SPEAKER_00: Welcome to the City Covenant podcast. We are a warm, welcoming church located in downtown Spokane, dedicated to practicing the way of Jesus in the heart of the city. Please join us as we dive into the Word of God together.
SPEAKER_01: My name's Ron. My wife Peggy and I are delighted to call this our church home. There's something very special about preaching anytime, but when you get to preach at home, that's the best. So today's a big day. Just all the way around. Big, big day. For one thing, my friends the prophets are here. Acknowledge, yeah. My friends the prophets are here, and John Prophet's birthday is today. So, hey, John, we yeah. Okay, so it's it's a big day, like I said, it's John Prophet's birthday, and then um there was something else about today. Uh oh, yeah, some people in Spokane take a walk. Uh I think it's called Bloomsday. And you know how the press has been celebrating these people called perennials? Perennials are people who have done Bloomsday every one of the 50 now days. You might not know I'm a perennial. This is the 50th consecutive year that I haven't done Bloomsday. So between John's birthday and Bloomsday and God's grace on us, and now the chance to hear God's word, it is a big day. Today we're going to continue our exploration of the book of Exodus. Today's passage is about God calling Moses into service. But the funny thing is, the passage is way more about God than it is about Moses. So, for those of you who like to take notes, and I encourage you to do so, even though there won't be a test. For those of you taking notes, I'm going to make this as simple as it could possibly be. I'm going to give you in one sentence what this sermon is about. Here's what the sermon is. The ways that God responds to Moses. The ways that God responds to Moses reveals how God shapes us. Reveals how God shapes us. The ways that God responds to Moses reveals how God shapes us. Now there you go. The rest of the sermon, the next 30 minutes or so, just a commentary on that sentence. This is not an invitation for you to take a nap. I encourage you to use your pew Bibles. We will be looking at those very carefully. And to pay attention because this story has a whole set of twists and turns, and by God's grace, insight. But here's the one thing I know for sure. If anything of significance is going to happen in the next little bit of time, it's because God fills this place, His Word, and our hearts and minds. This is the only way it happens. So, toward that end, will you please pray with me? Lord God, we need you. We need you to illumine our hearts and our minds. Give us ears to hear, hearts that are pliable in your hand. Lord Jesus, may you be exalted, and we be encouraged now in Jesus' name. Amen. So the context for our biblical passage this morning, you're going to be, um we're going to be looking at Exodus 3 and 4. So in your Pew Bibles, or a Bible if you brought from home, in the Pew Bible, it's page 49. We're going to start in chapter 3 and then transition to chapter 4. But in the Pew Bibles, page 49, Exodus chapter 3, the context for this passage is that God has called Moses, and Moses has resisted. He's resisted because he's insecure. So grab those Bibles and we're going to look at Exodus 3, verse 11. Exodus 3.11. Moses said to God, Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt? That's about as clear a statement of insecurity as you can have. God, who am I? And God responds with an assurance that is as profound and central to Christian life as you can possibly get. Follow me with the text, verse 12. And God said, I will be with you. That theme, I will be with you, rings throughout Scripture. From the very beginning, from the very beginning of creation. God has been with us. It culminates, of course, in the person of Jesus, who comes as Emmanuel. Even around his birth, we give him that name.
SPEAKER_02: God with us. God's with us when we feel insecure, and when we feel like we've got it together.
SPEAKER_01: God's with us when we're afraid and when we're secure. God's with us always. From his birth to his teaching, Jesus showed us what it meant to be God with us. Well, now that he's armed with that assurance of God's presence, God asked Moses to do something special. Back to chapter 3. Now we're looking at verse 16. This next part of the scripture was so beautifully read by my dear wife. Verse 16. Now, God has said, I get that you're insecure, but I'm going to be with you. And then God says, Go assemble the elders of Israel and say to them, The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, appeared to me and said, I've watched over you and I've seen what's been done to you in Egypt. I've promised to bring you up out of your misery in Egypt to the land flowing with milk and honey. What a perfect setup for success. It couldn't be better. Listen to this. God is with you. God has a promise and a plan for your salvation, and God has surrounded you with people who believe and support you. That's about as good as it gets. Ask any pastor I've ever met. That's ideal. What could possibly go wrong? Well, in a word, life. In a word, human beings who, although we are made in God's image, are quite familiar with a whole variety of sins.
