Speaker 1: Welcome to the First Love Church podcast. This is a collection of Sunday teachings inspired by the Revised Common Lectionary and recorded weekly in Ocala, florida. We're so grateful that you're here this morning, in this house, in the presence of love, in the presence of God, in the presence of one another. One of the things that storms do to us is make us kind of hunker down and we stay close to our own proximity, and so the beauty is that, though we've all went through that storm, that we get to see each other and see the goodness of Jesus among us, the goodness of peace that is already here, and so I welcome you this morning in that peace. For everyone who is here in person, we say thank you For people that we haven't seen in a while, for friends that have come, thank you. And for those of you online who did such a beautiful job of praying for us, supporting us. I want to tell you that some of the people online in our church congregation were the first to reach out and say please tell us how everyone is. We have been praying and we have been sending love and mercy toward you, so I'm so grateful for all of those things. This morning, I set our hearts and our souls together, o Christ, who came to set your people free, now break the chains of death that wreck this world. Unmake the works of death which have unmade so much of what you first created. That was all good, all that is not anchored in you or unmoored, o Christ, all life that is not hidden in your life but is another shade of death. Now move us to a right grief, o God, over pain and loss and suffering occasioned by all in this world that stands in opposition to your life-giving rule and authority, by all that fall short of your glory, whether in our own hearts, our choices, or in the hearts and in the choices of those around us, in our shared structures, in our nation, in our world, all forms of calamity, violence, storms, whether birthed in the human heart or from the groanings of the natural world that is longing for redemption. Even now, o Holy Spirit, be at work within us, rending the very roots of our insurrections. Upend all remnants of death's profane kingdom, bursting all bonds that hold long thrall to that cruel throne. Just as sin once reigned over us in death, now, o Lord, let your magnificent grace reign over us Through righteousness. Bring us eternal life Through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Act swiftly, o Christ. Haste the day when your kingdom has not merely broken into this broken world but is fully realized among us, complete. Haste the day when your will is carried out presently and perfectly in this wounded earth, as it is in your eternity. Haste that day, o Lord. Speed the hour when bombs and bullets serve no further purpose, when mechanisms of violence and strategies of war are forever buried beneath a glad flourishing of all peoples in an eternal age of peace. Haste the day when we suffer no further loss or harm, no numbing news of shock, widespread death or senseless killing. Haste the day when all children make it home safely, when there will be no fear, no ill intent, no long nights spent with unknowing. Haste the day when parents who are now bereft receive again the daughters and sons who have left this life too soon. Haste that day, o Lord. Inaugurate an age when those who would inflict hurt have instead been healed of their harms long before they would become so twisted to visit pain on another. Haste the day, o Lord, when those who sorrow reap joyful harvests. Haste the day when sad endings are finally ended, when to love another person no longer presupposes an eternal passage through pain, through death through tears or separation. Haste the day, o Lord, Remake the world, reclaim your creation, destroy death forever. O Lord, remake the world, reclaim your creation, destroy death forever, o Christ, and give your children resurrected joy in your resurrected life. Amen and amen. One of the things that we do together when we gather on Sunday mornings is we remind ourselves that there is another story, there is a better and a greater story that God is telling and that God intends to tell through each one of us and through the love that is present in our world. God is here today, present today, present with us in the lives and in the persons of people around us who are made in the very image of God. And together we gather into this sacred space, into this holiness, and we seek a word from the Lord. When we gather this morning, we come into God's house in many different states. Some of us have had an incredible week, others of us have suffered. We come into God's house in many different states. Some of us have had an incredible week, others of us have suffered and some of us still suffer. And so it is with great tenderness and with great gentleness we call you into the Father's house. You are loved and you are worthy of belonging because you are made in the image of God and God loves all that God creates. I have been so excited to share with you this morning, especially since, while the power is out, you can still read, usually as long as it's not dark, and maybe even with your flashlight. You can still read, usually as long as it's not dark, and maybe even with your flashlight, and there is so much hope sometimes in the wisdom that is given to us through the written word and through the hope of Christ. And so this morning's text comes from the book of Hebrews, and we're going to talk about a text that might be really, really familiar to you. In fact, maybe, if you haven't even read the entire letter to the Hebrews, you may have heard this particular verse. But I ask the Holy Spirit here this morning to reanimate the text, for us to maybe unveil our eyes so that we can see something that maybe we have never seen before. And I encourage you to open the eyes of your heart so that you see with your heart, and open the ears of your heart so that you hear a deeper truth and a deeper meaning. One of the ways that we open the ears of our heart is listening to children who do not speak yet, like Sawyer and Dwayne, who's in absolute peace and presence because