SPEAKER_01: Turn with me in your Bible tonight to uh Matthew 25. Thanks, ladies. I like that song. Sweet Holy Spirit. Encourage everybody in the foyer and out in the uh hallways to come in now. Ushers help me with that if you would. Matthew chapter 25. Matthew 25. Thanks for all your work. As Glendie Hamilton would say, church. It's good to be a part of a church that's doing something for God. Matthew 25, and when we're doing something for God, there's always anywhere there's movement, there's always going to be some friction. Anywhere there's change and growth, there's going to be some friction. And appreciate God's grace in seeing us through all that. Matthew chapter 25, if you would. School starts tomorrow, Bible Institute, the following week. I'd like you to listen to the message tonight. It's something for our church, but also, I believe, something for you as individuals and myself as a pastor. Chapter 25 of Matthew, the verse 14 says this, verse 14, and everybody in now quickly, if you would. Verse 14, for the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country who called his servants and delivered unto them whose goods? His goods. So what he did to these servants, he made them stewards, if you would, verse 15. And unto one, he gave five talents, and to another, two, verse 15 of chapter 25 of Matthew. And to another, one. I want you to see the next little phrase, if you would. To every man according to his what? Several abilities. The idea was God looked at those who had different abilities and he gave according to those abilities. One, he looked at the man's abilities and said, I'm going to give him five. And to another one, he looked at the man's abilities and said, I'm going to give him two. To another man, he looked at that man's abilities and said, I'm going to give him one. If you know anything about God, as long as that guy with five did what he could with that five, and as long as the guy with two did what he did, could do with that two. And as long as that guy who got one did what he could, God would equally reward each one of them. Amen. It's foolish for us to look at one another and compare ourselves to each other and say, well, you know, that guy's doing fivefold, and that guy's doing twofold, and that guy's doing onefold, and comparing one to another, and saying the one with doing with five is greater than the one doing with one. That's not how God views it. God looks at what we're able to do and how much performance we are with what doing with what we have, and he judges us accordingly, i.e., the woman, the widow who gave two mites, did more than all the rest of them who cast in just a little bit of what they had. Future preacher, taking charge. There we go. See, I told you he's a preacher, amen. If you and I are not careful, we begin to look at what someone else is doing and look at what we're doing and get all discouraged, and may I say that's foolishness. And when I first entered into the ministry as a pastor, uh when I'd go to some of these conferences, I'd hear what other men were doing and look what I was doing and go back and feel like quitting. After a while, I decided I got one or two choices. I'll stop going to these conferences because it's just discouraging me, or I'll go with a different attitude. So I decided the problem was not the conferences, the problem was my attitude going into them, and I started changing my attitude and saying, you know what, I'm gonna take one or two or three things out of this conference and go home and work on that. And if I do that for 20 years, maybe I'll get closer to being what I'm supposed to be for God. I want you to see, though, to every man according to his several ability. Now, I'm not trying to use a play on words here. Brother Swim preached on Wednesday night, and he talked to you about uh steadfastness. And really, when you think about it, if there is an ability in the way of steadfastness, it would be reliability. And if anybody needs anything in our church or as in the Lord, reliability is certainly important. I uh I think when we think about faithfulness, uh, there's an ability there. You see, sometimes when we think of abilities, we think of uh, you know, our our gifts in music or gifts to speak or or something like that, fix cars or whatever. Sometimes the ability is the character within us. For example, faithfulness may be something in the way of dependability. And God wants that. If I read this book properly, this whole book pronounced judgments. You know what this book does? It promotes accountability. And my idea is as we read this book and we have the Holy Spirit in us, it keeps us accountable to God and to each other. Amen? I want to show you two abilities tonight that we as a church need. Look at Galatians chapter 1. Please, Galatians chapter 1. And I'll illustrate out of the uh New Testament tonight, Galatians chapter 1, and then I'll make it very practical for our church. Galatians chapter 1. It's not so much meant to be a play on words, but literally some abilities that we need. Galatians chapter 1. I'll only talk about two tonight. I want you to listen. Look, if you would, in Galatians chapter 1, verse 13, it's talking about, Paul is talking about himself here. Look at it, brethren, with me, and I'll make sure that I try to get at you out of here early tonight, as you can have one more time of fellowship before uh school or homeschool or Bible institute. Verse uh 13. For you have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion. How that beyond measure I did what? Talk to me. I persecuted the church of God and did what? Wasted it. Boy, that's an honest, uh, honest look at himself, amen. Paul says, you know what I used to do? I used to persecute God's church and I wasted it. And proffered in the Jews' religion above many mine equals in mine own nation, being more exceeding zealous of the traditions of my fathers. But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, he was uh born, if you would, uh, uh into a certain tribe, if you know the story, and God said, uh, he said, you know what, when it was God's pleasure, he separated me from what I was raised in, and he called me by his grace to reveal his son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen. Immediately he says this, I conferred not with flesh and bread. You know what he says there? I didn't go ask the brethren what they thought. Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me. But I went into Arabia, returned again into Damascus. Then, after how long? Three years. Three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, abode with him fifteen days. But of the apostles saw I none save James the Lord's brother. Now the thing which I write unto you, behold, before God I lie not. Afterwards I came unto the regions of Syria and Cilicia, and was unknown by face unto the churches of Judea which were in Christ. Look what he says in verse 23. But they had heard only that he which persecuted who? Us in times past now preached the faith which once he destroyed. That's a testimony, amen. I used to waste the church of God, I used to persecute it, and now even those who hadn't even known what my face looked like, they heard that even though I used to persecute it, now I'm out preaching what I once destroyed. Verse 24. And they glorified God in me. You know what I see in Paul's life, my brother, as far as ability? Paul was uh extremely flexible. Just the concept, if you would, if you study his life, of his flexibility with what God took him through and brought him through. For example, look if you would at Acts chapter 9. I'm sorry, Acts chapter 16. Look at Acts chapter 16 tonight. And if there's anything we need as Christians, it's it's a certain flexibility. And I'm not talking about a backbone that doesn't have strength. I'm talking about some flexibility to allow the Holy Ghost to lead us. Are you listening to me tonight? Let me say it again. I'm talking about allowing the Holy Ghost to lead us, even if it goes against what the brethren do. Even if it goes against what this group does or what that group does. Hey, you know this church, if someone looked at this church sometimes and they would say, Man, you're doing what? That's not that's not gonna work. It's worked so far. Now we're working on some things, and I'm working on some correction and some things like that, which I'll talk to you in a minute, but I'm gonna say something to you.
SPEAKER_00: It doesn't have to be that everybody does it exactly uh verbatim the same way. Sometimes the Holy Ghost leads certain families to do something that another family may not be led to do.
SPEAKER_01: Verse 6. Now, when they had gone throughout Phrygia and regions of Galatia, and were what? Say it, forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia. You know, Paul was planning on going there to preach, and the Holy Ghost said, No. No, I don't want you to go up there to preach right now. Now you say, what is he? He didn't want to reach Asia? Oh, sure he did, but the timing wasn't right. Verse 7. And after they were come to Mysia, they essayed to go into Bythynia. So they were planning on going there, but the Spirit, say it, suffered them not. You know what? Paul didn't get in a huff. He just was flexible enough to say the Holy Spirit said, No, you can't go do that, and he went somewhere else. And they passing by Mysia came to Troas. Now we're getting to where God wanted them. And a vision appeared to Paul in the night. There stood a man of Macedonia and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia and what? Help us. And after we had seen the vision, immediately we endeavored to go into Macedonia, assured gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them. The idea here, brethren, you ought to mark it down. Paul's flexibility of doing what God wanted him to do was an example to us. And what I'm saying is this: I'm not saying go out and be a maverick. I'm not saying go out and do your own thing and say, I don't care what anybody says. There's certain principles, but what I am saying is this, brethren, we ought to be flexible enough for God to be able to change our plans. And if it means eating crow, eat it. Say, what do you mean? Sometimes we do things and go a certain direction, and God shows us later it's wrong. And if we're not careful, our pride will not allow us to correct ourselves. I like it when people correct themselves regardless of what people think. Amen, amen, amen. And the idea of flexibility here is prevalent. I mean, uh, you talk about being flexible. Uh Paul was a member of uh, no doubt, probably a high-ranking, possibly the Sanhedrin, and it wasn't too long later that he found himself in a prison. Down in Philippi. Down into the innermost prison. God, I don't understand this. I used to be somewhat high-ranking in the Jewish religion. And they felt well of me there. But here I am down in this prison, down in this deep, dark, dirty prison in stocks. What what what is this all about? How can this be God's will? I mean, think of them down there. They were in the deepest, darkest dungeon for just doing God's will. Amen. Come on. And there they are down there looking at each other. They didn't have a bad attitude and a bad spirit about what God had led them into. If I remember correctly, they started singing praises to God.
