Speaker 1: Welcome to the First Love Church podcast. This is a collection of Sunday teachings inspired by the Revised Common Lectionary and recorded weekly in Ocala, Florida. It's with a lot of gladness and joy that we greet you this morning. It's a good day to be in the house of the Lord. It is a good day to be in the presence of the other, in the presence of love and in the presence of Christian fellowship. The Christ in us greets this morning. The Christ in you, and we are grateful for your presence here this morning. For those of you that are online and joining us, thank you. Your presence means a lot to us. For those of you that were here this morning in person, we're grateful that you were here also because you got to hear Catherine sing this morning. That was a little gift to you this morning. You are welcome. You'll have to check with who to thank. In that, I thank God for all of the goodness that it is, and just a reminder that we are loved and cared for. And so this morning I bless you from the heart of God. You are loved, just as you are whole and complete. You are loved and you are welcomed in the house of God. This morning, from Ecclesiastes, chapter 10, there is a warning for us, a warning for you, a warning for the world. I remind you that the book of Ecclesiastes was written centuries ago and this wisdom is don't long for the good old days, pay attention, stay in the present. In some translations of this verse it says that wisdom would never ask that question and wisdom would never tell you to long for what is past. Find the good now. Find the present now. Find God now. We are so grateful that you are here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 1: It's coming up.
Speaker 2: Okay, because we've had some conversations all week long. Well, you go ahead and say it, you just flew right by that, I know because we're coming up to some things We've got to you want to build a.
Speaker 1: I want to build.
Speaker 2: It's almost the bridge that I don't like. I should have showed up for rehearsal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's fine. Say what you'd like to say about it, though.
Speaker 2: Well, it's all good, I'll wait, oh, okay.
Speaker 1: It's just brewing. So we're building on this. I'm learning how to celebrate it with you. Oh, I'm grateful in your presence this morning and I want you to read the scripture with us. I remind you that we are in the season of Pentecost and in this season, together, we are practicing attuning our souls, attuning our spirits to the Holy Spirit, god's own spirit, the spirit that is transforming, the spirit that is full of miracles, and so I remind you this morning that miracles are available for you because God is available to you, and God is miraculous and love can transform anything. So listen to the power of this particular portion of scripture to all of us this morning as we read together. Listen for the words of the Spirit and then listen for the hope of what the Spirit can accomplish in all of us. Verse 28. If any one of you has stolen from someone else, never do it again. I want us all to read this together, and I like you to pay attention to the fact. It's very easy If you've stolen, just don't do it again. Don't make your life about shame. Don't do it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is. You know whatever it is, but this is the truth of God's word to us. If any one of you has stolen from someone else, from someone else, never do it again. Instead, be industrious, earning an honest living, and then you'll have enough to bless those in need. We're going to have to wait there for a minute. Talk amongst you. Go ahead and honor that it lost it. No that's not this beautiful portion of scripture, and I'm going to get back the text here.
Speaker 2: I think it was going to go rest.
Speaker 1: You will have enough to bless those in need. Let that settle in your heart. That is why we have anything, so that we can bless those in need and never let ugly or hateful words come from your mouth. Whoopsie daisy, whoopsie daisy. Let's just ask the Lord together right now Father, forgive us, for we have sinned, and now we are reminded by the power of the Holy Spirit. Ugly and hateful words are not from the Spirit of God. We abide no hatred, but together we're going to read 29.
