TOPIC: From a cup-bearer to a City Builder: Fulfilling the Purpose for Your Existence
TEXT: Nehemiah 2: 1-9
Nehemiah accepted the challenge to go and rebuild the city of Jerusalem. Unlike Jonah, Nehemiah
obeyed the Lord’s prompting and pursued the purpose of God for His life. He left the “juicy” office of a
cupbearer to become a city builder. May the Lord help each of us to positively and promptly respond to
God’s invitation to fulfil His purpose for our lives. Amen.
1. From verse 1-3, what do you think is responsible for Nehemiah’s sadness of heart?
2. What is a burden?
3. Mention some of the ways God-giving burdens are received? Exodus 2:11-13; 3:4-10, Nehemiah 1:2,
4:4-8, Acts 16
4. What is the vision God gave to Nehemiah? Nehemiah 2:5
a. How did Nehemiah receive that vision? Nehemiah 2:!2
b. How large was Nehemiah’s vision in Nehemiah 2:5
5. What do you understand from Nehemiah 2:4a
6. Mention some of the provisions Nehemiah received in fulfilling his God-giving vision. Nehemiah 2:5-
7. What encouragements can we derive from Nehemiah 2:5-9 as we pursue our God-given
8. From a cupbearer to a city builder, mention at least two factors you consider to be the secrete
behind Nehemiah’s elevation.
Permit me to remind you that you have a destiny to fulfil. When you leave your “palace” to begin to
fulfil the purpose of God for your life? Your fulfilment, blessing, promotion, etc. are all tied to your
fulfilling God’s purpose. May none of our lives be waste in Jesus name.