Speaker 1: Welcome to the First Love Church Podcast. This is a collection of Sunday teachings inspired by the Revised Common Lectionary and recorded weekly in Ocala, florida. If you came this morning and you were full of great joy because everything is working out for you, then bless, then bless. We rejoice with you and we're excited for you, and we will be here for you next week or when life gets you, whatever it is. But we are grateful for you. And this is the beauty of living a deeply formed spiritual life that, no matter what happens, no matter what happens in your life, things you can control, things you cannot control. There is a way, there is a path to stay in peace, to stay in belovedness, to stay in remembering who we are and what we have been called to do. And so this morning, again, I'm so grateful that you're here. This is the third Sunday of Lent, and sometimes Lent feels long, just like sometimes winter feels long. Where are the promises of resurrection, where are the promises of a new world being formed, of Christ coming and being among us? And so I am here to remind you, just like the beautiful equinox that we all experienced, where balance comes comes where things that were wrong come back into balance. And this is the beginning of this season, of this beautiful season of lent, preparing our hearts for resurrection.
Speaker 2: there's a hope in this practice you know, I would like for you to to try to allow this church service today and and and the time when we get to meet together, because there's a corporate blessing, there's something that happens when we make the effort to join together. Whether you're here online, we welcome you as a part of our church family. But I know that there are unfinished things in people's lives. They're broken, they're barren, they're desert places. There's dry places in people's lives and really Lent is there to remind us that broken, they're barren, they're desert places. There's dry places in people's lives and really lent is there to remind us that, that that it's not that we did something wrong. It's a season, it's part of the existence, but we can, through the practices, get through it and get to the promise that god has for us. And hey, the blues, I haven't seen you guys in forever. Good to see you. So I have a great illustration that happens every year. We have, I have grape vines I put in the back and we one time, heather and I, were at one of these yard garden sales and they were like, oh, we don't want these seven dollars for these grapes. And so we bought all these grapes and planted them. Because when I was a little kid we had a grapevine in the backyard so I just put it up and what's happened is they say you're supposed to prune them about 80 or 90 percent back of all those little vines. So we do it, prune them all back. And I gotta tell you right now, when you look at them, it doesn't look good, it doesn't look hopeful for grapes to ever, or for anything for that matter. I mean, it's just a little root coming out of the ground, a few little vines running across some wire, but it doesn't fail that by the middle of summer I can't walk between them. The branches are just going everywhere and the grapes are hanging down from everywhere, are hanging down from everywhere. And you're like, how did nature just take that barren, pruned, dried up thing because of the season it was in? And we just kind of trust that that happens in nature, but we forget that in our own lives there are times where it's very pruned back and it's very difficult. I remember so many struggles when Heather and I were first married, just to put gas in the car. And some of you are in that place now and you think this is life. I'm going to tell you something that there's a season and what we do in that season. We decided to serve God anyway and we decided to have those kinds of principles as a family and as a result of it we have a beautiful little family and we sometimes have enough money to put gas in the car and put gas in someone else's car. And I'm telling you, those seasons change and there is flourishing. That happens. And so when I see that grapevine every year it reminds me of those spots in my life that have yet to receive that season of harvest or increase. But I know the God who set that nature in motion and has brought transformation in my life so far, is faithful to complete what God has begun in me and in you. So if we can kind of remember that, I think that it helps sustain us and encourage us in those struggle times. Right Amen.
Speaker 1: Yes, in the next few weeks there's a lot of things that will be happening around here. One of the things that will be happening is on Friday night, and you're welcome to participate with us, but we're having a potluck fellowship at our house and we would love for you to join us. To join us, to join us, you simply show up with something to share. It's kind of like how we do everything here. We all have something and we find a way to share it, to nourish each other and to encourage each other, but there's something powerful about knowing and learning the story of the person that sits next to you or that attends church with you or that you intend to work with. We have a beautiful invitation 630.30 at our house bring something delicious. People often ask us well, what should I bring? Whatever you love to eat, bring that and share what you love. Another beautiful thing that we get to do this week is outreach here at the church on Wednesday and we go to Harvey's Fellowship of Homes, and it is again our beautiful Savior's plan for us to always be people who are generous, particularly who are people who are generous to the poor, to those who have nothing, and this is an invitation for us to join in with the work of Christ, to join in with the kingdom work, and for us to feed our neighbors.
Speaker 2: We go to that place where folks are on a fixed income and actually it needs fixing and they struggle, and every month, by the end of the month, they have nothing. They're waiting for the check to come in, because they're all older, retired folks and so they're waiting for that promise to come in, because they're all old, older retired folks and so they're waiting for that promise to come in. But in the meantime there's a lack of food. So we try to go that last week of the month and we're able to bring frozen meat, fresh breads and canned non-perishables and things of that nature, and so God provides that for us. But what we really need is saints that would go along and help us distribute it. And it's not that it's all that heavy, but I really think the beautiful thing is knocking on someone's door, giving them the grace to not say here's your food, but offer would you like to have some food? And then, when they say yes, say but really what I'd like to do is could I pray with you about anything? And it's amazing how we've seen God do healings at that time. We've seen God really touch people in their families as we'll pray for their children and children's children as we're standing in those doorways and so it's a beautiful opportunity to minister. It's 11 o'clock at Harvey's. I'll give you directions if you don't know how to get there, and we're done, and I mean inside of 30 minutes. You, you can. You can use your lunch time if you. If you want to, you can fast in that day anyway. Right, as a church, we're fastened on Wednesday. So take this Wednesday. You know you're gonna eat, you can fast on that day anyway. Right, as a church, we're fasting on Wednesdays. So take this Wednesday, we're going to eat lunch anyway. So take that time and come help us distribute that food. And I thank you for those that are faithful and come all the time and for those that, when you can, I'm grateful for your support and help in that ministry. And then just know that, as you give your regular tithes and offerings at church and why would you commit to helping a church? Uh, my, as a pastor, my family and I have grown accustomed to eating and uh, your giving uh supports our, our, our ministry and and it keeps the lights on here and then allows us to do things like that outreach and other things that we're doing on a consistent basis. So thank you for your faithful giving. The offering boxes are by the door. Use them for what they were intended for and thank you for that giving and thank you for being a part of outreach. And even if you're not there, take that hour from 11 to 12 and pray with us, because it's a beautiful opportunity and fun.