Speaker 2: Are not from the spirit of god, we abide no hatred, but together we're going to read 29. I'd like to stop here before we read 29 and just ask you to consider that maybe we've read this verse, or verses like it, a hundred times and then we're like, okay, yeah, I gotta, I gotta do some language modification. And I'd ask you how well has that been going for you? How well has that? And I'd ask you, how well has that been going for you? How well has that approach to not letting ugly words come out of your mouth, how well has that worked? And I would ask that you'd maybe ask the Spirit of God to change your thinking, to change your thoughts, to change the way that you look at things, because there was a time when and it's not my so distant past that traffic could really enrage me, but that, you know the spirit of god began to ask me the simple question do you really think that person left their house and their goal was to get right in front of you so they could drive in a way that you consider is wrong or stupid, or dumb or inefficient, at the very least, and they did it all to provoke you out of anger? Well, when we and you're shaking your head? Yes, and hopefully humorily. Otherwise we'll just form a prayer circle around all of us. But the truth is, because we do think that then we become angry and all the oh, I've got to make sure I don't call them a stupid idiot Like Heather would really help me for many years. She would say that's a child of God and I'd go bless that child of God as they drive around in ignorance and stupid, terrible. And so I just added the child of God, as they drive around in ignorance and stupid, terrible. And so I just added this, the child of God, to the insult, because the still the judgment was there based on my thinking. But imagine if you could, just what freedom would that bring you? Because that person still drives away completely oblivious, that they've ruined your day so that now you gave them that power. And now there's a frustration in you and the whole family feels uncomfortable, maybe even unsafe, as you now start driving and pushing the limits of your car's actual ability to function. All because we allowed ourselves a way of thinking and the Spirit of God is offering us, over and over, a new way of thinking. I can tell you, story after story in just this week, how I'm looking back. You know I can't believe you've chosen to drive that way, but I refuse to let that provoke me and ruin my time with my children, with my family, in this car, making everyone feel unsafe because I want to rage out at somebody because of the way that I'm thinking. Is anyone with me? Or are you all just mad at me now for messing with your sanctuary? Your car is your sanctuary. You don't want me to mess with that, but what if it really could be a place of true peace? We have to change the way we think, don't we?
Speaker 1: And never let ugly or hateful words come from your mouth, but instead let your words become beautiful gifts that encourage others to this, by speaking words of grace to help them. We're going to read this together. Then we're going to the next verse and we're going to read that together and we're going to let these words challenge us. We're going to read this together. Then we're going to the next verse and we're going to read that together. We're going to let these words challenge us. We're going to allow the Holy Spirit to let us reimagine what it would be like that we would have understanding that we would agree with Jesus's prayer, that we would be one Even in traffic. The person ahead of you in another car is one with you because we are in Christ. Never let ugly or hateful words come from your mouth, but instead let your words become beautiful gifts that encourage others to do this, by speaking words of grace to help them. The Holy Spirit of God has sealed you in Jesus Christ until you experience your full salvation. So never grieve the Spirit of God, nor take for granted his holy influence in your life. Lay aside bitter words, temper tantrums, revenge, profanity and insults, but instead be kind and affectionate toward one another. Has God graciously forgiven you, then graciously forgive one another in the depths of Christ's love, amen.
Speaker 2: I would venture to say that when we do get mad and rage at people for the things that we do, it's because in our mind we've forgotten of what we've been forgiven of. But if we could keep that type of thing in our mind, then all of a sudden we are just the bearers of grace and kindness, because we were reminded that we're existing because of it. Amen. So let's really do, let God challenge us and change our mind in some areas, because the way that we've been thinking is the reason why we're in some of the ruts that we're in, that we're trapped in some of the places that we are, and God is offering this way of escape. But we have to be willing to surrender to a new way, amen.
Speaker 1: Amen. I'm grateful this morning that this season of Pentecost allows for us the practice of learning to attune our souls to the voice of the Spirit. And in those previous words, it reminds us what the voice of the Spirit sounds like. It's tender, it's gentle, it's loving, it's patient. And so when our words do not sound like that, we need to remind ourselves oh, I need to maybe adjust this or listen to what the Spirit would say about this. I remind you that in those previous verses it also did not include any shame. You are not shamed because you did that, just do something different. And here's the power of the Spirit to change the way that we think about things, to transform the way that we understand things and how we see the world. And so this morning we go to Luke's gospel. It's taking the heels on the portion of scripture that we read last week. Jesus was telling us a parable, a story about a man who had so much stuff he had to build bigger barns, or thought he did so that he could do what he wanted and live a life for himself. And Jesus confronted him and said you're foolish if you think that you are promised tomorrow. Today, your life is demanded of you. And so this understanding, this change of thought that we are not in charge of our destinies, that there is a gift of life that we are invited into, I want to just interject that you've hit upon something a couple times.
Speaker 2: There's not shame in the way that God corrects us, and so if you have a framework in your mind about your relationship with God that is surrounded by shame, I would challenge you to maybe consider that maybe somewhere along the line you've fallen into some bad teaching or you've decided for yourself and made some agreements with some things that are just out of whack and made some agreements with some things that are just out of whack, and I really just want you to see that it's going to take effort for all of us, because there are, I think, really woven within religion and I use religion as that term to mean about God, but without God, because the Spirit of God brings joy and sometimes people are just drudging it out in their spirituality, and it's really not spirituality without God, because the spirit of God brings joy and sometimes people are just dredging it out in their spirituality, and it's really not spirituality, it's just some kind of a religious form.
