SPEAKER_00: That's my job to say hello. Hey, I want to say hello. Hey, hello, and welcome to this uh podcast, our parent podcast for the next series here at Celebration Baptist Church. My name is Pastor Tommy, and it's my job to say hello. But since you spoke, go ahead and introduce yourself. Who are you, young man?
SPEAKER_03: Hey guys, this is Mr. Land, and I'm the children's ministry director here at Celebration.
SPEAKER_00: We've also got our preschool director. What's your name again?
SPEAKER_01: This is Sherry.
SPEAKER_00: Sherry, what are you doing around here?
SPEAKER_01: I am a director over Joy and the Morning for the Moms Group and Mops and Wednesday night and Sundays.
SPEAKER_00: This morning you got to play doctor. You said you had a skin knee in your world over there.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah, we did. I was playing nurse. Had one in the carrier carrying the baby around and bandaging up the other.
SPEAKER_00: Okay. Well, we have somebody else with us today. Sherry, why don't you introduce our new person?
SPEAKER_01: We do. This is Miss Elizabeth, and she was our main uh helper during Adventure Week, and now she's here with us permanently.
SPEAKER_02: I love Adventure Week. I've been uh helping out with it for the past decade, but I'm just now officially really moving into my position on the team as a children's ministry assistant.
SPEAKER_00: So, what do you have family-wise? You married, you got kids, what do you got?
SPEAKER_02: I'm married, I have six children. My twins are the uh beginning that began my husband and my adventure with children, and we have a caboose, which is our four-year-old baby girl.
SPEAKER_00: And your husband cuts down trees for a living?
SPEAKER_02: My husband takes care of trees. Yes, he takes care of it. He avoids cutting trees down, but when it has to happen, it has to happen.
SPEAKER_00: He's an arborist, is that the correct turn?
SPEAKER_02: He's an arborist.
SPEAKER_00: Well, welcome to the team. We're glad you're here today. Hey, so for the month of October and November, we're gonna be talking about two different topics. The first four weeks are gonna be about covenant. And so, how many how many Bible covenants do you guys think there are in the Bible? You got any idea? Four? Land is going with three. Six, eight, and what you consider.
SPEAKER_03: Okay, a technical covenant. Yeah, okay. I can name about six.
SPEAKER_00: Well, there's about eight, somewhat described, if you count Eden and you know, the revelation. But the the big covenants would be the Mosaic covenant, which is the covenant with what?
SPEAKER_03: Moses Israelites.
SPEAKER_00: And he gave his people what?
SPEAKER_03: The Ten Commandments.
SPEAKER_00: The law, yeah. So if you keep my law, I'm gonna bless you. And so there's a special covenant for the people of Israel. Of course, we have the Abraham covenant. What was Abraham's covenant?
SPEAKER_03: That nations sorry, yeah, go ahead. No, no, no, you're God. You're doing good. Go in.
SPEAKER_00: Yes, all nations are gonna be blessed from this one man, and from this man, God says, I'm gonna build my people. Then we have uh a covenant with David, David's line. What's that covenant with David?
SPEAKER_02: David's about the Messiah coming from his line.
SPEAKER_00: Yeah, that from his line, the line of Judah, from the line of David, is gonna come the Savior for all. And then, of course, the big covenant in the New Testament we're gonna talk about is the uh covenant with the new covenant. What is that new covenant? You do it every time you take communion.
SPEAKER_02: It's the covenant through Christ, directly where he was our um sacrifice. So we accept his body and blood and have the bread and the wine or juice.
