SPEAKER_02: 2 Chronicles chapter 26. And also, would you pick up the book of Acts chapter 1? Acts chapter 1 and 2 Chronicles 26, please. It's nice to have a Bible, isn't it? 2 Chronicles 26 and Acts chapter 1. In 2 Chronicles chapter 26, I want to highlight a man's life, and I want to show you two words that I hope in just a few moments from now they'll they'll take on a different connotation. In 2 Chronicles 26, it talks about, if you would, Uzziah, who was, if you would, in verse 1, that all the people of Judah took Uzziah, who was how old? Sixteen years old, and made him king in the room of his father. Now the Bible says in 2 Chronicles 26 and verse 3, 16 years old was Uzziah when he began to reign, and he reigned 50 and 10. In fact, you read your Bible through and you'll find out this is one of the longest reigns, if you would, rulerships in the whole Bible. Fifty-two years he's ruling, if you would. And I know I want you to notice verse 7. Verse 7. Now talk to me a little bit this morning. And God what? Helped him. Say it again. What did God do? He helped him against the Philistines and against the Arabians and on down, verse 9. Uzziah built towers. Uh he dig many wells in verse 10. He had much cattle. Um he had uh vine dressers in the mountains, uh, and he loved husbandry, if you would. Uh he was somewhat of a gardener, amen. And if you would look at verse 14, verse 14. And Uzziah prepared for them throughout all the host shields and spears and helmets, habergens, and bows and slings to cast stone. And he made in Jerusalem engines. If you understand what an engine, you ever see in those uh old movies where they got that thing that bends back like this, and they put a big rock in it and they toss it out, and he made all kinds of inventions, if you would, at that day and age. He made in Jerusalem inventions, uh, or engines invented by cunning men to be on the towers and upon the bulwarks to shoot arrows and great stones withal. And his name spread abroad. For he was, would you say the next two words? Marvelously helped. Say it again, please. Marvelously help till he was strong. Let me ask you a question. Who marvelously helped him? God did. Look in verse 7. Verse 7. And God what? Helped him. God helped him, but not only did he help him in verse 15, he marvelously helped him. Now, you say, man, I've used the word marvelous before. And you know, we uh I remember when we would grow up in a kid, you know, Hollywood always used that word marvelous and marvelous, you know, and and I see our sometimes our kids say marvelous or or something like that. But you know, the word marvelous has some interesting connotations. Not only did God help him, but he he marvelously helped him. And when you think about marvel, you would say something like this uh a wonder or an event that you look at and you stand astonished. The Bible or the dictionary says it causes one to pause. It's one of those events maybe that just leaves you somewhat speechless. Have you ever heard God do something like that for you? And I'm not saying, well, you know, on national television it would be known, and you know, we'd broadcast about it. But maybe personally, in your own life, have you ever seen God marvelously help you to where you just stood? Wow. You may say, I don't, I don't know if I ever had that happen to me before. You know, sometimes God can marvelously help us and we don't see it. God sometimes can be working in situations and and he helps us, and we just we just pass it on by. But I'll tell you what, when it's marvelous, it's different. Look at 1 Chronicles 16 and Acts chapter 1. Stay with me. 1 Chronicles 16 and Acts chapter 1. Let me give you an illustration of what marvelous is. A marvelous demonstration of God's power. Acts chapter 1 and 1 Chronicles, not Corinthians, 1 Chronicles 16. In Acts chapter 1, brethren, look at verse number 9, while you're holding your place in 1 Chronicles 16. In Acts chapter 1, verse 9, and when he had spoken these things, what things? That verse 8, they should receive power after the Holy Ghost has come upon you. This is Jesus speaking in verse 9. And after he had spoken those things, while they beheld, while they were looking right at him, he was what? Taken up. That was a marvelous thing. That was something that kind of took your breath away. That was a, if you would, if you look in the dictionary about the word marvel, it's an act or a wonder that is associated with a degree of surprise. They didn't expect it. I mean, here they were listening to him, and all of a sudden he was taken up. And a cloud received him out of their sight. Come on, what do you mean, taken up? What's the spiritual meaning of that? What does that mean in the Greek? It means he began to rise above gravity and went straight up. Now we look at that and say, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. How would you like to have been standing there and you're just, he's just talking to you, and all of a sudden he stops and up he goes. What would you do? You would do just what they do. That's what they did. Verse 10. And while they looked how? Steadfastly. They weren't taking their eyes off of that heaven. Towards heaven, as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye what? Gazing? Well, because they were awestruck. They were astonished, they were surprised. They say, Why are y'all gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus was which is taken from you into heaven, shall so come, and then don't forget these next three words, in like manner. By the way, you you know what that means. It'll surprise all of us. As you have seen him go up into heaven, please look up here. It was a marvelous work. They were sitting there talking to him, and all of a sudden, up he goes, like, surprised? Astonished? Marvel. And then a couple guys in white apparel say, Hey, what are you guys standing up there looking up there? That's the same Jesus. He'll come back and like man. That's marvelous. Astonishing. Uh incredible. Look at 1 Chronicles 16 and Psalm 78, please. 