Speaker 1: Welcome to the First Love Church podcast. This is a collection of Sunday teachings inspired by the Revised Common Lectionary and recorded weekly in Ocala, florida. We're already in a good service because you are here, your presence with us, your intention to come and to be reminded of the sacred presence we talked a lot in the singing and also here the kingdom of God, this beautiful understanding, and I want to remind you what Jesus said the kingdom is so close, it's in you. The kingdom is as close as your own breath and there is such hope in that remembrance that, no matter where we are, we can have peace, we can be in love, we can hear grace, because the kingdom is within us. I am grateful to be in your presence this week and it is joy to share with you our following of Jesus and we listen to the scripture to tell us the witness of Jesus and it is hope this morning that we offer to you and hopefully, by the spirit who is with us and the spirit who is a thought adjuster, the spirit will change our perspective on things. I remind you that the teacher that we have, jesus, the path that we follow, jesus, was a radical and he was radical in the way that he loved. And he said you'll be known as my followers by your love and so beloved. We're invited into radical love. We're invited into love that changes the world. We're invited into this way. Jesus said this. He said I want to remind you that you've heard it said love your neighbors and hate your enemies. But I say unto you and Jesus constantly asked us to change our culture perspective and invited us into love I say unto you to love your enemies and to pray for those who are horrible about you. And so this invitation into connection, this invitation into love, I remind you this morning that you are loved and that each one of us come, many of us come with different pieces of us being held or different experiences that have shaped us this week, and I remind you of your place in God's family. You are loved, you are held and you are wanted. In fact, this morning, right before the service, one of our friends said that she had family member that were giving birth to babies right now, twin babies, and today two babies will be born. And what a grace that is, as we remember that. And then my other friend came in and said to me right after service today I will go to a funeral and it was such a beautiful reminder that right now, the present, is what we have, Right now, that there is a beginning and there is an ending in other life, but right now, together, we are in the presence of love, we are in the presence of each other and there is goodness here you know, last night I was sitting in bed, uh, doing a little scrolling before I went to sleep, and I know that's not always a good idea, but uh, I decided on this one I would learn something, and so I I scroll.
Speaker 2: You might want to do this because it's really cool to I put how does quantum computing work?
Speaker 1: Right before you go to bed you should have those kind of thoughts.
Speaker 2: Listen, listen now Don't shake your head before you hear how powerful this is. Regular computing works where it takes an idea, solves it and goes on to the next idea. Quantum computing considers all of those possibilities at the same time and I was thinking well, that's a. It took ten minutes for them to get. That is all I understood. I said well, god, how does that affect me? And he said well, remember when I said in all circumstances, have joy. This is how you do it, because it can happen. There's all kinds of possibilities, but in every situation you can have joy. And I thought about that with the decision for me to be able to be loving. There's all kinds of choices I want to make, but there is the power to make that right one. I don't know if it had the same effect on you maybe I was dozing off to sleep and and uh, so I was in some kind of realm but I I. That's better than than the way it looks on your face, because I'm telling you God has already wired it within the universe that you have the power to have joy in every situation, because every possibility is there at once. I feel sometimes and I've felt in the past I'm doomed. I'm just having a bad day. No, god has given every possibility towards me to have joy. He's wired the fabric of the universe so that I don't have an excuse to be miserable. Oh man, maybe one person can get behind me on this you with me, carol. I, me and carol are going to have joy, no matter what, because god has given me that ability and I and I just sit there and I thought about that, because sometimes that stuff washes over me, I get aggravated by things. So the other day I got so aggravated, heather I said. I said to heather said your guru husband sure about lost it today. You know, we think sometimes we're really getting somewhere and something can just get under our skin and I just love being reminded by God the infinite ability and possibility for transformation and change. Maybe it'll get to him on the way home, I don't know transformation and change.
Speaker 1: Maybe it'll get to them on the way home, I don't know. Well, we're going to go to the portion of scripture that is going to give us, hopefully, a new way to see, an experience way to see. One of the things that Jesus did all the time in his walking around here on the earth was heal people's sight, healing the blind. And sometimes we relegate it to a literal and say, well, I'm not blind because my eyes are open. But is your eye opened, is the eye of your heart able to see things the way that God sees them, the way that possibility sees them? And is there for us an invitation to the spirit to say can you change the way that I'm thinking about things? We meet up with this particular portion of scripture. Last week we read the beginning here of Colossians chapter one, and because of time not because we couldn't do it I will not go to the very beginning of the chapter and reread it for you, though I think that would be something advantageous for you to do this week. But in Colossians chapter one, the apostle is saying to the church at Colossus, and he's telling them something about God in Christ. He's saying the witness of Christ brings to us this knowledge that Christ is the divine portrait, a true likeness of the invisible God and the firstborn heir of all creation. Here he's reminding us that Christ is supreme, that everything that we have to see, that everything that we hear bows to the living Christ, this understanding that Jesus is the way to the Father and that Jesus is all good, all love, all mercy.
