Speaker 1: Welcome to the First Love Church Podcast. This is a collection of Sunday teachings inspired by the Revised Common Lectionary and recorded weekly in Ocala, florida. You were not content to cede even one speck of ground to the enemy of our souls or to the cruel kingdom of death. You were ever mindful of our plight. You took on body, blood and breath, and you clothed in our condition that you might move in symphony to save and shelter us From the living temple of your flesh. Perfect justice, perfect mercy were met and there, in the shedding of your own blood, they were forced to be reconciled in love. You subdued the sting of death. By death, you conquered death and you rescued us from the fear of death and from its power. You have made all things well, o Christ. You have made all things well.
Speaker 2: Hear the word of the Lord. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior. The powers of darkness sought to swallow you in death's black waters.
Speaker 1: O Christ, but going under that flood, you drank death down like a river and you drank death's reservoir die. All praise to you, lord Christ. You swallowed death for us and in that willing sacrifice you pushed death back upon itself like the last lapping wade in the turning of the tide, the high watermark now fading as death's dominion ebbs out for the last time Its power to terrorize God's people, forever destroyed by God's own passing through it, through death. Oh Lord, you have given us life. You have made all things well. Eternal king, you have made all things well. You have made all things well. The grip of death already slips. It cannot slow the steady progress of resurrection, now advancing one day to be made visible in the full outworking of infinite glad expectations. The door that led to death has been remade by Christ into the door that now opens into everlasting life. You have made all things well, christ. You have made all things well.
Speaker 3: Hear the word of the Lord, for he has rescued us from the domination of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Speaker 1: And now, king of all space and time, raise your scepter and declare the advent of the age, declare healing and remaking of the world, the great rejoining of these realms of earth and heaven and the eternal dwelling of God with his people in the reconstructed canyons of creation. We who live in this shadow land of death's last stand await your appearance and your command. O Christ, every longing of our souls, every molecule in our physical bodies is crying for yearning for reaching for twilted, for the irresistible gravity of your being and your glory. Come quickly, lord Jesus. We await your speaking of the word that will roll up death like an old, disintegrating scroll, bind it with iron band and cast it into flames. Christ alone will wear the crown. Christ alone is worthy of the name that is above all names, that every knee will bow and every tongue will proclaim the righteousness of his coronation. All sorrows we endure for now are but a rattling grass of the signal of death's defeat. Christ's heel is planted on death's neck. Death cannot breathe, and this space in which we grieve is the long exhale of death's last expiring breath. This age of passing sorrows is but a long death rattle of death itself. The outcome bears no hint of doubt. The work is done, the victory is won. Death will be undone, all the works of death will be undone, and we, whose lives are hid with Christ in God, will rise to live eternal. Every one. You have made all things well, o Christ. You have made all things well.
Speaker 2: Hear the word of the Lord, we know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again. Death no longer has dominion over him.
Speaker 1: The victory is yours, o King, and now claim what is your own Every inch of earth, all the span of heaven, field and skies, and stars and seas, all continents, all forests, all nebula, all galaxies, all creatures and all peoples, all principalities, all governments, all time and history, all wonder and mystery, all loves, all hearts, all principalities, all governments, all time and history, all wonder and mystery, all loves, all hearts, all lives. All of this is yours the crown, the throne, the prize, the name above all names, the kingdom and the joy, the glory and the praise, the victory over death, the conquering of the grave, the King of Kings, we offer today eternal adoration. And now let your resurrection at last be worked through the fabric of creation, till every fiber, every atom, every particle in play is bathed in your holy light, consecrated forever as your own, until every sorrow that we've sustained is redeemed, restored and remain. Till ones we've lost and loved and grieved are joining us again. Till all the brokenness that breaks our world is, by your word, made whole. You have made all things well, o Lord of life, o King of creation, o Christ who conquers death, you have made all things well. You are the radiant end toward which all creation ends. You dwell in the fullness of God and through you all things are reconciled to God. You are the beginning and the firstborn among the dead. You are the firstborn over all creation. You are the church's living head. In all things you are supreme. All the glory is your eternal glory. You are faithful and true. You have kept your promises. O Christ, who gives us life, we give you praise, amen. Amen.