1 Chronicles 16 and Psalm 78. Let me ask you a question while you turn there. 1 Chronicles 16 and Psalm 78. Do you believe God can still work marvelously? I want to ask you again. Do you believe that God can still work marvelously? Now, you know what can happen because man has tried to recreate sometimes and even fake that God's working, you know, some of that stuff on TV, brethren, that's termed religious, isn't real. Some of it's just made up. And really what it does, maybe they're sincere, some of them, and I'm not saying all of it's wrong, but some of them maybe they're sincere in their efforts to try to encourage people, if you would, that God is real, but in doing so, they really cheapen what God's able to do. And people look away from that saying and say, what a fake. Every time a preacher on television is is found out to be a fraud, it cheapens God. Well, he did this and a trickster, and he schemed this way, and he did that and all that. But I'm telling you, throw that aside. God can still work marvelously. God can still astonish us. God can still leave us in awe. And not everybody has to see it. As long as we do. I mean, I've had things in my life that I wouldn't I wouldn't tell you about because it wouldn't mean anything to you. If I told you, you would go, well, that's nice. Do you know what I'm saying?
SPEAKER_01: That's nice. That's good.
SPEAKER_02: No, you don't understand. This is what happened.
SPEAKER_01: That's nice, preacher.
SPEAKER_02: It's wonderful. Now, uh, you know, I gotta go up. It's time to eat. No, come back here. It was marvelous. You can't get it across to someone else, what you experienced with God. And it would be a terrible thing to walk through this life and never experience something that God did in a marvelous way. I mean, surprised, uh, uh, astonished to the place where we look at it, we go, unbelievable, incredible. It's hard to fathom that God did that for me. Let me stop right here and say salvation ought to be that way. We ought to look at our salvation and say, amazing, incredible. Wow! And not, oh yeah, I'm saved. It ought to not get to the place where we get so hardened to it that it still doesn't excite us somewhere along the way that the God of heaven drew us in, forgave our sins, and now is our Father. And how he did it. Maybe it was a young child for you, or maybe yours wasn't as sensational and spectacular, but the very fact that he forgave our sins is marvelous. Look what he says in 1 Chronicles 16. 1 Chronicles 16. Give thanks, verse 8. Unto the Lord. Call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people. Sing unto him, sing songs unto him, talk ye of all his wondrous works. Glory ye in his holy name. Let the heart of them rejoice that seek the Lord. Seek the Lord in his strength. Seek his face how? Continually. Remember his what? Marvelous works that he hath done, his wonders and the judgments of his mouth. You know what he says? Give thanks and remember and make known those marvelous works God has done. Verse 23, look at it, brethren. Sing unto the Lord all the earth. Show forth from day to day his salvation. Why? Because it's a marvelous work. Declare his glory among the heathen. His what? Say it. Marvelous works among all nations. For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised. He is also to be feared above all little g gods. I think sometimes the reason Christians grow stale is they don't see God working in their life. Well, Christianity, ho hum. My Christianity so far has never been ho-hum. Now, there's been times when I've been a little bit down, I'm sure, and there's been times when, you know, the excitement wasn't, yeah, I'd sit there and go, yeah, right. Boring? No. All the time marvelous? No. Sometimes it seems like God lets some things in our lives get set up. And it's almost like he's orchestrating some things behind the scenes. Sometimes things deteriorate, or sometimes things get really what we would call tragedy. And what he's doing sometimes is setting us up for a marvelous help. Because if he just went along and everything was just peach keen and nothing bad was happening, and all this was taken care of, and that was taken care of, this over here was taken care of, that was taken care of, that was taken care of. It was just all, we just kind of get, oh hum, oh, it's just God, he always does it. But I think sometimes God withholds it and lets things get into somewhat of a chaotic mess. We get to the end of what we can figure out and what we can do, and then God says, now it's all set up. I got them right where I want them. They're confused, they can't figure it out, they don't know what to do.
SPEAKER_01: Oh, it's gonna be great.