SPEAKER_00: You talk about being flexible and trusting God that he was right where he was supposed to be and doing what God wanted him to do, and then begin singing at night, and God said, I like that spirit, I like that attitude, let him out.
SPEAKER_01: There's a flexibility in Paul's life. Look at Acts 27. Acts 27 and 2 Corinthians chapter 11. Brother, these are examples for us. Acts 27. And 2 Corinthians chapter 11. Now you are your turning there. Flexibility does not mean I run all over the place and like a chicken with its head cut off and doesn't know where I'm going. Flexibility doesn't mean, well, we're going here and then we're going there, then we're going there, and you get so confused you don't know what God's will is. Flexibility and steadfastness, if you would, reliability and dependability and accountability, they go hand in hand. Look at Acts 27, brethren. Verse 21. But after long absence, Paul stood forth in the midst of them and said, Sirs, you should have hearkened unto me and not have loose from Crete and to have gained this harm and loss. He's talking to some shipmen on a ship. And now I exhort you to be of good cheer. For there should no loss of any man's life among you but of the ship. He said, Listen, you know in verse 22, he says, Listen, none of you are going to die, but the ship's going to sink. How's that for good news? I want to let everybody know, none of you are going to die, be of good cheer, but the ship's going down. For there stood by me, verse 23, this night, the angel of God, whose I am and whom I serve, saying, Fear not, Paul. Thou must be brought before Caesar. And lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee. Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer, for I believe who? God. That it shall be even as it was told me. And then he says in verse 26, howbeit, we must be cast upon a certain island. Now you know what's interesting about that statement? I don't think Paul knows which island he's going to be ending up on. You say, well, I just want to know exactly what's going to happen to me next in my life. If you follow the Holy Spirit, it won't happen. You may know some, you may figure out some, brethren, but there are times who hath known the mind of the Lord and who hath been his counselor. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things what? Not seen. And all he knew was, I'm going to be on a certain island somewhere, but I don't even think he knew where he was going to be. But he didn't have a bad attitude. He trusted God. Amen. He was flexible, believing that God had his hand on his life. But when the 14th night was come and were driven up and down in Adri about midnight, the shipmen deemed that they drew near some country. And if you go down and follow the story, they were shipwrecked. And they were cast upon a certain island. What was it? And God had some work for Paul to do there. Had a snake he needed to be killed. Amen? And he witnessed to some people and they received Christ as Savior. My point is, brethren, Paul's flexibility and his attitude towards that flexibility is documented in this Bible. Look, if you would with two scriptures, look at 2 Corinthians 11 and Philippians 4, and let me give you something practical for our church. 2 Corinthians 11 and Philippians chapter 4. And God works on us to be more flexible to his leading. 2 Corinthians 11 and Philippians chapter 4. Look at Paul's own testimony. Are you getting it tonight? And this is not, you say, well, I want something deep. This is deep enough. Just put it into practice, amen? Learn in what Paul says in just a couple of scriptures. Look at 2 Corinthians chapter 11. And look what he says about his own life. Verse 22. Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? So am I. Are they ministers of Christ? I speak as a fool. I am more. In labors? More abundant. In stripes? Above measure. In prisons, more frequent. I like this nice little statement. In deaths? Often. Of the Jews, five times received I forty stripes, saved one. I mean, brethren, you start thinking about this if you had this going on in your life, and you could almost get bitter at God. I don't understand this, God. Why are you putting me through all this? Paul didn't have that attitude. Thrice was I beaten with rods. Once was I stoned. You remember where at? Lystra. Thrice I suffered shipwreck. A night and a day I have been in the deep. That's what I want to ask about, amen. In journeys off, in perils of water, in perils of robbers, in perils of mine own countrymen, and perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, and perils in the wilderness, and perils in the sea, and perils among who? False brethren. In weariness and painfulness, and watchings off, and hunger, thirst, and fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches. You read that statement, and you what you see? Flexibility to God's leading and to God's allowing that he would not bear above that which he was able. Now, with that in mind, all that he just said that he was involved with, look at Philippians 4 at his attitude. Stay with me, please. Philippians 4, and you already know it, but it's so important. Philippians 4, after all that he just said, and fastings and deaths and nakedness and perils, I mean, stoned, beaten, shipwrecked, all these things. Look