Speaker 1: From Proverbs 19, 19, verse 17 the one who is gracious to the poor lends to the lord, and the lord will repay him for his good deeds. From first john, chapter 3, verse 17. But whoever has the world's resources and sees his fellow christian in need and shuts off his compassion against him, how can the love of God reside in such a person? Proverbs 14, 31,. You insult your maker when you exploit the powerless, but when you're kind to the poor, you honor God. These are the verses that and there are over 2,000 in the scriptures that tell us that it is our responsibility as people who follow the way of Jesus, to be people who are generous, but we are also to be extremely aware of the needs of the poor, that we are to be the people who make sure that there is food that can be given. In fact, one of the ordinances of the house of the Lord, or how someone would know that this was a tabernacle, that this was where God was dwelling, was God demanded that there would be bread in his house. Now, I don't know if you know this, but there's always bread here. Now, we didn't intentionally plan it like that, but we have bread here. But this is the way God said it, because if a foreigner comes in and is hungry and has no one to advocate for them, at least they would be able to come to my house and receive bread. If someone had everything and then lost it one day, they would be able to come to God's house and say today, my family will eat bread, for whatever your tragedy was, god said, make sure there's always bread in my house so that anyone who has need can come. Now, this is a beautiful thing, and I'm not saying that every church has to be a part of this, but I'm just saying pay attention, the bread is here Now. The bread is not just for you, but it is for you to give to other people. And so this invitation, particularly in Lent, we focus on the three pillars of what Jesus taught us when he was saying if you're going to follow me, this is what you're going to do when you pray, when you fast and when you give. And so this in us is a spiritual formation. It creates in us a generosity that allows us to be grateful. All of a sudden, we begin to see things that we maybe did not see without the practice of gratitude, and it allows us to remember that, because of the work of Christ, we are one. We are one with everyone. Jesus said this in John, chapter 17. This was his prayer Lord, make us one and let them know that you love, that you love them as much as you love me, and that I love them, and that there is a love that encompasses and that asks us to all join in in the goodness of others.
Speaker 2: You know, we do the outreach and have always done outreaches since we've been at church, and we do them sometimes where we knock on the doors and sometimes where we show up at the truck and have people just hand out boxes. One time we were doing that type of an outreach and this guy kept coming back and he would switch his shirt as if I couldn't tell it was the same dude. I mean, come on, your silver feelings in your teeth are not changing. That's you dude and a couple of people were getting angry. They were like this guy's ripping us off. This guy keeps coming back. And I thought about that and it was such a good lesson for us because we tend to think of the poor and who we think deserves our benevolence. And then we could judge that guy as if he's clever enough to figure out how to get in the line three times, he's clever enough to go somewhere and get a job. And why does he have to do this line? And you know, and come to find out, he's had a lot of kids at the house and he was having a hard time and you know, I said let's just let people have that. Maybe they feel like they got to get one over on the system, whatever. But at the same time, can um, can we trust um that, like you know how, uh, in the bible they would, they'd pray over a, a piece of material and take it home and it would bring healing to someone. Could our can of beans bring conviction in the home of somebody that took three portions? You know, or do we feel like we need to defend it? Or can we really trust the gospel that God is going to take care of people and we can just be generous and we're like, yeah, but what if we run out of people and don't get enough? You know it's amazing how there always is enough out. People don't get enough. You know, it's amazing how there always is enough. And and I'm telling you that I think we need to remove that element of who we think deserves it, because I I think that there's not one of us probably that deserve, uh, the grace that god's given you. Now, if you've got an argument, you want to talk to me about it after service. I just have a feeling it was God's mercy that showed up on you and yet we want to find the people, the haves and have-nots, the deserves and deserve-nots, and we want to make that decision. And I believe that God is wanting to unition the hearts of people where we're generous to the poor, and that's how we want to run our lives and how we want our, our world to uh, to exist. Amen, and if enough of us, you know, you know, demonstrate that and push for that, that's what we'll see in this earth. There is enough for everyone. And, and I know christ wants us to be more generous and to not be so quick to decide why someone shouldn't get it, but maybe try to find in there the grace of why they can't have it.