SPEAKER_02: Wait till they see what I do. You say, why would God do that? To build our faith. Why would God do that? To help us to depend on him more? Why would God do that? To help us fall in love with him more. Look, if you would, uh a little bit farther and look at Acts chapter 12. Acts chapter 12. And you're already holding Psalm 78, Acts chapter 12, and Psalm 78. Let me show you another illustration of marvelous in Acts chapter 12. You don't mind studying your Bible, do you? Now you may be sitting there and say, you know what, this Christianity, I just wish I could get into it more. If God did something marvelous in your life, you wouldn't have to try to get into it. You would jump in. The reason I gave up my Marine Corps career, the reason I gave up my business, the reason I gave up my life, I've seen God work marvelously. But I've got to tell you something. I'd like to see more. I don't think that's a wrong desire. I don't think it's a wrong desire to ask God to roll up his sleeves, so to speak, and show us his mighty power. I mean, think what he can do with a finger. They said this is nothing else than the finger of God. With what he can do with a finger, I'd like to see what he can do when he rolls up his sleeves. He's done it in other generations. He can still do it today. And by the way, call it what you want, but I'm not going to be an independent fundamental Baptist that doesn't believe in the miracles of God. Nobody's going to take that away from me. You say, well, I just don't believe God's doing miracles. Believe what you want, buddy. I'm still seeing him do something. Salvation's still a miracle. Well, it depends on how you describe it. Look at Acts chapter 12. Look at verse 5. Peter, therefore, was kept where? In prison. But prayer was made without ceasing of the church and the God for him. And when Herod would have brought him forth the same night, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers. I'd say he's pretty secure, amen. Bound with two chains. And the keepers before the door kept the prison. Now, picture this. He's got two soldiers right next to him. He's got chains on him, and there's keepers at the door that were keeping the prison. I'd say they didn't want him to escape, amen. Are we okay so far? Verse 7. And behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him. And light shined in the prison. And he smote Peter on the side. Kind of like, wake up. And raised him up, saying, Arise up, how? Quickly. And think about this now. He stands up, and his chains fell off from his hands. You know what that is? Marvelous. Surprised, Peter. And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, bind on thy sandals. So he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about thee. They had him naked, evidently, and follow me. Verse 9. Now look at this. And he went out and followed him, and wist not that it was true. Which was done by the angel, but thought he saw a vision. Please look up here. You know what? It's one of these. Is this real? Have you ever had one of those? When they were past the verse 10, first and second ward, I mean, he was he was back in the deep recesses of this prison. They came into the iron gate that leadeth into the city, which opened to them of his own accord. You know what? When we read this, you read this, and you know what we do? That's nice. No, you've got to visualize this thing. You've got to picture this thing. This is better than Maxwell Smart. You know, the door's open. If you're spiritual, you didn't get that. The iron gate, it opens itself up. Verse 10. Which opened to them of his own accord, and they went out and passed on through one street, and forthwith the angel departed from him. Verse 11. And when Peter was what? Come to himself. You know what? He was in the prison, asleep. The angel woke him up, the chains fall off, he gets dressed, and as he's walking out, everything just opens up to him, and the next thing he knows out in the city walking, he kind of. Now maybe you haven't had that yet. But I believe God can still work. How? You say it. How? Marvelously. He said, Now I know of a surety that the Lord, verse 11, hath sent his angel and hath delivered me out of the hand of Aaron. Don't you think that did something for Peter's faith? And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary, the mother of John, whose surname was Mark. Where many were gathered together doing what? Praying. Who were they praying for? Peter. And as Peter knocked at the door of the gate, Dansa came to hearken named Rhoda. And when she knew Peter's voice, she opened not the gate for gladness. But ran in and told how Peter stood before the gate. And they said unto her, Thou art what? You're insane. Can't be Peter. He's in prison. We're praying for him. We're praying that God get him out of prison. But she constantly affirmed that was even so. Then they said, It's his angel. Please look up here. They just couldn't fathom that it could possibly be him because they knew they put Peter way back in the deep recesses. He knew they had him chained up and there were probably guards sitting next to him. There's just no way that he could get out. You're mad, little girl. It's his angel. Quiet. We're praying for Peter. Hey, we laugh. Don't we do that in our prayers? I prayed for something before, and when it happened, I continued praying. Didn't realize that God had already marvelously answered the prayer. I mean, I prayed for something for two months after it already happened, didn't realize it happened. I think God was saying, is he still talking about that thing? Doesn't he know I took care of that already? Is he still talking about that thing? How long is he going to ask me about that thing? Would somebody go down there and show him that I already took care of that? Better yet, I didn't keep praying. Because when he finally realizes that I did it, it'll be more