SPEAKER_00: Well, we should call that the Lord's Snack. Unless it's the Lord's Supper. A cup of juice, about three ounces, and a little cracker that's not even a cracker, you know. But yeah, the Lord's Supper, he says, When you drink this, do this remembrance of me. He says, This is the new covenant. And so he's basically promising that for every believer, I'm gonna come back and get my people. And that's a promise that he's made. But when we go through covenants, we're not really talking about specific covenants uh individual from the Bible. We're really talking about covenants that he has dealt with his people, us included. So the idea of a covenant, we're trying to help people realize that your relationship with God is a covenant relationship. So starting in October, October 3rd, we're gonna talk about what that means, covenant defined, uh look at some of those covenants, but really how we are in covenant with God Himself, uh Jesus, the covenant keeper, we just mentioned through the Lord's Supper. And October 17th, we're talking about the church and how the church is in a covenant with God. You guys know from Hebrews it says basically, you know, do not neglect the meeting together. And so God wants to bless his people. So he says one of the things you can do to keep that covenant is keep meeting together. And we meet together, you know, it's important to be the church. So I know a lot of you right now, you know, haven't been maybe in a while, or I don't know, maybe that code thing kept you at home, you know. But is it as you feel comfortable? We'd love to see you back, we'd love to have you back in person. There's just no substitute, you know, for neglecting meeting together. You have to be together to be the body of Christ and worship together. What I'm excited about is on October 24th, uh, we're talking about the marriage covenant. Would you guys agree that you guys are married, you ladies are married, that marriage is pretty tough?
SPEAKER_02: Yes. Yes, marriage is tough second maybe to parenting.
SPEAKER_00: I think it's harder than parenting. Marriage is pretty much the hardest thing we're ever gonna be asked to do. So, you know, we think we walk into marriage and we have all these goals and ideas, and we have a way in our mind we think it's gonna be, but then reality sets in, and that person's not as perfect as we thought. You know, and sometimes they they do things we didn't weren't we weren't aware of when we said ideas. That's true.
SPEAKER_02: There's also us and point those fingers back.
SPEAKER_00: So I remember one time we were living in Tennessee, we'd only been married a few years, and we had a few kids, and uh I'd go to work, I'd come home, you know, Joe would be home, she wasn't working at this time. And of course, I'd expect the house to be clean, right? And why is it dinner on the table? I don't understand. You've been here all day.
SPEAKER_02: I'm shaking my head.
SPEAKER_00: So true story, I come home from church work one day, and I come in the house, I walk up the stairs, we had a little split level house in our Tennessee house, and there are Cheerios all over the floor.
SPEAKER_02: Because there were children.
SPEAKER_00: Well, let me finish the story. And so she was in the room with the like the couple of small kids we had at the time, and so I would kind of got mad. I thought, why are there Cheerios on the floor? I mean, why wouldn't you just pick them up? So I took the whole box of Cheerios and I started walking around the house, and I just sprinkled Cheerios in every room. And by the time I made it to the bedroom she was in, and she saw that I was doing, she's like, What are you doing? I literally said this. I said, I'm just trying to fit in.
unknown: Yeah.
SPEAKER_02: You're still married.
SPEAKER_00: I'm still married, I'm still alive. True story that really happened. But you know what? Week we're talking about marriage. The idea is that uh marriage is a covenant that we're making with another person who's a sinner, just like us. And you put two sinners together, all you have is two sinners. And so both of us are not perfect. Now, to finish that story, Joe did tell me later that the kids had just spilt Cheerios, they just had cereal, and she cleaned it up. And as they went to the room, one of the kids must have gone back and dropped a few more. So, what I didn't know is she had spent all day cleaning, you know, and little did she know she didn't realize there were still Cheerios there, and she did give me mercy and didn't kill me on that particular night. I'm still breathing alive. So, y'all know the difference between a covenant and a contract?
SPEAKER_02: Well, it's tricky. Why don't you tell us?
SPEAKER_00: So, contracts between people or companies, you know, in a contract, both sides can actually break that contract. In other words, if I have a contract with Landon, you're gonna do this work, I'm gonna pay you this much, you know, I can keep my hand, but I can also break my end, and he can do the same. But in a covenant, a covenant with God, God actually can't break his side of the deal. So that's the difference when the covenant with God is even though we can break ours, he's faithful even when we are not. And so those four weeks we talk about covenant, you know, with Jesus, ourselves, our relationship with him, and in marriage, it's and the church itself really is all about the idea of how do I need to change my life, live my life, to do my best to keep my side of the covenant. Let's talk about Samson. So that's four weeks we're gonna talk about covenant, then we have three weeks of Samson. And so anybody got it.