Speaker 1: If God can clothe the fields and the meadows with grass and flowers, can't he clothe you as well? Oh, struggling one with so many doubts, I repeat it Don't let worry enter your life. And when I read that I was like, well, it's too late, now it's already there. Well, what do we do when the worry has already entered the life and the worry is now ruling the life? What do you do then? Where's our way of escape? Now and again, these are the words of Jesus. And why, every week, do we come together and remind ourselves of the words of Jesus? Because Jesus is saying to all of us, the humanity of Jesus is saying this is what it means to live in this world. If we just look at how things are and we don't allow the Spirit of God to bring us to a higher way of thinking, we will worry. It's part of our human nature and Jesus is offering us a way to live higher, to return to the good. Don't let worry enter your lives. Live above the anxious cares about your personal needs. And this is where the invitation of the teaching of Jesus brings us into. How do we love the world well? How do we love ourselves well? We ask these things and Jesus gives us beautiful answers. People everywhere seem to worry about making a living, but your heavenly father knows your every need and will take care of you. And here Jesus is offering us a reparenting when our earthly fathers and mothers have failed us. Jesus is saying I remind you that you have eternal parents who love you and who have good planned for you, and so you are not disadvantaged because you have a person who, in their humanity and in an illusion, failed you. Jesus is reminding you you belong to the human family, you belong to a global family of people, and God has good for us Each and every day. He will supply your needs as you seek his kingdom passionately, above all else, and this is the invitation. In another translation it says seek first the kingdom, and all of these things will be added unto you. Sometimes we know that verse and we know it so well it no longer affects the way that we live, and it's a language sometimes that we don't use in our everyday vernacular. And so this understanding that my needs, a deep knowing for us, my needs will be met, and I will seek god's kingdom. Did you want to say something right there? I? could okay, but here's what I want to say, because I didn't want to run over somebody. There's my little um, the oomph. Somebody's starting their motorcycle. God bless them and let's together say may they be safe and may angels protect them as they do that. But here is this oomph, as you seek first the kingdom, what does it actually mean to have God's kingdom in your life? It's language that we don't use a lot, and so I would like to speak about it for just a moment. I want to tell you, or remind you, whether you know it and this is a reminder whether you didn't know it every person has a kingdom, and here's what a kingdom is. A kingdom is anywhere you have influence. What shoes did you choose this morning to put on? Regarding shoes, that was your kingdom. You put them on. A kingdom is anywhere you have choice, anywhere you have influence, and so you can decide in your kingdom what kind of kingdom this will be. Will it be a kingdom ruled by love? Will it be a kingdom ruled by fear? Will my choices be ruled by fear and scarcity, or will my choices be ruled by the fact that God has said to me that I belong, that everything will already be provided and that peace is available. So before you listen to this and say kingdom language I don't know what that is. That's a metaphor. The kingdom is right now. Jesus said this to us. He said the kingdom is so close to you, it's in your mouth. Your choice is right here. Your choice is what you say, what you do, whatever you have choice over, whatever you have influence over, that is your kingdom. So we pray during the week, we pray. I hope that you pray every day. May your kingdom come, may your will be done in our lives, even as it is in heaven, on earth, even as it is in heaven. So what you are actually praying is not that God comes and globally wipes over every empire, every politician, every structure. You're saying let your thoughts come into my choices, let your kingdom come into the way that I live. I just want to ask you if we could all imagine together is there any hungry child in God's kingdom? No, but there are hungry children all around us, and for a horror. And we, as the people of God, need to allow our minds to say what would it look like for us to live in the world, to imagine a world where no one is hungry, where no one goes to sleep at night afraid. This is the beauty of what the Holy Spirit does for us, but this is what the text is telling us. In your kingdom, god has provision already there, but you do have a kingdom. Each one of us has an area of influence over our choices and over the choices of the people around us when jesus was asked to pray, this is the first thing they said your kingdom come, your will be done.