marvelous. Rather, why should we expect just a little bit from God? As I read my Bible, oh, you know what this book contains? Marvelous works. All the way through it is marvelous works. Verse 16. But Peter continued knocking. And when they had opened to the door, when they had opened the door and saw him, they were what? Say it. Astonished. What do you think they did? Their jaw dropped open. It was marvelous. Psalm seventy-eight. Please turn there. And John chapter nine. I won't ask you to turn to any more scripture. Psalm seventy-eight. And John chapter nine. Have you ever had anything that God did that was marvelous? Surprising. Astonishing? Caught you off guard. Knew it was God. Nobody else could have figured it out. Nobody else could have orchestrated it that way. Psalm 78. Or better yet, let me ask you a question. You say, well, I don't know if I have, and yeah, I have. Do you still believe that he's able? In your own personal life? Look at Psalm 78. I said the book is full of his marvelous wonders. Psalm 78, look at verse 12. First two words? Marvelous things. Say it again. Marvelous thing. Hey, you know what? Somebody's going to say to you after church, how was church? And you're going to say, Marvelous. Marvelous things did he in the side of their fathers in the land of Egypt in the field of Zoan. He divided the sea. You know what? That's marvelous. They recreated at Universal Studios. Hey, it's just a recreation. He really did it. Caused them to pass through and he made the waters to stand up as in heat. In the daytime also, he led them with a cloud in the night with the light of fire. That's marvelous things, verse 12. He cleaved the rock in the wilderness and gave them drink out of the great death. That's marvelous things, verse 12. He brought streams out of the rock and caused waters to run down like rivers. That's marvelous things. This whole book is filled with marvelous things. You know why a lot of Christians don't believe that he is able? They don't know the book. If we saturate ourselves in this book and not in TV, we'll believe that God can do some marvelous things. Though he had commanded the clouds from above and opened the door of heaven, and had rained down man upon them to eat. That's marvelous. And have given them the corn of heaven. Man did eat what? Angels' food. Like coriander seeds, it says. He sent them meat to the full. He caused an east wind to blow in the heaven, and by his power he brought in the south wind. He rained flesh also upon them as dust and feathered fowls, like the sand of the sea, and he let it fall in the midst of their camp. You talk about room service. They didn't even know what they were ordering. He just brought it in. Quail under glass. Brought it right to their door, round about their habitations. Sometimes in our prayer life, brethren, we pray. But sometimes we pray complaining. Something like this. Father, uh, you're gonna have to work this out. I don't know what to do. You're gonna have to work this out. And to be honest with you, God, I'm kinda tired of this whole thing. And uh, you know. If you can't work it out, then give me the strength to go through it. If he can't work it out, he's God. He can do anything. Anything. I don't believe anything is too hard for God. I believe right now he could pick this building up and move it if he wanted to. He could do it naturally or supernaturally. I believe if he wanted to right now, naturally, he could have a twister come down and pick this building up and put it somewhere. You could say, oh, that's far-fetched. I don't think so. Not when you read the Old Testament. I think he could do it supernaturally. All he'd have to do is think it, and it was done. And it wouldn't hinge on whether we believe or not. Because he's able whether we believe or not. Say, preacher, this almost sounds like you know, some of those uh preachers that uh, you know, believe and something's good gonna happen to you. Something's good gonna happen to you whether you believe or not. If you're saved, you're going to heaven, and that's good. Amen. Well, I feel like something good is about to happen. We don't need to work that stuff out. Well, I feel like something we don't need all that stuff. All we need to do is read on the Bible and realize he can do marvelous things. We don't have to see somebody frothing at the mouth and rolling around slaying in the spirit. Made for TV? Hey, if they get healed, they shouldn't come have to come back a second. They shouldn't have to go on tour with the evangelist. Hello? And this guy's really able, let's head for the hospitals, amen. I believe God can still heal. I believe God can still show his mighty power, and I believe he does. You gotta be careful where they use makeup, though. Pick up John in chapter nine. I won't ask you to turn to anything more. When I was thinking about this, I thought, you know, this message would be adequate of itself just to read the Bible. But maybe more adequate would be to have a testimony. Because a lot of people go, well, you know, yeah, I believe something could happen. And I'm not trying to find something sensational, but I thought, Lord, who in our congregation have had something marvelous happen to them? And I didn't have to, I didn't have to think any longer. One one person came to my mind, although many, but this one just popped right in my mind. I called him this morning, I said, Would you come and give us a testimony of the time that I've known you and what has transpired in your life that I consider to be marvelous works of God. And let's declare his glory and give him praise. For the longer would you come? Maybe you don't know, Bill, maybe you don't know what he's been through, but I like to come and let him give a testimony this morning because why? Because it makes God more real. With what he's been through and his wife and everything, God has a purpose. Thanks, guys.