he's with his parents, and I remind you that all of us have eternal parents that love us and that are welcoming us back into the arms of Christ, back into the arms of God and his goodness. At this particular time of the year, we are in ordinary time in the church calendar, and this is for us a practice, a holy practice, of how to find God in the ordinary, how to practice our faith in such a way that, even the mundane things that we do, we recognize the sacredness and the holiness I was thinking about. One of the things that I talk about frequently is how nature testifies to us of God, and this week all of us understood the testimony of the power of wind, and the wind was making noises that I am unsure of and that made me feel a certain way, and one of the things that we do when we come together is we remind ourselves that each one of us experienced that same wind, all of us here this morning, and yet here we are, safe in the presence of love that each one of us experienced that same wind, all of us here this morning. And yet here we are, safe in the presence of love, peace with you, those of you who have been in the storm. I love that the Gospels tell us over and over again the story of our Jesus, and the people who are with Jesus are constantly facing storms, and so one of the things that I love about the text that we have as sacred scripture is that people have been experiencing this since people have been here. I was thinking this week of Job and I was kind of thinking about the whole summary of that book is it's not fair? And I was thinking and Job is the very, very earliest text we have, and so from the very beginning, people have been saying, hey, what happened to me is not fair, what happened in my life is not fair, and people have had a narration, people have told a story to themselves and even to others, and that particular story reminds us when we stand before God. There are things that we do not know. There are things. I love that one part in Job where he finally stand before God. There are things that we do not know. There are things. I love that one part of Job where he finally gets before God and he says his case In this one particular portion of Job. He says listen, I know that this is so bad for me. If I told anyone, you would agree with me. You would know that this is really horrible and that's not wrong. Job really did suffer horribly. People around us suffer horribly. You have suffered horribly and often, when it is not your doing, you have suffered because of someone else. And Job reminds us that there is a God who is present, who is listening and who reminds us Were you there when I made the hippo? Do you know where I keep the storehouses of snow? Do you know the garage that I keep the lightning bolts in? Job begins to ask God and God reminds him of his power and of his might and of his goodness. And I remind you that God is love and that God loves you. And though we experience might and power, love is the mightiest, is the biggest, is the most powerful force in this world. In Hebrews, chapter 4, verse 12,. For the word of God is alive and it's powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow, and it exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. This is an invitation to really even know ourselves deeper than we know, is to allow the scripture, to allow the Holy Spirit to show us ourselves. I mean, he begins to use these beautiful images. How do you cut between soul and spirit? How do you slice between joint and marrow? These are things that are so intertwined, and sometimes even the stories we tell ourselves about ourselves are so intertwined with stories that culture and that others have told us and that we need God to retell us the beautiful story that God was telling in creation and that he's inviting us into his kingdom.
Speaker 2: I'd like for you to remind you of a time in your life maybe when you've had that experience where you read something and it just brought a conviction to you or brought a realization that something needs to change, and then along with it comes the power to do so. Comes the power to do so, and I think that we forget that God brings the transformation in our lives. Sometimes we want to drum it up ourselves or we can even sit around going I really wish I could do better at this or change this. And I just want to remind you that that living word brings change. And as we posture ourselves to to learn, like, do we, do we make time for that in our scrolling through videos? And and then just me no, not you, I'm not looking at anybody uh, oh, and all my scheduling and planning and uh stuff, do I, do I take time for that? Because that has really been the marked moments in my life have, really, when that inward conviction comes so strong and just the pathway out seems to be lit all at once. And if you've had that experience before, make no mistake, the living word will do that again. I just have to remember to give opportunity and not allow it to be choked out by distraction, one of the things Dallas Willard said that we kind of say all the time that we should ruthlessly root out, hurry in our lives. You know we should. The distraction that comes from always being late for something, or always being behind the eight ball, as it were. You know, and finding that place in god, being present with god, where I can have peace right now I don't have to worry about the past and I can't change the future and I can just allow um the spirit to do a surgery in my heart. Do we give opportunity for that? That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: One of the things that we do together, as we come together, as we listen to the words, as we let the spirit remind us, is I was thinking, when you were just talking right now about there was a explorer who had gone into and I don't remember which one it was, but it was an English explorer and he had gone into and I don't remember which one it was, but it was an English explorer and he had gone into this forest to look for some particular thing and he had hired a group of local people to carry his things and to help him and to guide him. And he said they went