Speaker 1: Proverbs 14.21. It is a sin to belittle one's neighbor. Blessed are those who help the poor. I remind you that Jesus, when he spoke on the mount, said this Blessed are the poor. Jesus was turning everything we knew about blessing and cursing on its head. Jesus was looking at those people and saying if you thought for one minute that they are poor because of what they have done, I'm changing everything here and there is a blessing on those who have a desperation, those who need the gifts given to them, those who are aware of their own frailty and their own vulnerability. The invitation for us is to join in God's plan of bringing hope and bringing healing. I read to us this morning from the prophet Isaiah. Philip will also read to us this morning from the prophet Isaiah, because during Lent, one of the things that we're asking you to do, and reminding you and inviting you to do, is read Isaiah, chapter 58. The entire chapter, not that long. If you are a person who doesn't want necessarily to read it, there's lots of apps that will read it to you and so you can have that. But this idea and this understanding is that when we read the scriptures, that we allow the word of the Lord to change our thoughts, to bring us a higher thought. In fact, jesus said this to us, that this was the life that he was offering, a life of repentance, changing the way that you think about things. So I'm going to read to you from Isaiah, chapter 55. Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink, even if you have no money. Come, take your choice of wine or milk, it's all free. Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good? Listen to me and you will eat what is good and you will enjoy the finest food. Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen and you will find life, and I will make an everlasting covenant with you. Seek the Lord while you can find him. Call on him now, while he is near, and let the wicked change their ways and banish the very thought of doing wrong. Let them turn to the Lord that he may have mercy on them. Yes, turn to our God, for he will forgive generously. My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts, says the Lord, and my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. The rain and the snow come down from the heavens and stay on the ground to water the earth. They cause the grain to grow, producing seed for the farmer, and stay on the ground to water the earth. They cause the grain to grow, producing seed for the farmer and bread for the hungry. It is the same with my word. I send it out and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to and it will prosper everywhere I send it. You will live in joy and peace. The mountains and the hills will burst into song and the trees of the field will clap their hands. Where there once were thorns, cypress trees will grow. Where nettles grew, myrtles will sprout up. These events will bring great honor to the Lord's name and they will be an everlasting sign of his mercy and his love. What a beautiful invitation for us, what a good news for us to remember this morning. And the prophet says to us this morning with the same words come, you who have no money, come and buy. Come with your ears wide open to hear the word of the Lord. Come and allow the thoughts of God to transcend the thoughts of this world and bring us into a renewal. Philip, will you read for us this morning? I remind us this is the word of the Lord for us and we hear the good news that is given.
Speaker 4: Isaiah 58. Shout with the voice of a trumpet. Blast, shout aloud, don't be timid. Tell my people, israel, of their sins. Yet they act so pious. They come to the temple every day and seem delighted to learn all about me. They act like a righteous nation that would never abandon the laws of its God. They ask me to take action on their behalf, pretending they want to be near me. We have fasted before you. They say why aren't you impressed? We have been very hard on ourselves and you don't even notice it. I will tell you why. I respond it's because you are fasting to please yourselves. Even while you fast, you keep oppressing your workers. What's good is fasting when you keep on fighting and quarreling? This kind of fasting will never get anywhere with me. You humble yourselves by going through the motions of penance, bowing your heads like reeds, bending in the wind. You dress in burlap and cover yourselves with ashes. Is this what you call fasting? Do you really think this will please the Lord? No, this is the kind of fasting I want. Free those who are wrongly imprisoned. Lighten the burden of those who work for you. Let the oppressed go free and remove the chains that bind people. Share your food with the hungry and give shelter to the homeless. Give clothes to those who need them and do not hide from the relatives who need your help. Then your salvation will come like the dawn and your wounds will quickly heal. Your godliness will lead you forward and the glory of the Lord will protect you from behind. Then, when you call, the Lord will answer yes, I am here. He will click quickly reply. Remove the heavy yoke of oppression. Stop pointing your finger and spreading vicious rumors. Feed the hungry and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness and the darkness around you will be bright as noon. The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring. Some of you will rebuild the deserted ruins of your cities. Then you will be known for a rebuilder of walls and a restorer of homes. Keep the, the Sabbath day, holy. Don't pursue your own interests on this day, but enjoy the Sabbath and speak of it with delight as the Lord's holy day. Honor the Sabbath and everything you do on that day, and don't follow your own desires or talk idly. Then the Lord will be your delight. I will give you great honor and satisfy you with the inheritance I promised to your ancestor, jacob. I, the Lord, have spoken.
Speaker 1: Amen. This is the word of the Lord for us. Amen, amen. The Lord says my ways are higher than your ways, my thoughts are higher than your ways. My thoughts are higher than your thoughts. And this morning, our prayer for you is that you will allow the Holy Spirit to perhaps begin to change your thoughts, to allow our thoughts to align with the love of Christ and the kingdom that is being built here.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about something this morning. I was putting on some really nice cologne that someone gave me and you'd be maybe offended if you knew how much this bottle of cologne cost that this person gave me. But that's real good, and I was reflecting on the fact that when I was younger it was important to me to smell good. So I remember going to like Walmart and getting some cologne and putting it on. You know, as a young, little guy you know, just out of high school, you know putting on some stuff. And then I met Heather and she goes what is that you have on? And I'm like it's clones? She goes I don't think so.
Speaker 1: We all grow beloved. We all grow, Just be merciful.
Speaker 2: And she goes. No, you get clones from these houses and I'm like, what do you mean? Houses Like go to people's houses? You know like clone houses is like go to people's house, you know, like cologne house, you know. So she has. She knew, brethren, a better way it wasn't to go to walmart and get. She knew about the, the good stuff. And I needed, uh, I need someone to rescue me out of my walmart funk. Rescue me out of my Walmart funk and bring me higher. And I want you to know that you're in a Walmart funk in some area of your life, whether you realize it or not. And I'm telling you, if we'll open up our hearts, god will give you that elevated thought, or he'll put someone in your life that will just show you this is the way to go. And can you have the courage that to? To go that path, even though it looks like a more difficult? It was a more expensive path for me than going, but I don't smell like Walmart Good, and so I hope that in my silliness, that you'd see the profound truth in us, getting someone to help us have an elevated thought, a thought that's higher than where we are right now.