what he says in Philippians 4. Verse 11. Not that I speak in respect of one. It's the same Paul speaking here. For I have what? Say it, brethren. I've learned. In whatsoever state I am, there we have to do what? Be content. So I want you to see something. He learned contentment. Only way you can do that is to get a little flexible. I know both how to obey abase and I know how to abound. And everywhere in all things I'm instructed. There's that learning. Both to be full and to be hungry. Both to abound and to suffer need. And then he says this I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. You know what I see there, I see a man that's God has made through his Holy Spirit to be flexible. As a church, my brethren, we have had to learn to be flexible. If you've been around our church for a little while, uh it seems like we're in a constant state of some flexing. Just today, with our deaf revival going on, we we moved the uh Couples for Christ class up to a room, and we moved Brad Moore's class out of that room into another space. I mean, if you've been around this church very long, uh I'd have to say that one of the things that characteristically would tell you about our church is flexibility. I think about the bus ministry. You know, uh they say B C and A D before Christ and after death. And when I think about our bus ministry, I think of uh B L and A L. Amen? Before lay law and after lay law. Because things dramatically changed, didn't they, bus minister? And we're praying about trying to get back to single runs again, Lord willing, and sometime in October. I know that'd be great. It'd be great in a lot of ways. And we're working on it. I appreciate your flexibility while we're trying. Um the very fact that we're in the Seventh day at Adventist Church is flexibility. For those of you who made the journey across the river during that period of time, um there was about two weeks' notice given. About all we had of the Lord and our fire department. They were doing their job, and we praise the Lord they did their job. Amen. God used them. I I I remember when we came over here. I didn't hear much mumbling and grumbling and complaining. Nice restrooms, an uncrowded parking lot. Remember when? Plenty of room in the church. What a blessing. Air conditioning. And now there's no room in the parking lot. It's trying its best. I think I can. I just get a little crowded on a Sunday night and say, preacher, what are we gonna do? Stay flexible. And learn in whatsoever state we're in. Learn it. Be instructed. To try to stay contented until God shows us what's next. You'll have to do that in your own family. You'll have to do that in your own life. I mean, our school is starting tomorrow. I have to ask this church to be flexible at our other property. I just looked at the schedule of where classes are going to be, they're gonna be everywhere. Those who use that property over there on Thursday evening or Friday evening activities, Sunday with the Spanish, whatever. I'm gonna ask you to be flexible with the school as we work for the next couple of weeks to get everything settled down. We're utilizing, you don't know. And now by next month, uh it looks like we'll have the Amherst property all paid off on the big building over there. All paid off. The Amherst House was paid off last year, and now by next month, uh, Lord willing, and I believe it will happen, we'll have the Amherst uh uh auditorium paid off, the Spanish auditorium. And somebody says, why do we hang on to it? You ought to see how much we use it. Watch it over. We ought to video it for a week once the school starts, and then speed it up so you can see it. I mean, it's a beehive of activity over there, almost, I've got to say, daily and almost nightly when the Bible Institute shows up. So it's gonna take a little flexibility as we as we get started over there. And one of the areas I want you to stay flexible in is uh upcoming. Uh, we've been working on this for a while. I'm not one to try to bring things to the church until it looks more definite that things are gonna happen. Worst thing you can do as a head of the home is saying, now we're gonna do this and it doesn't happen, and now we're gonna do that and it doesn't happen, and now we're gonna do this. And as a church, I'm very careful about what I tell you is gonna happen. But it looks like uh we've been working on it for a while, a few months. Uh, if you don't know, we have a property we call the Harbison Canyon property. And uh Brother Stan Siegler years ago uh lived out there while I was on staff at our church, and then uh began pastoring the church out there in that area and lived there. And then as he became more pastor of the church, we thought it would be important for him to be indigenous into his own church, and we moved Brother Pollock out there. If you remember Brother Pollock, and he and his wife lived out there, and then after that he left, Mrs. Tyner lived out there. We just got to the place where we felt like, I felt like personally, and praying before the Lord that it's time to go ahead and sell that property. What's unique property? A house and a quonset hut. Not everybody would want a Quonset hut. And uh so we put it up for sale, and you say, well, why didn't you tell us? Because we didn't have a buyer at that time, and there