three days and then, all of a sudden, everyone stopped and he said well, come on, we have to go much further. And everyone there stopped and they just sat down and they wouldn't move. And he said well, come on, we have to go much further. And everyone there stopped and they just sat down and they wouldn't move. And he's like I don't know what happened. This is not where I want to be. I have much further to go, but we all have to leave. And at one point somebody said to him we are stopping because we are giving our souls a chance to be able to catch up with us, and I was thinking about. That's kind of what every Sunday does for us. It's supposed to give our souls a chance to catch up with the busyness and the hurry and the panic and the prepare and the do and the do, and then in the Sabbath rest, we remind ourselves that we are loved by God, that we belong in community and in God and there is a hope for us. There I was the other night. It was very late. I sometimes between 2 and 4 a. And there is a hope for us. There. I was the other night. It was very late. I sometimes between 2 and 4 am. I am up, and maybe by spirit, maybe by menopause, I don't know, but it is happening. And so, as I'm up, I often read. And Dennis passed at one particular time, I think it was close to four o'clock, and he said what are you reading? And then, as he came back, I said actually I was reminding myself of the scripture that said that we can be transformed by the renewing of our mind. Beloved, we are a resurrection people. When we look at death, we remember this is not the end, this is merely a pause. This is not the end. But there are things in our life that have died. Some of them need to die because we are a resurrection people. Let it die and let God bring birth to it. Let it be recreated, let it be renewed. And so this idea, though, for our minds, for us as people who are people who want transformation, we have to be people who are willing to let go of ideas that have kept us where we are. Jesus said this I want you to think a higher thought. Come and live a life of repentance. Allow your thoughts to become God's thoughts. In fact, the prophet Isaiah says that God says my ways are not your ways. Well, we like our ways because we know them and we know the result. And even if we don't like it, we're like it's predictable, and sometimes that feels good. And even if we don't like it, we're like it's predictable and sometimes that feels good. And God says my ways are completely different than your ways and my thoughts are higher than your thoughts. And this is why God has given us God's own spirit, to allow us to have thoughts that are higher, that are better and that are more loving toward ourselves and the world. The word of God is alive and it is powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword cutting between the soul and the world. The word of God is alive and it is powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword cutting between the soul and the spirit, between joint and marrow, and it exposes our innermost thoughts and desires, and nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Be mindful of that, because sometimes we tell ourselves God is not watching or God did not see. Of that, because sometimes we tell ourselves God is not watching or God did not see. Beloved, god is watching, god is watching everything, but God is not watching the way that maybe you have been told God is watching or I was told God is watching. I grew up in the church and since I was a tiny little girl, I grew up under the tutelage of people who read me scriptures like this God is watching. But often the tale that God is watching was told in such a way to make sure that my behaviors were a certain way that there is nothing that you and it was had a little bit of a sting to it. You see, your agreement means somebody else told you like that, god, god is watching, god is watching, god is watching. I didn't like that it felt burdensome to me that everything I did I was being watched and I didn't want to use it, but I did, sometimes to my own advantage, and one time it was with Silas, who will not, who will allow me to say this. He was very little and he was doing something and I left the room and I said remember, god is watching. I didn't mean to do that because I didn't like it when somebody said that to me and he said to me yes, I know, it's because I'm dearly loved. 100% right. That is why God is watching, not to get you, not to judge you, not to see that you're wrong, because you are dearly loved. If any of you do not know what that looks like, you can look at Dove, look at Dwayne. If you do not know what it's looked like to have someone look at you because you are dearly loved, that is how God watches you, not so that you make a mistake, not because you are up to no good, but because love is watching over us. Love is present with us, love is bringing us. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are all accountable. That is good news, beloved. Nothing happens to you. You do not do anything that love does not see and that love will take account of. Now, if you are up to no good, pay attention to the tone of my voice. There is a day. There is a day coming. It is throughout scripture where you will be accountable, but good news you will be in the presence of perfect love. Good news Jesus is the one that you are accountable for and accountable to, but each one of us will be held accountable. Since then, we have a great high priest who has entered heaven Jesus the Son of God. Let us hold firmly to what we believe. Again, this is almost the gospel story in these short verses, reminding us of the fact that Jesus, the Son of God, came to us. God made God's self low and came to us In fact, we're going to celebrate the Advent season soon, and this is a reminder for us. Low and came to us. In fact, we're going to celebrate the Advent season soon, and this is a reminder for us that God came to us. Wherever you find yourself in a dirty manger, god is present with you. There too, in trouble, god is with you Every place you are. There is no place that love will not come and be with you.