SPEAKER_00: I had met uh Pastor Slayball in July of 1990. Or Pastor Slayball. Pastor Fisher. I was thinking about Pastor Slayball before I got up here. Um in July of 1991, my wife and I, and Pastor Slayball and his wife had driven out to Paul Chapels for their fifth anniversary. And at that time I was pastoring in Tucson, Arizona, and Pastor Slayball was pastoring in uh Mace, Arizona, or Apache Junction. And Pastor Slayball and I had talked about getting a group of uh preachers in our state together and just challenging them to serve the Lord. And uh so when we were out of Paul Chapels, I met Pastor Fisher just briefly. I had never heard him preach before. Um and and we, I don't think we probably said five words to each other, maybe ten words. But when I went back home and asked God that who should come uh to uh preach this special meeting, uh I decided that Pastor Fisher should come. Pastor Fisher thought I had gotten one of his tapes and that I was inviting him because of um uh his ability to preach. It's not because of that, Pastor. No. I just I just was um I just was impressed by his manner about him. And that that was July of 1991, but I had been going through something for for a number of months, even prior to that. Uh I had been having a lot of weakness. I would come home from soul winning, uh I would uh lay down and go into deep sleeps, uh, and I never take a I'm not one to take a nap. And then August, which was just a few weeks after I met Pastor, I had a massive headache that lasted for about 14 hours, and I was not one to get headaches. I mean, it was a blinding, uh, incapacitating type headache. I couldn't even lay on the bed. I I laid on the floor, I just packed my head with ice, and my wife wanted me to go to the hospital, but I wouldn't go. And then almost to the to the day a month later, the same thing happened to me. I had another massive headache of the same kind. Came on suddenly, lasted 14 hours, and then it lifted and um made me tremendously ill. Then suddenly, September 27, 1991, uh it was 10 o'clock at night. My wife, Jerry, and the girls Audrey and Becky had already eaten, but I hadn't eaten, and so I'd asked my wife to cook me a meal. It was a late meal, obviously being at 10, but I was sitting here at the kitchen table. Audrey was sitting there, Becky was sitting there, and Jerry had served me some spaghetti. And the last thing I had remembered, Becky had asked me for part of my hot roll, you know, uh kind of a sourdough roll. I told her to get her own. That's all I remembered. And what happened was I I collapsed uh onto the kitchen table forward. I I just collapsed forward. I didn't know any of this. Um the food was coming out of my mouth and my eyes were fixed, and I guess there was some moaning going on. And uh my wife called a paramedics, they rushed me to the hospital. I got to the hospital and and I came too briefly, but but I was totally blind as far as I could not see. I wanted to see. I was in, I learned later I was in a trauma unit uh at the University of Arizona Medical Center. Uh I knew they were ripping my shirt off of me and they were sticking needles in me, and I was hearing a lot of voices. And then I went unconscious. And I mean, it took a the out the trip to the hospital was just five minutes because that's how close we lived to the hospital. And I was unconscious till the next morning, maybe I don't know, five o'clock in the morning. Uh my folks lived in that town, and of course, my wife was there. And all this time Jerry did not know what was going on with me. She just knew something traumatic had happened to me. And finally they came out to her the next morning and said, Um, we do not know what's wrong with your husband. He's not had a heart attack, he's not had a stroke from all the tests we've done, but he's he does not he's not responding to anything. We, you know, they couldn't get me to wake up or to respond or anything. Um and she came in and I this she told me this later, she came in and tried to get me to respond also, and and I apparently I just, you know, I just I would I was just out, I couldn't respond. And finally, um I a little bit later she was crying by my bedside, and I woke up and I just thought, what happened? And they she says the doctors don't know. Well anyway, um they weren't they weren't sure what happened. And they scheduled me for two weeks to be in the hospital for all kinds of brain scans and intravenous things to go up to your neck and your head and your uh EEGs, I think is what they call just an incredible amount of tests. But even in the time that they scheduled those tests, I started having seizures day after day from that point on, all kind of strange seizures. And uh and this is pastor was scheduled to come out in November, uh, and this happened in September, and and I would have spells where suddenly uh they were taking each thing was just a little step. First, I after I was, you know, I'd have seizures, but I was still pastoring, and my hands would start stretching. One day they started just doing just doing what I'm showing you, and you know, I kept doing that, and but I'd be walking around and they would just do that, and and my girls would say, Audrey and Becky, Dad, what are you doing? And I would say, I don't know. They'd say, What's wrong with your hands? And I'd say, I don't know. Then just shortly, just