SPEAKER_02: What could possibly go wrong? In today's sermon, we're going to see what happens when things seem to go wrong.
SPEAKER_01: Now, again, for those of you who are keeping notes, we're going to examine three ways that Moses objects to God's calling. And in each case, look at how God responds, because how God responds reveals how God shapes us. So, objection number one. Now we're at in chapter four. Chapter four, verse one. Moses answered God and said, What if they, now they is the elders of Israel, the people that God sent him to, or sent with him, what if they do not believe me or listen to me? And what if they say, The Lord did not appear to you? Now I don't know if you catch the irony in this, but this part is beautiful. Moses says, hey, what if they don't believe me or listen to me? Even though God just said, the elders are going to be, the elders will believe you. Remember verse 18, 3.18? The elders will believe you. And now you've got Moses going, yeah, I don't think so. You catch the irony here? This is exactly how God feels. Moses is going, hey, what if the elders don't believe or listen to me? And God's going, hey, what if Moses doesn't believe or listen to me? What do you do then? What if they don't believe now? Here's the thing. In Hebrew, this question that Moses asked, what if they don't believe or listen to me? Sounds like a question, but it isn't really. It's an assertion. A better translation of this verse would go something like this. Come on, God, you know they're not going to believe me or listen to me. It's way more an assertion than it is a question. So how will God respond to that? Look at verse 2.
SPEAKER_02: Then the Lord said to him, What is that in your hands?
SPEAKER_01: Now, most of the time in Scripture, when God asks a question, it's not because he doesn't know the answer. Most of the time, when God asks a question, he's preparing to reveal something. And that is exactly the case with what happens next. God says, What is that in your hand? And Moses said, It's just my staff. I use that staff over 40 years of shepherding, and it's become an important tool to me. It's kind of a comfort. It's part of who I am. It's just my staff.
SPEAKER_02: And God says, throw it on the ground. Notice this. God doesn't tell him why. And Moses doesn't ask.
SPEAKER_01: This is very important. Moses, for all his failing, is a perfect, perfect representation of us. Sometimes faithful, sometimes less so, always under God's presence. Moses doesn't know why, but he throws the staff on the ground. And watch what happens. So Moses threw it. I'm down here at verse 3 now. Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it. Then the Lord said to him, Reach out with your hand and take the snake by the tail. So Moses reached out and took hold of the snake, and it returned back into a staff in his hand. This, the Lord said, is so that they may believe that the Lord, the God of their fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, has appeared to you. Okay, this is a beautiful, beautiful scene. Moses throws his staff down, he doesn't know why. And God hasn't revealed why. By the way, this is a pretty good definition of faith. Faith is obeying before you know why. Moses threw the snake down, or threw the stick down, and it became a snake. And then he ran from it. No duh. Now here's the thing: the scripture doesn't tell us what kind of a snake or how big it was. But did you remember me telling you that Moses was a shepherd? He was used to being out in the wild where there are snakes and lots of other animals. It wasn't unusual for shepherds to kill lions with their hands. So we don't know what the snake looked like or how big it was, but it was big enough to make Moses run.
SPEAKER_02: Moses is 80.
SPEAKER_01: The scripture doesn't tell us how far he ran or how fast he ran. But what we do know is he ran, no stretching. The Bible didn't say anything about cramped legs or body aches. The next thing that Moses, that God tells Moses to do, is to pick up the snake by the tail. Now let's just stop here for a second. When I was in high school, I had friends, I swear to you, this is the truth, friends whose primary occupation was catching rattlesnakes at night. I never took part in this dubious pastime. But what I do know from talking with them over time is that the worst thing you can possibly do is pick up a snake by the tail. And you probably know why.
SPEAKER_02: Because the part that can bite you is still loose. You don't think that was unknown to God.
SPEAKER_01: You don't think God forgot how snakes behave. Why do you suppose he did that? Why do you suppose he asked Moses to do something that posed a risk to Moses? Because the question to Moses is the question to us.
SPEAKER_02: Will you trust me when you don't know why? And you don't know how.