Speaker 1: And that's the invitation of the Holy Spirit, who is the thought adjuster. And sometimes, when we are looking for miracles and beloved, we are a people who believe in them and we are on a regular basis looking for miracles, but sometimes the miracle is already there. It just has to be an adjustment with the way we're perceiving things. And the invitation of the Holy Spirit is to allow us to join with the Spirit in thinking differently, in allowing the Spirit to expand our thoughts. And so today, in the text in Luke, chapter 10, then, a religious scholar stood before Jesus in order to test his doctrines and he posed this question Teacher, what requirement must I fulfill if I want to live forever in heaven? Now, as we read this text, I want to remind you of this question, even as we get to the end of it. Think about the question that the answer has brought. He is asking what are the requirements? What is it going to cost me? What am I going to have to do in order to have eternal life, in order to live forever? What is this going to look like? And Jesus asked him. I love this about Jesus asking questions with questions. Jesus didn't say do this a, b and c. Now you're done. Jesus asked him a question what does Moses's law teach us? And what do you read in the law? Jesus was asking him to use his intelligence and say after you've read it, how do you interpret it, how do you say it should go? And so Jesus is inviting a conversation, and I want you to know that God Almighty, god, who is all loving God, who is all giving God, who is all merciful, is still inviting you to a conversation Every day. The invitation is to to a conversation every day. The invitation is to have a conversation with the divine, to have a conversation with the one who is sorting all things out and restoring all things. But Jesus asks this young man and says to him you've read it. What does Moses teach us to do? And and how do you read the law? And the religious scholar answered and he gives the actual definition from the law. And this is the law. That is not only the oral tradition of the Torah, this is the written tradition of the Torah. And so I'm sure he stated his case. But this is what he says you must love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, all your passion, all your energy, all your passion, all your energy and your every thought, and you must love your neighbor as well as you love yourself. So this is the text. He understood it. He said this is what Moses teaches us. This is what it looks like to be part of the people of God, that we are going to be people who love our neighbors as we love ourselves. There's much to be said in that, because perhaps some of you do not love yourself very well and we need to allow Jesus to change that and that way you can love your neighbor. But Jesus says to him that is correct. Now, as somebody who likes to be correct about the answers when it's on a test, I would have been thrilled. I literally I would have been like yes, yes, everyone thinks Jesus is great and has authority, and I asked a question and then he asked me a question and I answered it correctly. But it goes a little further than that. Jesus said that is correct. And then he said now go and do exactly that and you will live. Because it is not enough to know it, but it is how we live it that Jesus is confronting that. Jesus is saying this about what is the actual energy that is behind it, what is our actual actions? It's great that you know that. Moses said that to us. But how will you live it? Jesus says to him now, go and do exactly that and you will live. I remind us this morning Jesus is saying the same thing to us Go and do exactly that and you will live. Wanting to justify himself we should all pay attention here. Now he felt an accusation when Jesus said to him. And Jesus simply said to him go and do that and you'll live. And now he had to justify himself. Now we have to ask ourselves why. Why did he feel like he must justify himself when Jesus said go and do exactly that and you will live? Wanting to justify himself, he questioned Jesus further, saying what do you mean by my neighbor Wanting to justify himself? So think about this for a minute. I encourage you. I suspect and this may be an accusation, so I stand in the place of mercy as I need it I think he didn't want to love all his neighbors. I don't know, maybe he had the one, and so he wants to know what the inclusion table looks like. Is it everybody? Is it only the ones to the right? Is it the ones have been here a long time? It's not the new neighbors right Because they're not as good as the old neighbors. And you know, this kind of thought was probably going on in his mind this idea of it can't be everyone Like. No, that can't be. And Jesus said now go and do exactly what it says. But what do you mean by my neighbor? Now, before we tell the scholar that he is off? We do this all the time. We want to know how far the love is allowed to go, who is in and who is out, how big the communion table will actually have to be in order for everyone to have a place at this feast that God is preparing. But the invitation for us is ask yourself this question where are you limiting the mercy of God? Where are you limiting the grace of God? And maybe we were having this conversation this morning, dennis. Maybe he was asking like, how much expense is this going to be? Like how much effort is it going to be for all of them? I mean cause, I can do, like the first three, but the next block, no, that's just beyond my capability. So maybe he was just definitely examining his resources. But the truth is it's as he was wanting to justify himself. And when Jesus said I want you to go and do exactly that and you will have life. He felt an accusation.
Speaker 2: You know, I wanted just to comment on 29 because, you know, maybe it's a little abstract, because maybe you don't, you know, get personally confronted in this exact way of of how you love your neighbor. But uh, I I really find it, within the church it becomes the uh doctrinal issues that we uh agree on or don't agree on that will say whether we love somebody or not. You know, I can't believe that you would vote for that party. I can't believe that you would allow that type of behavior in your home. I can't, you know. And so we tend to look at that. And then when there is a behavior that we deem, I mean, look, I've studied and my conclusion is that that is a wrong behavior. And so by you doing that, you're choosing to not be my neighbor, you know. And when we put a lot of conjecture in that, you know a lot of of our opinion of what that really is. And so the challenge isn't so much were you nice to your neighbor when you were pulling the cans in last week, although that is important, but some of us just live in neighborhoods where there's no neighbors, so you can get away with that. So where does it really boil down to? And I find it to be really that issue of belief, of doctrine. It's where we've drawn the line in the sand, if you do, and it's funny how we're always just on the good side of the line with our behavior. How is it? No matter what you've done, you just fall right up. But then those people that do the one thing you don't do, well, they're way over there, so they can't be my neighbor, and so I would really challenge you on that, because I know that for me, I'm very challenged, and since the Holy Spirit is challenging me on that, I'm just going to Extend the challenge as a gift, as a real gift.