each day, something new would happen to my body. Then my hands started getting twisted up. Um, you know, and I continued to have seizures or something like seizures. Uh, and even when I wasn't having seizures, then I was having this, and then they would straighten out. But then all of a sudden, yeah, you know, I just I was preaching and still pastoring, and I would be preaching and trying to preach in my speech was being taken from me. And um, and then sometimes I would do okay, and then I'll you know, and then finally, you know how I am, some of you that know me well, I just would tell everybody in church you get the best stuttering preacher in town. And but things got a lot worse, and and I don't have time, I don't want to take pastor's time up, but it just all of a sudden, you know, these symptoms, then all of a sudden I would be just walking normal, and uh all of a sudden, I mean, I'd be at a grocery store and my hand would go up in the air. I'm not I'm not exaggerating. I mean, like this. And um I couldn't get it to go down, and then it would just go down on its own. Then I started getting this like a majorette. And you can imagine I kept doing things. Uh I mean, I kept trying to preach, I kept going out soul-winning, but I'd be out sometimes and people would see me, and you know, or I'd be at the store and I'd do that because a lot of times I did the grocery shopping for Jerry, and all of a sudden I'd be there and my hand would be up and my foot would be going and I'm going down and up. And uh then, you know, and I continued to have sometimes many seizures a day. Um and then finally I got to where my face started twisting around, and my whole neck twisted, and like I'd start to talk to Jerry and I'd say, and my whole body just get all twisted up, and and um just this continued on, and it was just unbelievable. And I I would be just like I would be standing out at the door of our home, and I would not know whether I had come in and was supposed to do something, or whether I was getting ready to go out and do something. Finally, all the tests came in, and I and we kept telling ourselves that this this can't be happening. This why is you know, why is this happening? The doctor's just gonna tell me that it's just something, that's that's it that's gonna be okay. And and they and they called in a bunch of neurologists from the University of Arizona, and they they told me I was terminally ill. They had done uh neuropsych tests, uh they had dognitive skill tests, they had done the EEGs and they repeated them, and they and they said, uh, Mr. Longo, your brain is slowing down, uh, your other tests done by the other doctors uh show like uh you know a patient whose brain is deteriorating. Now, some of you think it, well, now that explains why you act the way you do, but um, and uh we can't tell you what you have, but yeah, we believe you're terminal with the degenerative brain disease. And more things started happening, and I'll go quick, I'll take maybe three more minutes. All of a sudden, I a new symptom would happen. I'd be at home and and and I'm trying to demonstrate, but I have this mic here, but all of a sudden I'd be walking across to go to where Jerry was at the kitchen, and I would. And the first time that ever happened, Jerry said, Bill, are you playing around? I said, Sure. You know how tiring that is? And Pastor was keeping in touch and he came and conducted that meeting, and he doesn't even know it, but because I would have spells where I'd be okay, somewhat okay. But I remember when he came and preached and we had a wonderful meeting, and afterwards we we talked a little bit, and I don't even know that he's aware of it because I don't think I ever said anything to him, but we were talking, and all I felt inside is I want to get away from Pastor Fisher because and everybody, because I wasn't even understanding what he was telling me. I wasn't understanding anything, and yet I looked healthy, and and and you know, at that time my arms weren't doing that, and yet still things were happening in my brain where I didn't even know what he was saying to me. And that would happen with my wife and other things, and uh, and I just thought, oh God, I don't even get please let me be able to escape and walk away so I don't, you know, so they don't know, I don't even know what they're saying. And finally I, you know, it got to where I couldn't past her anymore. Um and and and things, this went on for almost two years, and things got worse, and I I had uh been back to the doctors, and and then they had I called other neurologists in, and they said uh they they asked me to conduct some physical tests, and they said, we want you to walk to the end of the hall and stop as fast as you can. This was after they told me I was term leal and all these things were happening, and so I walked. And I walked as fast as I could. And when I got to the end, I couldn't, and that was those were symptoms in in medical books of of degenerative brain disease. And they named a couple of them that it appeared to be. Finally, after um I I couldn't pastor anymore, and and I'd have times where I'd come out of it for a short time to a degree, but then finally, by the spring uh the summer of 1999. I started having spells besides those other spells where there was a book written called The Awakenings. It's a true story. But