Speaker 2: You know, when you've pastored for a while and you do, uh, offer counseling to people, sometimes I think you've seen it all and then someone will come and surprise me. But I think one of the most amazing things that I have ever witnessed as a pastor was a couple, a christian couple, that came over to our house for counseling. Now, I'm not ratting them out, they're already both passed away and went on to be with the Lord but what they did was in front of us, they started to fight and they started to Bible fight. I've never seen anything like it, because the one was able to point out the other's flaws by using scripture and to point out how wrong they were. Well, you know, according to you know, jeremiah, something you know. A husband does it. Well, according to this, then a wife should do this. And man, I mean, they were like rapid fires, quick as one could throw out a scripture to prove the other one wrong. The other one had a rebuttal and it was absolutely horrifying and impressive all at the same time, because I didn't know you could do that, and Heather and I have since, and we've tried to do a skit, we can't.
Speaker 1: We did observe it, we want to demonstrate it, we cannot but it was church, it was college level crazy.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean? It was like maybe master's degree and crazy. And we're just we're not there yet, so we can't do it. But I bring that up for a really important point that I'm convinced they thought they were right. Yes, yes, yes, and they thought it honored God to take the scripture and bash their mate with the scripture. And I just I have to ask you this question If Jesus was in that marriage, could you see Jesus doing that? If you can, you have a warped view of who Jesus is, and I want you to find out about love. I want you to find out about, really, what the definition of love means that you'd prefer the other person's needs above your own, that you'd do whatever it takes so that that person could be blessed and satisfied and filled with joy, contentment, and that you, that's your business to do. And and I think that as christians, sometimes we have had the bible, you know, uh, you know, beating us over the head with it, and we maybe have even done that ourselves, thinking that's the way this thing works. And we want you to understand a very important principle and it's a key that unlocks you know, it frees you from error. Really, if you didn't see Jesus, do do it. Or you know in your heart jesus wouldn't do it, then don't do it. And if and if somebody's telling you a scripture and in your heart you know that's not jesus. I had several situations in bible school where somebody say a scripture out of whack and I'd say, man, I, I just don't think that's true. And they just beat me, beat me over the head with it, and then I'd start feeling ashamed and then a teacher would walk in the class and go. I don't know why I'm saying this, but you know that scripture that says this it's a complete erroneous to view it this way. It really is this way. And then I'd want to look up and go in your face, but instead I'm like, well, just let God do the conviction. I'm just gonna. But I've just, I've seen God do that over and over. Where, where we, if we'll be open, he'll show us how erroneous we have. And and so many people, they stand on scripture in this holy, pious, self-righteous way that they think they understand. And they've got this handle or grip on God. And they've got this juggernaut or God by the collar saying you said it. Now you're going to do it punk. And I mean I've, really I've got to tell you it feels like they think they're clean. Age to it Is that six or seven bullets Make my day and it's like God is the God of the universe, that we stand in awe and God does what God does because we love not because we cornered him in his word. God loves because God is good, you know, and and so I think sometimes that wrestling in this desire to know and desire to prove, you know it gets us in tremendous error. But I tell you that that relaxing and just resting in god's love for us and for others will help you discern. And if you've been wronged by people that claim to be of god, I bet you the origin of it is absolutely from the fact that they thought they had a leg to stand on scripturally but had no love. And the bible says even thought they had a leg to stand on scripturally but had no love. And the Bible says even if they would look, you know, if you do this without love, you're just a clanging cymbal. You're noisy, just irritant. I might just preach I don't know.
Speaker 1: It is for love that you have been set free. That's what the apostle said to us Don't get entangled again in any kind of bondage, in any kind of law, in any kind of rule that will bind you up again. Love always releases us. Love has always been about liberation. Love is the highest, because love is God. God is love, and so we join with the thoughts of scripture this morning that Jesus is the divine portrait, the true likeness of the invisible God, the firstborn heir of all creation, for through the sun everything was created, both in the heavenly realm and on the earth. Please be aware of this instruction to us, that we not only look here in the earthly realm, but that we would recognize that there is an unseen world that may be even more real than the world that we're currently experiencing, that we would have our inner eye open to recognize that there is a realm that is beautiful and powerful and that is truly real, all that is seen and all that is unseen, every seat of power, realm of government, principality and authority. It was all created through him and for his purpose. He existed before anything was made and now everything finds completion in him. He is the head of his body, who is the church, and since he is the beginning and the firstborn heir of resurrection, he is the most exalted one, holding first place in everything. Again, the apostle is reminding these people Jesus, the Christ, is the head of the church, is the head of everything, and Jesus has the final authority on all things. So if there is something that you don't understand or something that somebody else has brought to you, does it look like Jesus? Now, this was really important to the people then, particularly who saw with their own eyes these things, because Jesus consistently confronted rules and religious laws that kept people bound, and by this I mean there was a law that said because we are honoring the Ten Commandments, we're honoring the Sabbath, then if you see someone who is sick or someone who needs food, then you can't feed them on that day. Now, beloved, I do want to remind you of something that's not just for them, it is for us. There is a difference between legal and moral, and all of our legal laws are not always morally correct, and that is what Jesus confronted. If you see someone who is sick, heal them, bring them to a doctor. I mean, this is the story of the Good Samaritan. Stop what you're doing and take care of that person, people that are made in the image of God. This goodness and this apostle is writing to the church at Kloss and he's saying the exact same thing. Is writing to the church at Colossus, and he's saying the exact same thing. Jesus is the way. If you see Jesus doing it. There was a rule during their time that said no one can touch a leper.