Speaker 1: We pause here for a moment to thank you for joining us today, to thank you for joining us today. If you're finding this episode meaningful, would you take a moment to share it with a friend? This podcast is made possible thanks to the generosity of people just like you. If you would like to support the ongoing work of First Love Church and the continued work of our podcast, visit us online at firstlovechurchorg, reminding you to like, follow and subscribe. This is what I love about the scriptures that it gives us a testimony of how Jesus lived, and on a regular basis, people were offended at Jesus. Now, in my mind, I could not be offended at Jesus. I just think that Jesus is wonderful. I have loved him since I was a tiny little girl and I've tried to follow him, and so I stand in this side and go. Jesus doesn't offend me, but I just believe that he absolutely would. There would be something. I just this is who, in fact, Jesus said. Blessed are you. If you're not offended because of me, Because I am going to say something that will ask you to go further than you thought you could, but I remind you on a regular basis, like a regular basis. Jesus was bothering the people who were religious because of who he ate with and who he partied with. I just want to remind you of this. They were like this cannot be right. We know you do miracles, you speak with authority, we see love in you, we think that you're the Messiah Some of us do but you're eating with the wrong folk, and that's how we know we're right. And so I want to challenge all of us that we would listen to the Holy Spirit tell us, encourage us, and that we would hear what Jesus is telling us when he's saying I want you to think differently. I want you to expand your thoughts. I want you to expand your tables. I want you to expand any place that communion is given, so that love can be the feast that we all get to enjoy.
Speaker 2: And I just like for you to imagine yourself being there back then and you were a follower of God. But you met Jesus and so you're really excited about the miracles. You're excited about the word he's saying. You're really excited about the miracles. You're excited about the word he's saying. But he's okay with his disciples just going out in the field, grabbing stuff out of the ground and without washing it, and just shoving it right in their face. And you know, because you've studied your whole life, you know that's not what God wants. So imagine your struggle. So imagine your struggle and it's the struggle that you have today turning loose of some of the things you believe for this call of love from Jesus, because it's still happening. At some point, whether you realize it or not, those people had to go, but I'm right and some of them just chose their stubborn old way of doing things, when jesus was showing yeah, but I. But god showed me this.
Speaker 1: So, bless god, this is yeah, but he's given a new thought, a higher thought, you know and stay around till we go to lent, and then easter, and then pentecost, beloved, because talk about things that the Holy Spirit's going to do. In fact, it does to Peter over and over again. God shows up to Peter this is a spoiler alert if you didn't know. This happened, but it's good and it's worth us rehearsing. But so Peter is praying, which is what you should be doing, and he's inviting the presence of God. And God shows up and says to him eat this. And there's a vision of all the things that are on the do not eat list. And Peter goes nope. And you gotta love Peter. I mean you do. You do you do To somebody that he recognizes as the almighty, that he recognizes as creator, that he recognizes as redeemer? And he goes nope, you're not gonna trick me, like that's who God is trying to trick us. That is not who God is. In fact, god says to him I want you to eat everything and don't dare call unclean what I now have called clean. And so this invitation into a new way of thinking is the invitation to follow Christ, and I love this because I think about this and I allow and ask for all of us to use our holy imagination. I think that the guy standing next to this dude was super happy he asked the question Because now he doesn't get in any trouble. But he gets to hear this response, right, he gets to hear him go. Yeah, I got a neighbor I just can't deal with either. But now we ask to be doing that with everyone. But who is my neighbor? What do you mean by my neighbor? I don't know if you've ever experienced children. They're beautiful, they're wonderful, they are gifts to us. But there is something about a child when they ask you a question, when you say something like clean it all up, and then they will say what do you mean by all he?
Speaker 2: says it out loud Eat it all.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you mean by that? I mean, this is how children behave. I just need to know how much of what you said you're actually going to expect. And so this is the truth of it. God is saying I would like you to love everyone. John, chapter 3, verse 16 and 17. For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, his one and only son, that whoever believed in him would not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send Jesus into the world to condemn the world, but that the world, through Jesus, would be saved. The invitation is, the intention, is what God's plan is that the world would be saved through the work of Christ, through the understanding of Jesus, and so this is an idea for all of us, and I would like for you to do some reflection this week, and maybe we could talk about it the next time that we get together, like for fellowship. I had some ideas of the things that we could talk about, one of them from Sarah earlier on, when she was talking about a fellowship that they had, when they just began to talk about just what they saw, anything that they saw God doing that was loving, that was good Like in the world around them. We need to remind ourselves, think about these things, anything that's loving, pure good of a good report. But I was also thinking about wouldn't it be awesome for us to have a conversation where we talked about how we changed our mind? I would like to tell you a lot of the things that I once stood fast on like that I held as a belief in my life. I have been able to let go and found real life in them. I will tell you that at one part in my life, for a very long period of my life, I only wore dresses and skirts. Now, this is not about that, but that was something that I really believed in and my faith was tested because I lived in Chicago and there are periods of the year where you should not only wear dresses and skirts because of your knees, beloved, and it's 23 degrees below zero, and they've given a 15 second time where, if you are exposed to this cold on your skin, you can begin to have frostbite. And you know what I thought to myself. Well, this pleases the Lord. Here's the skirt and I would stand outside and freeze and be in pain. It feels like a blowtorch when it's that cold on your skin and think what I am doing is pleasing the Lord. And let me tell you that every person that was on that bus thought I was a fool. Why don't you have clothes on, ma'am, like, put pants on, do something, cover up? And I was confident that this pleased the Lord. Now that may seem foolish to you, but in my heart, this is what I knew God wanted, and I was willing to do it because of love, until my mind was changed, until the scriptures were really revealed, until something else happened. And so for all of us, I'm sure, as we follow the Lord a long time, there are things. Now maybe you were never that extreme, maybe you didn't do anything like that, but there are things that we have held onto because we're sure that God wants us to make sure that our hands are washed before we pick food to give it to the poor person. You know, that's really what the disciples were upset with. At one point, jesus healed a man whose arm had been withered since the time he was born, and people were like but you did that on the wrong day, sorry, like let's wither it back up and let's do it God's way. You know, like I mean, that seems silly to us now, but they were serious. God would not ask us to do this work of love on the Sabbath, and so there was always this contention with. I know that you're asking us to do it, but are you asking us to break the rules too? And the invitation is let's follow the work of Christ here. What do you mean by being my neighbor?