Speaker 3: Hear the word of the Lord. I am the resurrection and the life, he that believeth me through.
Speaker 2: he were dead, yet shall he live, Hear the word of the Lord On this mountain. He will destroy the shroud that enfolds all peoples, the sheet that covers all nations. He will swallow up death forever. The sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces. In that day they will say Surely, this is our God. We trusted in him and he saved us. This is the Lord. We trusted in him. Let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation.
Speaker 3: Hear the word of the Lord. Praise be to God and the Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ. In his great mercy. He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
Speaker 2: Hear the word of the Lord. I am the living one. I was dead and now, look, look, I am alive forever and ever, and I hold the keys of death and Hades.
Speaker 3: Crush this age-old darkness, o Christ, in the winepress of your everlasting light. Trample this old darkness and from it draw the wine of everlasting life.
Speaker 2: Abend. All works of death. Make all things new, make all things right. You have made all things well.
Speaker 1: You have made all things well. O Christ, he is risen. He is risen indeed. Thank you, ladies. We are grateful again that you are with us this morning. Grateful again that you are with us this morning. Oh, what joy to be in God's house with you, to be remembering, to be reminded of truth. We are so grateful that you are here with us in person. For those of you who are with us online, we're grateful for your participation and for your remembering as well. As we read the stories this morning, I remind you that there are four different accounts of the resurrection in the Gospels, and this morning we'll be reading two. I encourage you to read the other ones just to see what another perspective would have been like. And so this morning, I am so grateful again that we can gather together, that we can hear the word of the Lord and that we can remember this is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. This is the good news. The good good news I want to read to us for a moment from Revelation. And there was another angel with a golden incense burner that came and stood at the altar and a great amount of incense was given to him to mix with the prayers of God's people as an offering on the golden altar before the throne, and the smoke of the incense, mixed with the prayers of God's holy people, ascended to God from the altar where the angel poured them out. There is such a hope in our remembering that our prayers, that our desires matter and they matter to God, that the prayers that we pray are joined with the prayers of the ancients, are joined with the prayers of those who have gone on before us. We stand amidst a cloud of witnesses, and so this morning, in God's house, we remind you that you do not stand here alone. You stand here with those who have loved you and who remind you this morning. This is your place. You belong in the house of God, you belong in the family of God. You are worthy to be at the table.
Speaker 4: Well, we just welcome everyone here today. Happy Easter. The folks that are online, welcome, and thank you for coming and being a part of the church service. It's nice to see our family get together. You know, on on these holidays and stuff, uh, we we tend to uh, uh, see some folks that maybe we're just or watching online or or maybe live in other states or whatever. So, welcome to all of you and uh and uh, it's just good to to be together with you in the house of the Lord. Thank you for being here today.
Speaker 1: Amen. Very early on Sunday morning the women went to the tomb taking the spices they had prepared. Pay attention to love story here this morning. This is one of the best love stories that you will ever read or ever hear about. This is a love story. That is our love story. It is the story of God's love for the world, but our love, particularly the love of women for Jesus who came and who said, even though he is physically gone, love is eternal, beloved, and we remind you of that, that even though people are physically gone from us, their love is eternal. And this morning, for those of you who hold the line, who hold on to hope and to love, that was here and now you cannot see it anymore. This is the grace that has been given us on this service. They found the stone that had been rolled away from the entrance. Pause there just for a moment. In another one of the stories, the women are getting ready and then they say we're all going. Of course the women were up early. I don't know if that says anything about the men, but I'm just telling you what the text says. The women were up early and they were busy getting things ready and they did it out of love, out of their intention, out of their rituals, and they bring these things and they say, not in these ones, but in the other accounts. Well, we're going to go there, but who will roll the stone away? Because they know full well there will be an obstacle to do the things that they want to do. There is something in the way for them to live the way they want to live and they ask themselves, well, who's gonna roll the stone away so that we can love the way that we know how to love?