SPEAKER_01: October 31st. Yes. Start Samson.
SPEAKER_00: What is that? Who's dressing up? That sounds like a holiday.
SPEAKER_01: Yes, it is a holiday.
SPEAKER_02: It's a fake holiday.
SPEAKER_00: It's a fake holiday.
SPEAKER_01: But you know, candy.
SPEAKER_00: It's the day before it's all saints day. That's the real holiday. So y'all gonna dress up that day at church?
SPEAKER_02: Samson, sure.
SPEAKER_03: I mean church clothes.
SPEAKER_00: That's how you dress up. I bet you Landon wears a hat that day. What y'all bet?
SPEAKER_02: A hat with a wig, yes. Oh, I like it. Yeah, hat with a wing.
SPEAKER_00: Well, y'all know the riddle. Out of the eater, something to eat, out of the strong, something sweet. Y'all remember that?
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_00: What's it from?
SPEAKER_02: It's it sounds like poop.
SPEAKER_03: Rumple still.
SPEAKER_00: It's not rumple still.
SPEAKER_02: But it's about honey. Pooh. And Winnie the Pooh.
SPEAKER_00: Pooh. Potty mouth.
SPEAKER_02: There's honey. Winnie the Pooh.
SPEAKER_00: It's not the jungle book. It's the book of Judges.
SPEAKER_02: I give you a hint.
SPEAKER_00: It's about Samson.
SPEAKER_02: Remember the wedding?
SPEAKER_00: He's on the way. First of all, it's a mess-up story because he's not supposed to be married in a Philistine. And didn't even ask his parents for permission. He told his parents he was going to go get this woman. And on the way there, he kills a lion. Then coming back, he sees the honey inside the lion.
SPEAKER_03: Yes.
SPEAKER_00: And so he grabs some honey and he's tells the wedding party this big riddle. And eventually his wife to be nags him so much he tells her. Of course, she tells all the other side, and chaos breaks out, and people are going to die because of this crazy thing. So Samson's whole life is just kind of up and down. Good news, bad news, failure. What are some of the things we're going to talk about with Samson?
SPEAKER_02: Samson really struggled with self-control. If you you can tell, he struggled with self-control throughout his whole life. Um, so that's what we're gonna focus on is our children need to learn self-control, and it's hard, it takes a lot of work. Um, even as adults, we need to practice self-control. So self-control is like a muscle. If you don't exercise it, you don't have any self-control. So I was looking around for something. What can I do with my kids to work on this? And focus on the family has a great resource through their kids of integrity, um, tools that they put together on self-control, so I can have some activities to do with my kids so we can work on this in a fun way.
SPEAKER_00: How do you how do you find that again?
SPEAKER_02: Focus on the family, kids of integrity. They have different traits, but this one is the character of self-control.
SPEAKER_01: We actually use a lot of that down in Blast Jr., the kids of integrity, on Wednesday nights, talking about the different um Bible characteristics. So, yes, self-control under kids of integrity is a really good one. Did you have an app as well?
SPEAKER_02: I had a podcast. Oh, podcast. I I say watch, but I listen to it because I understand you listen to podcasts and I just like watching them on my computer. But um, Christian Parenting has a perfectly imperfect um where Jay Holland uh talks about parenting on purpose. So being an intentional parent, and the focus is on self-control from January 10th, 2021. It's a really easy listen, and it encourages parents to take the reins on guiding their kids in self-control.
SPEAKER_00: Alright, so that's really the month of October, the first couple weeks of November, our next series we're walking through. And so that's four weeks about Covenant, and then three weeks about Samson and self-control, and also really just about priorities. You know, to me, he was a selfish guy. I mean, we all are. I mean, when you've been given great gifts and you misuse them, you know, that's that's bad for everybody around. Uh, so it's bad for him and his family and the whole nation in a lot of cases. So other things coming up we want to be aware of, parents. Uh we've got some SMAC has started. We've had our first one. Landon, what is SMAC and when's the next one they need to know about?