Speaker 2: Heather skied in the Czechoslovakian mountains in a jean skirt I did in the Tatra Mountains, and again, people thought I was insane.
Speaker 1: Here I was clicking on those boots and I was going down the mountain in my skirt. I also swam in the Dead Sea in a jean skirt, beloved. These are things you should not do in skirts. In fact, this is an invitation into foolishness, not into wisdom. And so I remind us again I did that not because it was convenient or it was the best fit, because I thought that's how I honored the Lord. And so, to anyone who I have a skirt, a long dress on today, because this is the appropriate clothing when I am further skiing, let's get a pair of pants on, beloved, and maybe some knee warmers, because our, especially as we get a little bit older, our knees are needing a little bit of warmth. And so the invitation for all of us is what does wisdom tell us to do?
Speaker 2: I wanted to talk about just you know, a story that kind of it reminds me and I think that for us, that we have to be careful about how we judge folks, you know, in and out. I was swimming one time in the ocean with some friends and this kid kept hanging around with me and the other kids and, like you know how you boogie board and the waves kind of take you. It was just like the whole time this kid was staying with us and so I thought, after a length of time it's kind of odd that he stuck around. So I just began to ask him, you know, if he knew the Lord and had a relationship with the Lord and if he wanted us to pray with him about anything. And so he seemed all excited. So we're there on the shore just getting ready to grab hands and pray and all of a sudden these giant muscle guys just like the beach is giant and they come right to where we are and they're cursing so loud and everything. And I thought, oh, oh, man, the atmosphere for praying for somebody, for salvation church, has just been ruined by these giant guys who are cursing and all this stuff. And then I thought, you know, what difference does it make you know this is an opportunity? Uh, uh. And then the kid starts cursing and I thought, well, now he's clearly not in his heart's open. And I thought, well, who more needs Jesus than the cussing kid on the beach? So let me just go for it. So I asked him and he was so open yeah, pray for me, I want this. And so I had to kind of just ignore the cursing muscle men. That would not go away, and I just closed my eyes and prayed with this guy anyway. And when I opened my eyes, those muscle men had taken off their hats. I mean, they were just in Speedos or whatever, but they took off their hats and were reverencing the Lord in the middle of Daytona Beach. And we're like what just happened? I misread this entire thing, do you? know, what I mean. I thought, well, this kid's not going to want these guys, these guys aren't supposed to be here, we can't do any of this. But I pushed past all of those natural things that seem to make sense, right? All of those natural things that seem to make sense, right? I mean, those are all religious signs that someone is not open to your gospel. And all of a sudden, despite all of those things, there was literally a move of God. When you stop with all of these, you know kind of rules. Now, I'm not suggesting we start a curse fest in the middle of service today, don't miss my point, uh, but it is just that we, we tend to focus on that as being the most important thing, this or that, whatever our religious little rule is, and if someone crosses that, they're banished, uh, to utter darkness. And when, when god's arm is long to reach. Amen.
Speaker 1: Jesus is answering the question. Who is my neighbor? Listen, and I will tell you. There once was a Jewish man traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho when bandits robbed him along the way and they beat him severely and stripped him naked and left him half dead. Jesus is speaking to a group of people here and they are themselves Jewish, and so he's reminding them. I'm talking about one of you. I'm talking about your neighbor, your brother, your sister, who you are. You are the person who has been abused. You were doing your job, whatever it was. You were traveling to Jericho and now you found yourself severely stripped him naked and left him half dead.
Speaker 2: I do want to reject to hear that that. Keep in mind. You know, jesus was just asked the question who is my neighbor? And so he begins to tell the story, not by coincidence, but to explain. You know, and without being a spoiler alert, your neighbor is defined by their need someone in need, and whatever that need is, if, if we have the ability, uh, and we have the means and we have the resources but not.
Speaker 1: Okay, stay with the story. In no way do I disagree with. But if you don't have the means, then you take him to Jesus, who has the means, like the invitation always is, like the man with the mat you just bring him to Jesus. I can't heal you myself, but I bring you to Christ, I bring you to the one who can heal. And in the, from a distance, the priest crossed to the other side of the road and walked right past him, not turning to help him one bit. Now here's where we go off. We're like well, I'm not like that guy. I don't know who that guy was, he was bad and I just want to say but I want you to think about this for a moment who in your life do you see in need and do you look at that need and go not today, and walk to the other side of the road? This is what the story invites us to do to put ourselves in all of the places. What has it been like for you who was just doing your work or your life and all of a sudden, something happened and you are in need of such mercy and the invitation is for us to also look at this and go. Is it possible that the system that you are a part of is represented by this Jewish priest who looks at a man in distress and crosses the road? Now, a lot of people would argue well, you don't know their rules and all the things that they have to do, and he couldn't do these things because of the things that they have to do, and he couldn't do these things because of the rules. And I want to remind you who's telling the story. Jesus is telling us the story and Jesus is not so wound up about a certain set of rules that he's saying that this man should be followed, but he says not turning to help him one bit.