Speaker 2: What they have may be contagious, so we can't touch them, and so they died, often needlessly because we had rules, and one the first thing jesus did was come down and touch lepers and and, and. So here's this idea of and who is jesus? God in the flesh, god in our humanity. Can I just look at that verse 18 for a second, because it says there that he is the head of the body. And so, you know, we, we kind of you know, in our culture it's like who, you know, who's the boss, who's in charge, who's the head, and so we, we hear God saying that he's the boss, he's the head, he's in charge, and so it's like, you know, we kind of get the idea that he's up there, you know, telling us and many people really have their relationship tell us, well, get in line. You know I'm the head, you know. But that's why it's so important to have an understanding of Jesus, because you know, uh, was he around saying to people yeah, get in line, dude. You know, start worshiping, let's see what you got. He went around healing and doing good, so there. So what is it then, when he's saying I'm the head, if he's not telling you that you know I'm, I'm your boss and I'm trying to. You know he's demonstrating something. But it says in verse 17, something real key. It says that we're how does it say that we're completed. I love the way this says Everything finds completion in him and that's what he's offering for us Is not a boss, but that you've been doing it outside and you've been struggling by yourself and you'll never really get it right. Because the idea is we do this together with God. God wanted a relationship with you, but I found myself for years wanting to save something for me, something on the outside, and I feel and hear this call of God to the church and to us that we would surrender to unity, that really that's what church is about. Right, that we're all this group of people, no one better than the other, but we're all kind of doing our part. What does God really demonstrate? But a family togetherness the father, son and Holy spirits, you know and he's offering that we do this together. And so I'm telling you, if you'll, if you continue to struggle, you can outside and trying to get your own identity and get your own approval and get and find your own self-worth. And I think for me, I was driven as maybe even a young kid kid I covered it with the idea that I got to make something out of myself and I got to be an individual, and and, and as much as I fought for individuality, what I'm doing is I'm pulling away from the one who wants to make me complete. Complete what In a brokenness I can be healed? With carrying sin, I can be released. Errors of brokenness, I can be transformed and healed. This is what God wants and offers us, and he is the head, in other words, he has the authority over all of that stuff, not to Lord, but to give it. What a king, what a king he shares and gives us. But yet we fight so much for our or maybe it's just me, in case that is just stretch your hands out towards the weird pastor. He says I got all these problems, or I wonder if that's the problem of mankind, that all of us want to do it and achieve on the outside. And then, god forbid, we do well. And then we think, really, we've got a handle on this and we can do it. Oh, we're all in such need. We don't realize how miserable, wretched and naked we are and what it could be if we would surrender. You know, there's such a fear of what would be taken away, but I wonder if we could open up our eyes and see differently of what is offered and what will be given.
Speaker 1: The invitation into unity does not negate the diversity. That's good you are invited to be one, to be part of the oneness. But your individuality in the oneness is expected and it is what God does. I mean, just look at nature. There is more than one kind of flower Beloved. You would exhaust yourself looking at every flower that's out there. The diversity, amazing. The birds, amazing. The flowers, the plants, the moss, amazing, mushrooms, amazing, beloved. Allow your heart and your eyes to be amazed at the diversity and then look around and say, of course God would make people in these diverse ways. In fact, in the book of Revelation, where one man believes that he sees these incredible things and he says that from every nation, every tongue, every people, everyone in all different languages, lifting praise to the one true God. And this invitation is to join, to be a part of, but you do not lose your own identity, you do not lose your uniqueness. You are made by God uniquely and you are welcomed to bring that. And this invitation, then, is to wholeness, and wholeness is what we receive when we rejoin the head, when we get our source from Christ. God is satisfied to have all his fullness dwelling in Christ. This sorts out a lot of things for people, and here's how it does that. If someone tells you. This is what God is like. Look at Jesus, and if it looks like Jesus, then that is what God is like. Jesus is the perfect image of the invisible God, and God is satisfied to have all of God's fullness, all of this love dwelling in Christ and by the blood of his cross, everything in heaven and earth is brought back to himself, back to its original intent and restored to innocence again. What a gift, what a gift to have only your innocence seen, that you would remember that you are faultless. There is no flaw in you to be seen as one who is wholly innocent. This is the hope for all of us. Even though you were once distant from him, living in the shadow of your evil thoughts and actions, he reconnected you back to himself. He released his supernatural peace to you through the sacrifice of his own body as the sin payment on your behalf, so you would dwell in his presence. And now there is nothing between you and Father God, for he sees you holy, flawless and restored. This is how God sees you this morning. I don't know how you saw you when you looked at yourself in the mirror this morning. I hope it was the way that God saw you Holy, flawless and restored. Restored to what, restored to innocence, restored to oneness, restored to love. That is the invitation of us. This is how God sees us, if indeed you continue to advance in faith, assured of a firm foundation to grow upon, never be shaken from the hope of the gospel that you have believed in, and this is the glorious news I preach all over the world. I can even celebrate the sorrows I've experienced on your behalf, for, as I join with you in your difficulties, it helps you to discover what lacks in your understanding of the sufferings of Jesus Christ experienced for his body, the church. Back there just for a moment. This verse reminds you that you may have gotten some things wrong, yet you are holy and flawless and restored. It is possible that something that you chose to believe, or someone asked you to believe, was not the right perspective or was not how God enabled the world and the universe to give back to us and he's saying you might need to re-establish a connection between the sufferings of Jesus and the goodness that God has in the world you know, when I first came into a church like this, a Protestant church, I came from a Catholic background and I was devout.