Speaker 2: And when you and I pray that, we're declaring that his kingdom, his influence, his decision on what color the shoes should be, and then we carry that out, we put those shoes on, so that means his kingdom come. If I really believe that, and I believe that his kingdom has no hunger in it, then I'm going to do something about feeding. I am going to be a part of it. Oftentimes we say, well, yeah, that is a big thing, god, you better do something about it. And he says, yeah, I have a plan, and it involves you and involves your kindness and involves your generosity, and so that's where we often put the brakes on. And so I just want to challenge you that that, again, we all have a kingdom. It's your way of thinking, it's your way of doing. Will you surrender that? And that's what that prayer is about. When j Jesus is asked what to pray, well, on a regular basis, we need to pray your kingdom come. Because my kingdom has a lot of influence in my life, my way that I want things done. I get so particular about the way that I want. Heather and I were like last night we were repenting to all old people Because it turns out 9 or 10 o'clock is a good idea to go to bed. Sorry, we were wrong for all those years when we were staying up until 2 in the morning. We're like this is a good idea, I like it. So our kingdom is bowing to another kingdom, amen. And it's happening all the time, or we force ours on others and so I wonder where is the check? Who challenges you, questions your way of thinking or gives you another thought Because, yeah, you paid for that car, you paid insurance, you paid taxes, you paid for all that gas. Yeah, it's your kingdom in there, and your kingdom can come, your will can be done, but it doesn't turn out to be as peaceful, as loving, as transformative to the world. And so can we allow our decisions to bring the kingdom of God to others? Amen.
Speaker 1: So don't ever be afraid, dearest friends, your loving Father joyously gives you his kingdom realm with all of its promises, and this takes for us a moment to imagine a father who has everything and whose only joy is to give it to us. God is not withholding. Love does not withhold beloved. Love gives, love gives. Love does not insist on a way of scarcity, but love is generous in its giving, and that's how God is with us. And so Jesus confronts an idea that we have that God is angry and that God is parceling out things, and if we ask for this, then we won't be able to ask for that and this idea of ask for the beauty, ask for the kingdom to come, ask for peace, ask for these things and then allow them to be in your life. Your loving father joyously gives you his kingdom realm with all of its promises. So the Holy Spirit here is actually confronting what is your idea about God? Is God a stern father who is waiting to see if you're going to do good with something, or is God a loving father who is joyful to give you every good thing? So now, now that you know that this is who God is, now that you know that you are loved and part of God's family. Sell what you have and give to those in need, making deposits in your account in heaven, an account that will never be taken from you. Your gifts will become a secure and unfailing treasure deposited in heaven forever. And God is telling us a beautiful truth. Jesus is showing us here's the way to train your heart. Give something away and your heart will be toward those things. And he's saying give it to the poor. Let your heart be for those who are disadvantaged. Let your heart be for those without the privilege that you yourself have.
Speaker 2: You know, that's oftentimes taught to us in church, and I'd ask you to consider a different perspective, and maybe the idea was that, um, you know where your treasure is. Your heart is so obviously you know where. Where you're putting money shows that your heart isn't right. You know, uh, and and really I, it might very well be that jesus has shown us as a way that you can direct your own heart, that you can decide I'm going to give towards helping these family members and watch your heart change towards them, or I'm going to give towards the church and watch my heart change towards the feelings that you might have.
Speaker 1: So there's maybe, maybe just a more beautiful side to that scripture than maybe we have been uh, uh, shown before where you deposit your treasure, that is where your thoughts will turn to and your heart will long to be there also. What a beautiful invitation into another way of living. When you live in scarcity, when you live in lack, when you live holding on only to yourself, you are the only person your heart is looking for. And so this invitation is into giving into generosity, is a way to train ourselves to see everyone, to be one with our brothers and sisters. To practice this kind of living is a way out of selfishness, is a way out of self-centeredness, is a way out of isolation and a way into community, a way into oneness, a way into the practice of saying and doing. Jesus talks about this many times. It's not enough just to say something. Where is the action? In fact? The next verse tells us this that there will be something. It's great to say that you love someone Dennis and I said we loved each other 34 years ago, but if that's the last time we ever said we loved each other or we ever did anything to prove that we loved each other, so when we say that we love the world or we love God, then what does it mean? Jesus said whatever you did into the least of these. You've done it to me.
Speaker 2: So if you are a person who says I have received good from God and I love God and I want to do something back, then this is the practice for us to do good for each other, to do good for those who have no one doing good for them, and to practice this oneness you know, there, the, the oftentimes, the things we're going to talk about and encourage you are are going to be the practices, and so if you don't have things that you were, um, you know, nathaniel was complaining getting out of the truck yesterday because it was leg day, and so here's this young man who's getting in out of a truck and he's going oh, ah, ah, ah. But see, he has a training regiment that's forcing him for some discomfort, for an end goal that he wishes to have more strength and be and be healthier, you know. So there's these practices and we can't, we can't wish our spirituality in there, and so we'll offer you practices, but it still is is up to you to consider them, uh, and and and to to apply whatever ones we pause here for a moment to thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 1: If you're finding this episode meaningful, would you take a moment to share it with a friend? This podcast is made possible thanks to the generosity of people just like you. If you would like to support the ongoing work of First Love Church and the continued work of our podcast, visit us online at firstlovechurchorg, reminding you to like, follow and subscribe.