SPEAKER_01: Moses didn't know at the time that the snake was going to turn back into a staff. He believed. But when Moses surrendered what he had to God in faith, God did extraordinary things with it. What's that in your hand, Moses? It's just my staff. That staff will be set apart for a new purpose. That staff is going to part the Red Sea. That staff is going to bring water out of a rock and participate in the plagues. What's that in your hand, David? It's just my sling. I couldn't move so well in the armor of Saul. And I've just got, it doesn't seem like much, just my sling and some stones. And with it he took down a giant. What's that in your hand, Paul? It's just my pen, a little bit of ink. With it he writes Christian theology. What is that in your hand, Mary Magdalene? It's an empty gravecloth. I came here to ex to explore the body, and here's what's left. It doesn't seem like much, it's linen, but the absent body tells you everything you need to know and what I will declare to the world. What is that in your hand, little boy? Ah, it's not much, it's five loaves and a couple of fish.
SPEAKER_02: And you know those loaves and those fish fed five thousand. Bring to God what you already have.
SPEAKER_01: Friends, we need to stop fixating on what we don't have and trust God with what we do have. I'm gonna tell you the truth. Everything that you need to be obedient to God today in faith is what you already have.
SPEAKER_02: So Christian, what is it that you have in your hand? What is it that you have in your hand?
SPEAKER_01: Not much. A couple of hours a week, just a few dollars, a couple of relationships, some morning prayer, a meal that is shared, a word of encouragement, some clothing.
SPEAKER_02: What's that in your hand?
SPEAKER_01: Eric, just a guitar? But with it, you praise God. What's that in your hand? Ilsa microphone? With it, you honor God.
SPEAKER_02: Here's the thing. Sometimes what you have to offer is painful.
SPEAKER_01: It doesn't all come out of joy. Sometimes what you have to offer is how God brought you out of your discouragement or met you in it. Sometimes all that you have to offer is those times when you felt like you were alone, even though God was with you. There's a book that an author named Henry Nowen wrote called The Wounded Healer. The Wounded Healer has exactly that premise. If you want to be part of God's healing in the lives of others, you do that better by wisely exposing some of the ways that you're broken, wounded, than you do by pretending you don't have that brokenness. So in verses three through nine, God uses three signs. We only looked at one. I encourage you to go back and read the rest of them. It's beautiful. But all of this was in response to Moses' first objection. What if they don't believe me? Now, at the outset of the sermon, what I promised you was we would look at three objections, and for each objection, we're going to look at how God responded and what that says about how God shapes us. So here you go. Objection number one was What if they don't believe me or listen to me? Here's principle number one for how God shapes our lives. God uses available and ordinary things to do the extraordinary. God uses the available. What do you give him access to? And the ordinary to do the extraordinary. So are we all up to speed so far? One objection, one response. Here comes objection number two. I am not eloquent. Commentators are not in complete agreement about what that means exactly. Many people suspect that Moses may have had a stutter. Or maybe he lost his capacity to use the Egyptian language because he's been exiled for a while. We don't know for sure. But what we do know is that Moses feels like I can't do this job.
SPEAKER_02: I'm not eloquent enough. So back to your Bibles.
SPEAKER_01: Verse 10. Moses, I'm in chapter 4, verse 10. Moses said to the Lord, Lord, I've never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since I've spoken to your servant, you've spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue. Now you want to brace yourself for what comes next. Because here's a basic rule of biblical interpretation. As soon as God starts using rhetorical questions, look out. You know rhetorical questions are the ones that sound like a question, but you already know the answer. Like it was a rhetorical question when your mother said, Who in the world do you think you are? Answering that question factually is a really bad idea. Because it wasn't a question, it was a statement. And now listen to what God says. Moses says, Sorry, God, can't do what you asked me to do because I'm not very eloquent. And God said, verse 11, who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go. Listen to this invitation. I will help you speak and will teach you what to say. Did you catch what just happened? The God of the universe has just offered to be the personal tutor of Moses. You feel like you're not eloquent enough? God says, okay, well, first of all, your lack of eloquence is not news to me. I'm the one who made you. And I made you imperfect.
SPEAKER_02: Or what seems like imperfect. You say you can't do it?
SPEAKER_01: No problem. I know who you are. I know what your skills are and aren't. I'll take care of that. I'll teach you myself. God promises to be the individual tutor for Moses.
SPEAKER_02: And Moses still declines.
SPEAKER_01: God's response to Moses in his second objection reveals the second principle for how God shapes our lives. Here it is.
SPEAKER_02: Principle number two It's not about you. God doesn't call perfect people.
