Ten Construction Document Abbreviations Explained
Removing the mystery of the alphabet soup.
1.CD: Construction Documents. The 100% design plans & specifications that were issued for the bid of a project.
2.SPEC: Project Specifications. A book, usually including several volumes, that outlines, in detail, the scopes of work divided by discipline. Electrical work is defined as Division 26, Communications as 27, and Fire Alarm as Division 28.
3. AFR: Architect's Field Report. This form maintains a record of site visits or daily log of construction activities.
4. RFI: Request For Information. This form is used to formally request further information from a party during construction. This is a tool to bring document errors and omissions to the designers attention and typically generates a project change.
5, ASI: Architect's Supplemental Information. Used by the architect to issue additional instructions or interpretations, or to order minor changes in the work.
6. PR: Proposal Request. This form is used to obtain price quotations required in the negotiation of change orders.
7. RFP: Request for Proposal. Same as a PR. A proposal is a cost breakdown of materials and labor in response to a project change usually generated buy a request for information. Sometimes these proposals get volleyed back and forth between the design team and the subcontractor a few times to make sure everyone's being honest with the pricing and credits.
8. CCD: Construction Change Directive. A directive for changes in the Work for use where the owner and contractor have not agreed on proposed changes in the contract sum or contract time. Construction Change Directive, Construction Manager-Adviser Edition . This form is used for any sized project used as directive for changes that need to be done quickly when the parties have not reached an agreement yet when the construction manager is an adviser.
9. CO: Change Order. This form can be used on any sized project to make amends on an owner/contractor agreement when parties agree to the terms of change.
10. C-of-O, TCO: Certificate of Occupancy, Temporary Certificate of Occupancy.