Speaker 2: And I felt like God really showed me that many of us don't choose the good thing. The thing that is right here is love that we can just love. And you know, I got to tell you that all my kids, for the next two weeks, will be under the same roof. How many more times is that going to happen in my life? Hopefully a lot more. Maybe a handful Right. And so I was just sitting on the couch and I was so tired, like I'm just going to sit up and just watch it, and I chose love. Yeah, but you've got to get up and you've got to do stuff and you've got to do this. Well, if you don't get up and you got to do stuff and you got to do this Well, if you, if you don't get good rest and this, you know all fear. Or I can choose it, or I can choose love, and I and I just want God to show you and me this week where am I, where are my opportunities to choose love, to choose God? Or do I choose the illusion, the thing that's outside of God, my own way of doing things, my own interests? Am I preaching to anybody here?
Speaker 1: Jesus says here be prepared for action at a moment's notice. If shame and scarcity and fear are your starting point, then this just could be a burden to you. Be prepared for action at a moment's notice is different, when you know that you're loved and when you're in love. Jesus is reminding us to stay in love. He goes on to explain it a little bit further, but I remind you that I hope that all of you have had an experience sometime where you've really loved someone and when they've needed you, even though your body may have been tired. It was a joy. I mean, some of us have had experiences with little babies. Catherine's friend brought a little tiny baby to our house this weekend and I was reminded of how much they need and how inconvenient they are and how they ask for something at inappropriate times and how all of these things. And I want to tell you that it was a joy to serve this little baby because we all loved him and somehow we get in our minds that we grow out of love or we fall out of love. But there is a frequency in God. There is a current, an fall out of love. But there is a frequency in God. There is a current, an eternal current of love, that if we choose to stay in that love, that we choose to be ready for action, to love someone, to put our love into action, be like the servants who anticipate their master's return from a wedding celebration. They are ready to unlock and open the door for him at a moment's notice. Now, jesus is telling a story here, a parable, and he's talking to people, and this is their worldview, and this is what's happened. There are servants and there are masters, and there are people that are greater than you and there are people who are less than, and Jesus is asking us, or inviting us to change something or to be aware of something that is possible. They are ready to open the door at a moment's notice. What great joy is ahead for the awakened ones who are waiting for the master's return. And so he's reminding us that you have a choice to go to sleep on the job or, if you can allow yourself by the spirit to be awakened, allow your thoughts to be awakened, allow the spirit to bring you up. There's a joy there that he himself will become their servant and wait on them at his table as he passes by, and all of the people are going. But that's not how it works with masters and servants, because they know cruel servants and cruel masters. And Jesus is saying there's another way to live in life and to expect things. And Jesus is explaining something about himself and about God that when God shows up, God comes to serve us. Jesus said I did not come, that I would be served. I came, that I would serve and I would give my life as a ransom for many. So when we are in love and when we are in the frequency of love, and when we choose to align ourselves to spirit, we will be people who respond out of love. We don't look at someone suffering and go. I don't know what choice you made. We will do something about the suffering of others. We will do something about the good that needs to be done and we will quickly return to the good. He may appear at midnight or even later, but what great joy for the awakened ones whenever he comes. This is joy beyond what they could imagine, because they were joyful to serve. And now it says that that master is going to come and he's going to serve them at his table. You see where I'm going with this, because you know what we do here in this church, right At the end of every service, we celebrate Holy Communion, we celebrate the mystery. What great joy for them who are awakened to the idea that when the master comes, he's going to serve them at his table. Every time we gather together we can be awakened into this really holy, beautiful thought. Of course, if they knew ahead of time the hour of the master's appearing, they would be alert, just as they would be ready if they knew ahead of time that a thief was coming to break into their house. And Jesus is offering us this invitation of saying wake up. Don't allow yourself to live on autopilot, don't allow yourself just to trudge through the day without experiencing the world around you, the Holy Spirit in you. This is an awareness, this a a practice in stillness to go. How do I stay in the frequency, in the eternal current? How do I stay awake to the things of the spirit and not be lulled by distraction? This is a timeless wisdom for us to say. How do I stay engaged and awake?