SPEAKER_01: God supplies what you need to do what you're called to do. Do you believe that God speaks? When God promised Moses to give him words, you believe that God speaks? The clearest sign that you believe God speaks is that you listen. This raises a question that's been central in my professional and personal life for 40 years. If it's God who supplies the words, why do I need communication training?
SPEAKER_02: I have a PhD in rhetoric.
SPEAKER_01: Now before you start chuckling or whatever, rhetoric for 2,500 years in the West has been the study of how people influence other people, how to communicate effectively. Did I waste my time?
SPEAKER_02: I also have a graduate degree in theology. What does God have to do with rhetoric?
SPEAKER_01: If God provides all the words, why do you need training? So I did a weekend conference for pastors about communication principles for effective preaching. At the end of the weekend, a pastor came to me and said, Hey, thanks for coming. Can't help think, though, that all this was really quite unnecessary. Which I don't know how you feel, but after five sessions and you know a whole weekend devoted to this, that's a beautiful compliment. Can't believe, you know, I can't help thinking all this is quite unnecessary. So I'm a curious sort, and I said, Well, what do you mean? And he said, Well, it's God who changes people's hearts, right? And I said, Absolutely. And he went, Okay, well, if God wanted to, then I could stand up and read a phone book and people would be brought to Christ.
SPEAKER_02: Was he right? Yes.
SPEAKER_01: God can do whatever God wants to do. God will not be handcuffed by the presence or absence of my rhetorical expertise. God can do whatever God wants to do. Now, you know how you never think of the right thing to say in the exact moment? Usually you don't think of it till you get home. That's how it happened to me, too. So on the spot, I just sort of stood there dumbstruck. But when I got home, I realized what I should have done is to say, is it God who heals? To which I suspect he would have said yes. And I would say, I believe it too. And you know what? I bet if you're going in for open heart surgery, you want a trained surgeon standing over you with a knife. God could use the landscaper, God could use the cook. Now, here's the secret. This um transformed my personal and professional life. I pay attention to the skills that are needed for the task in front of me, not because God needs it, but because I want to be a good steward of what I'm asked to do. The issue is not what God needs, it's what I need to do to be a good steward. So thank you. That's very therapeutic. Now, now back to Moses. Objection number three. We're now at chapter 4, verse 13. Here's objection number three. Moses said, Lord, please send someone else to do it. Then the Lord's anger burned against Moses, and he said, What about your brother Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He's already on his way to meet you, and his heart will be glad when he sees you. You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth. I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do. He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth, and as if you were his God, you were God to him. Oh God, please send someone else. This is kind of an extension of the second objection, huh? Except here's the difference. With the first two objections, there was some cause for debate. Most of actually had a point that he could work through with God. Here, forget that. He's out of excuses. He just gets right down to it. I don't want to do it. Even though God promised to be his tutor, he goes, No, sorry, I'm out. Don't want to do it. And so now God's angry. I think God's angry, because after all that God has done, Moses still makes it about himself. Moses placed his own will above God's will. But God isn't completely done with Moses.
SPEAKER_02: God adapts.
SPEAKER_01: Even in the unwillingness of Moses, God adapts by involving Aaron, who will speak to people as if he were Moses' mouth. God promises to help both Moses and Aaron.
SPEAKER_02: It looks like including Aaron right now is the best decision that God can do. Notice this, however.
SPEAKER_01: So God says, okay, Aaron, all right, come aboard. I'm gonna help you both. But as the narrative unfolds, you rarely see Aaron do any of the speaking. It's Moses. God adapts. So Moses's third objection, please send somebody else, reveals the third principle that by which God shapes our lives. Here it is. God plans and yet chooses to work through humans. We're made in God's image with free will. That is so critical because without freedom, there's no love. And God loves us so much, He will adapt to even our shortcomings and our failings and meet us there and provide everything we need. So here it is, friends. Three objections and three responses. God bless you. As you make yourself in all your ordinariness, make yourself available to the God who uses imperfect people. Please pray with me. Lord, thank you for your word. It is a light to our path. Thank you for being patient with us as you are with Moses. And thank you for including us in whatever ordinary ways that is, that we might glorify you, which is our purpose. In Jesus' name. Amen.
SPEAKER_00: Thank you for listening. Please join us in person for community worship, the breaking of bread, and prayer. We are located at 512 South Bernard Street, Spokane, Washington, 99204.