SPEAKER_03: So, SMAC is our Sunday mornings after church meetings for fifth graders. We uh meet here at the church after third service, we eat lunch, and we go on a trip around Tallahassee. We have five of them. We're gonna do two in the fall, three in the spring. And uh it's just a great opportunity to come and learn about our blast building blocks, which are respect, wisdom, grace, destiny, and perspective.
SPEAKER_00: So the next Mac was one in this series, October 24th. Yes, sir. So that's Mac number two, so that would be on wisdom.
SPEAKER_03: That would be on wisdom.
SPEAKER_00: Alright, so those are designed really to also help fifth graders get ready for middle school, kind of put them in a group so they know people when they go to student ministry. A few other things coming up. We've got the megastore. When is the store?
SPEAKER_03: The next megastore is December 5th, so you don't want to miss it. You have an opportunity to learn megaverses that we practice on Sundays and Wednesday nights. And if you can recite them at our uh check-in table, you can earn mega bucks points for the megaverses you say, so you can spend on some really cool prizes that we buy to reward the kids.
SPEAKER_01: And I hear parents can help earn points for their kids as well, right?
SPEAKER_03: Absolutely, Miss Sherry. Also, if you have family members, older brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, parents, you can bring them in. They can also say a megaverse to double the amount of points your kid has.
SPEAKER_01: Can we sing it?
SPEAKER_03: Oh, of course. We prefer you to sing it.
SPEAKER_00: Every Sunday, there are kids out there singing and humming and doing everything, saying scriptures. That's awesome.
SPEAKER_01: As long as you don't judge us on how we sing.
SPEAKER_00: No, of course not.
SPEAKER_01: We're at a church, we don't judge.
SPEAKER_00: Well, another thing they're learning this semester in Blast, we've also started our chapels with our kind of school and our after school programs. What are some other things we're learning in this semester in BLAST?
SPEAKER_03: So, one big thing that we're learning, Pastor Tommy, is our blast basics. We have 10 key questions that really help us in our Christian walk of life. For example, Pastor Tommy, where do we come from?
SPEAKER_00: In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
SPEAKER_03: That's right. What does God want from me?
SPEAKER_00: That's right. So there's a question and then there's an answer. Well, Elizabeth, where do we find those at? If I want to take them home.
SPEAKER_02: Well, every Sunday there is a children's bulletin, and I'm just gonna say they're really awesome. Well, you make them or something. Yeah, I kind of make in the children's bulletins, and they're fantastic. So the blast basics will be in the children's bulletin, along with fun kids' activities that um kids can do on Sunday when they're in worship, or take them home and enjoy more.
SPEAKER_00: Yeah, and it's it's a tool we really want kids to go to worship, you know, with their family. So if you go to blast, we'd love for you to stay an extra hour or the hour before we can go to church together. And one way that helps kids in there is to take that kid's bullets and and we've got some new stuff. We've got some clipboards they can grab.
SPEAKER_02: Yep, we'll have clipboards and colored pencils. Yes, no crayons. No crayons. That's too hard. No markers because nobody wants kids.
SPEAKER_00: You ever try to do a maze with a crayon?
SPEAKER_02: You get out of the way. No, it's tough.
SPEAKER_00: So colored pencils are better.
SPEAKER_02: Colored pencils are better, and it gives you more options than the three-pack of crayons.
SPEAKER_00: Where do they get those at?
SPEAKER_02: They will be getting those from the foyer when you walk into the worship center. We'll have a station with clipboards and pencils and the children's bulletins ready for everyone to pick up for their kids.
SPEAKER_00: Landing something else, they're learning in blast. Let's say it together. Ready, hands out. It says creation, fall, flood, nations. What is that?