Speaker 2: You know, when we look at this verse here that tells us to hold firmly to what we believe, I think you know I've looked at that in times past, like the idea that you know I have this responsibility to make sure I know what I believe and I better confess it right, I better say it right and then if I do everything just right, you know, dot all my i's and cross my t's, then then maybe I'll I'll be okay with god. Um, uh, and I want to. I want for you to consider maybe that in the light of love, would that maybe be saying to you that when the winds blow, that holding tightly to this is your anchor. You know that. Hey, you know Jesus is the high priest and you know that he's completed the work on the cross. He said it was finished. You know the debt is paid for. I don't have to carry shame, I don't have to produce some kind of penance for this. It's been handled and I hold on to that. When I'm discouraged, or even in the midst of doubt, I choose, I choose. You know, that's kind of a thing I I've felt a lot of times like in my doubting I've disappointed god and I. I had an experience one time where I confessed it to to one of my elders and, uh, they said to me that, uh, the the beauty is that even in that doubting, you still turn to God and that God celebrates Not the fact that you doubted, but that, even in doubt, when you could have chosen another way, you chose God, and God celebrates that so good.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say. When we doubt, I remind you, beloved, that means you're using your brain, that means you're fully aware of what's happening. Doubt is not this horrible thing, but you should doubt your doubts. You should always ask yourself why don't I believe, why can't I mean doubt, doubt, doubt and doubt until you come back to the fact. But pay attention to the fact that our humanity is to be celebrated, not dismissed, not in a place where you can't Now, then that means you're not awake, beloved, wake up. This is the life that Christ has given us. Our doubts matter. It means that we're using our intelligence. In fact, one of the things that Jesus tells us is this very ancient invitation by God to love the Lord, your God, with all your mind. What does that mean? To bring your questions, to bring your doubts, to bring all of it before the Lord. And I love this invitation. And when I hear this, it says let us hold firmly to what we believe. The word what is a difficult translate here? And we should remind ourselves that this is not the language that the book was written in or that this text was written in. It has been translated and translated, and translated, and to our language that is so different than the original language. And actually, when we get to the very root of the original language, it says let us hold firmly to whom we believe. The what beloved is not important, it is whom we believe. It is Christ that we believe in, and we see that, based in the context of this verse, that that is the subject matter, that Christ, the high priest and I was also reminded of the fact that this text was written to people who were in a culture that understood a priestly forgiveness, or this is how sins worked and this is how you were forgiven. As part of their culture, that's what they knew. I was even considering the fact that you know, together we pray the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray, and it is remarkable that the disciples asked Jesus teach us to pray. They knew how to pray. They, in fact, since they were small boys, had learned at temple how to pray. Their parents told them how to pray, but they looked at the life of Jesus and they said Huh, now there's something we don't have. You teach us to pray, rabbi. And Jesus teaches us to pray this prayer. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us of our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And, culturally, the Caesar, rome, said we're going to give you free bread and we're going to forgive your debts. Just think about it for a minute, because we are on this side of history and so sometimes when we read the text, we read it with a slant, because we're there. The people there heard Rome say, hey, we're going to give you free bread and we're going to forgive your debts. And they may have been hopeful. They may have said, oh, this is good news, then it's not an oppressive government. Maybe the free bread and them forgiving our debts will be a wonderful thing. But Jesus knew we cannot trust those things. And Jesus said ask God for the bread you need, ask God for the liberation that you have. That is this understanding. But culturally, these people would have understood there is a system of a priest who comes and who offers intercession for you and then who advocates on your behalf. And so when the author is saying here Jesus is the one who will intercede on your behalf, jesus, who is from heaven, has returned to heaven. In fact, there are scriptures that tell us that Jesus lives ever to make intercession for us. There is an eternal advocate that we have. In fact, when you think that the world is against you and no one is on your side, remind yourself of this truth. You have an advocate with the Father Jesus, the righteous one, and these are the things that we hold fast to Whom we believe in. We believe in love and in love's power, and in the power of Christ to heal, to sustain and to bring us, but hold firmly. One of the things that helps in community is when we feel like we are losing our grip or our arms are too weak, we cannot hold on. There is someone who will reach a hand across and help us hold on to the faith that we have in Christ Jesus, in the beauty of Christ, this high priest of ours understands our weaknesses. This is such a beautiful understanding for us. Jesus knows Christ, knows God, knows Spirit, knows what it is like to suffer, like you suffer. Jesus knows what it is like to have anxiety in your body. Jesus knows what it is like to have plans for people that are good and have someone twist them and turn them around. Jesus knows what it is like to have family and have wanting, good and beautiful plans and yet they do not go by the plan that you have for them and they face difficult things. Whatever it is that we are suffering, we have a God who knows what it is like, who does not diminish our humanity, but entered our humanity and said this is what it's like to be fully God and fully human. He understands our weaknesses. We pause here for a moment to thank you for joining us today. If you're finding this episode meaningful, would you take a moment to share it with a friend? This podcast is made possible thanks to the generosity of people just like you. If you would like to support the ongoing work of First Love Church and the continued work of our podcast, visit us online at firstlovechurchorg, reminding you to like, follow and subscribe.