was a lot of things involved, and over a period of time now, I'm gonna say a couple of months, and I'll bring it to you now, so next week we hope to be able to bring you more information on it. Um we listed it, and uh God brought along an interested party. In fact, uh it's a pastor of another church, interested in homeschooling his own children, and the Quonset Hut just seems to fit that bill. They weren't ready to buy years ago or last year, but it looks like this year, and this is their first purchase of a home. And uh they happen to be going through the VA, and that means uh greater restrictions. And so we went through the termite inspections and everything, and fixed some things and and did some things out there, and and last week, a week and a half ago or so, we had the VA inspection. The reason that we haven't brought it to you is any one of these things could uh could glitch the deal. And now uh we looks like more and more the the VA inspector said without a doubt it was the most unique property he had ever ever appraised. The appraisal the appraisal come back in uh in very good order, and uh the negotiations and everything were done, I believe, without my without a doubt, as unto the Lord on both parties. And as of right now, it's an escrow, and uh, if everything goes well with the VA finally and we get that approved, which we're very close to now, and the funding and everything, we want to recommend to the church, and and by the way, we won't sell it without your recommendation, but we wanted to get it all ready to go because there's no use in presenting it to you and then saying, oops, the deal failed through. But we're close enough now to where it looks like uh Lord Willing will be able to sell it for over$100,000. And that does help a church that's been going through some growth. So next Sunday evening, Lord Willing, I I say that believing that it will happen, we'll present to you a letter from the trustees on our opinion and give you the opportunity to vote. And we hope to be able to sell that and be able to uh clear out some things and get us set up for the future. You say, wow,$100,000, that'll that'll really set us up for the future. Yeah. But the idea, brethren, is this a little flexibility in trying to follow the Holy Spirit's will. And by the way, it may mean not anything to you when I stand up and say, it looks like uh it's be a good move to sell the home. You say, well, that was easy. It wasn't easy at all. We've been battling all the way along. But some men have been working hard behind the scenes to get everything done. And some men will be going out this week to finish this and finish that, and I appreciate that. And God knows the time. I just went to Bill Pierce tonight and said, Bill, uh, listen, we've been talking about moving your class because the teenage ministry is growing and they need that large room up there on Sunday morning. And I appreciate the attitude of our people. Bill said, No problem. And Bill got together with Bradmore, and Bradmore's class is on a sabbatical, just finished a cycle, and so Bill's gonna move up in Brad's class, and Brother Swim's teens are gonna move up into Bill's class. You say, how often that does that go on? Almost every Sunday. You say, where's that class this week? Well, we'll find it. Just give us a couple minutes. And you'll see classes out here, and used to be uh Brother Wade out there, now there's another class out there. Used to be a different class back here, and now the girls are back here, and girls back here on Sunday school. You say, when will it ever stop? I hope never. Well, I just want something stable. Well, I'm stable in Christ.
SPEAKER_00: And that's sure. But when you're doing something for God like Paul did, he was constantly facing new challenges, and please look up here, constantly facing new situations that God led him to, but he kept a good attitude.
SPEAKER_01: If we were just uh a church that wasn't doing anything and we're all just gonna sit in here and grow old and complain about each other and murmur about each other and take some money and every 20 years change the color of the carpet and feel like we've done something for God, then I wouldn't be preaching this message. But we're a church on the move doing something for God.
SPEAKER_00: You can't put all those spinning tracks out and not see people come to church. You can't put 15,000 tracks out at a Republican convention and not be opposed by the devil. You can't have a deaf revival and have people say and not feel some opposition, and I'll tell you, he's gonna work within us, and we need to stay flexible with each other.
SPEAKER_01: Uh second ability tonight. Look at Matthew 16. Last ability. Are you getting it? Matthew 16. And would you also pick up Luke 22? And I'm not mad at anybody. In fact, I'm glad that we got such a flexible church. You say, well, you don't know what so-and-so said. Uh, you know what? I've said some things too, and I stopped listening to myself once in a while. Amen. Well, you don't know so-and-so over here, or this ministry over here. You know what? God will help them. Well, but you don't know. Hey, you know what? In a church like this, there's always smoke coming up from some teepee.
SPEAKER_00: And may I suggest if you go into the teepee, don't take gasoline, take some water in.
