometimes with ministers that are preaching and they're so quick to tell you about all the stuff they, the Louis Vuitton stuff they have, and Louis Vuitton socks and underwear and whatever else. There's nothing wrong with Louis. But it gives people the impression that if you can wear Louis, you've made it. And it becomes like the young man that I sat next to at Rayma camp meeting that had all the fake gold on. You know, fake gold, you know how you can tell fake gold, right? It's chipping. He had bracelets and rings and and you know, everything. And he looked at me and I was there. I wasn't preaching, I was on vacation, going to camp meeting over vacation, sitting in the minister section. I think I either had a polo on or a button-down shirt, I forget, and some khakis. What are you wearing? Khakis. Anyway. What was that guy's name? George or whatever it was. Who?
unknown: Jake from State Farm.
SPEAKER_01: Who?
unknown: Jake, Jake from Jim.
SPEAKER_01: Jake, yeah. What are you wearing, Jake from State Farm? Oh, khakis. That always cracked me up. You don't know that, do you? Yeah, I see. She's looking at me like YouTube, YouTube, Jake from State Farm. Okay. Anyway, I I had my khakis on, and he looked at me and he looked at me up and down. And he looked at me and said, I believe in prosperity. Yeah, praise God. I said, Well, good. I'm praise the Lord. Right? That's how many people do. This is so important. I hope you're getting what I'm trying to get across to you tonight. Because if if my thinking changes about money, when money comes, it doesn't just run through my fingers. It accomplishes something. You know, we've taught over the years and said over the years, you know, wouldn't it be great if, you know, uh we have a uh$50,000 project in the church and and you know, within 10 minutes, you know, you got four or five people stand up and say, I'll give 10,000, I'll give 10, and and in five minutes we got it taken care of. That doesn't happen if my thinking doesn't change. Because if I if if the spirit of poverty will push you to become so overburdened financially that you cannot invest in the kingdom of God the way that you should. Or the way that you could. Hallelujah. Because it's that that crushing spirit. First Timothy 6, and we read this. We read, charge them that are rich in this world that they don't trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God that gives us richly all things to enjoy. So the issue is trust. What and who you trust will decide your level of success. And remember that your relationships are your ceiling. Your relationships are your ceiling. The Bible says in the book of Proverbs, if you want to be wise, walk with wise men. I am the average of the five people that I hang out with the most. And so I don't want to just be hanging out with people that think wrong about money. I don't want to hang out with people that think more money is the answer. I don't want to hang out with people that think not having money is the answer because I'll be the average. I'll sort of think money's the answer and sort of think money's not the answer. Amen. So the issue is trust. The RSV says, who richly furnishes us with everything to enjoy? The Williams translation says, who richly and ceaselessly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Another translation says, who gives us in full measure all things for our use. So notice, God wants you to have these things for what? Your enjoyment. He wants you to have them for your use. He's not withholding. But I got to think about it right. I can't, I gotta be rich towards God. I can't trust in uncertain riches. The spirit of poverty is defeated through trust in God and his system. Trust in God and his system. So that's why he said, remember, we went through these things this morning to defeat the spirit of poverty. Number one, declare that your family and your ministry are thriving. You're declaring that over your family every day. We are thriving in the name of Jesus. Can I say one other thing to you, real quick? You got time? I want to get I don't want to keep you late, but we we need to see this. The spirit of poverty works very hard to make your assets feel like liabilities. All right? I know people that every time they talk about their house, all they do is talk about what has to be fixed. Everything that needs to be repaired, everything that needs to be done. And that they can't even sit out on their porch or on their front deck without thinking about everything that's got to be done on their house. They can't even enjoy it. I was sitting out on my deck and and and in our deck, we have uh uh where where we're at there in Maul Mel, we have evening shade. Right? And and I like evening shade. And uh, but but but it's evening shade out front. So it comes over the the back of the house, and and in