Speaker 2: I went to grade school until sixth grade when they asked me to no longer go to the Catholic grade school. But in that time I had, uh, I got expelled but uh, but before that I and I did communion, you know, and, and, uh, and of course I was baptized. You know, sprinkled when it, when it's a baby, it had, and I even had um, uh, confirmation and uh. So I was pretty serious about it and I went all the time. But I stumbled into a Protestant church in a real interesting way. This man was my brother's wife's uncle and he read a scripture in my brother's wedding and he impressed me how he behaved at the reception. Everybody was drinking and acting silly and he was laughing with everybody, but he wasn't partaking and he wasn't like this holy, righteous guy, but he was different, just the way he was behaving and whatnot. So I asked him what he was doing while he was in town and he said he was preaching at this church and without thinking I said I'll go see you preach and that's not a good Catholic thing to do. You do not step foot into a Protestant church, and I told the guy I'd go and I was sweating then all that night afterwards. And then Sunday morning I go to my church and I went to two services to make sure I'd really covered for this Protestant church. And so I go into this Protestant church and all sudden I heard the message of the gospel and it was like you know, I heard priests speak and read the Bible, but I'd never heard the message of of God's love for me and that I was forgiven and that that I could walk this altar, this offer of a new life with God. I responded, and I was forgiven and that I could walk this altar, this offer of a new life with God. I responded. And I was with my wife's. No, no, I wasn't married. My brother's wife's brother, who was no relation to me, but he went along and I remember him even yanking me don't go. And that was his uncle preaching. He just didn't want me to look weird or for me to make him look weird, but I'm like nothing's gonna stop me. I'm going forward, you know, and and I went forward and they, and then even afterwards I I followed them upstairs. You're not supposed to, because in protestant church a lot of times they'll have like a meal for the speaker and stuff. I just went up there. I don't want anything to eat, I just want to listen to you guys talking. And from then on I was there every week, but I'd still go to my Catholic church on Sunday morning because I didn't want to mess up and go to hell. You know, just, I'm dabbling around this Protestant church and I'm already on thin ice. So I went and they would tell me about forgiveness, that just, can you accept this? And I'd be like I, I accept it, but I'm still going to go to the priest, you know, and and get some certainty, because they said, do this and it and it was, was finally at some point I felt myself on this, this pendulum, you know, swinging from here to here. You know it's like do you believe? Yes, I and I want believe. But there was such turmoil. What if I believe the wrong thing? What if these people are deceived? They put this whole church here and all this just to deceive me and tell me to go to hell. But it's like I began to say, well, what is their message doing for me? Is it making me more like God More good, more forgiven. And as I began to just finally go, you know what I just have to make this plunge and just trust. And I'm telling you, it was like a weight was stripped off of me when I went and and and, uh, responded to that and, and I didn't have all the answers and I didn't know, but I knew one form of teaching was constantly telling me I wasn't doing enough and one teaching was telling me it was already completed. And I went from someone who was constantly ashamed and filled with guilt because of the way that I thought and the way that I was taught, kept me in a bondage and I think it kept me at some level under control of the church, right, because they had something I needed and I better pay and I better show up and I better do. And all of a sudden this church is saying it's freely given, freely give, and they gave it away. They didn't sell it to me, they didn't tell, tell me, now I have a. You know? Now, later I found out from other churches some churches will have a maintenance program on that free gift. You get the timeshare, but if you don't pay every year for its upkeep, you lose it. And I realized that, as Paul said oh foolish Galatians who have bewitched you that you'd start off in the spirit and end up in the flesh that for all of us, we battle our whole lives dangling between this free gift and how I need to earn it. And I'm telling you, there's freedom in accepting that forgiveness and there's nothing but torment in that place of shame and guilt and work. And I believe that the effort really is to stay out of the shame and the guilt and to really rely and trust in that oneness, in that unity, in that relationship with the King, the one who has forgiven, who has gifted us. And that is the struggle I think so many people are in, where we don't have peace. Why? Because we can't just stop and go. I'm forgiven. Oh, that's arrogant, that's prideful. Or is it the truth that, as I accept that and believe it and understand it, so I become forgiven, released, loved, new?