Speaker 2: You know, and I like this part here which says yet he did not sin. And you know, I think for many of us we look at that and go, okay, well, you know, that's the redemption. He didn't sin, so then it made him eligible. So we create a doctrine, you know, that's why we're eligible. You know he's God. He can do it every once. So I wonder if we just like to excuse that verse instead of really looking at what it is. He didn't sin, and do you know that? Not only is he your advocate, but he's your example. So if God has set an example for you of not sinning, that means you can not sin. Nobody likes that verse because we want the excuse. And and uh and uh. You know Heather was referring to Job. The Bible says Job didn't sin. Uh, there's two. Why don't you make it three? I really want us to to. You know, if I was going to trick you into sin, I would first tell you there's no way out of it. There's no way around it. You're just in it and you're never going to get out of it. But what if we could look at Jesus not sinning and say there's a path? And if I would get closer to that path, I'd get closer to not to not sinning. I really want us to to look at that idea that that maybe sin isn't just this thing that you have to do constantly or struggle in, but that there is a way of escape. Job didn't sin. He was a righteous man. The Bible says Jesus without sin. But Jesus didn't constantly put himself in situations where he was real close to it or didn't kind of accept the fact. Well, I'm in a fallen world, so I guess that's just how I'm going to be, and really that's what we do, don't we? Now I'm not saying that you have to do this and I'm not saying that God is demanding this of you for his pleasure. And I'm not saying that God is demanding this of you for his pleasure, but I'm asking you to consider how much of your pain in your life comes from your own sin, your own choices. So I'm not talking about you know your position with God, that's been established. I am talking about what if my selfish desires that hurt my children or my wife? What if I did less of those? What if I aimed to not be that kind of person? Well, even if I missed the mark, I'm aiming and I'm getting closer towards that, for before doubling down on the fact that, well, I'm just a sinner, so I'm gonna do it, do you see what I'm saying that? What if we really looked at the power of god? We're talking about this power of transformation through the word, that the spirit is alive, and we read these things and then we go off and just live exactly the same, or we could say you know what? No, I, I believe that that god is transforming me and I'm a little bit more like God today than I was yesterday and, god willing, tomorrow I'm going to be a little bit more like Jesus and that there is a strength and a power to choose God's path and to choose the way of Jesus. You guys are looking at me like I'm insane. Am I saying something crazy up here?
Speaker 1: No, they're paying attention oh is that what it is? I'm thinking about it, I want to go back, because Are they? Yeah, they are, I'm sensing it is. The idea, though, for many of us is sin is a bunch of rules, and we just cannot keep up with all of the rules, and those are all the sins. And I remind you that sin is simply this, and this is the text. This is not my interpretation of it, it is the text. Sin is this. You have missed the point. Well, none of us want to miss the point. In fact, jesus came and lived so that we could see the point. The point is life with God. The point is God's kingdom coming. The point is this creation. The point is we're here. And when you are selfish, oh honey, you've missed the point. The point was generosity. Oh, the point was not to live with clenched fists, but to live open-handed. The point is not just to live so that your life flourishes, but that you're part of the flourishing of all people. And don't miss the point and Jesus reminds us that the only way that we can do that is through Jesus. That Jesus said I am the way, I am the truth, I am the life, the path to meeting the mark, to being this hope, to not missing. The point is Jesus, and Jesus shows us how to live, and we're reminded that Jesus, who shows us how to live, doesn't show us from outer space how to live, doesn't show us from the cosmos how to live, shows us how to live when he has a bunch of brothers who are probably not doing what they said they were going to do. I don't know jesus's brothers, but I have a brother, and sometimes brothers will tell you one thing and they'll do another. I don't know just mine, but this has happened, and maybe sisters the same way, and maybe we have brothers that are not just our real family, but all of our families, and we're saying, yeah, I'll, I'll do that. And you're like, well, you said you would do it, I counted on you, and now you're not going to do this. And then, all of a sudden, I've missed the point. Now I am judging my brother instead of living in the same love, and that we miss each other's hearts in so many ways. And God is inviting us to be transformed, to be resurrected, and we do this by following love's way. Jesus does not look down at our humanity and go well, that was wow. Yeah, jesus actually came and was born into us. God lowered God's self and said I'll come and I'll live among you and I'll show you how to live and how to live and not miss the mark, and how to live so that the whole world flourishes. I love the gospels and the teachings of Jesus and how people that Jesus followed and people that were following Jesus, how they together are learning things and what they're doing and Jesus's disciples are. They're a crew. I am not kidding, I would not pick like that and that's why I am not the living Christ. I need to be transformed, because if you pick a team like that, there's already infighting. There just is. I mean, one of them's a zealot. Come on, do we got to have the zealot on