Speaker 4: and I think that's the beautiful part and the takeaway for us is that there is in all of our lives a stone, there's something that is too large for us to move. But can we see here in this text and extrapolate that truth, that when there is an obstacle between you and Jesus, god will move it? Amen. Amen, and so that's the thing that I can remind myself. Sometimes I have to remind myself, but I can't trust that Amen.
Speaker 1: They found the stone had been rolled away from the entrance, so they went in, but they didn't find the body of the Lord Jesus. And they stood there puzzled and two men suddenly appeared to them clothed in dazzling robes, and the women were terrified and they bowed with their faces to the ground. And the men asked why are you looking among the dead for someone who is alive? He is not here. He is risen from the dead. Remember what he told you back in Galilee that the son of man must be betrayed into the hands of sinful men and be crucified and that he would rise again on the third day. And then they remembered that he said this. So they rushed back from the tomb to tell the 11 disciples and everyone else what had happened. And it was Mary Magdalene, joanna, mary, the mother of James, and several other women who told the apostles what had happened, but the story sounded like nonsense to the men, so they didn't believe it. However, peter jumped up and ran to the tomb to look and, stooping in, he peered and saw the empty linen wrappings and he went home again, wondering what had happened. There's so much to talk about in this particular story. There's two things I want to talk about the church and kind of what this tells us, and it's a beautiful pattern for us on why we gather together to remember because, beloved, sometimes we forget what our Jesus told us. These people had been told by Christ don't worry about this, I am coming back. And then, when it actually happened, they totally forgot about what he said and they were stuck in their grief and they needed each other to come and remind them. Remember the words of Christ, remember what it looked like when he was among us, and so this morning I remind you this is the hope. Remember the words of Christ. Remember the voice that you heard deep within yourself that told you that you are loved. Remember the voice that calls your name.
Speaker 4: You know, know, there's two things in this passage of scripture that stand out to me. One is in verse five, where it says why do you look for the living among the dead? You know, that's a profound truth to uh, to our life, that oftentimes we're looking for things to satisfy us. I don't know if you've ever got caught in a scrolling trap where you're looking for that next endorphin hit. So you scroll to the next thing on the phone and you look up and realize that you're two to three hours in on this thing. Anyone ever had that happen. Why are you looking for the living among the dead? Anyone ever had that happen. Why are you looking for the living among the dead? You know, my friend said one time he did it and he scrolled to the end of the internet. I don't think that happened, but I will tell you that there is no life there. Every time I do it, I look and regret the time that I've wasted, and every time that I've looked everywhere else for joy and satisfaction. In times past I've you know it's been a failure to me. Why do we continue? And we do look for the living among the dead, and so it reminds us. You know in all these places that we're convinced we need to find happiness. Just remember that it's in that relationship with God and it's coming and being part of a church family like this, where we can share the truth and we can inspire one another. And where can I find people of like faith and people who are alive in christ unless I come among the living? Amen, and so it's good to be around now.
Speaker 1: Some of you, uh, don't seem all that living and while it was yet early I think that's the key for all of us it's early. You haven't had a lot of coffee yet, or a lot of resurrection yet, so we speak that truth over you. But why do we look for the living among the uncaffeinated?
Speaker 4: haven't had a lot of coffee yet or a lot of resurrection yet. So we speak that truth over you. But why do we look for the living among the uncaffeinated?
Speaker 1: No, that's not it. That's not what it says. Christ is risen, and maybe caffeine will help us in those kind of ways too. Perhaps not, but here is the hope for all of us. Maybe we should think about that for a moment the next time we go to something and we find a disappointment. Maybe we should look and go. Was I looking for the living among this thing that is dead? Christ is alive within us. Christ is given to us as not only a pattern, but the spirit of Christ alive inside of each one of us. There is a hope for us this morning to remember this resurrection story.