Speaker 2: So it is important for us to recognize that our religion isn't going to empower us to, you know, your rules aren't going to empower you to help the neighbor. That isn't where the strength is found, you know, and people do argue the idea. Well, you know, a religious person couldn't, uh, couldn't touch, you know, and become unclean. But there's also a law that says you can't leave someone unburied. So, uh, either way, the these laws are really just oftentimes conveniences for us to say, not today not today.
Speaker 1: Later, a religious man. So he was there a while. I don't know how long that while was, but he didn't receive the help he needed. And now here comes someone else, a Levite, A religious man came walking down the same road and likewise crossed to the other side to pass the wounded man without stopping to help him. And Jesus is a masterful storyteller and I think one of the things that we need to do is be better about the stories we tell. But Jesus is a master storyteller and he is getting you to feel bad about the fact that here is a man who needed help and people are just walking by. Here is someone who has a vulnerability and needs assistance and here we are walking by, and really it is to ignite in you some kind of aggravation. At the very least. Why aren't people helping? Why isn't someone doing something about this? It is to stir in us a righteous understanding that to be a part of the community of God, to be a part of God's world, is we are all asked to help each other. But this is again. Jesus is telling the story and it should make you feel gross at least some point, and it's making us feel uncomfortable. And finally, another man, a Samaritan. Now, at this point in the story you would have checked out. You'd be like nope, nope, nope, nobody, nope, no, no. This is not. You're not going to use that, You're not going there. We don't like these people. You know we don't like these people and this guy is not going to be the hero in the story. I just want to tell you that Another guy, a Samaritan, came upon the bleeding man and was moved with tender compassion for him. You would have just said it was all great until you start bringing the Samaritans in here and we're not following them because we know everything they do is wrong. And this was a legitimate political fight between people, not only in politics, but it ended up being murdersome between people, groups. It was horrible.
Speaker 2: And for us it's really shocking to read the samaritan.
Speaker 1: No because our children's picture books had them, like our gospel stories.
Speaker 2: I had a little bible was called the good samaritan but uh, but you know it would be like right after 9-11 in our country if you said the good muslim, that would not. Or or oftentimes in a christian church, you know, if I'm saying the good muslim, you're like, well, we're christians, we believe totally different, so you know. So don't be telling me about no good muslim.
Speaker 1: You know, I, I actually have a few here in town of good muslim friends and they're uh, extremely uh, uh, loyal and uh and, and they serve this they serve this church with the greatest beautiful heart and so, um, I I think that, and though I I intend not to to change uh my doctrine towards uh christianity, I I want to uh wonder why it is that we would immediately make them our enemy I will tell you and I'm going to be general because I know that this is being broadcast but I was here at the church one day this church and I was painting in the men's bathroom and I had things to do and I knew that it needed to be done by this day, like a Friday, so that it would have time to dry by Sunday. And I was feeling a little bit overwhelmed and I knew the people that I knew and I was feeling a little bit overwhelmed and I knew the people that I knew and I had them on other projects and so I called my Muslim brother. That was in the phone but I misdialed to another Muslim brother and he is in charge of the Islamic Center here in Ocala and I have his phone number and we have conversation. There is times I would not call him a personal friend, but I called him and I misdialed the person I was calling. I was not calling and I said I am stuck. I said I have to get this bathroom painted and I said we have church on Sunday. I said is there any way you could come over and finish what I'm doing so that I can go with something else? And he said sister, I can be there in two hours. And when I heard him talk I realized I had called the wrong person. What I'm saying to you is, sometimes we have ideas about this and them, us and them. And when I called this person, accidentally I wouldn't have asked that person, not because I didn't think they would have, but they were very busy and he said in two hours I can be there. Will the supplies be there? I said, oh brother, I have called the wrong person, not because your answer isn't so beautiful and so perfect, but he also had service on the weekend and there was somebody else that I was trying to reach. But I want you to remember that there is good that is happening all around us. There are true and beautiful things, and if we only listen to things that separate us or things that make us afraid or things that divide us, these are not the work of Christ. Another man, a Samaritan, came upon the bleeding man and was moved with tender compassion for him. Please note that particular line, because every time that Jesus does a miracle and somebody records it or says about it, they say it was this exact thing. He was moved with tender compassion and Jesus saw the woman whose son had died, and he was moved with compassion. And Jesus saw the people who were hungry and he was moved with tender compassion. And Jesus saw the man who was infirmed and he was moved with compassion. And Jesus saw the man with a mental health issue and he was moved with compassion. Is who jesus is, this is who god is, and this movement with tender compassion is a path and the invitation is for all of us to get on the tender compassion path. And what hinders.
Speaker 2: that is the religious law you know, and so you know it's. It's you know the law and the religion versus that thing that's already in you the Holy Spirit and the conviction that could come from the Spirit of God to draw us to goodness, and that's what we want to like ascend to that kind of thinking versus yeah well, maybe this person deserves it, maybe they don't, but what about just being someone who's so grace-filled?