our team? I mean, these people are so worked up about everything. I mean, yes, it's bad, but we don't have to overturn everything. I mean the zealots were people who were going to overturn Rome by force, and the rest of us are looking at by force, by force. Do you know how big Rome is? And I do want to tell you that the best spin of all was the Italians saying that that was Rome. We don't say the Italians did that, saying that that was Rome we don't say the Italians did that it is we just changed the name a little bit. Rome are the Italians. Now their families, you know, behave like this. But I just want to tell you there are some prejudices that we have erased because we changed a name. So this Italian army was horrible to the whole world, beloved to the whole world. So they had to change their name because you know what? The whole world had been under their tyranny and this little tiny country of Israel is like it's enough, it's too much, I can't stand it. And we're going to overthrow them with force. And the rest of them are looking at that, going that doesn't even make sense, brother. Yes, they need overthrow, but not with force. And they're like force is the only way. And Jesus is like I'm going to have one of those on my disciples. I'm like, okay, let's put him on the second string. No, and that's how Jesus does it. Jesus invites all of these people. And then you have a tax collector. And then you have someone who has just betrayed us all tax collector's head. And Jesus is like yeah, one of them in here, you're on my team. And then like fishermen, these poor fishermen. I mean just everything had been against him. You know, they even taxed the fishermen. All the good fish that you took that had to go to Rome, to the big guys in Italy, and you could sell your fish, but only the little ones, I mean, these people had suffered under this and Jesus was like yeah, come to me, all of you, come to me and I'm going to show you another way to live. So the invitation is for us. The same way, we are around many different people who believe many different things, who live many different ways, and Jesus is saying I will show you how to live in peace. I will show you the way to peace. I will show you how to live freely and lightly. I am the prince of peace. And so there's this beautiful invitation here that this high priest understands our weakness, when sometimes we feel like you know what I've had enough, and violence is the only way Jesus understands, when we have said it's so much and I can't take anymore. And depression is the only way Jesus understands. We have a God who weeps with us, and this is what the writer of this epistle reminds us. We don't have a God far away. We have a God as close as the breath around us. We have a God with us, in us. We have love and spirit is here. And so we do not fall for the lie that we are separate from God. Jesus knew that he was with God, the Father was with him and he did not sin. So so, because of that, because we did all the reminding of ourselves, we have a great high priest, because we remember that we are ones dearly loved by God, because we know we get to come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. I love this verse for this reason. When I hear this line, come boldly to the throne of our gracious God, first of all remind yourself that God is gracious, that grace is overwhelming, more than we could imagine, that infinite mercy, that God is love. And there is this throne of God. And let us come boldly. Have you ever seen a kid come into a house like it's their house? There's just a lot of arrogance in it. It's just so beautiful. They didn't pay. They didn't pay, they didn't weed, they don't worry about it, they don't repair anything. They come in and this is their house. Watch some small child go into their own house. It is boldly. They kick their shoes off, they walk in. They just it's their house. Very often, the world has taught us that we do not belong in our father's house, that we are not welcomed here. You can stay outside, but not beloved. Come in, kick your shoes off, come boldly before the throne of grace. You have a good God who wants good things for you, who has an advocate and a plan for you. There's a verse in scripture and you remember it because it's used very many times, and it's in the book of Jeremiah. We sang part of it this morning in a song, for I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are to prosper you, to give you a future and a hope. And I want to tell you the context to that verse. The people of God were in captivity and things were terrible for them, terrible, terrible, terrible. And they cried out to God and they said, god, we need you to deliver us. We, as your people, need you to get us out of this trouble that we've gotten ourselves into. But you have to deliver us, you have to get us out of this. And God replied with this message absolutely not. You're going to stay where you are and you're going to love and bless the city that you're in. You're going to plant gardens. If you want to know what to do with your time, plant a garden. It's from the scriptures, plant gardens. You're going to have children, you're going to teach them the ways of God, but you're staying exactly where you are. And then God said because I know the plans I have for you, they're good and to give you a future and a hope. And so, if you understand the context of this, that it is very much like a Job kind of the same kind of lesson for us in our lives, where we come before the throne of grace. God, get us out of this and God may say I'll be with you. That's not the answer I want. I want something else that I'll be with you. That's not the answer I want. I want something else that I'll be with you. But don't we truly understand that the presence of God is what? Everything is? There, we will receive God's mercy and we will find grace to help us when we need it the most.