Speaker 1: And then the next step is for you to release forgiveness to everyone else. For you to see everyone else's holy innocence, for you to practice loving people. There is a divine mystery. A secret surprise that has been concealed from the world for generations, but now it is being revealed, unfolded and manifest for every holy believer to experience. Living within you is the Christ. Breathe that in for a moment. Christ in you, the hope of glory, god in you, love in you. We pause here for a moment to thank you for joining us today. If you're finding this episode meaningful, would you take a moment to share it with a friend? This podcast is made possible thanks to the generosity of people just like you. If you would like to support the ongoing work of First Love Church and the continued work of our podcast, visit us online at firstlovechurchorg, reminding you to like, follow and subscribe. Living within you is Christ who floods you with the expectation of glory. This mystery of Christ embedded within us becomes a heavenly treasure chest of hope, filled with the riches of glory for his people, and God wants everyone to know it. This is why Jesus said you will be known as my disciples if you love people, if you love people, if you love all people, if you love everyone. And this is a practice, and this is one of the reasons why being a part of a church, fellowship or a community or a part of people that you take care of and look after. It expands our ability to love. I felt a grief the other day for something that I was aware of that was happening, and I shared a grief with someone that I was talking with on the telephone and they said, yeah, but don't even really worry about it because it doesn't affect you directly. Thank you for being offended by that, and I think I heard the goodness in what my friend was offering to me like, just don't feel bad. But that is a numbing of things that are happening and to be able to say it may not have affected me directly, but I am one with brothers and sisters all over the world. If someone is suffering, I am suffering. If someone is putting their child to bed at night hungry, then that is a suffering that I must deal with. And this is why the apostle said here let me explain things to you about Jesus and the church and the suffering he went through. But this is the beauty of community that together we expand our capacity to love. We expand our capacity to see deeply and to recognize the Christ that is in all of us. Christ is our message. We preach to awaken hearts and to bring every person into the full understanding of truth. It has become my inspiration and passion in the ministry to labor with tireless intensity, with power flowing through me, to present to every believer the revelation of being his perfect one in Jesus Christ. You are one in Christ Jesus and you are one with every person, because we are part of this beautiful family that God made, that God is the father of, that God is telling us that you belong, that you are holy, that you are faultless and you are loved. Come back to God, come back to yourself, to this understanding that God is within you. Why does this matter? Because very often we feel alone in our struggles. We feel alone in the pain. We feel separate, and yet this is why the truth comes to us. We are not separate. We are alone in the pain. We feel separate, and yet this is why the truth comes to us. We are not separate. We are one in Christ Jesus. This goodness, this oneness, reminds us we will never be alone. You mentioned earlier. Sometimes there is a thought, or there is maybe a fear that would come to us and say what if you are believing the wrong thing? And I ask you to remember that you have a very good shepherd. You have a very good shepherd, and you are his beloved and he will not leave you there. But the voice that you are looking for, and the truth that you are looking for, is within you, christ. In you you look to the sound of your own voice saying this is not right, and then you listen to that wisdom, and then you would yield to the spirit when you say how can we solve this? How do we understand this? It's an invitation to live fully human and fully divine. It's an invitation to an embodied living where we are present in this moment that we are in saying how can we help? What is it that is in our hands to help with? There are many of the stories in scripture that are so beautiful to me and I love their imagery. It reminds me constantly, throughout the day, this invitation to be the Samaritan, this invitation to be the little boy who offers loaves and fish. Imagine sitting with 10,000 people and recognizing that everyone is hungry Everyone. They've been there a long time and there's no place to go to the little deli market on the corner. We are on a field, we are really hungry and I don't know if you've ever been around someone who's hungry and has low blood sugar, but it could be a thing. I mean, it could have been more like than we're hungry. Then maybe the crowd's getting a little agitated. Somebody needs to have a little snack and this crowd is immense and the disciples they're going. You know, what are you going to do? I love this one part of the story where Philip says to Jesus what are you going to do? Because you better do something. And then Jesus says to Philip what are you going to do? And that's what Jesus is saying to us. Do you see the suffering of the world? What are you going to do? Do you see the suffering of the people around you? Do good, find a way to help, find a way to lift it up less. But this little boy brought his lunch and he gave it to the disciples and he goes. It's a little bit. Never underestimate the power of a little love, a little bit, a little kindness, a little tenderness. Never underestimate that, because he put that little bit in the hands of Jesus, who blessed it and multiplied it. And that's what we do, beloved, every time we use kindness and tenderness, every time we offer forgiveness, every time that we choose to see light and flawlessness in someone. This is the invitation to be like Christ, to allow the Spirit in us to testify, but also to give us a plan. How does the world get better?
