This is the 1st of a 3 part series to help you on your journey to Sugar Business Sweet Success! Whether you are new to the beauty industry or a seasoned pro, our goal is to guide you to make good decisions with your finances.
In this episode you will learn:
Episode 1: Employee or Independent Contractor
- Category of Workers in a Salon/Spa
- Straight Hourly Wage or Salary
- Receives Form W-2 from employer
- Income and payroll taxes are withheld
- Employer pays half of federal and state federal tax
- Independent Contractor
- Straight Rate
- Receives Form 1099 from salon/spa owner
- No income or payroll taxes are withheld
- IC is responsible for all taxes
- Booth Renter
- Leases space from salon/spa owner
- Doesn’t usually receive compensation from salon/spa owner
- Issues Form 1099 to salon/spa owner for rents paid (if $600 or more)
- Responsible for all taxes
- Why this matters
- Employee Rights
- Tax Evasion: non-payment of payroll taxes
- How do I know if I am an employee or Independent contractor?
- It’s all about Control!
- General Tests:
- Do you have to abide by their schedule?
- Do you have to adhere to a dress code?
- Do you have to follow specific salon training (systems and structure)?
- Do you have freedom as to what services you provide and how you provide them?
- Do you have to honor the salon or spa’s discounts, promotions and coupons?
- Do you have to charge the salon rates?
Learn More from Kenesha Coleman, The Beauty CPA @thebeautycpa or on her info packed website The Beauty CPA!
NEED MORE SUGARY INSPIRATION?
Get Your Sugaring Business Found and Network with the Sugaring Industry
by Joining The SugarNetwork and tagging your sugaring biz on @TheSugarNetwork on IG!
To meet more inspiring Sugarists and business masters, join us in the Love2Sugar FB Community for more knowledge!
Join us on the 'gram: @love2sugar
Did you enjoy this Sweet Episode? Be sure to hit SUBSCRIBE + leave a REVIEW and tell us why!
Thank you for joining us on this sugar journey!