Speaker 2: You know this verse makes me think of in just a tiny way. Like our church here today, we have bread in the kitchen right there, those racks right there are free bread and sweets. Now you are part of this church, you're here today and you're welcome to go into the kitchen. So some people won't go in the kitchen because they will say, I don't know, that's probably for somebody else, or, you know, maybe somebody else needs it more than me. And I hear people say that oftentimes in their relationship with God, don't you? Or maybe you even say that, well, I'm sure God's real busy with other people and my need ain't that bad. I'll just tough it out. But the problem is you missed the provision that was right there but you just had to boldly go in. But the key to this whole thing isn't that I want you to confidently walk into the kitchen. That's why I want you, I want you to have confidence to be able to walk into the kitchen. That's really the be-all, end-all here to boldly go into the throne of grace.
Speaker 1: Don't miss the point.
Speaker 2: No, the point is that there is a throne of grace. There is grace, which is everything that you have need of. There's an abundance of it. Well, we happen to have an abundance of bread in there. That's why I said in a tiny way it's like that, but if you had a need, you have to first boldly go in, but then you have to realize that that's where I obtain all of the bread I need for the week Now. Don't get it for your lifetime, because if you try to stock up for your lifetime, that's going to get moldy within a few days and even if we put it in your freezer, it'll zap all the moisture out of it and it'll be like a hockey puck. That's not what you want. But for your provision for the next few days, there will be. And for you, if any of you miss out on having some nice French bread or some nice bagels or nice sweets or nice sweets or whatever, it's because you were not confident enough in your invitation. You didn't maybe feel welcome or feel deserving, or feel like you qualified, but if you did, you could eat of that abundance. And so I want you to think about grace as being everything that we have need. But will we go obtain that? Will we collect it? Everything that you have need of when you're afraid, when you're sad, when sure, when you're hungry, when all of these things, but there are so many things, and grace is that thing for which you need. And so I want to remind you that there is a throne of grace, and not that I just would learn to have boldness and confidence, but that I would learn that I can obtain that grace, that is the power of the gospel, that you can walk free from that struggle and that lack, that lack of peace when you were afraid. You know that lack of confidence when you're uncertain. That is found in god's grace and it's his invitation to us. Will you take it? Will you respond to that invitation or will you talk yourself out of it for whatever reason, that we miss out on the blessings that are right in front of us today? You?
Speaker 1: You'll find grace to help us when we need it the most. I love that phrase when we need it the most, because when we need it the most it's the hardest to find. When do people need your love? When they are the most unlovely. When do people need your tenderness? When they are violent and when they are angry? When do people need your gentleness when they are angry and afraid? The word of God is to us. Let our gentleness be known to all, and there is an invitation for us that we will find grace to help us when we need it the most. Therefore, let us offer, through Jesus, a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to God's name. In our behaving like this, in our returning, in our continuing, we are offering this praise that allows us to continue to offer an allegiance. Our allegiance is to Christ, is to Jesus, is to the one who has returned us to God, who has made the way that we can all come home. And there is a beauty here in remembering that. My allegiance is not to a person, a system, a way. My allegiance is to Christ, who is the way, and there is a unity that comes for us when we remember that we are members of the same body, that we are brothers and sisters of the same father, that our allegiance is to Christ and to Christ's sharing of his goodness. Don't forget to do good and share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God. Remember this. Oh, I want to stop right here. Don't forget to do good and share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God. Now that you know that you have grace, now that you know that you have mercy, now that you know that you have everything that you need when you need it, don't forget to do good. Don't use all this grace and mercy just for yourself. Don't forget to share with those who are in need. These are the sacrifices that please God.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a story and it explains something, so it doesn't matter whether the story is true or not, but it's the point that it's making. I think and it's the story goes this way that there was a man on a subway in New York and he came onto the subway with two little children and he sat down and started staring out of the window of the train and his children began to just climb on people and dig in their bags and touch everything. And the people were all getting angry and they wanted the dad to control these wild hooligans. And so everybody's looking around and the guy's just staring out the window and finally some woman got sick of it and she said hey, sir, you need to get control of these kids. They are digging in our stuff, they're touching everything, they're licking the windows, these kids are disgusting. And the guy turned and he goes. Oh, I'm so sorry he goes. You know, I just returning from my wife's funeral and I was looking at the window thinking how am I going to raise two kids? Now? See, what happened in us right now is what the point of the story is. Now, whether that's true or not, what happened was that you and I had a shift inside because we were all