where suddenly my wife would see me sitting at the in home, at home, and I would be like this. My mouth would be open, not a pretty sight. My eyes would be open, my hands would be up in the air, and I was not moving an eyelash. And sometimes that would last for eight hours. And I could see them, I could see Becky and Audrey and my wife Jerry, and they couldn't do anything. After a while, they my girls got used to it. They would bring friends over, and I'd be in one of these. And they go like this. And you know how Becky is. She'd go, oh, Dan's in another one of those. Let's go play. You know, I'll never forget some of those statements, you know. And it's funny how God helps your family adjust to certain things as much as possible. And by the by the fall of 1992, Jerry had me in the hospital at least twice every week in the emergency room from September, October, November, all the way through to Thanksgiving. And things were really starting to deteriorate. And I remember calling Pastor Slayball and crying and saying, that's why I had him in my mind, saying, I think Bill's going to be in a wheelchair pretty soon, the way things seem to be happening with him. And I'm I'm embarrassed about what I'm going to tell you, and then I'll be through. But I got to the place where I I I talked about fear in my Sunday school class this morning, but about I was so fearful of one day not recognizing my wife and children, not knowing them anymore. People I loved. And it was emotionally really draining me to the point where I wanted to take my own life. And there was a time in my life where I didn't have much time for people who had emotional problems. I could deal with people who had physical problems, but I just felt, ah, you got an emotional problem with your weak hang up. And God really taught me a lot of things about going through some emotional things because I'd never had a whole lot of that. And I even, you know, started plotting how I could do this, but then I kept thinking, no, it's wrong. I'll break the heart of my wife and kids. And finally, and I was praying this whole day, but one day on a Saturday, I got by myself in our bedroom, and I could picture right on the corner of the bed where I kneeled and prayed. And I was just, I think, God, and I'm not doing this to preach, but just the memory. But I can't even do it. I mean, my heart was just like coming through my mouth. I mean, that's how it felt. My soul was being poured out. I was like, God, help me, please. You know, I just because I had all these plans for our life. I was getting bitter inside. But I knew, yeah, I knew that. And I told God, I said, God, if you want this to go on and for me to deteriorate, I accept it. But God, I need your help. But God, if it's okay with you, I'd like to get well. Well, I finished that little five-minute prayer and was still sick the rest of the day. And off and on. Anyway, the next day I woke up was a Sunday. Now I hadn't been in church. We were in Stan Slayball's church. I even would go to church and the times be okay. And I'd go to church even after I'd have seizures, or have a seizure at church, or have a spell, but I'd still go to church. But I had missed church in seven weeks straight. And for me to do that, even as somebody in the congregation, I was very ill. And I woke up that the next day after praying, and I told my wife, I said, honey, I feel like I could go to church today. And, you know, I got all cleaned up, which I did anyway, even though before I always knew I'd have a seizure in 20 minutes and end up on the floor or something. Then, you know, we had a nice Sunday afternoon. I told my wife, I said, honey, I think I could go back tonight. I went back to church Sunday night. Girls went to school Monday. This was the end of November of 1992. And the girl said, Dad, you're not stuttering. You're acting so different. And I told Jerry, I said, honey, something's happened to me. I don't feel sick anymore. And at first I didn't want to even say anything because I'd have little short spells where I was okay, and then it would just explode on me. And but it but I stayed well. Then I went back to Mayo Clinic where they redid all of the tests and compared them with the uh older tests. And they didn't have, I didn't have just one neurologist opinion. I had multiple neurologist opinions. And December 23rd, 1992, they called Jerry and I into the office and said, Mr. Longo, we can't explain this, but accept the test of your brain scan and all of the tests here, and the tests recently done, they're two different things. These tests show your brain is back to normal and you're perfectly well. And I said, Well, I could have told you that, because it had been about three or four weeks before I had those tests, or three weeks. And we kept doing what pastor's preaching on every day. I mean, besides praising God, we'd pinch ourselves and we'd say, Is this true? Am I gonna get to preach again? Am I gonna get to serve the Lord again? You know, and um uh pastor can tell you, I'm not making this up. He was around me and tried to get me in contact with Roland Garlic, who had Parkinson's, because Pastor thought watching me that that's what I had, and so on. And and um, well, I'm not saying I'm a you know I'm not a rocket scientist, but but my my brain's as good as it's probably ever gonna be. Amen. Glory to God. Amen.