SPEAKER_01: Or you might burn the teepee down. Amen. That's profound. Matthew 16. Now, Peter is the other personality I want to talk to you in just a couple minutes tonight. Paul had so many, but his flexibility very much was impressive to me. And Peter, I don't know, there's so many things, but one stands out more than any to me. Look at Matthew 16 and verse 21. Stay with me, brethren. We'll get you out of here so you can have some fellowship and food. Stay flexible with me. Verse 21. From that time forth began Jesus to show and his disciples how that he must go into Jerusalem and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes and be what? Say it? Killed. And be raised again from the dead. Then Peter took him. Who? Peter took Christ and began to do what? Say it. Rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord. This shall not be unto thee. I mean, here he is talking to the creator of the universe that was with the Father before the foundation of the world.
SPEAKER_00: And he says, in my opinion, that's not going to happen.
SPEAKER_01: But he turned and said unto Peter, so this is Jesus speaking, get thee behind me, Satan. It's interesting that Jesus called the first Pope Satan, amen. Come on. Thou art an offense unto me. Obviously, he wasn't speaking ex cathedral, amen. For thou savorest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. He says, you know what, Peter? You're not looking at this in the fourth dimension. You're not looking at this by faith. You're looking at what you see, and it doesn't make sense to you, so you don't think it can happen. Verse 23, you say, What did God do? God corrected Peter. And I got to tell you this: Peter was correctable. If there was anything Peter had, it was the ability to be correctable, if you would, correctability. Now look a little bit further at Luke 22. Stay with me. Luke chapter 22. Now I'm going to bear this out, and you say, well, I already know all the scriptures. Well, then look at the principle and look at your life. Luke 22. And would you also pick up Mark chapter 9? The message won't last that much longer. Luke 22 and Mark chapter 9. Paul had a great deal of flexibility. It seems like Peter had a great deal of correctability. Look at Luke 22 and Mark 9. Say, preacher, who you've been listening to to come up with these abilities? Well, every once in a while God gives me one of those tricky little messages, you know. Those little tricky words. I'm not good at those ones that all begin with the same letter. I would have flunked all the homiletics courses they give. Spurgeon would have drummed me out if he saw the way I preach. I've read his book. You're supposed to stand by the pulpit and orate. Yes. With a deep voice and articulate. You're not supposed to jump all over the place and act like a fool. I flunk. Luke 22. Look, if you would, brethren, at verse 31. And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for thee that thy what? Say it, faith fail not. Now wait a minute, what are you talking about? Why is his faith potentially going to fail? Because he's about ready to get corrected by God. And remember what it says, that when we're chastened of the Lord, we're not supposed to faint. And he's going to be chastened of God by what he's about ready to do. But I have prayed for thee that thy faith fail not. And when thou art, what, say it, converted, strengthen thy brother. And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee both into prison and to death. Sticks his foot right in his mouth. And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day before thou hast, thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me. That's a tough statement. Hey, Peter, you're ready to go to prison for me, huh? You're ready to die for me. Peter, let me tell you something. Before this day's out, you're not even going to be willing to acknowledge that you know me. And you know the story. He's out by the fire and he denies him three times. And then, please look up here. The Lord turns and looks on him. And he remembers this little statement. And the Bible says he went out and did what? Wept bitterly. He was corrected. But he was, brethren, correctable. Look at Mark chapter 9. Stay with me. Mark chapter 9. And would you also pick up Galatians chapter 2? Mark 9 and Galatians 2. Last two scriptures I'll ask you to turn to. Mark 9 and Galatians chapter 2. It's a practical message. I hope you're listening. Mark 9. Galatians chapter 2. Or what happens in Mark chapter 9, you have read it, and they go up to the Mount of Transfiguration, and the inner three, if you would, verse 2, and after six days, Jesus taketh with him Peter and James and John, and leadeth them up into a high mountain apart by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his raiment began shining, became shining, seemingly white as snow, so that as no fuller on earth can white them. And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses. And they were talking with Jesus. What a conversation over here, amen. Verse 5. And Peter answered. Now, isn't that interesting? Peter wasn't even asked the question, but he had an answer. Peter's just that way, amen. You don't have to ask him a question, he's just got an opinion. And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here. And let us make three tabernacles. One for thee, one for Moses, and one for Elias. For he wis not what to say. And you know what? When Peter didn't know what to say, he said something anyway. For they were sore afraid. And there was a cloud that overshadowed them. I tell you what, talk about a bad hair day. And a voice came out of the cloud saying, This is my beloved son. And then Peter was rebuked when the voice in the cloud said, Hear him. You know what the voice was saying? Don't worry about Moses, don't worry about Elias, don't build tabernacles for them. Jesus is the focus. But he was correctable. I've often wondered about verse 34. Who started that conversation? Verse 33. He came to Capernaum and being the house, he asked them, what was it that you disputed among yourselves, by the way? But they held their peace. For by the way, they had disputed among themselves who should be the what. It doesn't say, but it wouldn't surprise me that Peter started that conversation. Jesus rebuked him, taught him. Look at Galatians chapter 2. Last scripture. You see, brethren Peter was correctable. Galatians chapter 2. You know it, but let's read it. Verse 11. But when Peter was come to Antioch, Paul said, I withstood him to the face. Because he was to be what? Blame. You know what Paul said? I corrected Peter. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles. But when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. Talking about those Jews. And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him, inasmuch that Barnabas was also carried away with their dissimilation. But when I saw that they, that's uh those who followed Barnabas and Peter in his dissimilation, but when I saw that they walk not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter, before them all, if thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Jews to live as, or the Gentiles to live as the Jews? Who, we who are Jews by nature and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, you know what he says? He he begins to rebuke Peter and say, you know what? Why did you put on a show for these men? Peter, you know what, uh, you're uh one of the leaders of the Church of Antioch. And uh and Peter, wasn't it you that were involved with that sheep letting down caper vision? Didn't God show you, Peter, that uh God is not a respecter of persons?