Speaker 2: You know, and I think that asking God for that awareness, the other day I had worked outside and I came in and Heather said hey, you want to help me clean this kitchen? And that's a loaded question. But with my wife I have to be real careful about the answer, because the question was do you want to help me with this? And I will help you with the kitchen.
Speaker 1: But to ask me to want to clean the kitchen seems like too much to ask it does not seem like too much to me, but my wife interested in your thing, don't you want to, we'll say well then, if you don't want to help, don't you know? You don't have to.
Speaker 2: This is not and so I have to be real careful because I want to help and I want, so I might have to phrase that sentence in a way that both honors truth but still doesn't disappoint her. And so so we cleaned the kitchen, and that turned into quite a project, you know. And about the time I finally then got to my chair and plopped down, I heard some rattling at the front door. That was locked and it was raining outside, and that was Nathaniel, and I love him, but surely he would understand, but surely he would understand that. But there's something that we always have this opportunity to choose ourself or choose love, and God's not angry up in heaven when you choose yourself. But you miss the opportunity to ascend in him, you miss the opportunity to allow the spirit of God to bring a joy into your home that wasn't there, to bring God into the very midst. And so I stood up out of that seat and I ran over there, and you it's for the person that every Sunday morning chooses a young man to not stay out late on a Saturday night, or, if he does stay out late on a Saturday night, to still appear to be awake enough to play drums, to give to our church faithfully every week, like that, and I can say, well, I better repay him. No, I could never repay that, but if I am inspired by that kind of love, that's what empowers me. There's one thing that at my house that's tricky. All my sons are very good sons and very helpful, but there's one son that is the easiest to ask to help and that is David. David, since he was a small child. If you say David, will you help me? He says how can I serve you, david, since he was a small child. If you say David, will you help me? He says how can I serve you? How can I serve you, father? It sounds like he's being sarcastic. Could someone really be that kind Now? The others, they'll help, but I might get a monologue on what they've done so far today. That sounds a little like somebody I know, doesn't it? But David always does that, and so it's my joy when I find out he needs something. How, how can I serve you? And I'm not trying to paying back, but his light has illuminated my path. Amen, it's making me a better human being, because I cannot hear that and not be changed by it. It's too good, it's too much of God, amen, and so let a love inspire us to rise up out of our seat and be so gracious as to unlock a front door. How noble is your pastor becoming? How Christ-like? I'm going to levitate in a minute here. I'm not patting myself on the back, I'm just using examples of how we can be different. It's my house, by God. I pay the bills. I deserve to sit here. Well, yeah, I mean, you can justify, justify anything, but you know what's right. This is to get up out of our seat and to love those people around us and to serve them. Amen, and those are practices and we may not get it right. And so what do you do when you steal? Sit around in shame for weeks and weeks.
Speaker 1: don't, just, don't do it anymore, just don't do it anymore.
Speaker 2: If you mess up this week on this goal of being loving and choosing love, then just go well.
Speaker 1: The universe is generous and will give you another chance to love again, hopefully, or to try these kind of beauties.
Speaker 2: My daughter lives in Paris, got her boyfriend here. I hope you guys meet him. Lives in Paris, got her boyfriend here. I hope you guys meet him.
Speaker 1: He's an amazing person and so I'm 252, three days on Duolingo, which is an app for learning French.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm learning French and I just know nothing. I'm trying so hard. But one thing it says to me, because I make a lot of mistakes on it it goes even when you make a mistake, you're still learning. And I just wish that would flash up when I yell at somebody in traffic. All week long I've been preaching to the church about this. That one person, well, you know what? I do believe that from the bottom of my heart, even though you made a mistake, you're still learning. And what do we do? Feel shame about it for weeks and weeks. Or can we just choose the next time?
Speaker 1: choose good, choose god, choose love we've been talking a little bit about. You just mentioned david and it reminded me of something that happened when he was very small and I have his permission to share it. Um, there are many things that I could share and stories that I could share about David, but he was little enough for me to actually be picking him up out of a car seat and car seats are cumbersome and they are helpful but so I was lifting him up out of the car seat and he was able to walk and he was having conversation with me, but I was lifting him out of the car seat to put him on the ground and he goes do you know what I do when I'm looking out the window? And he would stare out the window for a very long time in the car when he was little and I'd be like no, I don't know what you do. And David would always approach me with theological conversations when I didn't want to have them, and children will do that to you, like I'm sure I was going in the house where there were other people, there was groceries, but he stopped, and so then I stopped and he said you know what I do when I look out the window or when I'm in the shopping cart. In the shopping cart is important for us to remember too he's actually in the front seat of the shopping cart when I look out the window, when I'm in the shopping cart and I said, no, what do you? Good? And then he goes, and then I say to myself, I love you. And then I started repenting. I just got down. I'm like I would like to give my life to Christ, because my tiny child reminds me of what I need to do when I stand in the presence of someone else is to open my heart to them. I love you. See, as we get older, we have all these prejudices and all these judgments and all these reasons, and we have things that we are not even aware. When's the last time you looked at someone that you didn't know in the eyes and in your own heart? You opened it up to them and said I love you.
