Upside Down Podcast
Season 6 | Episode 96: Persistence in Advent with Kat Armas
December 07, 2021
Kayla Craig, Lindsy Wallace, Patricia Taylor, Alissa Molina
Have you ever considered that Jesus is who he is because of a woman? Co-hosts Patricia Taylor and Kayla Craig talk with writer Kat Armas about this bigger, expansive, abuelita faith—one that persists, resists, and survives.
In this episode, we:
- Discuss the influence of Kat’s Roman Catholic upbringing on having a tangible and embodied view of Mother Mary
- Talk about Julian of Norwich’s image of Jesus as mother as well as Jesus being raised by a mother and being mothered himself
- Marvel at how marginalized women can contain the most sacred and most holy
- Define what abuelita theology means and how it’s birthed through our lived experiences
- Go over the difference between persistence and resistance and where they can meet and overlap on the journey to justice
- Ask who is in our spiritual genealogies and who are the theologians in our lives who wouldn’t be considered one by the dominant culture
- Wonder what are the places where we haven’t been trained to experience God
Join us for this stirring conversation about what a lived theology looks like from the perspective of being a woman. We hope that it enriches your experience of the Advent season.
News, Notes, and Links:
Support the show
- Follow along with Kat through her website, on Instagram, on Twitter, and through her podcast. You pick up her beautiful book, Abuelita Faith, here.
- Check out the Chasing Justice Masterclass that Kat co-led with Dr. Yolanda Pierce, “Rooted: Elders, Ancestors, and Collective Memory” here.
- Support more conversations like this on Upside Down Podcast! Please visit us, where you can pledge a few dollars of monthly support to help us pay our bills and keep the conversations going.
- Learn more at Upside Down Podcast.
- We’re on Instagram, too. You can find us individually at @patricia_a_taylor, @kayla_craig, @from_here_sessions, and @lindsy.wallace.
- Join the Upside Down Together listener group on Facebook!