the evening, you got the the sun back there on the deck, and we got some you know, deals, blinds that we let down, and and we can keep the sun out. But here's my point. And it's beautiful because we got this whole wooded area behind our house, and and the sun's coming through those leaves, it's just gorgeous. I mean, it's yeah, I took a picture of it one time and and sent it to some people. I was on this, I had this health uh app and and I posted that picture, you know, just relaxing. And there were people like, oh, where is this at? And I'm like, Arkansas. Anyway, the the point that I'm making, I was sitting back there one day and it's just so nice, and and the breeze is blowing, and I and I caught myself looking at the gutters. I'm sitting there very comfortable looking at the gutters, and oh man, the that board's cracked. And and before you know it, I'm I'm thinking, oh man, I got I gotta go and make a list, and I gotta this and I gotta that. And the Lord said to me, He said, You can't even enjoy what I've given you for thinking about taking care of it. He said, I told you when you bought this house that what I give you, I'll supply. I don't sit on the deck anymore and think about what I gotta take care of. Now you need to take care of it, but it's an asset, it's not a liability. If you keep thinking about it as a liability, you'll destroy it. If you own a home in here in the natural, that's your single greatest lie uh asset. Single greatest asset. Out of anything you have, it's your single greatest asset. Why? Because it either holds equity or doesn't hold equity. You can improve it and improve the equity. You can sell the house for more than you bought it for. Bank the money, invest the money, do whatever you want to do. If you don't want to sell the house, you don't have to sell the house. But what does the spirit of poverty do? Tries to make you look at it as a liability. And if I'm not where God told me to be, it can be a liability, a very big liability. That's why I tell you, don't get in a hurry. So what if you are leasing? What if you are renting? Is God dealing with you to go get a house? Has he showed you where your house is? Has he pointed it out to you? Then why are you trying to get out of where God has you? This is important. See, I got to think about these things. Do you have a 15 or 20% down payment saved? Can you qualify for a 15-year fixed mortgage loan? You got to make these decisions. I got to think about it. Because when God says go do this, can I share a story with you? We were living in Little Rocky. You've got to understand something. I've never been opposed to leasing and renting, and I know that there are people that are, and I understand that long-term is probably not a good investment because you're not getting a return on your money. But, you know, with especially with my lifestyle, especially then, when I was, I mean, every other week I was back in two. I didn't need a yard to mow. I didn't need a house to maintenance. Right? So we had a very nice, very nice apartment, brand new apartment off of Chenal there in Little Rock. Beautiful place. I mean, Starbucks in the foyer, you know. I mean, didn't have to go down uh down the road. Just get on the elevator and give me my four bucks. It's five bucks now. Anyway, right? God started, God, everybody say God. God started dealing with us that it was time to buy a home. Time to buy a house. Amen. So we started asking him, where is it? We'd go out and look. Now, Lord, where is it? Couldn't find anything in an area that we thought might be it. Lord, where is it? Right? And and this this word kept coming up, Ma Mel. Now I'm not from Little Rock. I'm not from Arkansas. I've lived there now a number of years. But so I don't know. I don't know a lot about where Mail is. Well, Mail's right across the bridge, about eight miles from Little Rock. And so that's what he kept doing. So we told our literature, we said, expand the search into Maw Mel. He found two houses. Well, the first one was a solid no, all right. And then the second one was the one we eventually bought. We pulled into our neighborhood, and it's a very quiet neighborhood. It's on cul-de-sac on both ends. All right. So very nice. And we went up the cul-de-sac and pulled around and came down. It sits on a hill, and we stopped in front of that house, and I put my car in park. I had that little Lincoln that I had then, put the car in park, and right here, and I said it out of my mouth. I said, That's our house. That's our house. You know, if God hadn't told me to start looking, I'd still be living in that apartment. Because I'm not going to go do something just because that's what people think you need to do. Amen. Well, guess what? There was a couple living in that house that had a young child the same age as our child. They'd been through