Speaker 4: Amen, and I said, there was two things that really stood out to me. And the second thing I wanted to speak to briefly is the idea that the women came and shared with the disciples what had happened, and they didn't believe them. They thought it was a load of malarkey. I think if that's a thing, I don't know. If that's a thing I don't know. But people oftentimes ask me you know, pastor Dennis, you've had. You and Heather have had 34 years of marriage. How is it possible With the same person? Because I had a friend in 57 years of marriage, but it was with 13 different women. That's a true story. And he asked me if I wanted him to speak on marriage and I said no. But if we do a seminar on divorce, you'll be the first one I'll call. But for Heather and I this might sound old-fashioned, but Heather and I decided in the very beginning that we would divide up the responsibilities, that all you know. Major decisions would be made by me but all minor decisions would be made by her. And in 34 years there's never been a major decision. There's never been a major decision. That's it. No, I just but I do want to in all sincerity say that because I try to do like the disciples and said it is true. What the women have said is true. I believe that many relationships in effect you can back it up with science by the Gottman Institute but relationships have a 90% failure rate when the man is unwilling to listen to reason from his spouse. Some of you are shaking your heads in sorrow, but I got to tell you that we're gifted with our partners and you don't have to worry women, because us men will tell you how gifted you are. But it's the men that need to wake up and realize the gift that we have and that's been such a salvation for Heather and I in our relationship is for me, as bullheaded as I am to go now. Now listen, the Holy Spirit lives on the inside of my wife, so I better listen to what God is saying and uh and really trust uh that, and I think it's a problem in the church in in America, and it's not, I noticed as I went over to Europe. It's, uh, it's not uncommon that the entire church be staffed by women pastors. Although it's uncommon here in America, it's not worldwide. Dr Cho has the largest church in the world. I think 85% of his pastors are women and there's tens of thousands of pastors in that church and there's tens of thousands of pastors in that church and I think other people realize what we've missed out is the wonderful gift and godly input that we have when we work together as teams of men and women that surrender our gifts and talents to God. Amen, amen. This is a beautiful.
Speaker 1: I didn't get too big of an amen they're thinking about it.
Speaker 4: This is a beautiful. I didn't get too big on amen, they're thinking about it.
Speaker 1: This is a beautiful invitation.
Speaker 4: Help me.
Speaker 1: Jesus. This is a beautiful invitation also to remember that if somebody says something that is difficult for you to believe, you're welcomed among the resurrected, because this story is a little preposterous and there are things that when people tell us seem preposterous like. And there are things that, when people tell us seem preposterous like, your sins are forgiven. There is nothing that separates you from God.
Speaker 4: Sounds a little preposterous.
Speaker 1: I felt a separation this morning. That's okay, beloved, your doubt is welcomed, your questions are welcomed. This is an invitation to question everything. Do I even know what death is? Do I even know what life is? This is an invitation into more. And so, as we listen to this, I want you to hear Mary's good news. And she begins to tell us in the next part too and I love this I have seen the Lord. She begins to tell what she has experienced and what the beauty of this story is. Tells us listen. If you can't believe it, get up and go to the tomb. If what someone tells you is too good to believe, find your way to God and ask God yourself. There is no separation between you and God. There is nothing that can separate you from the love of Christ. That is the good news, beloved. Here is the good news of faith I read to you from first Corinthians and if our hope in Christ is only for this life, then we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world. But in fact, christ has been raised from the dead. He is the first of great harvest over all who have died. So you see, just as death came into the world through a man. Now the resurrection from the death had begun through another man. Just as everyone dies because we all belong to Adam, everyone who belongs to Christ will be given new life. But there is an order to this resurrection. Christ was raised at the first of the harvest, and all who belong to Christ will be raised when he comes back, and after that the end will come and he will turn the kingdom over to God the harvest. Then, all who belong to Christ will be raised when he comes back, and after that the end will come and he will turn the kingdom over to God the Father, having destroyed every