HRchat Podcast - Interviews with HR, Talent and Tech Experts
#323: The Role of Background Checks When Sourcing Talent w/ Michael Boyce, Mintz Global Screening
August 05, 2021
The HR Gazette
Proper background checks for employment can help increase productivity, reduce costs, and preserve your corporate reputation.
Checks are, says today's guest, "an absolutely essential element in the hiring process in order to maintain a safe work environment". "Background screening", he says "empowers employers by providing them with the knowledge they need to make critical hiring decisions".
In HRchat 323, we consider the role of background checks when sourcing top talent. Listen too, as we explore how Covid and WFH placed new emphasis on the need to find ways to check candidates without access to traditional in-person screening methods.
Bill's guest this time is Michael Boyce, Director of Business Growth & Marketing at Mintz Global Screening.
Listen to get Michael's answers to such questions as:
- Why does Mintz believe it's vital to the management of the corporate brand and what would you say to those that say it's a bit too 'big brother'?
- Does referencing still matter, why can't HR managers just do a criminal check instead? Are references just full of positive statements from 'good references'?
- Do you come across a lot of companies that have written off reference checks completely? What are their reasons?
- What do you believe the consequences are of avoiding reference checks altogether?
- What are the main market and economic influences that impact whether people conduct reference checks? How has Covid-19 impacted Mintz?
- Do you believe the purpose of reference checking changed and/or have checks become more important due to new regulatory measures?
- What does the market look like at the moment? How much more important is it right now to have a resume that stands out?
We do our best to ensure editorial objectivity. The views and ideas shared by our guests and sponsors are entirely independent of The HR Gazette, HRchat Podcast, and Iceni Media Inc.