Speaker 1: It is our job to love everyone without checking their qualifications. Are they worthy of love? Because every person is made in the image of God. And this Samaritan stooped down and gave him first aid pouring olive oil on his wounds, disinfecting them with wine, bandaging them to stop the bleeding, lifting him up I hope this guy bent his knees when he did it. Yeah, lifting him up. He placed him on his own donkey and brought him to the inn. Now I do want you to pay attention to that thing. Everything that he did for that man cost him something. That was his oil, that was his wine, this is his donkey. These are his resources that he is offering for the healing of another. Then he took him from his donkey and carried him to a room for the night, and the next morning he took his own money from his wallet and he gave it to the innkeeper with these words take care of him until I come back from my journey, and if it costs more than this, I will repay you when I return. I'm gonna go on a little side note here and it's gonna be quick, but I love this story for lots of reasons, and one of them is when people still say to me, how are you a part of the church, like how can you for so long been a part of the church? And I wanna tell you I see this as an indication of the church that there is an in somewhere, that there is a place somewhere where people can bring people that they are in need of healing of all kinds, people that they are walking with People, that they are in friendship with People, that they are restoring belief to People, that they are just loving and offering friendship to that. They can bring them here and say I'm going to come back, I'm still walking with these people, I'm going to come back, I'm still walking with these people, I'm still in the process of healing, but I need to do it. Here's the hope that it becomes this communal project. He gives the money to the innkeeper Take care of him until I come back for my journey and if it costs more than this, I will repay you when you return. And now Jesus looks at this man and says so tell me which one of the three men who saw the wounded man proved to be the true neighbor. I remind you. The question really is what must I do to live forever? What must I do to have eternal life, how can I live forever in heaven? And Jesus said go and do what Moses told you to do, what you know how to do, do it exactly. And his question then becomes well, not for everyone, right, just not for everyone. Who is then my neighbor? And Jesus asks him who was the neighbor? Jesus is asking are you paying attention to the story?
Speaker 2: You know, in my opinion, for whatever that's worth is, I think that even in 2,000 years, we've just not got it as humanity that if we all were to surrender to this, there's just not hungry people, there's just not disenfranchised, there's just not people that are marginalized and taken advantage of. Uh, it just, it brings just, you know just such a stirring in me when, when people that I love get, get, um, taken advantage of. But what really has to happen in my heart, and I believe yours, is that our heart so expands that uh, I mean, mean Robert was taken advantage of this week, and it just, and I just everything in me I want to do something about, you know, and but you know how many people that I don't know I've been really taken advantage of by the system or by other people, or you know, I just we're so afraid, and I get it, it's scary to expand our heart so that we will not stand for anyone in our country, in our world, that is not given the respect and love and care that they deserve. Amen, and maybe that sounds crazy and idealistic, but I just think there's enough of us to get that done through God.
Speaker 1: The prophet Amos said this one day you will no longer train your sons for war. I'm looking for that day, beloved, as is every mother all over the world who is saying I do not want to give my son to aid this war machine that just keeps killing people. But the prophet Amos said one day, one day you'll no longer train your sons for war and one day you will take your swords and you will beat them into plowshares. You know what that is. That means we're all going to farm together. That means community gardening. I'm telling you that is a way to head toward the promised land. Like, get a little, get something pokey and instead of poking your neighbor with it, poke the ground and get up a weed. You know all these violent things that we have? Like, get after those weeds. Well, first, make sure that they're really the weeds, because some of them are native plants and they need to be there. I just mean all of our thoughts need to be lifted, but the idea is that one day and this idea we keep pushing it off going well, one day that'll happen, beloved, not without you changing your mind, not without me changing our mind.
Speaker 2: And Jesus is offering this story and saying the same thing, and I think oftentimes those are pushed to the sweet by and by. Well, that's heaven you're talking about, but we're here.
Speaker 1: But we prayed a prayer this morning.
Speaker 2: While we're here, we're going to fight, but we prayed a prayer.
Speaker 1: As it is in heaven, may it be done here on the earth. We want what heaven has, we want that for ourselves and we are earnestly praying for it, and so it may take us changing our minds to the thoughts that God has. But the religious scholars responded the one who demonstrated kindness and mercy. Jesus said you must go and do the same as he, the one who demonstrates kindness and mercy. Kindness and mercy is the path of Jesus. It has always been, but it is even before Jesus. In fact, there's one time in the scripture where King David has gotten himself. He worked it out. He's gone through lots of periods of insanity, many, many insane thinkings and doings, but he's at this big table and he asks a question of everyone at the table and he's like isn't there someone that I can show kindness to? If you're going to be a person who follows David, follow him in the path of kindness, is there anyone I can show kindness to? And someone at the table pipes up yeah, there is a person who really needs your kindness and he sets it straight. So I want to encourage you, at the table around, wherever it is that you're eating, and the people that you commune with, ask a question who can we show kindness to? Jesus says to this person, the man who demonstrates kindness and mercy you must go and do the same as he. This is the words of Jesus, beloved. These are the words that should mean a lot to us. This is the path that we're following. Jesus is the person that we're following into trueness, into real life, into abundance, into returning to love that God actually invites us into. And he says you must go and do the same as he. Beloved brothers and sisters, our responsibility as followers of Jesus is to be full of kindness and mercy, tender mercy and mercy, tender mercy, compassionate hearts turning toward those who are oppressed, who are hungry, who are darned, trodden, who are in any kind of distress at all. This is the way of Christ, and we are invited In fact, more than invited, we are told. If we are following Jesus, this is what we must do. We must be people who have good deeds, who pay attention in our wake to the suffering around us, and then bring the resources we have in order to bring healing to the world.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm excited for us to be able to move to this part of the service.
Speaker 1: Kylie is going to do a blessing for us as we enter into this third season of Lent, and then we are going to celebrate Holy Communion together. So, deep breath in, receive the blessing that is yours without paying for it. Jesus already has, but we invite you into this moment of blessing.
Speaker 3: This is a spring equinox blessing. God of balance, we ask your blessing at this threshold, when light and dark are equal. Teach us to welcome both into our lives, making room for joy and sorrow, for sunlight shimmering and moonlight. Moonlight radiance, as the light continues to grow and birds and insects begin their migrations, journeying by impulse and intuition. Help us to listen to your call and to move in a holy direction. Inspire us to celebrate the burgeoning and blossoming of buds all around us as well as within our hearts. Holy gardener, we hope you've enjoyed this week's sermon.
Speaker 1: If you would like more information about us, visit us.