the same process that we had been through. Right? They're going to move to Fayetteville. They're going to move up to northwest Arkansas. They want to sell the house. They appreciated the fact that we were dealing with the same kind of scenario that they had dealt with, and they had three different people that qualified for that house, and they chose us. Hallelujah. And we got it locked in for life at 3% interest, 3% interest. Right. When did God tell you? Where did God tell you to go? How did God tell you to do it? If you haven't heard from God, be content. I just hate leasing. I just hate renting. Why? Why is it such a big problem? Get content. When you get content, the spirit of poverty is put out of the room. Long as I'm driving, it will drive you. And remember what I said this morning, what I said this morning. God never drives you. He leads you. If I'm being driven, you got to do this, and you got to do this, and you got to do this. And you need a house and you need a this and you need a that. I just need to do what God said. Hallelujah. So you declare that you, your family, and your ministry are thriving every day. We're thriving. Just if if if if you let's just use the house. I want us to say something here. Just say this out loud. Say, Father, you know where the house that you want me to have is. When it's time for me to get into that house, you tell me, you show me, and you lead me. Now leave that said. And don't allow discontentment to cause you to violate what you just declared to God. That's how it's going to be. Amen. Because isn't it funny that you're perfectly satisfied where you are, and then all of a sudden this unrest started coming. And it and it's almost like torment. Well, the Bible says that God doesn't torment. It says the spirit of fear torments. It'll be alright. Number two, declare, or number one, declare that you and your family and ministry are thriving. Number two, sow consistently. Your seed is evidence of your authority and ownership. Number four, bind the plans of the enemy in the financial realm. Bind the plans of the enemy in the financial realm. And then, lastly, loose the life of God into your finances. Bind the spirit of poverty so it has no operation in your financial affairs. Hallelujah. Yes, I can. Loose the life of God into your finances and bind the spirit of poverty so that it has no operation in your financial affairs. Hallelujah. And the Lord said something to me. I'll say this as we're closing. He said to me, He said, every time thoughts that you're not going to make it, that you're going to fail, that there's not going to be enough, he said, every time those thoughts come, he said, that that's the spirit of poverty speaking. And you got to reject it, resist it, and renounce it. Hallelujah. See, because if I'm doing something that's making it difficult for me to be successful, God will show me if I'm open. He won't beat me up about it. He won't make me feel bad. He won't put pressure on me. He'll show me the way out. The spirit of poverty comes and says, You're not going to make it. Now, this might not be for everybody. If it's not, don't take it. But it's good to take it anyway. You know, everybody doesn't need extra B12, but it won't hurt you. Amen. I'm telling you, your children will never go without what they need. They'll always be fully supplied. They'll never know lack. Say it out loud. My children will never know lack. That settles that. What's the spirit of poverty want? You're not going to make it. What if you can't do this? What if you can't buy your children this? What if you can't this? You know, you want to make sure that they have everything they need. And why can't you this? And why, right? No, no, no, that's never going to happen. Why? Psalm 69. I've never seen the righteous forsaken or his seed begging bread. And what did he say before that? I've been poor, I've been young, and now I'm old. And here's one thing I've never seen. Never will see it. Oh, hallelujah. So we're going to push back against that. Every chance we get, every opportunity that we get. This is important. Why God's getting us ready for something. There's abundance coming, but there's challenges coming. And he's getting us ready for it. I say he's getting us ready for it. Glory to God. Hallelujah. I know I gotta be done, but listen, I remember when the spirit of poverty broke off my life. I was at the grocery store, and uh I'd not even I didn't even really need to go to the grocery store. I had an appointment that I'd been to, and the grocery store that I was driving by had a Starbucks in it, and so I thought I'll I'll stop in and get a Starbucks and a snack. Because here's what had happened. I I had a doctor's appointment for my physical. And um uh, you know, you you gotta have blood work so you can't eat or drink.
unknown: Right?
