My guest today is the Director of Business Development at one of my favorite organizations called Pledge It. He was the Managing Director of the Weinstein Carnegie Philanthropic Group, Co-Director of the Sports Philanthropy Executive Certificate Program at GWU School of Business, Advisory Board Member of Kids Play International, and VP and Board Member of Derek Jeter’s Turn 2 Foundation.
Last episode you heard from a 2x NFL Super Bowl winner, in this GivBk Sports Podcast episode you’ll hear from an esteemed member of the sports philanthropy world, and perhaps more importantly, a new father. I’m of course referring to, Mr Todd Smith!
Notes & Highlights
· 0:06:46 NBA’s Biggest Fan’s initiative
· 0:09:42 1st public campaign on Pledge It with Devon Still was a baptism by fire
· 0:16:40 Competition and performance-based fundraising is why Pledge It exists.
· 0:27:30 Larger than life athletes like Derek Jeter that are humble enough to recognize their ability to positively influence people, inspire us to always strive to do more.
· 0:31:15 Not all superheroes wear capes, some wear jerseys
· 0:40:05 V Foundation was my first exposure to sports philanthropy, Cuisine for a Cure
· 0:46:15 Happy to report that most players demand that their agencies facilitate a way to GivBk to their community and make that part of their brand