thinking, yeah, that those kids need a whooping, and then all of a sudden you think those kids don't have a mother. All of a sudden I have what Compassion you know. Oh, that's terrible. That's a whole different perspective, right. And I think that this is the thing where grace can be used for us. I want you to understand my situation. I had a neighbor and I knew that he was a vietnam vet and that he was kind of like touch and go. Never knew which one you were going to get. He'd be angry and want to fight everybody and stuff. But my heart was for him because you know he'd served our country and did all this. And now he, you know he, you know he just he was just unstable and I was was sitting out front with my friend and my neighbor walked by and I've known him really well, and he goes did you see a dog? And my friend goes well, I'm a big dog. And then the Vietnam vet goes oh, you think you're a big dog. And so he went up to fight him and all of a sudden this thing escalated. But I said, no, wait a minute, because I knew my friend, the neighbor I knew my friend would have liked to fight. But I knew my neighbor. He heard things based on the brokenness. He heard things based on the brokenness and when you know that he's not the enemy anymore, do you see what I'm saying? And I wonder how many times we hear people say stuff and it just, you know, I can't believe they're talking with that kind of attitude. Well, sometimes that attitude is a disguise to cover despair, or that's the way you respond in hopelessness. I didn't know that, because I've never experienced hopelessness like this person that I'm now in an adversary position with. But with grace for God, to let me see what's really going on, I said to my friend hey, nobody's trying to challenge you. You're the toughest guy I know, you served our country and you're a blessing and let's see if we can help you find that dog. And it all melted off. So the scripture tells us a kind answer turns away wrath. Well, you know, that's not just some cute saying, that it's to demonstrate when you draw down and pull out grace instead of matching energy or or or really assessing the situation, and say I mean, I had a drunk guy come up to me and started calling me all kinds of name and I. Honestly, my first thought was, even though I'm not that good at fighting, I could probably beat this drunk. He can't even see which one, you know. My first thought was, even though I'm not that good at fighting, I could probably beat this drunk he can't even see which one. My first thought is aggression and I have to reach down and go. Lord, how do I? And I was able to pull out a ministry which de-escalated this situation and I was able to share love with that broken person and it was profound what happened, not just with that person but with everybody around that observed a kind answer being brought in the middle of an aggressive situation. I'm telling you, there's grace for us, you guys, if we take a beat and ask God what's really going, because this is so odd that this person is, you know, picking me to pick on what's really going on. Oh, why have they picked you? Because their spirit is desperate for what you have tucked down on the inside and we got it so packed down there. We're not letting any out when it's the answer for the world, what you have on the inside of you, amen. So could we allow that grace to come out? So we need that discernment and we need to realize that we are oftentimes the distributors of grace of the power of god. Isn't that good news?
Speaker 1: the beauty of the grace is it's whatever you have need of, and I am not a prophet, but I think our world needs peace, a lot of it. So we need to be people of peace, we need to be people of gentleness and tenderness, and this is the grace for the world that we will understand. In fact, the writer of the Hebrews tells us this you have peace with God because of Jesus Christ. Now take that same peace and offer it to the world. Let everyone know the peace that they have with God, that there is a hope for us to live in that peace. I was thinking so much this week about the collective trauma that we have and there are many traumas and you notice why we need each other and why we need therapists, and why we need therapists and why we need doctors, because our bodies respond to the traumas that we're in. But collectively, this storm had everyone amped up to an 11 for days. Part of that is the storm watchers. I am not kidding. These people have a tone and God bless them. Mercy grace, all the thing with the tone. I mean they are watching us and they're you know all the thing with the tone. I mean they are watching us and they're watching that storm and everything's terrible. And you know, we'd be mindful of the fact that the whole energy of our world was just like people were electric with fear and with terror and just that idea of then. We can be the people who say but we have a God who is with us even in the storm, that we have love that will not abandon us, that we have a hope that there is a different way of living. And it's one of the things that we do when we come together, when our whole bodies have suffered a trauma and you already know this very often your body remembers the trauma and then the next time something happens, your body doesn't have to be told again. It knows how to go into flight mode or into fawning mode. I mean, you get to 11 very quickly. And so there is this invitation for us to enter into a place of peace, and I believe this is one of the things that we get to do together when we're in the Sabbath and in the house of the Lord, when we practice Holy Communion together. It is a sacred sacrament that reminds our body of peace, that reminds us that there is no striving, there is no preparation. Jesus has already made all the preparations for us, and so it is a beautiful time for us to allow our bodies to be at peace and to receive from God all good, all mercy, all truth. We hope you've enjoyed this week's sermon. If you would like more information about us, visit us online at firstlovechurchorg.