SPEAKER_00: And didn't Peter God show you that God wanted to take the gospel to the Gentiles just like the Jews, Peter? And now that the Jews are come, why are you putting on this show for the Jews? Why don't you treat the Jews just like the Gentiles, Peter?
SPEAKER_01: And Peter was a leader at this time, he had already preached Pentecost, he'd already done many miracles, but he was still needed to be corrected. And the one thing I see about Peter, he didn't pack up his toys and go home. And say, I'm not playing anymore, if you're gonna treat me that way. You don't know who I am. No, Peter was corrected. Because Peter was correctable. And correctability, brethren, is a tremendous ability to have. And we all need it. I uh I reflect on myself. And one of the areas that God's been working in my life, and I'll let you know as a church, because I think it has an impact on the church as a whole, last year I received invitations and was out four Sundays. Uh, two in Michigan for the church up there that was going through some growth, and one at A.D. Hampton's uh anniversary, and then another when I was out with my family on vacation. And at the end of the year, towards the end of the year, I decided that there was too much on Sunday, and so I told the Lord and I told the church I wouldn't be out as many Sundays this year. And so far this year, I've been out one Sunday, and that was uh to take my boy up to a trip and be a special thing we had planned for two or three years that he didn't know about. And I'm not planning on being out anymore Sundays, that's it for the year. And uh now what God's corrected me on is uh I've been out a few Wednesday nights this year, and I think I've counted uh ten Wednesday nights, and I've decided that God's leading would be to correct that and not be out as many Wednesday nights in the following year. I'll be out a couple here and there, but for the most part, uh I've talked with some guys that I've preached for on a regular basis and their meetings and everything, and I said, uh, I'll fly out Monday and be there with you Tuesday and Wednesday morning, and then I'll fly back Wednesday and be back here for Wednesday night. And it's just something that God's been correcting me on a little bit, and as a church, I think you should know that. Our men back here do a tremendous job when I'm gone. Just because I'm gonna be here doesn't mean I'm still not gonna preach. There'll be a few Wednesday nights that I'll be out next year, and but I I still have uh next week, and I've made some two or three commitments yet that I have to keep. And the tickets are already bought, so I'm gonna I'm gonna keep those commitments. Next week I I go to Georgia for two days and preach, and then I fly to uh West Virginia and never been there yet, and uh Brother Harry Nix really wanted me to come, I guess, and I told him I know for a while and then finally just really got burdened. Here's the directions to the camp where I'll be at. Take I-79 to exit 67, in parentheses, flatwoods. Turn right on Route 4, go 1.5 miles. Turn left on Route 20 at the Go Mart, go approximately two miles. If you see us there, turn in on Holy Gray Park on the left. Signs will be posted. Now I have no idea where that's at. I just know it's somewhere up in the Appalachian Mountains. Oh, yeah, it's just past the Go Mart. And a few churches decided to have a little camp meeting up there, and we're talking. Mountain people. But they're people. And I made a commitment there. And two more Wednesday night commitments this year. And then I'm not planning on taking anymore. And the idea is that uh we all need to be correctable. But I want you to know this. Even when I'm out, I'm still focused on what goes on in this church. Sometimes when I'm out, God gives me the opportunity to take a third-party look at what I'm doing. And he corrects me. Sometimes you've got to get out of the heat of the battle. Just take a step back and see how you're doing. God's been working on me in some areas. The CLA has given us a great deal of information on church functions of administrative operations. And a lot of work has been done behind the scenes by our administrative personnel and correcting different areas that have come up in court of laws. You need to know that. One of the areas God's working on me, and probably one of my weakest areas is fiscal responsibility in the way of financial management for the church. And that's not to say it's a disaster or anything. It just needs to get better as we get bigger. Used to be that the checkbook was easier to balance. Now as we've grown in a deaf revival, a prison revival, a bus ministry, a Spanish growing, I mean, a school, and