Speaker 2: because we become the healing, we become the people who love, and love is such a powerful force you know, I've had people, um, really frustrated and actually even leave the church over the fact that we don't do an altar call at the end of every message that we preach. And you know, I've asked them. I said, well, why does that really upset you and concern you? And they said, well, you're too progressive, you're not a historical church. And then I reminded them that an altar call is only started in the mid-1800s. So actually we're way more of a historical church than one that would do an altar call every service. Now, I'm not saying that it's wrong for them to do it, but I will tell you what Heather and I will never do is we'll never threaten you with hell and threaten you with God's wrath unless you walk the aisle and get our free get out of hell card.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Because I don't think that exists and I don't think that's how God intended. I think that someone went to some marketing school and thought this is a great way to build the church through the scaffolding of fear and we'll build fear up and we'll get people so afraid and they'll need us and they'll come and get our stuff and we'll have them. We'll have their money, we'll have their attendance, we'll have them. And what I want to say is we don't want to control you. We got ourselves and four acres and a dog and some goats and we're busy. We're not here to control you. We wouldn't do a very good job of it. We're here to tell you about building a life with the scaffolding of love instead, with the scaffolding of love instead. And so, if you're not being threatened by God, maybe you can stop to realize it's just offering love and transformation and forgiveness and healing. And why would I resist that? Why would I want to? You know, keep myself from that. And and so for us, we, we see this message differently. Christ in you, that's what god's offering, and jesus even said you'll do greater things than I did. He's offering us to go higher in this thing, and we tend to just preach christianity as a sin management program. And let's be honest, as a sin management program, christianity has failed. I mean, in fact, if you're going to find sin, look no further than our leaders. It's all over the papers, and it's all the time, isn't it? And it's heartbreaking Because I think we've been sharing the wrong message. The message is Christ in us and what is the potential? And that's what Heather and I are asking ourselves every day. You know, did you wake up and think that you can have a difference on human trafficking? Or do we bury our heads in the sand and just worry about our own stuff? What if we realize that there is something we can rise up into? That will you know, and I've always thought about well, I can't change the world, but I can change the life of the person near me. And I'm telling you, I don't know how that works, but God will change this world and he's asking who's on board? Who is interested? Who wants to take that ride? Or are we going to continue to reduce the relationship with God down to some sin management program? And that's? Christ came just to forgive you of your sins, and so, as long as you're straight with him, just wait for the sweet bye-bye. One day you'll get raptured up and everything will be fine. No, he's left us here because you have a purpose, you have an influence, a power to infuse it and infect and transform everyone around you and I'm so excited when I see those moments happen where God uses us. It is so beautiful to watch God just change the life of somebody. If you haven't seen it, just ask Heather if you can spend an afternoon with her shopping. Don't do that. It's the crazy. Haven't seen it. Just ask Heather if you can spend an afternoon with her shopping. Don't do that. Don't do it. If you don't believe me, I'll watch my wife and she gets cornered in the produce section or somewhere and she's praying, holding somebody's hands and they're crying why? Because she's opened up her eyes to the possibility that this could be happening all around us. And guess what. It begins to happen. And do we have the answers, do we?
Speaker 1: oh, but this is what. This is what peter said when he saw the man crippled by the gate. I don't have the things that you need in this realm, but whatever, whatever I have, I give to you. Whatever grace we have experienced, we are offered a chance to pass that same grace. Whatever mercy that we have received, we can give that mercy away. Whatever joy that we have, we can give that mercy away. I tell you that there is something that happens in a grocery store. I don't know what it is exactly. I think there's a frustration by the time you have to go to the grocery store. Maybe you're hungry or maybe it's the last thing on your list, but there's a lot of very hurting and frustrated people at grocery stores. Now there are, I'm sure, people like that at Staples and other stores too, but it seems like weekly I'm at the grocery store. So I think that that's why these things happen at the grocery store. But I am reminded all the time, particularly in the produce, while I'm taking a minute, and maybe that's the reason we're all choosing the beautiful fruit or the beautiful. There's a moment there, fruit or the beautiful there's. There's a moment there, and in that moment, if you will ask the spirit. Is there any love that I need to give here? Is there any compassion that I need to be a part of? Is there any kindness that I can offer? I found the most perfect apple the other day and I picked it up and the smell of the apple was so strong. It smelled like something that you would remember, like if you were older and you remember going into an apple orchard where the smell is something you experience first. I think very often because this is my opinion the fruit that we get is like very waxed and things, so I think the fragrance is not as good. But I picked up this apple and it was so good Like I brought it to myself and I was like, oh, this is going to be delicious. I have people in my house that like to eat apples and I was going to give it and the woman next to me said you got a good one, and she goes I think you got the best one here. And I said but it's for you. I picked it up especially for you and she started crying. It's an apple beloved. But it wasn't an apple, it was. I had something that I felt was good and that I shared it, and then the spirit made it much bigger than sharing apples, by the thing. But it's this moment that, if you will take it and say, is there a compassion that I could? I've had an apple before, beloved. I know how they taste. They're really wonderful Most of the time, especially the ones like from Wisconsin and Michigan and up north. Oh so good. Anyway, you have that apple, but is every good thing just for you?
Speaker 2: No, the answer is no.
Speaker 1: Every good thing is not just for you to consume, it's for you to give. This is the Jesus way. This is the way of saying love gives for God. So love the world that God gave his one and only son. That whoever believes in love believes in God and will have eternal life. This practice that is given to us is given away.