ruler, authority and power. For Christ must reign until he humbles all his enemies beneath his feet, and the last enemy to be destroyed is death. From John's account early Sunday morning, while it was still dark, mary Magdalene came to the tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance. In this particular account, mary comes by herself and she comes out of love. She comes because she has a connection and she knows that even death does not mar that connection. She ran and she found Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, and she said they have taken the Lord's body out of the tomb and we do not know where they have put him. And Peter and the other disciples started out for the tomb and they were both running and the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. I remind you of the author, who is the one who is apparently a better at a foot race. He is young and he is a runner and he is reminding us. But I want to ask you maybe it's not about a foot race, maybe it is something more. Peter has denied Jesus. Peter has denied Jesus so many times that I cannot imagine the shame and the guilt that he must live with. He is in the company of other believers, but he knows what he has done and what I see in this story is such an act of incredible beauty. His friend is bringing him with us let's see, let's see. And his friend will not go in and see unless Peter is there with him. Beloved, this is what community looks like that we give each other an opportunity to find the love of Christ, to find this hope, to find each other and say I'll wait for you before we go into the tomb. I'll wait for you because it's important. We know together that Christ is here among us. We pause here for a moment to thank you for joining us today. If you're finding this episode meaningful, would you take a moment to share it with a friend? This podcast is made possible thanks to the generosity of people just like you. If you would like to support the ongoing work of First Love Church and the continued work of our podcast, visit us online at firstlovechurchorg, reminding you to like, follow and subscribe. She found Simon Peter and the other disciple the one who Jesus loved and she said they have taken the Lord's body out of the tomb and we don't know where they've put him. And Peter and the other disciple started out for the tomb. They were both running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb. First he stopped and looked in and saw the linen wrappings lying there, but he didn't go in. And then Simon Peter arrived and went inside and he also noticed the linen wrappings lying there and while the cloth that had covered Jesus's head was folded up and lying apart from the other wrappings, then the disciple who reached the tomb first went in and saw and believed, for until then, then they hadn't understood the scriptures that said Jesus must rise from the dead. And then they went home and Mary was still standing outside the tomb crying and as she went she stooped and looked in. In other accounts of this this tomb is in a garden. Accounts of this this tomb is in a garden and Mary is there in the garden. And there is such a hope in this retelling of the Genesis story. Mary reminds us that she is Eve and that she comes to this garden, that she knows what she is looking for, this beautiful story redeemed, that Eve stands in love with the Christ, with God, and that the hope of the spirit that we are being called as women and as men, not just to hold the line for grief, but to hold the line and remember there is a promise of resurrection coming. There is a promise of resurrection. Can you go to the next slide? We're gonna leave at 10. Mary was standing outside the tomb crying and as she wept, she stooped and looked in and she saw two white robed angels, one sitting at the head and the other at the foot of the place where the body of Jesus had been lying. Dear woman, why are you crying? I believe when we meet the presence of love, love knows that we are in pain. Sometimes we have been told that, in order to be a part of belonging or a part of a person of faith, that you have to ignore your grief and beloved. You do not cry as much as you need to allow those to be prayers, to be tears, allow the grief to be holy and listen to an angel who does not scoff but says why are you crying? Not because you should rush on, but tell me about it. Tell me about it, tell me about the pain, tell me about what you lost, tell me about what you hoped for, because they have taken away my Lord. She replied, and I don't know where they have put him. So she turned to leave and she saw someone standing there and it was Jesus, but she did not recognize him. And this is the part that shimmers to me this morning. Beloved, how often is Jesus right next to us and we do not recognize him? How often in your life do you feel alone and the Christ is right there with you, in you, and yet you have determined that you are there alone, and yet there is the voice of your beloved, there is the christ with you.
