Upside Down Podcast
Season 6 | Episode 99: Persistence in Learning and Unlearning with Jonny Craig
February 08, 2022
Kayla Craig, Lindsy Wallace, Patricia Taylor, Alissa Molina
How do you break up with American Christianity and meaningfully make space for those in deconstruction? Co-hosts Alissa Molina, Patricia Taylor, and Kayla Craig talk with Jonny Craig, Kayla’s husband, our podcast editor, and the host of The Digital Community—an online space for sharing questions, doubts, and wonderings about God and culture.
In this episode, we:
- Dive into what deconstruction means for many and the experience of realizing that the world we learned about in church is different from the actual world we inhabit
- Talk about the creation of The Digital Community and how it’s for people who are looking to find spiritual fullness and safety beyond the walls of the church
- Point out the effort to preserve power by criticizing deconstruction and vilifying people of color and women
- Consider the lonesome, lonely journey of being in deconstruction and how much we need to connect with each other
- Ask the question, “What is culture, and what is Christ?” when unpacking church, biblical translations, and so on
- Talk about the need to divest from whiteness and sit under the leadership of historically marginalized groups
Join us for this conversation about finding and holding space for deconstructing and dismantling. Our hope is that you come away encouraged to persist in unlearning and learning, wherever you are.
News, Notes, and Links:Support the show