Speaker 2: You know, if we shift gears out of sin management, we realize what the purpose of it all is. If we could just accept I'm forgiven, now I'm going to go out and I'm going to share. All of a sudden your life becomes different, because otherwise it's just about you and I can't. You know. And I'll tell you something. Let me tell you a great story. Last sunday we did baptism oh, it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for everyone who participated. Look at our baptismers, our freshly watered baptismers we love you so much.
Speaker 2: And so we figured well it'd be, it'd be about one o'clock and we'd feed them. So we told the food people to be there at one. But the weather was bad. So we go. We got to get out there and get, uh, get the get in the pool. Uh, because the weather was bad, so we go. We got to get out there and get in the pool Because the weather started turning right there at that time. So about the time we got in the water and we asked the boys would you stand in the water and help the baptismers in and out? And about the time we lined up out there in the pool, it just started monsoon and not rain, and I'm talking about buckets. It was like we were under the ocean. And then the baptismers and all you watchers just stood there and laughed at us. Look at them out there in the rain, look at Thomas' face. And everybody was just laughing at us. Here we were out to serve and we're being mocked and ridiculed in our own home.
Speaker 1: That is not what was happening. That's not what was happening.
Speaker 2: It kind of happened. So we baptized everybody and got everybody, the rain stopped. It was a beautiful baptism, but then all of a sudden it's 20 to 1 and we got 20 whole minutes before the food gets there and there was a lot of people there and so we're rushing around trying to get the stuff ready and then 1 o'clock comes and 1 o'clock goes no food, 1.15, no food comes, and finally at 1.50, so everybody's standing around, stomachs growling, looking at us low blood sugar low blood sugar. People are hangry. That's what they call that. It's a biblical word it's not. I've already read it, so so the lady comes in and she goes. Oh, she was so frustrated. Oh my god, I'm so embarrassed, I'm so sorry. Sorry, you know, take this. And then I was rushing around but I walked past and I noticed that Heather had reached out and put money in her hand and she goes. I don't deserve this. I'm so late, I'm so embarrassed, I'm so sorry she goes, I cannot take this. And Heather said no, it'm so late, I'm so embarrassed, I'm so sorry she goes, I cannot take this. And Heather said no, it's our joy to bless you and to thank you. And that woman stood in our kitchen people all around, everything going. And she stood in our kitchen and she just began to weep everything going. And she stood in our kitchen and she just began to weep and I go. And I said don't you know? I mess up stuff all the time, don't feel bad. And I said look, it's here and we're all going to eat. Nobody died of starvation. This is a good day, it's a cause to celebrate, thank you. And it was. And we took that time with that lady and I'm telling you it's happening all around. But there's another, there's a gear we could have been in and it would have been fine if we were in that gear. We'd be loved and forgiven by god. But you're going to be. Can you believe that broad? She drives all over town. She's late with our food. We got all these guests. I'm looking like an idiot All this. We've got all the food, but no main course. Man, I can't believe people. What's your problem? Lady? Can't believe you. And let's be honest, we could have gotten in that gear and many of us kind of live in that that the world didn't serve us. But what about looking at how can christ manifest? And that's what my wife did. And it costs you, you something. It costs giving a tip to some might not, might judge that that person didn't deserve it, but I would say, do you want that job? Figuring out where houses are all the time and having a time limit, and probably nothing but people looking for reasons to not tip you, and that's your income. You're working on a Sunday afternoon instead of being with your family and looking for those opportunities. And if you'll crack the door and if we stop making God just about this forgiveness deal, or what's worse is, I'm Jimmy God, what can you give me Then? God's all about. He's the big vending machine in the sky. I pray my prayer to God, I claim it and I name it. You know what Come on church. You know that that ain't right. And you know what would be beautiful is if we just looked around and all the waitresses and waiters and all the people that are there to serve you. All of a sudden you begin to serve them Because that's right. That's what Christ did. He served. He didn't come to be served. Although he's the king of kings, he thought it not be wrong to sit down and wash the feet of the disciples. What if we took a page out of Christ's life? And that was what we lived by. Not well, I lived by the scripture that says that you know, and also we're like that couple fighting the scriptures. Well, I'll claim this and by God, it's going to happen to me in Jesus' name, you know. And we're like no, you don't know. Jesus, in Jesus' name, I would, I would, I would, I would have. And how many have I missed this week? Probably hundreds. I just tell the story. And I caught it. Out of the corner of my eye was Heather who caught it, but I joined in and it was awesome. It was so amazing to be able to give that to that lady and the food was so good. And then here's what's crazy the place called and they said we're so sorry that it was late and Heather's like forgiving her. She goes. No excuses, that meal was free. All that food we ended up getting free anyway. Come on, god. Oh, we were suffering, like poor me. I didn't get a meal for 50 minutes. Amen, amen, amen. Or we could get a chance to see God working. Wouldn't it be awesome, starbucks workers, if the world got a hold of this, those entitled blessings that think that somehow, that their $8 drink they deserve it, made perfectly by their loyal subjects. What if we could just turn the script on that and we become the people that go around? Just, the world is so parched that you will watch the most amazing tears and of joy and and of transformation happen right around you if you'll become a vehicle of god's spirit to just, oh, because god wants to, to reach out. Amen, do you see it? Do you want to be a part of that? Let's stop just playing games down here, low level. Oh, just, you know me, my stuff and my sin. Oh, we rise above that. God has freed us from sin, but what did he free us to A life where we get to co-create with the King of Kings. That Christ lives on the inside of me, the Christ. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: It means you are the light of the world. What? That's what Jesus said. I want to remind you of that. Steve, you are the light of the world. Sue, you are the light of the world.