Speaker 4: You are never alone you know, I think the the hope of easter for us as believers is resurrection. His new life is awakening and, uh, and I would ask that, that we would uh, uh, ask god to help us in in this kind of revelation and this kind of awakening. Awaken me to realize where, where you are in the middle of what I'm going through because you're here, but, but my eyes need to be opened to, because right now I just feel like I'm abandoned, I'm forgotten, and that's not true. Uh, that's the the, the thing that, uh, my illusion tells me. You know, my ego tells me. But if I can open my eyes and really see what spirit's doing, I can realize that there's a purpose for this. And I know that in my past life there's things that I went through that were very difficult at that time. But if I can be honest now, looking back, that had I not gone through it, I wouldn't be able to speak with the authority that I speak and share with my family and my children in my own life, have confidence, and so, in that, I'm grateful that I went through it, although it was so painful and uh, but that only happens when the Spirit of God lets us be awakened, and I think that for a large portion of my life, I was asleep in the fact that I was chasing my career, I was getting up in the morning and doing what I needed to do, and I had my hobbies and my interests, but all that stuff was a life that was outside of an awareness of what God wanted to do or what my spirit actually needed, and so, in a way, I was a zombie, I was the walking dead. I had this stuff going on, but there wasn't an awakening in me spiritually. Now I don't know if anyone can relate to that because of things in the past, or if anybody potentially is asleep right now. And I'm nudging them, but I know, for me, when you nudge me in the morning, I start swinging my arms Go away, I'm comfortable, I want to be left alone, I'm sleepy, but I set the alarm, or I asked you to wake me, because there are things that I need to do and I can only do them when I'm awake. So I need to rise up. Oh, you sleeper, you know, and that's to me. I mean, I love the promise of the resurrection and the life to come, but what happens today for me? To me, I mean, I love the promise of the resurrection and the life to come. But what happens today for me, because of this truth, because of the knowledge of Christ's resurrection, that I can be awakened today, that I can be resurrected from my slumber, that I can get out of that zombified state and actually walk in a relationship, is anybody hearing what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: The promise of resurrection is not what I'm saying. The promise of resurrection is not just for another life. The promise of resurrection is for this life, and I will tell you two paths to this life. That is there. It is the death of ego's control and it is resurrection by the spirit. And if you will take those two steps, I believe that there is such an ushering of the Spirit that allows us to say resurrect in me hope, I give up cynicism and resurrect in me the hope of Christ. There is for us a call, an awakening. I read to you from an Easter homily from the 7th century. I know that you were all hoping that I would, but I often go back and read very, very ancient texts, and one of the reasons I do that is because I enjoy it. But also also the prophet Jeremiah said this stop and ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good ways are. Follow those roads and you will find rest for your soul. Beloved. There is rest in reestablishing the ancient paths, in reminding ourselves of this. So I go back because I remind you that we have an ancient faith, that this is a faith that is given to us from the church, from the witnesses, from the women who said I have seen the Lord. There is another way of living, beloved Jesus, and the love of Jesus should radicalize you. You should think other thoughts. You should allow yourself to be resurrected because the love of Christ has so radicalized us. This is the Jesus movement, I remind you, from the first time after Jesus died until around the fourth century, declaring that you were a Jesus follower was asking for execution, and so this invitation into this radical life. You must ask yourself this question what kind of love did Jesus have that religion and empires were threatened by it? What kind of love do we have within us to be able to be spilled out on the world that evil would be threatened by our love? And there is a hope for us in opening our thoughts, in allowing the Holy Spirit to give us a new way of thinking, to give us a new hope, and this it was in particular for Holy Saturday, for the harrowing of death. There are such, there are so many beautiful, beautiful, hopeful things here, but I want to read just this one. This was from Epiphanius and again the 7th century, and this is a dialogue that this particular priest said went on between Christ and Adam Christ has entered Sheol. The Lord himself enters among them, burying his conquering cross, and he takes beloved Adam by the hand and says rise up, you who sleep, and Christ will enlighten you. I am your God, but because of you I became your son and because of you, all those who descend from you, I now speak with the authoritative command to the prisoners depart. To those in darkness, be enlightened. To those who are asleep, awaken. I command you, adam, wake up. Awake, thou that sleepest. I did not create you for this, that you would remain dead. Arise in my likeness, made in my very own image. Arise and let us leave this place, for you are in me and I am in you, and we are one Beloved. This is the hope of all of us In John, chapter 17,. This is what Jesus prays Lord, make us one. The promise of resurrection is that we can live differently.
Speaker 4: You know, and I'd like to talk for a minute Heather mentioned something about the ego and I, just you know, I want to remind us of the simple truths. I I love that about our church is that we're going to talk probably this week we did last week and probably next week about the love of god all the weeks.
Speaker 1: We're just going to keep talking about it.
Speaker 4: Just all the weeks you know, and, and it's the simple things. But it never gets old because it's so transformative and it's and it's who god is. It's not just an attribute. God literally is love. So how much more important would it be that a church talk about god?
Speaker 1: yes, if you're a church and all you know, but?