SPEAKER_02: There's hand motions. You're missing the hand motions.
SPEAKER_00: Because you're not watching the podcast. You're not listening to the podcast.
SPEAKER_03: So, Pastor Tommy, that is our walk through the Bible. It's a chronological storytelling of just all the events that have happened in the Old Testament. So we can learn the books of the Bible, but it's also important to learn what happens in those books of the Bible.
SPEAKER_00: And if they say that at blast, they get 15. 15 points? Is it 10 points? Maybe 10. It's double a megaverse. It's 10 points. So just let's say that so they can do that, and a lot of them already know it. Don't forget to have them say that. That's important to get points for the store. So we do want to give away a prize for every podcast. So, Cherry, you were in charge of a prize this time. Yes. What are we going to give away?
SPEAKER_01: Oh, I'm really excited about it. Yes. Haircuts like that. We did talk about Samson haircuts. We talked about a gym membership. Gym membership that would employ. Build up your muscles.
SPEAKER_00: But we settled on.
SPEAKER_01: I think this is the super one because we are giving half off of our Sparks Fly marriage retreat that is happening February 4th and 5th. And I'm just so excited because it will be in Destin over at a nice hotel on the beach area. It's fancy. Yes. So it's really fancy. I mean, half off is like a$200 worth prize right there. That's just really good.
SPEAKER_00: That's really good. So if I'm listening to this podcast, how do I get my name in the hat for this prize?
SPEAKER_01: You can text 678-522-9355. Just text the word Cheerios.
SPEAKER_00: What? The keywords Cheerios?
SPEAKER_01: Yeah, you know. We wanted to just keep reminding poor Joe of what happened.
SPEAKER_00: Cheerios aren't even allowed in our house anymore, by the way.
SPEAKER_01: What that and glitter?
SPEAKER_00: Well, honey not Cheerios is fine, but regular Cheerios, they've been banned from the Hendrix house. So say that number again. How do I get in there?
SPEAKER_01: 678-522-9355.
SPEAKER_00: Well, team, anything else y'all can think of for October or November that a parent might want to be aware of in our children's ministry around here?
SPEAKER_03: One more thing I wanted to add is we do have Good News Club on Mondays from 3 to 4.30. So, parents, if your kids are not doing anything after school, here at Celebration, from 3 to 4.30, we have our Good News Club. It's similar to what we do on Sundays and Wednesdays. We learn about God, awesome stories in the Bible, play games, and hang out. So definitely sign your kids up online at goodnewsclub.org.
SPEAKER_00: So anybody can come.
SPEAKER_03: Yes, sir.
SPEAKER_00: Actually, they just sign up at the door.
SPEAKER_03: Right, walk in.
SPEAKER_00: Just walk in. Sign up right there.
SPEAKER_03: Just come see us. So anybody can get your rest.
SPEAKER_00: Every Monday there is school, we have good news. So if there's no school that day, then there's no club that day.
SPEAKER_03: That's right.
SPEAKER_00: Doesn't matter what school you go to, homeschool, anybody can come. So it starts now. It's happening right now.
SPEAKER_03: September 13th.
SPEAKER_00: Which is already happening.
SPEAKER_03: It's already happened.
SPEAKER_00: That's right. Alright, well good.
SPEAKER_01: Well, we also, just as a reminder, moms, we have a joy in the morning moms group every Thursday that meets at the church, and child care is available. And that is from 9:30 till right before 12 o'clock. It's a great fellowship for the women. You don't have to be a mom either to join.
SPEAKER_00: Do I have to be joyful to come?
SPEAKER_01: Yes, you should be joyful. If not, you'll be able to do it.
SPEAKER_02: If not, we'll bring the joy.
SPEAKER_00: The joy is there. I think it's a good idea. Okay. Well, thanks for tuning in to our parent podcast. We're glad you spent a few minutes with us. Hope you feel like you know what's around the corner now. And as always, any questions, please contact us. And so the keyword is. And uh somebody's gonna win. All right, thanks for being here.