SPEAKER_02: Let me help you now. Look at John 9. And we're finishing. You know what that is? Marvelous, astonishing. Now you listen to that, and he could have gone in much greater detail, but I seen him sit at a table in Denny's and go through a spell. John 9, look at verse 24. Then again called they the man that was blind and said unto him, give God the praise. We know that this man is a sinner. You see, this man was born blind, and Jesus had healed him. He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not. One thing I know. That whereas I was blind, now I what? You see, it was marvelous. Give me this mic back, guys. Then said they to him, I'm going to help you now. Watch this. What did he to thee? How opened he thine eyes? He answered them, I have told you already, ye did not hear. Wherefore would ye hear it again? Will ye also be his disciples? Then they reviled him and said, Thou art his disciple, but we are Moses' disciple. You see, the problem they had with this marvelous thing that God did was their theology. We know that God spake unto Moses, and as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is. The man answered and said unto them, Why? Here it is in the woman's. It's a marvelous thing. It's astonishing. It's amazing, it's incredible. But it's you, you, you, you, greedy, man of God, ye know not from whence he is. And yet he hath opened mine eyes. Now we know that God heareth not sinners, which they had proposed him to be. But if any man be a worshiper of God and doeth his will, him he heareth since the world began. Was it not heard that a man, any man born, opened the eyes of one that was born blind? If this man were not of God, he could do what? Nothing. Look what these Pharisees said. They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins. Thou dost thou teach us? And they cast him away, and please look up here, when they cast him away in their minds, they closed their minds to the marvelous thing that had happened and missed out. I'm not saying that we ought to base our theology on experience. You know, we base our theology on the book. But don't let theology choke out the marvelous things that God can still do. And I understand dispensations and everything. But you talk to men who are dispensations, and they'll tell you that God still works in marvelous ways. You know what would be a marvelous thing? If you've never received Christ as Savior today, ask him to forgive your sins and let him do it. Or why would God hear me? God likes to hear the prayers of people who've been going through a few things that God's been bringing them down, and they say, God receive me and forgive my sins. And what a marvelous, simplistic thing that God does. In honoring his word and his son, he forgives sins. And people are received as children into his kingdom. If you've been saved for a while, is God still a marvelous God? Please look up here. Can God still work your situation out? Whatever that may be. Maybe he won't work it out the way we think it should be worked out. But as long as it's done his way, it is what?
SPEAKER_01: Marvel.
SPEAKER_02: Or you say, if God can still do it, then why'd he let this happen? And why'd he let that happen? I'm not God's counselor, and nor are you. Who hath known the mind of the Lord? And by the way, he still lets men and women have their free will. Why don't you say why God lets? Because that man has a free will. Why don't you say because that woman has a free will? Well, couldn't God? Yes, he could, but he honors their free will. When God does marvelous things, brethren, we ought to declare them. And you heard a marvelous thing this morning. You say, well, that's something like that's never happened to me. Please look up here. Maybe it wasn't on that grand a scale scale, but can you see God working in your life? Just a little bit. Maybe we should give God the praise and declare his marvelous works. Rather than what we do sometimes. Walk around molly grubbed. And we all get that way once in a while, and I do too. But if you're a Christian that's mully grubbed down, you say, What's mully grubbed? Depressed, oppressed, whining, murmuring, complaining. We all go through things that are hurtful and we have to deal with them. Please look up here. I heard a man once say, we all have a past, but we don't have to live in it. Let me say it again. We all have a past, but we don't have to live in it. We can visit it, but we don't have to live in it. Lieutenant drunk on the weekends in the Marine Corps. But all things are passed away, and now I live my weekends over. And that may not be anything to you, but it's marvelous to me. Marvelous to my wife and my children. And he's still working the same way today. We need to show forth his wonderful works and declare what God has done and come back to the place where we get down and pray and say, Lord, first of all, forgive me for not including you in the equation in my mind. I've been struggling with this thing, but please listen. I've been struggling with this thing, but I need you to include you more in the equation. A plus B plus God equals marvelous things. And I've been saying A plus B plus me. How can this all work out? I need to get you in there, God. And thank you for what you've done in the past, and Lord, I believe you're gonna work this one out too. But it starts with salvation if you've never received Christ. That's where I'd start. And then watch the Father work out marvelous things. And please look up here and listen. We're not bragging on self, we're bragging on God. Maybe bragging's not a good term, but we're declaring his marvelous works. And I tell you what, we better let our children know that God is still able. And God can still work. Or it'll be a lost generation upcoming that won't know that God can still work. Please let me balance this out by saying, don't go out to Mount Helix and say today, well Lord, you said if I had faith I could remove this mountain and and and Mount Helix? God, you can do marvelous things! Move! I said move. Now you turn into a weirdo. You can get a television show. Get widows to send you money. Isn't that sarcastic? Yes. Purposely. Be careful about going into sensationalism. But don't go so far the other day that you don't expect God to work it out. And when he does. Be careful about. Quiet, girl, you're mad. He can't be at the door. Quiet, we're praying for you. When somebody get that guy at the door to stop knocking, he's bothering. We're praying in here. Be careful let's not miss. That God is still God. And God is still able. And please look up here. God is still willing. You need salvation? Let us show you from the Bible. The marvelous words and works. Have a little struggle now with some things going on in your life. Maybe this message is to try and encourage you. That God can and will and is able to still work how, say it? Marvelously.