Speaker 4: but we're talking about the ego and Heather, just read a story that reminds us of the scripture, where Jesus prays that we would be one with God, the way Jesus and the Father are one, and I want you to understand the simple truth. That's what this is all about. Yes, simple truth, that's what this is all about. Yes, your draw from the time you were a little child to spiritual things, the sense inside of you that certain spiritual practices and I shouldn't say spiritual, certain religious practices were funky Can we use that word? Not funky like James Brown, funky like we need to throw that fish away it's been in the fridge too long. Funky Because James Brown good, rotten fish bad. But as a small child we knew some of us. You know, and you can call on that. What was that drawing? What was that desire? There's always been a desire for you and I to be one with God, but there's always been an opposition within you, and it is your ego. And it's the desire to be one with God. But there's always been an opposition within you, and it is your ego and it's the desire to be noticed, to be special, to be different. And that's been the war since the time we drew our first breath. And it will be the battle until we're when that scripture is fulfilled, that you're one. But it's not something that we give up on, it's something that we allow our hearts to surrender on the side of unity, of oneness, of my way or the highway. You know those people. They're so hard to get along with because their ego's screaming so high. It's about me, it's all about me. And the truth is, christ laid down his life. You know, I had an experience. I'll try to share it shortly. But I was in Wales and a man said to me do you want to go to an ancient forest? Do you want to go to the oldest forest in all of Wales? Yeah, give me the directions. And he pulled out my phone and he did the blow up on the map and he put a pin. He said you'll park right here by this bar it's named this and go in and have a pint if you want. They were closed, but we parked there and we started to walk and I went up and I thought I'm going to go up in an ancient forest and I know that I'm going to meet God up in this ancient forest. And so I I went up there and and I'm hustling along and I'm climbing and I'm getting exhausted and God's nowhere to be found and all of a sudden, at one point I felt like I should take my shoes off. So I'm up in the forest and I took my and this is a huge commitment because I've got those shoes with the laces that go all the way up. They're hiking boots and I took them off and I sat there and I thought, well, what's going to happen, you know, is a burning bush going to happen? I mean, the last time I read about this and it was just an opportunity, I think God had me to slow down and stop. And I looked over and I felt like God said I want you to learn from that tree that's right next to me. And I thought, oh no, I'm about to get kicked out of the church. You know the Christians, just they seem to hate tree huggers and all this. And now you got me talking to the tree, lord, what's going on all this? And now you got me talking to the tree, lord, what's going on? And I looked at that tree and I and I felt like the spirit lord said what do you see? And when I looked at that tree, I saw moss growing all up around the tree. You couldn't even see the bark. There was so much moss. And where there wasn't moss, there was vines wrapped around the tree. And where there wasn't plants and ferns growing off of the tree and vines and moss, there were birds and animals just climbing throughout this whole tree. And the Lord said do you see the tree? And I said not really. I said all I can see is the life around the tree that it's supporting. And the Lord said now you're getting it, now you're starting to understand. You want to be a beautiful tree that everybody looks at. I want you to be the kind of tree that disappears because of the life that it supports. I never, ever in my life, saw a more clear vision and understanding of the difference between my ego and oneness with God and surrender. Where do we look for opportunities to lay down our lives Like Christ, who is our example? But we're looking for places to be noticed and to be seen and to show up and show off and increase in gain. And all the increase in gain is great when it comes through you, to other people. And all of that growth and all that strength is amazing when it's used to increase the life of those things that are around us. Will we allow oneness or we will continue to kick and fight to be special when? How amazing is it is that? And how special is it that you were called, that you were chosen to be a part of a community, of a collective, of a family, because all that greatness is you alone, and when the end comes, all that matters is our unity, our family, our oneness with each other. I don't know, heather. I think they're starting to turn on me.