Speaker 2: I remember him being very young like that, and he said I ask God something along the lines of I ask him to show me how I can love this person, and it's everyone I see.
Speaker 1: That was one of his superpowers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it was, Because he said he'll ask you those questions too. What superpower would you have if you had any superpower? And I'm like invisibility, of course, why not. What else is there? And then he'll go and I'm like invisibility, of course, why not? You know what I mean? What else is there? And then he'd go. Mine is to love people, no matter what, and I'm like I missed that one. This is better than invisible. That was a way better choice. Pastor really missed that one.
Speaker 1: We bring these little stories up and their wisdom is eternal. Yeah, what would it look like for us to practice being aware of the people right in front of us or around us and saying I could love you. I choose to love you. I allow the light of Christ in me to be the light in you. And maybe that's how, the next time someone asks you for something, you can say how can I serve? Because love motivates us. Love is a energy, love is something right in front of us. And Jesus says to his friends so keep alert. What does that mean? Keep alert? It means that you might get drowsy. It means that you might be really tired. It means that you might just disengage from real life and come into the illusion or into distraction. And Jesus is saying be ready at all times. Only love can give you the energy to be ready at all times. Only love can make you wake up in the middle of the night or interrupt you and still bring you joy. And it says I can promise you that the Son of man will surprise you. When is the last time you contemplated how Jesus was going to surprise you? Jesus said this of himself he's going to appear when you don't expect him? What does it look like for us to understand that Jesus' appearances is an invitation into living life fully awake, and there are practices that we can do to stay engaged in the spirit, to stay engaged in this idea of ascension and of another way of living that Jesus offers us.
Speaker 2: You know, even reframing this verse to not be well. When you least expect it, he's going to come up and catch you doing something wrong, like that bumper sticker. Jesus is coming act busy. What about the idea that Jesus will come when you least expect it to empower you to do what you can't do, when you're in that place of vulnerability, when you're not even expecting God to be able to empower you and help you? I've seen that so many times in my life, when I literally feel like I'm down to zero hope, at the very end of the rope, and that's when he comes, not to go. Look at you at the end of the rope again, rope dangler. That's where I always catch you. I'm going to nickname you Person that constantly gets yourself in trouble. No, he's there to pick us up and bring us into grace and abundance, safety. You know blessing, and so I wonder if we could just just reframe the gift that is given to us and the opportunities that we have here, and I think that that inspires and brings joy and and and for us to. To just consider that idea that be instant, in season and out of season, that I'd be ready at all times. Well, that that's easier said than done if I have to do all the preparation. The only person I know is ready for the beach is Catherine. She has everything already in the purse and ready and I'm driving there and I have to stop at Walmart every time we go to the beach. It's a good thing there's one by the beach, but it's not the promise that you have to the beach. Good thing there's one by the beach, but it's not the promise that you have to be ready. It's the promise that God will empower you and do in you what you can't do in your own strength. Amen.
