For Agility's Sake
Becoming an Agile Leader - Rituparna Ghosh
Dec 07, 2020
Kyle Spitzley / Rituparna Ghosh
Rituparna Ghosh, General Manager and head of DevSecOps at Wipro shares her view on Agile Leadership. Ritu will be the first to tell you, she is still on the journey of becoming an Agile and Servant Leader.
In this episode we discuss:
- How leadership styles have changed over the past 15 years - what used to be "nice to have" leader skills are now a "must-have."
- What it feels like to transition from "command and control" to "servant leadership."
- The importance of psychological safety in creating the space for team members to dissent.
- Respecting the hierarchy of competence OVER the hierarchy of authority - being the most senior person in the room does not make you the most competent. Today's leaders need to recognize the value of competence and ensure it is given equal, if not greater, importance to seniority.
- The importance of spending time developing new skills (too often it is deprioritized to "get something else done."
- i-shaped, T-shaped and Comb shaped skillsets.
- Attributing success to the team, but failure to yourself.
- Conducting blameless post-mortems or retros
- Be a just and fair leader: balancing compassion, discipline and accountability. Set high expectations with your team and hold them accountable to it.
- Shifting between being the leader and being a member of the team.