Speaker 2: Francie, you are the light of the world, you do such a good job, letting your light shine.
Speaker 1: I want to just tell you what light does. It allows us to see something. You, your presence, your goodness, your service allows someone else to see. God Allows someone else to see something else. You are the light of the world, Beloved, be bright and shiny. You are the light of the world because you have received the love of God. This is the invitation. Where there is darkness, be the light. Where there is need, find some way to do good and remember that Christ is in you. I can't think of anything and I've spent time thinking about this. I can't think of anything or anyone that would not be transformed if it was in the presence of Christ. I think about people sometimes that are very difficult and that are hurting other people. And with such a deep grief, I don't know what to do with the feelings in my body that happen when I hear about children not being fed Beloved. This is not right. Fed Beloved this is not right. And when there are men in power who withhold food from children. It breaks my heart and it should break yours. But what do we do with that feeling. Well, first of all, I take those people anyone that I know of that are a part of it or anyone who's not a part of it and I bring them in my mind to the loving presence of Christ. Because I just want to tell you, if they were in the presence of Christ, they too would know how do we break the bread that the little boy gave us and how do we make sure everyone is fed. And it's not just about feeding physically. There is a feeding emotionally and spiritually that we do, and there is so much that we're invited into. Jesus said, and we repeat it together as a church, and it has been prayed for 2,000 years your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. No one in heaven starves to death. So, beloved, we've got some work to do. One of the things that we'll do together as a church this Wednesday is we'll give food and we'll take food, and we have an outreach this Wednesday and you can come and be a part of it. And that's not going to feed everyone, but it's going to feed some people and it's going to be an invitation to be light and to be joy and to have connection, and that's beautiful and there are many ways that you can do it, because here's how I know there are so many ways. Christ is in you. Everywhere you go, Christ goes. Every person that you are in front of, Christ is in front of, and that's how the world changes. And we pray, Beloved. There is power in our prayers, in our connection. When we see something that is not right, we pray about it. We bring it before God and say what would your spirit do to show me how I can be a part of the solution, what can I do to bring peace to this situation? And this is a practice for us to join our minds with the mind of Christ by the Holy Spirit and say how do you intend to bring a solution here, and what a gift it is to participate in the goodness of God.
Speaker 2: You know, in the outreach it's just an opportunity to be trained. You know we talk about Heather, you know, at the grocery store a lot because she, you know, with working at the church and stuff, our office is at home and we, you know, we still have a family at home, so we're at home. So really that's your opportunity to be around people you know that aren't you've already. You preach to us a lot but you know this is other people that you get to preach to and and it's. It's a beautiful opportunity and maybe you haven't got the opportunity, and so going along and and and experiencing it it trains you. This one woman was cause we go to Harvey's and it's, and she was needed hip surgery and she was real frayed and so we went up and we brought her her food because she was having the hip surgery. And then the next month I came and I saw her starting to climb down the stairs and I said don't come down, we'll bring the food up to you. And she goes why? And I said, well, up to you. And she goes why? And I said, well, you're hip, and she goes. You prayed for me and she was confused and so she came down and grabbed her Bible. I said well, we're going to bring it up to you. She goes, I know, but my hip works and I, like a dummy, I go oh, so you had the surgery. She goes what don't you understand? I was going to have a surgery. I asked for prayer. You prayed for me. Don't you remember the electricity in that circle? And everybody was crying and probably I was thinking. I got to get to the next room, you know, and so I, right in front of me, missed a wonderful show, a beautiful Because of my plans, because of my stuff. Now, you've never done anything like that. But, your pastor, I goof up so I can teach you. I'm here at your service 24-7. And so she comes down and she reminds me that prayer works and she reminds me that this stuff is important and it trains me. And next time I'm going to open my eye and watch what are you doing, god, my expectancy begins to stir.
Speaker 1: And I remind you that there are people that we've prayed for and then we've also attended with them their hip surgery and their recovery, and it is still the miraculous power of God. The miracle workers in those situations are the doctors that can perform this where knees are replaced. It's such a gift to be able to again. There are miracles all around us, beloved, if we'll look for them, and there is a place for us to rejoice and a place for us to be kind. And I remind you of what we read in the Beatitudes this is the virtuous path, this is the eighth path that Jesus gives us, and Jesus said this do these good works so that the Father in heaven will be seen. Do and Jesus said this do these good works so that the Father in heaven will be seen. Do these good works so that love will be seen. And this is the invitation for all of us to practice love in our generosity, in our care for the people who are shopping, in the way that we love our neighbors, in the way that we take care of the world around us and in the prayers that we pray. We hope you've enjoyed this week's sermon. If you would like more information about us, visit us online at firstlovechurchorg.