Speaker 1: She turned to leave and saw someone standing there. It was Jesus, but she didn't recognize him. Dear woman, why are you crying? Jesus asked her who are you looking for? And she thought it was the gardener Sir. She said if you have taken him away, tell me where you have put him and I will go and get him. Mary, jesus said. And she turned to him and cried out Rabboni, which is Hebrew for teacher. This is when she recognizes the Christ, when she hears him call her name. Beloved, listen for love calling your name. If you're confused, if you doubt, if you do not know if the stories are true, listen for love calling your name. Do not cling to me, jesus said, for I have not yet ascended to the father, but go and find my brothers and tell them I am ascending to my father and your father to my God and your God. God is making a proclamation here, through Christ, to you and to me today. This is the oneness that we are speaking of. God is saying he's not only my God, he's your God, he's our God. This is the hope that family has been restored, that there is an awakening and a spiritual resurrection of our thoughts, of our intentions. And Mary Magdalene found the disciples and told them I have seen the Lord. And then she gave them his message. What an incredible, beautiful hope for us, beloved. Where have you seen love? Where have you seen the lord? And the invitation is for us to trust the voice inside of us that tells us that we are loved, that we are welcomed into the family, that god is with us always, that love is a reason for hope, that death does not have the final word, that love is eternal. Beloved, you can trust love. You can trust love. Love becomes our anchor, this love that is eternal, and it draws us to look, and I love this portion of the scripture where Jesus says to her don't cling to this form. Yet there is an expansion that is offered to us by the holy spirit. Allow christ to be renewed, to be ascended with you, and for god to invite you back into the understanding and awareness that you are never apart from him, that god is with you always, that you are always loved you know, know, I was standing there, sitting there on the side of that ancient forest, crying with my shoes off, and it's cold.
Speaker 4: I'm like how am I even going to put my shoes back on? And I felt like you learn to just walk down the mountain without your shoes on. I'm like I am a tenderfoot, I can't even walk outside right now. Step on a rock and just light me up. I'm now I'm all the way up on this mountain and I feel like the Lord tells me to walk down. And so I did. I threw my tie to my shoe strings together and threw them on my shoulder and I walked down barefooted. And I got to tell you that I walked so careful. Every step was methodic. My way up that mountain I was running and I was just hiking, but on the way down I was very careful at every step and I was slow. It took me 15 minutes to get up there, 45 minutes to get back down.
Speaker 1: And that's with gravity.
Speaker 4: And I got to tell you that every step, I saw the most beautiful things. And I got to tell you that every step I saw the most beautiful things, and it was a slower walk but it was much more beautiful Because it was with intention. It was awake to the fact that if I step in the wrong place, and I was so aware of the importance of what each step meant, you know, and I think that there's a place for us, and I hope so aware of the importance of what each step meant, and I think that there's a place for us, and I hope that you don't just hear another resurrection story. And yes, he's risen, he's risen indeed. But if all we do is put that in our cap as something to remember that one day is going to happen to you, then you miss what could be happening in your life. Right now. There is a power of resurrection. There is a power in awakening. There's a power in surrendering to unity and oneness. There's a tremendous working of the Holy Spirit in our families. When we stop trying to be the center of all, you know how many, many, how much resources are consumed by our oneness and how welcome come on in and uh and and how important that is to uh to us and how troublesome it is for everyone around us.
Speaker 1: Help us, lord I invite you this morning to just to consider what it would have been like and maybe you can already know this to be confused about something, to have thought things were going to go one way and then find out they've gone another. I offer, I offer a blessing this morning, blessing from the Magdalene. Would you close your eyes this morning as I speak over you? This blessing, I ask right now. The Holy Spirit would be among us and in us and around us, and I trust that love reminds you that you are safe in the house of God. You hardly imagine standing here. Everything you ever loved suddenly returned to you, looking you in the eye and calling you by name. And now you do not know how to abide this ache in the center of your chest, where a door slams shut and swings open at the same time. Turning on the hinge of your aching and yet hopeful heart, I tell you this is not banishment from the garden, this is an invitation, a choice, a threshold, a gate. This is your life, calling to you from a place you could never have dreamed, but now that you have glimpsed its edge, you cannot imagine choosing any other way. So let the tears come as anointing as consecration and let them go and let this blessing gather itself around you, let it give you what you need for this journey, and you will not remember the words, because they do not matter. All you need to remember is how it sounded when you stood in the place of death and you heard the living call your name. We hope you've enjoyed this week's sermon. If you would like more information about us, visit us online at firstlovechurchorg.