All the Upgrades & Traveling With Kids Who Have Special Needs
July 28, 2023
In this episode, I chat with Special Education Intervention Specialist (and my wife/P2), Jessica Petrovic, about our recent trip to the Andaz Mayakoba in Mexico and how we navigated various obstacles.
NEWS & ENHANCED OFFERS
- Joe -
- How I saved 12K Rapid Reward points
- What did I book for 19K AA miles
- Jessica -
WHAT BONUSES DID WE GET?
- Jessica - Hilton Surpass arrived - what plans do we have?
HIGHLIGHT (Main Feature) Andaz Mayakoba Vacation
- The perks - Sapphire Reserve (Priority Pass) Breakfast at Bar Symon saves $80-90 for the family
- Flight over - Cancelled UA Award flight using 70K miles and rebooked $810 Cash
- Applied 20 PlusPoints (upgrade instrument) per person for Jessie and Noah
- Complimentary Premier Upgrade (CPU) for P4 and me
- CUN Arrival - Passport Control - How was it?
- Transfer - USA Transfers - Experience?
- Andaz Mayakoba arrival -
- 155K Hyatt Points (6 nights off-peak for 21K per night, and 1 night at peak 29K)
- Used Suite Upgrade Award Milestone benefit (first earned at 50 nights and again at 60 nights) to upgrade to “Standard” suite. Choice of Lagoon or Oceanview. Chose Oceanview.
- Offered an upgrade to Ocean Front for $200 per night (really about $250 after taxes and fees), which included butler service. What is butler service, and is it worth it?
- Summer Weather
- Globalist Breakfast
- Free Bikes - 5-7 min ride from breakfast to La Playa
- Free Golf cart rides - you want to walk?
- Free ecotour - boat ride
- Activities for kids 12 and under
- Cost of service - pesos vs dollars
- Should families consider this resort +/-
- My tour of Mayakoba, El Pueblito, Banyan Tree & Saffron (Thai)
- Flight Home - cancelled UA award flight home using 80K miles and rebooked $715 flight home
- Used 20 PP per person for Jessie and P3 - instant upgrades (PZ2) over a week out
- Used 20 PP per person for P4 and me to get the #1 & 2 upgrade spots and cleared at check-in
- CLE arrival - backwards process
- how was clearing customs
- Used Amex Platinum and Business Platinum to pay for GE for both kids ($200) - how was the process?
- What about TSA?
Where To Find the Award Travel 101 Community
For questions, you can join us in the free 100,000+ member Award Travel 101 Community.
- For more intermediate and advanced strategies, join Award Travel 201 community
- To book time with our team, check out Award Travel 1-on-1.
- You can also email us at email@example.com.
- Our next meetup is located in San Antonio, TX on April 26–28, 2024, and it's SOLD-OUT. You can get on our wait-list, but to learn more visit Taco 'Bout A Fiesta!
Support the AT101 Podcast/Community