SPEAKER_01: Well, my doctor's appointment was not until like uh 11 o'clock. And so I hadn't eaten all day, so I thought I'll get me, you know, a coffee and a s and a snack, and then I'll go do whatever else I gotta do. I wasn't expecting this no more than a man in the moon. I wasn't expecting it. And I and I went and and got what I needed and and got from the store, and I and I came out and I opened my car door, and I just I just put my right foot in the car and and and put it on the floorboard, and right here, just right here, it felt like something snapped. And I knew it was spiritual. So I got in the car and I sat there and I said, Lord, what was that? I said, because that wasn't that wasn't just a feeling. He said, that was a spirit of poverty breaking off your life. And he said, it'll never return. You know, as Christians, we don't like to think about things like that. But what's happening in all these services is it's breaking. An enemy exposed is an enemy defeated. And it cannot stay. I say it cannot stay. What is telling you that you're too late, and boy, you've messed up, and you didn't do what you should have done, that's the spirit of poverty. God will tell you, but you can start right now, and I can multiply what you're doing, and I can catch you up. Either he can do it or he can't. But he can. Hallelujah. I want you to do something. Now, if you don't want to do it, you don't have to do it. But I want you to close your eyes. And uh I want you to just well, look at me first, and then we'll close our eyes. Here's what I want you to do. In a moment, we're gonna just talk about how free we are. But here's what I want you to do. I want you to talk about how free you are while you're doing this. You ready? Say it out loud. I'm free. I'm free from the spirit of poverty, I'm free from the spirit of lack, I'm free from not enough. Those chains are off my life, they are broken in Jesus' name. I am free in the name of Jesus. Oh, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah. Now, I'm not gonna ask, but I know there are people in this room that you you physically felt the change in your life while you were doing that. Don't ever go back. I don't care if you reach in your pocket and the only thing you feel is your leg. Don't you ever go back to that way of thinking? Don't go back to that way of thinking. When you go home tonight and you pull in the driveway, I don't care if you're pulling into a rental house or a house you own. You thank God for it. You glorify God for it. Thank you, Lord, that we have a roof over our head. Thank you that we have a place to stay. We're warm, we're dry, we got food in the cabinet, we're blessed in the name of Jesus. What happens? The spirit of poverty scampers off down the road. But the minute you start complaining, it's like you going, he turns around and comes back. Oh, hallelujah! Well, I could give you uh uh intermission, we could start all over again, but we better go home. Hallelujah. Because there's so much there, there's so much there. I expect we already had uh reports today. One report, car paid off. Amen. Another report this morning, Julie was telling me this morning, they paid off student loan debt. $50,000 paid it off. Amen. God brought the money. That's what she said. God made a way, paid it off. Amen. Other people talking about debts being paid off and things being cut down. Listen, this is not a game, this is not a fairy tale. God does these things, and He wants to do it for all of us. And what you've been sowing your seed for, what you've been sowing for. The harvest is coming up for exactly what you've been sowing for. It's coming up for exactly what you've been sowing for, and it shall be more than enough, and it shall be multiplied in its return, and it shall produce the exact thing that you're believing for. Don't be weary in well-doing, do not back off, do not slow down, continue your faith, keep it in gear, because it's working, and it shall accomplish much in your life in the name of Jesus. Hallelujah. Hallelujah, hallelujah. You know, for many of you, the slowdown is coming, and here's what I mean by that. It seems like that right now life's just moving at a breakneck speed, it's gonna slow down, and you're gonna get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. You're gonna get to enjoy it, just hold on a little while longer. I'm telling you, you do whatever you want to with what I'm telling you. The next two months, just hold on, it's gonna slow down. Gonna slow down. Hallelujah. Let's stand up tonight, shall we? I hope you received tonight. Glory to God. I did. I got just what I came for. Hallelujah.