The Cloudcast #284 - 2016 Review & 2017 Predictions
Dec 28, 2016
Aaron Delp and Brian Gracely
Aaron and Brian review the state of The Cloudcast, review the biggest stories in 2016, and make predictions about 2017.
- Listens up 70% YoY; 50 Shows in 2016
- 2017 will be the 7th year of the show.
- Thank you to 2016 Sponsors: Intel Cloud For All, Service Now
- [DONATIONS] Krispy Kreme Challenge 2017
- Most Popular Shows: Serverless, DevOps, Containers, Microservices) - all time shows all in 2016
- VC Funding + M&A activities: now over $7.6B ($2.65B VC, $4.98B M&A, 25 acquisitions) - last year closed just north of $5B.
- The Cloudcast listed on several “watch lists” for Blogs/Podcasts
- ServerlessCast (@serverlesscast) shows (red logo) in your pod-catcher
- Weekly | Bi-Weekly “what to watch” shows ~ 10mins - (blue logo) in your pod-catcher
- “The Technical MBA” project
Looking Back at 2016:
Tech Acquisitions + M&A + IPO:
- Oracle bought NetSuite (SaaS consolidation)
- Dell finalized acquisition of EMC/VMware/Pivotal (Hardware consolidation)
- Nutanix IPO (down about 23%)
Software-Eating the World M&A:
- Unilever acquires Dollar Shave Club (personality, online only)
- Walmart acquires Jet (like Amazon.com)
- GE Digital acquires ServiceMax (field services via cloud)
- Capital One gives away Echo at AWS re:Invent
Prediction Topic 1 - Technology
- Enterprises and the Public Cloud - how does this evolve?
- Containers (ecosystem)
- AI, Machine Learning, Data Gravity
- SDN? Remember that?
- (Hyper) Converged Infrastructure
Prediction Topic 2 - The Economy
- VC funding has been down. Do we see fire-sale acquisitions?
- Have VC moved out of the segment that we discuss on The Cloudcast?
- Will more legacy vendors go private-equity (eg. Cisco, Juniper, NetApp, etc.)?
- Most have thrown in the towel on visions of public cloud
- If the economy goes bad, does that help SaaS or IaaS more (capex vs. open)?
Prediction Topic 3 - Politics
- Will Trump pick a fight with Jeff Bezos?
- Will regulation impact things like autonomous driverless vehicles?
- Will there be any efforts to encourage work outside the major tech areas?