Speaker 1: There are practices that all of us are invited into, and this is what it means to be a person who is devoted to the living like Jesus did, to be devoted to the living like Jesus did, to be devoted to the practices that Jesus had. And Jesus was a man devoted to prayer and devoted to stillness and devoted to the meditation. And it is one of the things that Pastor Dennis is going to start for us a series on Wednesday nights on learning how to still ourselves, learning the quiet practice of meditation and contemplation, and learning how to prepare ourselves. Just as this verse says be alert, be ready at all times. Catherine and I since she's here, I'm going to talk about her a little bit more but we were in Oklahoma and we were on a short trip and someone introduced themselves to us and they had a young person with them and they said thank you so much for meeting them. We were meeting them and this young person got dragged along. It wasn't even their child, but it got dragged along to this boring meeting and it was their birthday. Did you ever not want to do something on your birthday, especially if you're like 11 and it was their birthday? Did you ever not want to do something on your birthday, especially if you're like 11. Anyway, this little person was there and within 10 minutes, catherine had for that person a cupcake and she had a banner and a crown and it had a candle. And this other person was astonished and said you didn't even know this person so you couldn't have known it was their birthday. And she says I'm ready for a candle. And this other person was astonished and said you didn't even know this person so you couldn't have known it was their birthday. And she says I'm ready for a celebration. She had it in her car, in a bag. The candle she got from the cafeteria not the candle, the cake, that wasn't old, but everything else was prepared for a celebration. That is Holy Communion, beloved. Every week Jesus is prepared, there's the feast, the master's coming, you're loved, and what does it look like for us to always be prepared for a celebration? Now, maybe you'll keep a banner and a crown. And let me tell you the look on this 11 year old face when she was at this board meeting. Now, all of a sudden, she was wearing a crown and a banner. That's good news, beloved. You can very ugly meeting if you have a banner on and a crown. What does it look like for all of us to say what does the world need now? A celebration Reminding everyone? We're at the table and the master is coming to serve us and love is there. So what does it look like for all of us to not just, you know, load up our car with party supplies, but to live our lives, willing to say where car with party supplies, but to live our lives, willing to say where is the joy and how can I be a part of it? Where is the pain and how can I bring healing? Where is the suffering and how can I attend and where is the spirit leading us into life that is full? Jesus said I've come, that you would have life and have it to the full. There is an invitation for all of us. There is a practice that we do every week, that we reorient ourselves toward feasting, we reorient ourselves toward wholeness and together, when we practice Holy Communion, we enter into a mystery. We enter into a place where we say we will allow the master to serve us. We are awake and it is joy.
Speaker 2: It is joy that brings us into the presence of love you know, for for years, um, uh, in, in in a small way, I think I've like resented my children, because I've watched Heather so consistently pick up after them and do the dishes and make the meals and help the laundry whenever she can, and just all this stuff. I'm like, well, they can learn. They can learn, and not that they don't do wonderful things around the house. But I'm just saying that that this effort of love has done something to my heart, that instead of all those years of trying to yell at somebody, get them to do something different, the whole time, really the only person in the house that really needed to change was me and uh and so so now you know, you know I'm picking up the, the dish towel way more, you know, than I ever did, you know, and and just finding that place to serve and because how long will I have the kids in the house anyway? Right, in the scheme of things, you know, it goes by so fast and it's like this is really a privilege and I'm seeing it as so and I think to myself that way of being a mother, that kind of love. I didn't understand it, maybe as a man, or just me personally and my issues. But as I saw it, I wanted to reject it, I wanted to correct it, I wanted to. But as I got on board, I see it as the love of god and I see it as that example of how leadership would not be served but would serve, and how that, at the end of the day, it wasn't about what I got them to do. It's about what we can teach, what we can reveal to our family and to the world. We miss many of us through think we got good logic and justification for why we need to correct these kids and do this and do that, or the people at work or whatever, when the real power is in loving and serving like Christ. I know this is not a popular message, but we're getting ready to go to communion now and we're going to the master, and we're not required to go to communion now. And we're going to the master and we're not required to crawl on our knees, we're not required to do some kind of you know, chant hours long in order to earn some place of forgiveness. But all of the forgiveness, all the heavy lifting has been done by our God and we're invited to this table, the table where we're not serving, but we're served. And now, if I could wish anything for you and me, it'd be that we would leave this table and go out and be a reflection of Christ. And what would that reflection be? That we would leave this table and go out and be a reflection of Christ. And what would that reflection be? Beating them over the head with the Bible telling them what they're doing wrong. No, don't shake your head. Yes to that. That was the wrong part. Oh, that we would just. We would love and serve with whatever breath we have left in our body.
Speaker 1: Would you pray with us this morning? God who is love? All-loving God, merciful God, may your spirit open the eyes of our understanding. May we see you, and may it be with delight that we look for you in unexpected places. For all of the needs that we have, we ask you to supply, for all of the harm that we have done. We ask you to forgive us For the harm that we have done. We ask you to forgive us For the harm that we have felt. We ask you to forgive them. We thank you for the peace that we will meet together at this communion table, for the grace that will be given to us, and we thank you for the opportunity to enter into the mystery of your love. By the power of the Holy Spirit, may you change the way that we think and may you allow us to see as Jesus sees. We hope you've enjoyed this week's sermon. If you would like more information about us, visit us online at firstlovechurchorg.