Conversations About Student Mental Health
School Refusal: A Parent's Perspective
August 22, 2019
Christopher J. Leonard, MSW, LCSW, M.ED
In this episode, Chris Leonard talks with a parent of a student who struggled with school avoidance. This is an increasingly common problem faced by students, families, and school districts, and one that’s challenging to overcome. Laura describes her daughter Kelly’s battle with school avoidance and shares the intervention strategies that ultimately helped Kelly get back to school.
- How school avoidance is different from truancy.
- The warning signs that a student may be on the path to school refusal.
- The most common underlying causes of school avoidance.
- What doesn’t work with students suffering from school avoidance.
- Specific things parents and schools can do to help the student return to school.