you just keep on going and going and going and going, and more and more work being done, I need to catch up a little bit in maturity for the fiscal management of this church. Fortunately, I've got some men that have been faithful, and some have uh done well by their faithfulness in helping me to get corrected. Is that wrong of me to say that? I hope you don't see it as uh, well, you know, the pastor's weak. Hey, I'm I'm I'm weaker than you know. Flesh and blood, just like you. But I have confidence in God. I think we can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth us. I don't ever have a problem with standing up and telling you some of my weaknesses because if I didn't, you'd think I was a fake. Any man that stands up and professes himself to have no faults is a fake. Now, I like what one man said. He said, let them know you have feet of clay, but don't take your shoes off and show them all the time. If I take my shoes off, you'll know I have feet of clay. My feet stink, just like everybody. Every man I know, every real man, their feet stink. So if your feet don't stink, I well, I won't say that. But the idea, brothers, I don't have a problem with telling you about the correctability God does in my life, because this. I want us all to be able to look at the Holy Spirit of God and look in the spiritual mirror and look at ourselves sometimes and say, God, thank you for correcting me. I needed that. And Peter, if I read his life right, stay with me, was corrected time after time after time after time, even after he had his great preaching at Pentecost and his great leadership at Antioch and here in Galatia had to be rebuked and corrected. But he didn't quit. He went on. Tonight, brethren, in our church, two things we need as we go into this school year, the fall, the institute, so many things going on as we head into our big day in November and the holiday cantata and so many other things. We need to be have the ability to be flexible and have the ability to be correctable. Now, I asked you this question, I close. How's your heart tonight in those areas? Sometimes it's good to come to an old-fashioned order or bend a knee and say, God. I want to be more flexible. And Lord, I need to be more correctable with God, getting angry and fainting, and letting my shoulders hang down and my knees bend and my countenance drop when you chasten me. God, continue to correct me to make me what you want me to be, and help me to be more flexible and to learn when whatever state I'm in, therewith to be what? Say it. Content. Brethren, we've got great opportunities ahead of us as a team, as a unit. I believe if you watched our church for a short period of time, it's just tremendous to watch a few people this morning came down and received Christ as Savior. One met me afterwards and shook my hand and said, I've been thinking about salvation a long time. And this morning it was just so clear to me. And with tears, this woman said, I received Christ as my Savior. And another lady who was a relative just was excited. Another couple joined our church this morning. I mean, just on and on it goes. Flexibility and correctability. Just two abilities out of those several abilities that we need. Two abilities out of those several abilities that I need too. Let's all stand tonight. Brethren, just before you leave, please do me the courtesy tonight, as a pastor, not to walk out the door right now. Normally we're not out till 8 o'clock. It's a little bit earlier. You could wait a couple of minutes. Now, with your heads bowed and your eyes closed, just for a moment tonight. I'm not really expecting a flood to the altar. That's not the purpose of this message tonight. Yet I know this when the Holy Spirit works, we need to be obedient. And if tonight flexibility hasn't been maybe one of the strong points of your character, or maybe some things have come upon your life where you need to go to God and say, God, I've never faced this before, the responsibility and the mixture of trouble like Paul talked about, and all those things that seem like a no-near-near what Paul went through, but it seems like, Lord, more and more is coming my way, and God, I'm asking you, whatever Paul had in him, I need to learn to be more content and flexible. Or maybe recently God has taken you through some correction. And time after time he's been correcting you or me. And it's not time to faint, it's time to be like Peter and go on and take it like we're supposed to. Brethren, tonight, don't be embarrassed to come to an old fashioned altar and say, God, flexibility needs to be more a part of my character. Or God, help me to be more correctable unto thee and not to faint.